• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2015 Week 2 |OT| - A Fraud’s First Steps

Status
Not open for further replies.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
It may be sacrilegious to say it, and you don't want to overreact over two games, but Dion Lewis looks better than Shane Vereen, Danny Woodhead, or even Kevin Faulk in the Patriots offense.

He's passing the eye test. He looks basically like what I thought vereen was. Guy who can mix it up in a sense that when running between the tackles, he at least has some sort of credibility. Danny could do it as well, but he really struggled with his size to shed tackles, he more used the line to get lost.

doesn't matter if he keeps fumbling though

Agreed.

Just really not jelling for sure

Graham to me seems like a bit of a diva. He was always hurt with some sort of ailments, be it wrist, foot, etc. and he seemed streaky. More of a product of his quarterback, and I'm really not sure this is going to work out for him. Obviously it's ridiculously early still, but we'll see.

Any CBs out on the market potentially? Keenan Lewis I'm lookin at you. Pats need a lot of help back there. Fletcher is atrocious.

bionic77

Can we talk about how good Shazier is? Dude had 15 tackle, 11 solo and three for a loss. He also had a sack, forced fumble and fumble recovery.
The defense has been getting good pressure for both games now. I love the athleticism we have with the young guys. We are getting good push and our LBs are killing it.

The secondary is just too raw but my hope was that they could become slightly above average with some seasoning by the end of the season.

Williams has been very good so far and I hope the coaches can figure out how to keep both him and Bell involved in the offense. We don't want to overuse Bell like we did last season but it can be tough to work both backs into the offense where they both get the right amount of touches.

I'm not off. I'm definitely off the O-Line bandwagon though. They've flat out sucked.

Yep in my 35 years of watching football I have never seen an OL perform worse. Guys are just running free through the A gaps every single play. The whole offense is predicated on wearing defenses out through the quick pace and then hitting them for big plays once they are sucking wind. The only defense that is being tired out now is the Eagles though. These constant 3 and outs that only last 30 seconds is killing the D. I have no doubt that we will see see Bunche starting soon but which one do you replace when they have both been terrible? You really have to wonder how different the OL would be this year with Todd and Evan in there.

eznark

Banned
Yep in my 35 years of watching football I have never seen an OL perform worse. Guys are just running free through the A gaps every single play. The whole offense is predicated on wearing defenses out through the quick pace and then hitting them for big plays once they are sucking wind. The only defense that is being tired out now is the Eagles though. These constant 3 and outs that only last 30 seconds is killing the D. I have no doubt that we will see see Bunche starting soon but which one do you replace when they have both been terrible? You really have to wonder how different the OL would be this year with Todd and Evan in there.

TL7o0ht.gif

Farooq

Banned
I remember that :jnc God Damn Bobby carpenter was with us. Ended up being nick named Barbie and pat Watkins I was so excited about him
Edit: no surgery for Romo still out 8 weeks

8 weeks. Time to see how well this coaching staff adjusts.

Thoughts on the niners.

Defense - Steelers offense is really good but that was still embarrassing. Ben wasn't even hit once (much less sacked) and receivers had consistent separation from the DBs. Run defense was solid.

Offense - well, I got criticized here last week for pointing out that the o-line was terrible. Need more proof? That is not an NFL level offensive line when it comes to pass protection. Even worse than being incapable of protecting the QB (I mean, many times they were beat one on one without even slowing the rusher) they were drive killers with their penalties (especially the redzone). Again, receivers got zero separation from the DBs so all throws had to be high and away or back shoulder. The TD to Smith is actually a good example...the ball had to be lasered in to a very specific spot or there is no chance. Boldin just flat our dropped a couple passes (nice TD though). Our TEs are categorically bad and Davis isn't NFL quality in either receiving or blocking.

Some positive takeaways - Kaep was great the entire game. Given no protection and bad receivers one can't really expect anything more. I don't buy the "numbers in garbage time!" argument as the Steelers never let up as evidenced by the niners inability to run in the second half either. Also, this game was total scheduling bullshit so the team probably isn't as bad as they performed (although the o-line is). Six days to east coast and early game against a great team playing on twelve days? Yeah right.

I dunno if you can say that...He's playing well but there were some mistakes. Fumble handoff, He took a huge loss on that one scramble play where he tried to avoid the sack.

One thing I'd like to point out...our special teams has not been very good. Last week we had a blocked FG/fumbled punt. This week it was cut backs and not taking the touchback. Our starting position on all those drives in the first half were terrible and self imposed. This is especially concerning if you're trying to play a ball control style offense as field position is doubly important. Also, I miss Andy Lee...This new punter just doesn't have the same leg strength.

Farooq

Banned
Saints, Bucs and maybeeee falcons look winnable. Maybe we split with either eagles or giants the pats, hawks are sure L tho.

Yea, it doesn't look great. I hope Weeden gets the Cowboys into the right plays. Namely in the run game. Can't be checking into runs against run blitzes like last game.

Edit: Partly why I hope Moore gets promoted from PS. He would be better at it than Weeden.

rokkerkory

He's passing the eye test. He looks basically like what I thought vereen was. Guy who can mix it up in a sense that when running between the tackles, he at least has some sort of credibility. Danny could do it as well, but he really struggled with his size to shed tackles, he more used the line to get lost.

Agreed.

Graham to me seems like a bit of a diva. He was always hurt with some sort of ailments, be it wrist, foot, etc. and he seemed streaky. More of a product of his quarterback, and I'm really not sure this is going to work out for him. Obviously it's ridiculously early still, but we'll see.

Any CBs out on the market potentially? Keenan Lewis I'm lookin at you. Pats need a lot of help back there. Fletcher is atrocious.

most of the #1 receivers in the nfl are divas?

Bitanator

Saints, Bucs and maybeeee falcons look winnable. Maybe we split with either eagles or giants the pats, hawks are sure L tho.

Don't forget our secret weapon, those false starts kept the clock running, eating up time of possession haha. If Dez can limp into the second Giants game, that will help, I think we can win against falcons and saints while losing to the Pats. If our defense competes at the level they have, and a hope and a prayer we can squeak by here knowing how shitworth the east is this year. Maybe Romo comes back after the second eagles game and we push into the playoffs.

If anything this is not like 2010 where our team was shit and Dallas was already out of playoff contention, we have the players to do enough, and a defense that will only get stronger, so I'm feeling optimistic here. Only because those reasons and seeing how shit the rest of the division is, we are perhaps lucky here.

squicken

Zach Berman @ZBerm
Teams are taking deep ball away from Eagles. Chip: "It starts with the run. We have to establish to run so they commit people to the run."

Zach Berman @ZBerm
Chip:"When you start to run the football well, [defenses] take them from deep and closer to the LOS. Now you have chance to throw over top."

Zach Berman @ZBerm
Chip on the offensive line: "The personnel is good enough. The execution wasn't."...Said confidence in Gardner/Barbre comes from performance

Not that I doubted he would change things on personnel.

kmag

I remember that :jnc God Damn Bobby carpenter was with us. Ended up being nick named Barbie and pat Watkins I was so excited about him
Edit: no surgery for Romo still out 8 weeks

Normally better to get the surgery, the risk of reinjury goes down. Romo didn't get surgery last time either.

A study in the October 2010 edition of The American Journal of Sports Medicine shows how surgical fixation is being increasingly used to treat clavicle fractures among NFL players. Robert J. Morgan et al. looked at all of the midshaft clavicle fractures suffered in the NFL over a five-year period. Of the 19 fractures suffered, six were nondisplaced, meaning that the ends of the bones lined up well. These fractures were treated without surgery and healed in just over seven weeks. The other 13 were displaced at least 100%. 6 of these 13 were fixed with surgery, either with a plate and screws or a pin down the center of the bone. All of the ones fixed surgically healed at an average of 8.8 weeks. Of the 7 displaced fractures treated without surgery, 3 of the 7 healed without a problem at approximately 13 weeks after the injury, but 4 of the 7 refractured it within the first year of the injury.

Not that I doubted he would change things on personnel.

I am guessing he gives the guards one more game but he will have to pull the plug on them soon. You have to try something new at somepoint. You can see that Bradford isnt even looking down the field, he is more worried about the free rushers that keep coming through. I dont see how any team could be successful on offense while allowing such quick pressure up the middle. Murry was getting hit as he took the handoff most plays. Hard to run an offense like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom