• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2014 Wild Card |OT| The Prophet

Sephzilla

Playoff Predictions!

NFC
Wild Card Round
Arizona at Carolina - Arizona wins
Detroit at Dallas - Dallas wins

Divisional Round
Arizona at Seattle - Seattle wins
Dallas at Green Bay - Green Bay wins

NFC Championship Game
Green Bay at Seattle - Green Bay wins

AFC
Wild Card Round
Baltimore at Pittsburgh - Pittsburgh wins
Cincinnati at Indianapolis - Indianapolis wins

Divisional Round
Indianapolis at New England - New England wins
Pittsburgh at Denver - Denver wins

AFC Championship Game
Denver at New England - New England wins

Super Bowl XLIX
New England vs Green Bay - Green Bay wins

I honestly doubt Green Bay will walk into Seattle and win. But Green Bay is much different than they were at the start of this season and I think they're due to finally win there. Lynch is probably going to run for days against the Packer's defense though. I'm predicting Green Bay because they're my team.

Bread

Banned
i want nothing more than for suh to go to the bears so we can see kas get pissed at his dirty hits on stafford.

I purposely didn't lump everyone.

Just said I wouldn't be able to watch him. He has his flashes, but he's often too inconsistent and that's the last thing a franchise QB should be. He'll have a clean pocket and throw off his back foot lofting it 10 yards over or into the ground.

There's also the chance he pulls a Vinny Testeverde but he would most likely be on another team by then.

bionic77

Suh is the new Deebo. He's the face of Goodell's discipline in the league. It will be interesting to see what Goodell does here. Harrison would have been fined at a minimum. I don't think he'll suspend him but he had shown with Harrison that it didn't matter what point of the season it was.
You deserve an AP beatdown for comparing Harrison to Suh.

Everything Harrison did was while the ball was still in play. If he ever did something after a play it was usually to a crazy fan that he would body slam or do something else that was awesome.

Suh has a repeated history of trying to hurt people after the whistle has blown.

That is unacceptable in any sport.

Draxal

As a Giants fan i'd take Eli, but I think I'd take Ben if I wasn't a Giants fan.

I will say that I think its much easier for a qb to develop in Pittsburgh than either of the NY teams, we have a lot of dumb fans here and there is a shit ton of distractions here.

bionic77

Eli over Ben no doubt. Lest we forget that Ben won his first SB thanks to the refs.
Check the stats on his 3 road wins to get to that first Superbowl. No one had ever done that before and he did it in his 2nd year.

He beat a juggernaut Indy on the road and not only did he outplay PeyPey to a disgusting degree (Peytons only notable play was an absolute bullshit PI call) he also made the game saving tackle when Bettis tried to throw the game on the 1 yard line.

LJ11

Re-reading that off-season thread was great. Those pre-draft discussions were pretty good. LJ had great insight as always.

Every once in a while I get a few things right, also get a bunch of things wrong. I'm getting better at understanding what to look for, I think I understand RBs really well, but the other positions are harder to judge, it takes a lot of work. My problem of late is not concentrating 100% on the game I'm watching, which is what I did a few years ago. Suffering from F5 syndrome.

I'm glad you enjoy the game Farooq, posts are always constructive and positive.

Crisco

Banned
Obviously I expected the Panthers to win more than 7 games, but I always thought that a healthy Stewart could cover up a lot of the ugliness on offense. I think I said many times that this season hinged on him elevating the play of the offensive line. Well, it finally happened, but not until week 13 :/

Draxal

Every once in a while I get a few things right, also get a bunch of things wrong. I'm getting better at understanding what to look for, I think I understand RBs really well, but the other positions are harder to judge, it takes a lot of work. My problem of late is not concentrating 100% on the game I'm watching, which is what I did a few years ago. Suffering from F5 syndrome.

I'm glad you enjoy the game Farooq, posts are always constructive and positive.

Could I task you a homework assignment, a review of all the insane rookie wr production we had this year?

I'm really curious to see your thoughts about it.

effzee

I was at the game yesterday so missed any tv analysis but what was the consensus on that pass interference against the Giants when Sanchez threw a pick? It was early in the game. Coughlin looked like he was going to murder someone.

Mike Garafolo ‏@MikeGarafolo 30s30 seconds ago
If I heard him right, Woody Johnson says he would've taken Darrelle Revis back if he'd known he could get him for what NE paid ($12m).

Heh, New England making that tampering call to the league office as we speak.:)

I was at the game yesterday so missed any tv analysis but what was the consensus on that pass interference against the Giants when Sanchez threw a pick? It was early in the game. Coughlin looked like he was going to murder someone.
Ticky tacky call, IMO. Specifically because the refs were letting some pretty blatant stuff slide for most of the game up until that point.

MRSA

Banned
Sometimes you need to take a bath.

image.raw

Sephzilla

I don't think Suh's going to get as big of a payday as he thinks he's going to get. His rep is going to follow him to the negotiating table. Nobody outside of the Redskins or Raiders are going to drop an absurdly huge amount of money on a guy who's seemingly always one play away from getting a suspension. He's going to get a nice payday but not a really nice payday.

Check the stats on his 3 road wins to get to that first Superbowl. No one had ever done that before and he did it in his 2nd year.

He beat a juggernaut Indy on the road and not only did he outplay PeyPey to a disgusting degree (Peytons only notable play was an absolute bullshit PI call) he also made the game saving tackle when Bettis tried to throw the game on the 1 yard line.

Good for him.

Eli went to Lambeau twice and won.

Sephzilla

Good for him.

Eli went to Lambeau twice and won.

Lets be real though. Winning a playoff game in Lambeau isn't as significant as it used to be.

Quarterbacks who've beaten Green Bay at Lambeau in the playoffs during the modern age
-Michael Vick
-Duante Cullpepper
-Eli Manning (2x)
-Colin Keapernick

Vick really did shatter the Leambeau mystique

eznark

Banned
I don't think Suh's going to get as big of a payday as he thinks he's going to get. His rep is going to follow him to the negotiating table. Nobody outside of the Redskins or Raiders are going to drop an absurdly huge amount of money on a guy who's seemingly always one play away from getting a suspension. He's going to get a nice payday but not a really nice payday.

He'll be the highest paid DT in the league on some shit tier team. Like the Lions.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'

Moose called out a potential PI against the Eagles early in the game that wasn't called and he specifically said that as long as that's the way they call it all game he is good with the no call. He called out the refs on that PI you reference.

Looking at the play live I thought it was a PI, so I am OK with the call.

LJ11

Could I task you a homework assignment, a review of all the insane rookie wr production we had this year?

I'm really curious to see your thoughts about it.

I've been thinking about this actually, thought about it this morning. I want to concentrate on how they're used more than anything. We'll see.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
Lets be real though. Winning a playoff game in Lambeau isn't as significant as it used to be.

Even when the windchill brings it to -20?

That game was honestly the greatest game I have ever seen the Giants play. Between the weather, Plax abusing Harris, the C-Web pick in OT, and the flat out greatest play I have ever seen - Antonio Pierce splitting two blockers and tackling Ryan Grant on a screen that would have gone for miles - it was incredible.

My neighbor called the cops on me for being too loud watching that game.

The Pierce play.

Draxal

I've been thinking about this actually, thought about it this morning. I want to concentrate on how they're used more than anything. We'll see.

Cool, I'll be honest with you the Giants would have been unwatchable without OBJr. He salvaged this season from a watchability standpoint.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
The Browns were 6-4, averaging 356.1 yards per game, before wide receiver Josh Gordon was reinstated.

The Browns were 1-4, averaging 274.6 yards per game, with Gordon on the field.

Which Pats fan was arguing that with Gordon, the Browns go 19-0?

Bread

Banned

That game was honestly the greatest game I have ever seen the Giants play. Between the weather, Plax abusing Harris, the C-Web pick in OT, and the flat out greatest play I have ever seen - Antonio Pierce splitting two blockers and tackling Ryan Grant on a screen that would have gone for miles - it was incredible.

The Pierce play.
i remember coughlin's disgusting red face like it was yesterday

Sephzilla

That NFC title game was amazing, no doubt. Vick might have shattered the Lambeau playoff mystique but the Giants that year flat out buried it.

That was also the game that I think permanently hurt my opinion of Mike McCarthy as a coach. Dude got flat out out-coached, ignored Ryan Grant when he was on fire leading up to that game (13 carries?!), never bothered to give Harris some help against Plax after Harris was clearly out-matched. I know a lot of Packers fans who blame Favre for that loss because of the late game pick, but that interception in my opinion was pretty much the culmination of McCarthy's shit-tier play calling that entire game.

I still blame McCarthy for denying us God-Tier Favre vs God-Tier Brady. Both QBs were playing out of their minds that year and that would have been one of the best Super Bowls ever. It would have also potentially prevented the Favre breakup from happening and lead to a more healthy transition from Favre to Rodgers because Favre pretty clearly wanted his last game to be a Super Bowl.

Suh and Fairley gonna both bolt in the offseason aka next Monday

I think Fairley stays given the injury. He'll get a short term, home team discount type deal IMO. We still don't know what injury he has, but allegedly he could play next against Dallas (I doubt it).

Suh is gone.

BigAT

Moose called out a potential PI against the Eagles early in the game that wasn't called and he specifically said that as long as that's the way they call it all game he is good with the no call. He called out the refs on that PI you reference.

Looking at the play live I thought it was a PI, so I am OK with the call.

The far more ridiculous call (or lack thereof) was on the play where there was DPI against Beckham, then he took a helmet-to-helmet hit when he was a defenseless receiver, then Beckham took off his helmet because he was so furious about the no call. It should have been three different flags on the play but the refs threw none. It was like they completely forgot there was a game going on for a play.

Re: Eli or Ben, I think it's one of those rare circumstances where each guy is best meant for team he is playing for. I think Eli might have gotten killed behind some of those Pittsburgh lines where Ben's size and mobility allowed him to survive with them (although Eli's movement in the pocket is a highly underrated part of his game). I'm not sure that Ben could have handled New York and I'm not sure that he would have fit as well with the team makeup of the Giants either.

Do the Cardinals or Panthers actually have any remote shot of beating Seattle in Seattle?

Realistically? I don't give the Panthers a great shot.

I would comfortably favor Seattle by two touchdowns in that game.

The Panthers' late-season surge has come against an easier schedule and its hard to tell how much of the turn-around is actually Cam playing better, Stewart healthy, offensive line/secondary rebuilt and how much is playing the Saints, Bucs, Browns, and Falcons. I mean they did just get beat by a billion points by the Vikings right before this streak.

But...crazier things have happened and the Panthers want to play the way you have to beat Seattle. Control the ball and the clock with a physical run game and play punishing defense.

At this point, it's why not us? If Flacco and Dilfer can win Bowls anyone can

Respect

The Pierce play.

I was waiting for the post game press release that Coughlin's face had suffered from frost bite.

For you Jets fans:

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 3m3 minutes ago
The #Jets have reached out to #Vikings assistant GM George Paton, source says. They tried to get him last time, too.

Mike Garafolo ‏@MikeGarafolo 4m4 minutes ago
The Ron Wolf connection. RT @AaronNagler: @MikeGarafolo mentions @alonzohighsmith and @eliotwolf46 as possible GMs for the Jets.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
My mistake, Brandon Jackson not Ryan Grant.

Looking at the youtube clip they show an angle from the opposite endzone, it was a sure TD if Pierce doesn't get there. I remember sitting there thinking after that play that there was no way Pierce or anyone on that D was going to let us lose that game. I might have to dig up my DVD set of that year's playoff run.

brentech

I think Fairley stays given the injury. He'll get a short term, home team discount type deal IMO. We still don't know what injury he has, but allegedly he could play next against Dallas (I doubt it).

Suh is gone.
Was reading about Fairley last night. Wasn't sure why he was missing time.
Sounds like there is a very limited possibility of him playing. He hasn't practiced with the team at all to this point. But he has done some solo stuff.

Top Bottom