• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2014 Wild Card |OT| The Prophet

Milchjon

I want a Bloomin Onion mascot avatar...

B6SAsLTCUAICfku.jpg:large

Bowser

Albert Breer ‏@AlbertBreer 14s14 seconds ago
Doug Marrone informed Bills players last night of his decision -- after news broke -- via a mass text. Said to call if they needed anything.

hahahahaha

Who knew Marrone was such a hot commodity.

Some of you brahs are missing out, college football all day, college football for all! Today we are all CollegeU

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
For slo:

giphy.gif

Albert Breer ‏@AlbertBreer 14s14 seconds ago
Doug Marrone informed Bills players last night of his decision -- after news broke -- via a mass text. Said to call if they needed anything.

hahahahaha

Not sure what he's supposed to do. Call 70 guys?

zychi

Banned
Not sure what he's supposed to do. Call 70 guys?
according to chicago radio, press conferences are bad, dont ever have one, or theyll make fun of it for 6 months until the horse is just pieces of mud.

Dude didnt have to do anything, you think Orton did anything besides announce he retired? Doubt it.

squicken

If Howie forces out Chip there are not enough lols

I just remembered we have Chudzinski, so he'd probably take over when Pep leaves.

Yeah and I'm not sure that isn't an upgrade, though I doubt Pep goes anywhere. Not sure what he has done to warrant a HC job, but that's the case for almost every potential guy

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
Give them the heads up before the news broke.

Whatever. Like 15 minutes notice is going to make them feel better. Marrone didn't break the news himself, did he? More likely he gave an ultimatum to ownership and they told the media before they told Marrone. Front offices will do anything they can to make themselves look better and throw their employees under the bus. Basic politics.

Not defending Marrone. He gambled and the Bills called his bluff.

squicken

So apparently Marrone wanted extensions for his assistants and himself, and ownership wouldn't give it to him. Really, I hardly see him as a bad guy. There's no way to tell the team w/o it leaking, and he can't call every guy on the roster

Offseason is all about business. I think he did what most anyone would do given circumstances

Bowser

Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 3m3 minutes ago
Bill Polian informed Bills owner Terry Pegula that he will remain as ESPN NFL analyst for 2015 and beyond, per @mortreport.

squicken

Michael Silver ‏@MikeSilver
Bill Polian decides to stay at ESPN, rather than return to Bills front office. He wanted to work with Doug Marrone, aka Mr. Popular.

Michael Silver
When I told you a few days ago Marrone was held in high esteem in coaching/GM/owner circles, I wasn't lying. Jets, Bears, Falcons interviews
Polian staying at ESPN. At least some good news for Bills fans

squicken

I know he is staying in school, but I'd rather have Connor Cook than Jameis Winston. I'm not sold on Mariotta but his potential seems much higher and he doesn't have the floor Winston does

Bowser

I know he is staying in school, but I'd rather have Connor Cook than Jameis Winston. I'm not sold on Mariotta but his potential seems much higher and he doesn't have the floor Winston does

Seriously? Cook looks like shit today against Baylor's suspect D IMO. On the field, give me Winston all day.

Michael Silver ‏@MikeSilver 3m3 minutes ago
Bill Polian decides to stay at ESPN, rather than return to Bills front office. He wanted to work with Doug Marrone, aka Mr. Popular...

Michael Silver ‏@MikeSilver 2m2 minutes ago
When I told you a few days ago Marrone was held in high esteem in coaching/GM/owner circles, I wasn't lying. Jets, Bears, Falcons interviews

Everybody Loves Doug

Spinluck

Chud would pull a total 180 to Pep's offense. His offense would resemble's Arians Colts O.

Interesting notes on the Arizona / Carolina matchup (h/t to Chris Wesseling's preview: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...review-cardinalspanthers?campaign=Twitter_atn):

Arizona
  • Arizona's 73 points in the final six weeks of the season are the least by any playoff team since 1936.
  • They have managed just four offensive touchdowns in the last 27 quarters (75 drives) combined.
  • They are 8-1 when gaining at least 330 yards and 3-4 when gaining fewer.
  • Their rushing average of 3.29 yards per carry is the lowest in the league and tied for the sixth-lowest by a postseason team since 1980.
  • The Cardinals were 4-4 on the road this season, allowing more points (19.9) than they scored (18.4).
  • Larry Fitzgerald's 117.5 receiving yards per game is the highest total in history.
  • Arizona's defense has held 13 of 16 opponents to 20 points or fewer. They are also the only team in the NFL to surrender at least 500 yards in four different games.
  • A testament to Arians and Bowles, no team lost more 10-game starters from 2013 to 2014 than Arizona.

Carolina
  • Carolina's defense ranked 19th in Football Outsiders' metrics in Weeks 1-9. Since Week 10, they are fifth.
  • Among defensive ends, Charles Johnson's 52 quarterback hurries are second only to J.J. Watt's 54, per Pro Football Focus.
  • Rookie pass rusher Kony Ealy has registered a sack in each of the past three games.
  • Newton has been sacked fewer times since Week 11 (8.0) than in Week 10 alone (9.0).
  • Three of Newton's four highest rushing totals of the season have come in his last three starts. He also has a rushing score in each of the past three games after managing just two in the previous 15.
  • Since 2011, only Tom Brady and Russell Wilson have more wins in December and January than Newton.
  • The Panthers could have as many as eight different starters this week than in Week 1.

Assuming, Pagano somehow figures out that you can't run a power running scheme with subpar linemen (except Castanzo, he's our best guy).

I still have no clue how the Cards were winning games.

I've already seen the future, Bucs fall in love with Winston in the offseason. They him the number 1 pick.

Bowser

I see Cook as a Dalton+

I see Winston as a fatter Big Ben w/JFF's giveafuck

When FSU wins the title again this year, Winston will solidify himself as a top 2 pick. I honestly hope the Bucs pass on him for Mariota.

edit: and weren't you a huge JFF fan?

I see Cook as a Dalton+

I see Winston as a fatter Big Ben w/JFF's giveafuck
Winston does stupid shit, and might have sexually assaulted a girl. But I don't think he's not in the party scene and limelight as much as JFF. Especially seeing some of those espn Winston stories.

I honestly cant help but think Winston will rise once the draft process actually starts

LJ11

What do you see in Cook?

He's a rollercoaster

Spinluck

If Howie forces out Chip there are not enough lols

Yeah and I'm not sure that isn't an upgrade, though I doubt Pep goes anywhere. Not sure what he has done to warrant a HC job, but that's the case for almost every potential guy

Pep is ok, but really stubborn it seems. Only willing to make adjustments that matter when we're being fucked.

Idk if it takes much to be the HC of the Raiders. And you're right, Pagano got a HC job just by being a master motivator alone. I guess his personality fit whatever it is we look for in coaches (being a suck up or pushover). He did not really have much credentials working with a talented bunch in BAL. He doesn't seem like the type of coach who can turn shit to gold.

After next season, Cook would need a good off-season program to prepare him for the NFL. He's shown improvement and promise but doesn't have great arm strength or accuracy.

He's a better Ryan Mallett.

Packers should draft him in the late round.

squicken

Winston does stupid shit, and might have sexually assaulted a girl. But I don't think he's in the party scene and limelight as much as JFF. Especially seeing some of those espn Winston stories.

I honestly cant help but think Winston will rise once the draft process actually starts

I'll probably repeat this a 100 times throughout the offseason, but Jameis gained 30 lbs last offseason. That's crazy for a college athlete. Not like his metabolism will get faster as a pro

Winston does stupid shit, and might have sexually assaulted a girl. But I don't think he's in the party scene and limelight as much as JFF. Especially seeing some of those espn Winston stories.

I honestly get help but think Winston will rise once the draft process actually starts

But is he gonna put in the work needed to be successful in the NFL? I don't think he will, Mariota seems like he will and wants to, but who knows.

I'm just glad we have our QB of the future and glad the Browns passed on him.

Pep is ok, but really stubborn it seems. Only willing to make adjustments that matter when we're being fucked.

Idk if it takes much to be the HC of the Raiders. And you're right, Pagano got a HC job just by being a master motivator alone. I guess his personality fit whatever it is we look for in coaches (being a suck up or pushover). He did not really have much credentials working with a talented bunch in BAL. He doesn't seem like the type of coach who can turn shit to gold.

I think he might just be our Rooney rule interview. I don't think he'll get much consideration as they really seem to want someone with HC experience.

squicken

What do you see in Cook?

He's a rollercoaster

I see him as a better Dalton. That's more of my thoughts on Winston than Cook. I love Winston's potential but I just really doubt he hits it.

I'm sure some QB needy team will roll the dice on Jameis. Like all other players, so much depends on who drafts him

Top Bottom