• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2014 Wild Card |OT| The Prophet

Sephzilla

The more I watch the Suh play from yesterday the more it looks like his second step was pretty deliberate. If it was any other player they'd get a fine. But Suh and his history warrants a suspension on top of a fine. This guy is a chronic dumbass who needs to be taught a lesson.

I'd personally go harsh on him and suspend him for the next playoff game and then suspend him for the first game or two of next season just so the next team that signs him remembers who they picked up.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
What job do you think is the #1 opening?

San Francisco has a monster defense so you'll win games there. No clue what you do about Kaepernick though. Someone like Gus Mahlzahn would probably do well with him but I'm not sure if he'd make the jump to the NFL. Crazy how he was just at Shiloh Christian not too long ago.

BigAT

Atlanta? Awful division where it will be easy to win right away, talent on offense already in place, top 10 draft pick and the bar for success is set at being slightly less stupid than Mike Smith.

brentech

Atlanta? Awful division where it will be easy to win right away, talent on offense already in place, top 10 draft pick and the bar for success is set at being slightly less stupid than Mike Smith.

'I called the timeout because they would have."

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'

Atlanta by a mile. It is the most talented and you will have a long leash because the rest of the division is so bad.

I had issues with Fewell, but my concern with the offensive line is that the Giants FO always looked short term with it and not long term and that's what caused the disaster the last 3 years of that o line

Beatty is not the long term solution that position imho (health concerns), and we now have a chance to really solidify a line that while making progress still has holes and is paper thin. And the run blocking was still awful.

I disagree.

2014 draft:
Round 2 - Weston Richburg

2013 draft:
Round 1 - Justin Pugh
Round 7 - Eric Herman

2012 draft:
Round 4 - Brandon Mosley
Round 6 - Matt McCants

2011 draft:
Round 4 - James Brewer

2010 draft:
Round 5 - Mitch Petrus

They spent high value picks in the last 2 drafts along with bringing in a revolving door of FAs over the years. They have attempted to address the OL problem with a lot of personnel. I have thought for years that this has been a coaching issue. I find it hard to believe that for 5 years of draft picks they flat out missed on the picks at the OL.

Sephzilla

Atlanta has been "that team that's on the brink" for what feels like forever. Coaching might be the issue but honestly I just think their talent is overrated.

Yeah, literally anyone from our Madden league would be more effective at clock management than Mike Smith. It's impossible not to be an upgrade in Atlanta.

In terms of clock management Mike McCarthy would be a downgrade

This is going to sound crazy I know, but I don't think I want JPP back at that price. He is too inconsistent. I recognize that the Giants as a whole are inconsistent but the only way out of that type of malaise is what they have been doing more of lately with the "Captain's drafts". I feel like it would be rewarding someone for turning it on at the second half of a contract year. I'll pass on that.
I think a better coordinator works some of that inconsistency out of him. I also think that we've seen the type of impact he can have when he's healthy and productive as a pass rusher and he flashed that again. Not just against shitty competition either. He made a fool out of Jason Peters yesterday on a number of occasions. Even when he's not being a dynamic pass rusher, he's a superb run stopping DE. Yes, misdirection can cause lapses with him but overall I tend to disagree with the view that he hasn't been productive this season outside of the final stretch.

I think he's worth a 5-6 year, 55 million dollar contact with 25-28 million in guaranteed money. Front load the contract and give the team the freedom to cut bait after 3 seasons. Anything above that and you let him walk.

I disagree.

2014 draft:

2013 draft:
Round 1 - Justin Pugh
Round 7 - Eric Herman

2012 draft:
Round 4 - Brandon Mosley
Round 6 - Matt McCants

2011 draft:
Round 4 - James Brewer

2010 draft:
Round 5 - Mitch Petrus

They spent high value picks in the last 2 drafts along with bringing in a revolving door of FAs over the years. They have attempted to address the OL problem with a lot of personnel. I have thought for years that this has been a coaching issue. I find it hard to believe that for 5 years of draft picks they flat out missed on the picks at the OL.
Agreed on this front.

suh.gif

Someone is going to blow this dudes knee up one day. After all the bounty bullshit, there was never any evidence of Saints players intentionally injuring/trying to injure an opposing player, yet this fucker does the shit on a regular basis.

Sephzilla

Cam gonna get his first playoff win. I remember when you idiots thought they wouldn't even get into the playoffs.

7 win teams shouldn't be allowed in the playoffs.

real talk - i dont want carolina coming to green bay. the ghost of Michael Vick still haunts Lambeau Field, mobile QBs always give us fits

TheFatOne

I think a better coordinator works some of that inconsistency out of him. I also think that we've seen the type of impact he can have when he's healthy and productive as a pass rusher and he flashed that again. Not just against shitty competition either. He made a fool out of Jason Peters yesterday on a number of occasions. Even when he's not being a dynamic pass rusher, he's a superb run stopping DE. Yes, misdirection can cause lapses with him but overall I tend to disagree with the view that he hasn't been productive this season outside of the final stretch.

I think he's worth a 5-6 year, 55 million dollar contact with 25-28 million in guaranteed money. Front load the contract and give the team the freedom to cut bait after 3 seasons.

If the Pats didn't have to resign a bunch of guys JPP is who I would want the Pats to go after. He would be an excellent fit for this Pats defense.

Beatty is not the long term solution that position imho (health concerns),
Two things:

He just played a full 16 game season with no issues.

Outside of the last two games where he decided to become a holding machine - he had an extremely solid season. Far better than David Diehl who manned the LT tackle position for years and a monster improvement over an extremely shitty 2013 campaign.

He's not really in a position to be cut until 2016 either. The interior of the offensive line continues to be a much bigger problem than the tackles. Address the defensive line in the first round and look at a quality guard in the second, IMO.

bionic77

Someone is going to blow this dudes knee up one day. After all the bounty bullshit, there was never any evidence of Saints players intentionally injuring/trying to injure an opposing player, yet this fucker does the shit on a regular basis.
The amazing part of this is how dumb he is.

He knows that there are cameras on him and yet he still pulls that shit.

BigAT

The more I watch the Suh play from yesterday the more it looks like his second step was pretty deliberate. If it was any other player they'd get a fine. But Suh and his history warrants a suspension on top of a fine. This guy is a chronic dumbass who needs to be taught a lesson.

I'd personally go harsh on him and suspend him for the next playoff game and then suspend him for the first game or two of next season just so the next team that signs him remembers who they picked up.

I think it should be obvious to anyone whose brain isn't stuffed with food and blanket hatred of an entire religious group that it was intentional. Not only is the second step backwards incredibly deliberate, he also lifts up his other foot for absolutely no reason other than to make sure all of his weight is placed on the cleat that is on top of Rodgers. He doesn't even look back to see who or what he just stomped on because he knew who was there.

Anyone else I might be alright with just a fine, but I don't see how you don't give someone with Suh's history a suspension for that.

Tom Penny

I find it amusing when analyst say Marvin Lewis shouldn't be fired even if he one and done's again because he's made the Bengals a contender every year..

Sephzilla

Honestly I'm kind of surprised it hasn't happened yet.

I think it should be obvious to anyone whose brain isn't stuffed with food and blanket hatred of an entire religious group that it was intentional. Not only is the second step backwards incredibly deliberate, he also lifts up his other foot for absolutely no reason other than to make sure all of his weight is placed on the cleat that is on top of Rodgers. He doesn't even look back to see who or what he just stomped on because he knew who was there.

Anyone else I might be alright with just a fine, but I don't see how you don't give someone with Suh's history a suspension for that.

Agreed - Suh's history warrants a suspension. I'd honestly multi-game suspend him honestly since that will probably impact his free agent payday slightly.

I feel like any normal human being would look back and step forward if they didn't know what they just stepped on. Unless he has no feeling in his legs or hips, there is no way you just don't know that your foot changed elevations.....twice.

Yeah, Suh never looking to see who he's stepping on is also pretty damning considering the only thing he could possibly be stepping on is another human.

brentech

I feel like any normal human being would look back and step forward if they didn't know what they just stepped on. Unless he has no feeling in his legs or hips, there is no way you just don't know that your foot changed elevations.....twice.

tmdorsey

Atlanta has been "that team that's on the brink" for what feels like forever. Coaching might be the issue but honestly I just think their talent is overrated.

There is little to no talent on the defensive side on the ball and no depth at O-Line. That's the major problems with the team.

Draxal

Atlanta by a mile. It is the most talented and you will have a long leash because the rest of the division is so bad.

I disagree.

2014 draft:

2013 draft:
Round 1 - Justin Pugh
Round 7 - Eric Herman

2012 draft:
Round 4 - Brandon Mosley
Round 6 - Matt McCants

2011 draft:
Round 4 - James Brewer

2010 draft:
Round 5 - Mitch Petrus

Compare that to 49ers and the Cowboys drafts when they built up their offensive lines. 4-7 is too much of a crap shoot to rely on developing offensive linemen. You need to spend 1-3's to really build a solid line and they haven't until now. Look at how many premium picks they spent on the defensive line during that time.

Two things:

He just played a full 16 game season with no issues.

Outside of the last two games where he decided to become a holding machine - he had an extremely solid season. Far better than David Diehl who manned the LT tackle position for years and a monster improvement over an extremely shitty 2013 campaign.

He's not really in a position to be cut until 2016 either. The interior of the offensive line continues to be a much bigger problem than the tackles. Address the defensive line in the first round and look at a quality guard in the second, IMO.

I wanted Diehl gone for a long time, and the inability for the Giants to find someone to push him out of that role hurt a ton. if we're drafting a left tackle next year, that has Pugh moving to the inside and we'd be set at the guards and center (moving Richburg there).

And as much as I've knocked Reese and Ross, their ability to find second round defensive tackles that play well is rather uncanny. I don't see the need to spend a premium pick top ten pick on defensive line unless for some miracle Randy Gregory or Leonard Williams falls down there (which they won't).

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
So basically Suh is trying to be just like Warren Sapp in every way. How long before he tries to murder someone on the field with a cheap shot?

Agreed. I can at least entertain the argument that the first step was accidental, but that second was obviously a blatant "I don't give a shit" move. Most people have the situational awareness to immediately get off someone, after stepping on them.

Suspend him for 5 games (ie 1 playoff loss and 4 games next season). Perhaps that will hurt his contract negotiation and really make him "get" that his behavior is unacceptable. I doubt it.

Sephzilla

There is little to no talent on the defensive side on the ball and no depth at O-Line. That's the major problems with the team.

I don't watch many Atlanta games so correct me if I'm wrong here but I kind of think Matty Ice is overrated. It doesn't seem like he shows up for big games very often.

bionic77

Yeah he really should be suspended for at least 2 games because it was intentional and after the play was over.

I would even be ok with an 8 game suspension.

The Lewis stuff makes me wonder how Jeff Fisher always seems to skate by for being such a thoroughly below average coach. He's had 6 winning seasons in 20 as a head coach. Lewis has already had 6 in half that time.

I don't watch many Atlanta games so correct me if I'm wrong here but I kind of think Matty Ice is overrated. It doesn't seem like he shows up for big games very often.

We're all waiting for that one big time, top flight, "this guy is elite" win still.

Yesterday would have been a great chance to say, despite being beleaguered all season, you have a chance to snuff out the growing fires of a rival's momentum, end their season, and go on and likely face a still depleted Cardinals team you've already beat and double your playoff win total.

He then throws 0 TDs and 2 Pick-Sixes.

That being said, when you have approximately a second and a half to loose the ball before your pocket collapses, it's difficult to find consistency. There are a lot of pieces the Falcons need to find before Ryan will have a chance to ever be great again.

bionic77

The Lewis stuff makes me wonder how Jeff Fisher always seems to skate by for being such a thoroughly below average coach. He's had 6 winning seasons in 20 as a head coach. Lewis has already had 6 in half that time.
I think Lewis should share the coach of the year award with Arians.

How many people could win 10 games with Andy Dalton as their qb?

Duxxy3

Any picks on who fills the coaching vacancies?

Niners - McDaniels
Raiders - Coach
Jets - Coach and GM
Bears - Coach and GM
Falcons - Coach

Expecting at least one more opening by the end of the week.

Sephzilla

Agreed. I can at least entertain the argument that the first step was accidental, but that second was obviously a blatant "I don't give a shit" move. Most people have the situational awareness to immediately get off someone, after stepping on them.

Suspend him for 5 games (ie 1 playoff loss and 4 games next season). Perhaps that will hurt his contract negotiation and really make him "get" that his behavior is unacceptable. I doubt it.

I think 5 games seems appropriate. Myself I'd straight up say that 4 of those games take effect at the start of next season just to guarantee it affects his contract negotiations a little (but lets be real they aren't surviving Dallas).

Jeff Fisher still getting coaching gigs while Vince Young cant land a starting job feels like a slight injustice to me.

I honestly think the Lions would have had a better chance to win with Chase Daniels or another respectable backup at QB. You can't throw 40 times and complete less than 50% of your passes. So many Stafford throws were way over the head / to the side of an open receiver. And largely because he thinks he's too good to throw with respectably proper form.
If Green Bay had total lockdown on the WRs, sure, okay. But that just wasn't the case.

If that was my franchise QB, I'd seriously have a hard time watching that team. It's not like this is one time problem.

Don't lump us all in with Kas. He was beyond awful yesterday. In the biggest game of his NFL career, to this point, no less. Detroit will be handicapped by that contract for a long time

I wanted Diehl gone for a long time, and the inability for the Giants to find someone to push him out of that role hurt a ton. if we're drafting a left tackle next year, that has Pugh moving to the inside and we'd be set at the guards and center (moving Richburg there).
This keeps coming up over and over again but I don't think the Giants have any interest whatsoever in moving Justin Pugh inside. He was drafted as a tackle and he's playing as a tackle.

If Coughlin is retained its even more obvious that will remain the case. That's actually one of my fears if Coughlin stays - that they'll take the improved play by the line at the end of the year as a reason to keep JD Walton at center and Richburg at LG which I'd fucking hate.

Top Bottom