• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2016 Week 7 [OT] - Challenge of the SuperFrauds

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
I hate football.

I can usually enjoy football even when my team sucks (I was very entertained by the Eagles Vikings game until it got out of hand), but the only team that looks competent so far is the Pats and that just makes this the worst. Add on top of the slight chance that we might have a Pats fan in the white house? Just too much garbage to handle.

Hopefully we get healthy by the end of the year and the injury bug that seems to be killing everyone else catches up to them so they are fucked up when it is win or go home season.

Thank God the Jets beat the Ravens. We need some serious help to keep our division hopes alive until Ben comes back. Hopefully the whole fucking team can get healthy and we can actually make the playoffs as well.

Fuck you football.

Can we honestly rule out whether or not the Patriots are going around giving the rest of the league the Tonya Harding treatment?

I'm not 100% convinced on letting them off the hook for the mental issues Rodgers is having either.

Non-football related....

Mad Max Fury Road in 4K HDR

YnHG3gu.gif

Can we honestly rule out whether or not the Patriots are going around giving the rest of the league the Tonya Harding treatment?

I'm not 100% convinced on letting them off the hook for the mental issues Rodgers is having either.
It's more probable than not that the Patriots are responsible for these issues, among others.

I agree that the Pats did not play well.

I don't know the reason for it. Did the Cheat just lay down because he knew it was a guaranteed win saving his special stuff (this means great coaching in NE and next level cheating everywhere else) for later in the season? Did the Steelers find a way to counter the Pats cheating technologies? Are the Pats just frauds who are not much better than the Dolphins of Miami? I really don't know the answer to these questions. I know we did make it close with Landry fucking Jones at qb for a little while.

I can't explain for Tomlin going to long FGs at Heinz. He has been there long enough to know that anything close to 50 and up is very fucking iffy. Especially if you are kicking to the open side of the stadium. One day he will understand this. Probably around the same time that Belichick stops cheating and being a enormous cuntbag.
Asterisks didn't have their home field where they are free to scramble communications and steal playbooks.

Hindl

At the very least NFC DPOTW

I dunno this was a big week for NFC Defenses. He earned it, but players on the Vikings, Eagles, Cards and Hawks could also compete for it.

Eagles...

Honestly might be addition by subtraction. When he went down Jenkins went into the slot and Jaylen Watkins took over and the D looked arguably better. Brooks has been underwhelming. Still a shame that he got injured

bionic77

Asterisks didn't have their home field where they are free to scramble communications and steal playbooks.
Never underestimate or trust a cheater. I heard that straight from Rudy T (paraphrased slightly).

You make a strong case. You had me at Patriots and your linking them to bad behavior.

Lock them up! Lock them up!

squicken

Like I mentioned last night, they can't/won't run the ball enough, they can't get open for quick passes, and they can't pass block. So they have to pray the OL holds up long enough for Russell to find someone deep.

People talk about a QB shortage, but there is nothing like the OL shortage. Seems like there are 5 or 6 teams that are non-functional at times b/c of the offensive line

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
He really is stepping it up this year

Y'all may have forgotten but in 2011, at the age of 23, Matthew Stafford dropped 5,000 yards, 41 TDs on the NFL and led the Lions to there first playoff appearance in over a decade. Only 3 years removed from the worst team in NFL history.

He's always been one of the best Quarterbacks in the league, certainly arm strength wise, in the NFL. For a couple of reasons he was held back from 2012-2015.

After the 2011 season, from 2012-2014 he had literally no #2 option to throw to opposite of Megatron. In 2011 he had Nate Burleson, Titus Young Jr., Tony Scheffler and a few others.

When we got Golden Tate III opposite of Megatron he was hindered by the worst offensive coordinator in the league in Joe Lombardi. 7 step drops with no semblance of a pass protection wasted those seasons.

Now we see Matthew Stafford as I always said he should be. In full control of the offense, Peyton Manning style, running quick routes to move the chains with the threat of a deep pass always looming.

What's even more remarkable is he's doing this yet again with no running game to speak of because of injuries to our Top 3 RBs. He is the MVP right now.

He better get a mention in this weeks OT after no mentions the past two weeks.

People talk about a QB shortage, but there is nothing like the OL shortage. Seems like there are 5 or 6 teams that are non-functional at times b/c of the offensive line
It's a major, major issue, particularly when you don't have a QB like Russell or Luck that can still make some plays with a dysfunctional o-line.

The Dolphins have three first round picks starting on their o-line as well as Brandon Albert (big money FA) and Bushrod (decent money FA). That is a lot of resources! And even with all of that, if one of those guys goes down the offense ceases to function. It's insane how much of an issue this is in the modern NFL. I'm not sure what's causing it to be honest, just seems like so few quality o-linemen coming out of college these days.

Pepiope

I dunno this was a big week for NFC Defenses. He earned it, but players on the Vikings, Eagles, Cards and Hawks could also compete for it.

Honestly might be addition by subtraction. When he went down Jenkins went into the slot and Jaylen Watkins took over and the D looked arguably better. Brooks has been underwhelming. Still a shame that he got injured
Ya, Graham was a beast yesterday.

I also want to see Smith in action. Can't wait till next week.

Ravens are an abomination. Four straight losses, yet they're sitting in second with a chance for first if they beat the Steelers this week. The AFC North is a trash fire.

Ravens will lose to Pitt this week. I honestly don't see any possible wins on the schedule except for the Pats, who the Ravens always play tight.

Fuck Flacco

How long until the Steelers learn how to cover Rob Gronkowski?

Steelers didn't lose because of Gronk. They lost because they couldn't contain Blount the deserter.

Never underestimate or trust a cheater. I heard that straight from Rudy T (paraphrased slightly).

Blount. He walks off the Steelers sideline two years ago and goes straight back to the Asterisks (with a playbook in tow no doubt).

Hindl

Ya, Graham was a beast yesterday.

I also want to see Smith in action. Can't wait till next week.

Graham, McLeod, and Hicks all beasted. Hicks in particular returned to 2015 form. He's been good this year but not eye-popping like last year. But this statline:

is crazy good. It was against a pretty shit offense with a terrible OL, but still.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
Ravens are an abomination. Four straight losses, yet they're sitting in second with a chance for first if they beat the Steelers this week. The AFC North is a trash fire.

Ravens will lose to Pitt this week. I honestly don't see any possible wins on the schedule except for the Pats, who the Ravens always play tight.

Fuck Flacco

They don't play this week. Good luck against BYE.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member

Makes it sad for me because Green Bay has a good line for once right now.

Unless there's something to the theory that the blueprint for beating Rodgers is pocket containment and they're intentionally keeping him there and only rushing 3-4.

Fuck Flacco

Harbaugh is 26-29 since their Super Bowl season.

Reed and Lewis coached that team. That's why the "near mutiny" happened that Super Bowl year. Harbaugh needs the playoffs this year or he's in serious hot water.

Browns defensive line gonna be stout if they stick together. Wish my bengals grabbed Ogbah instead of William Jackson III. Defense is only missing a weakside linebacker playmaker and a serviceable corner opposite from Haden to be formidable. Barnridge is a good TE, when he has a QB.

The Browns draft strategy needs to be a offensive line development. And protecting Kessler given that they are finally willing to stick with a QB.

So I know it's a small sample size but I'm already willing to say I like Ajayi more than Miller. Miller had some nice games for the Dolphins but they were almost always against teams with a bad run d. His running style was always feast or famine, lots of runs for no gain or a loss because of his lack of power. He's a finesse back and that killed the Dolphins when they played teams with a tough front 7.

Meanwhile, Ajayi is a violent, powerful runner who doesn't waste time in the backfield. This is the type of running back I love. He won't dazzle you with cuts like a McCoy or Miller but he's not afraid of contact and he's shown he can handle a bell cow workload. Good offenses need a consistent running game and so far he's brought that to the table.

The home run is nice for inflating numbers and beating up on bad teams but it's not a sustainable formula for success. Give me a Marshawn, Blount, or Ajayi any day of the week.

Not saying he's the same caliber of player but Ajayi's style reminds me of Ricky Williams.

Line_HTX

Makes it sad for me because Green Bay has a good line for once right now.

Unless there's something to the theory that the blueprint for beating Rodgers is pocket containment and they're intentionally keeping him there and only rushing 3-4.

While he's contained how is it possible that he's less accurate the longer the play lasts?

harSon

Banned
I went with my girlfriend to the Niners game yesterday. At least I got to see them destroyed in person. It helped soften the blow of yesterday's game. I thought I'd be the only one wearing Steelers gear, but there were like 10 others that I saw - and I probably got about 100+ comments from people about my Brown jersey (including how he ain't doing shit for their fantasy team). Some dude covered in gang tattoos also tried to fight me. And I saw some guy with his face completely bloodied, with a pool of blood on the cement below him in the parking lot at Levi's. Why are Bay Area fans such degenerates?

As for the game yesterday, it was a lot closer then I thought it'd be. We just need to get healthy, because there's only so much the "next man up" mentality can carry you Lol.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
16 games of Stafford and Cooter

68.6% 4310Yards 35TDs 8INT 7.6YPA 105.2Rating

Jim Bob Cooter for President

Another thing that I don't think I've seen mentioned by any media outlet is how Staffords rushing ability has been absolutely huge this season.

He is 7th out of all QBs in terms of rushing yards and in the Top 100 for all position players in rushing yards.

http://pickingpros.com/nfl/quarterback-rushing-leaders.php

He has had some big runs and big moments to gain first downs or more. Defenses will drop almost everyone back in coverage and he'll run for 10, 15, 20 yards.

Does anyone want to trade Olines with the Vikings?

That would be great if your could.

We're going to smoke the Vikings in two weeks. Stafford going to get his revenge for those late hits last season.

So I know it's a small sample size but I'm already willing to say I like Ajayi more than Miller. Miller had some nice games for the Dolphins but they were almost always against teams with a bad run d. His running style was always feast or famine, lots of runs for no gain or a loss because of his lack of power. He's a finesse back and that killed the Dolphins when they played teams with a tough front 7.

Meanwhile, Ajayi is a violent, powerful runner who doesn't waste time in the backfield. This is the type of running back I love. He won't dazzle you with cuts like a McCoy or Miller but he's not afraid of contact and he's shown he can handle a bell cow workload. Good offenses need a consistent running game and so far he's brought that to the table.

The home run is nice for inflating numbers and beating up on bad teams but it's not a sustainable formula for success. Give me a Marshawn, Blount, or Ajayi any day of the week.

Not saying he's the same caliber of player but Ajayi's style reminds me of Ricky Williams.

I really really hope Oline stays health for the rest of the year (I know it's asking a lot)

‏@gunnerhal now44 seconds ago
Gase: OL "basically said put the entire team on our back. ... The credit really goes to the offensive line."

And I really like how energized Gase has made this team, the last two weeks I've seen an entirely different feeling from this team that I haven't seen in years.

@ArmandoSalguero 2m2 minutes ago
Adam Gase says for two weeks in a row "we've had the type of energy, attitude ... we're looking for."

I really really hope Oline stays health for the rest of the year (I know it's asking a lot)

And I really like how energized Gase has made this team, the last two weeks I've seen an entirely different feeling from this team that I haven't seen in years.
Absolutely. You can see the blueprint developing which is very high praise for a first year HC. Next up is learning how to sustain that.

What are your thoughts on Miller vs. Ajayi?

Pepiope

Next week's game is sooooo important not only for the NFC East, but the NFL.

This is potentially the beginning of a rivalry that can last a decade +. Dak and Wentz need to put on a show next Sunday. Football may finally be back.

neoemonk

Y'all may have forgotten but in 2011, at the age of 23, Matthew Stafford dropped 5,000 yards, 41 TDs on the NFL and led the Lions to there first playoff appearance in over a decade. Only 3 years removed from the worst team in NFL history.

He's always been one of the best Quarterbacks in the league, certainly arm strength wise, in the NFL. For a couple of reasons he was held back from 2012-2015.

After the 2011 season, from 2012-2014 he had literally no #2 option to throw to opposite of Megatron. In 2011 he had Nate Burleson, Titus Young Jr., Tony Scheffler and a few others.

When we got Golden Tate III opposite of Megatron he was hindered by the worst offensive coordinator in the league in Joe Lombardi. 7 step drops with no semblance of a pass protection wasted those seasons.

Now we see Matthew Stafford as I always said he should be. In full control of the offense, Peyton Manning style, running quick routes to move the chains with the threat of a deep pass always looming.

What's even more remarkable is he's doing this yet again with no running game to speak of because of injuries to our Top 3 RBs. He is the MVP right now.

He better get a mention in this weeks OT after no mentions the past two weeks.

I did not forget. I went to the Christmas Eve game in 2011 against the Chargers when we clinched the playoff spot. It was glorious.

Then the Saints crushed us in the wild card. Not as glorious.

I went with my girlfriend to the Niners game yesterday. At least I got to see them destroyed in person. It helped soften the blow of yesterday's game. I thought I'd be the only one wearing Steelers gear, but there were like 10 others that I saw - and I probably got about 100+ comments from people about my Brown jersey (including how he ain't doing shit for their fantasy team). Some dude covered in gang tattoos also tried to fight me. And I saw some guy with his face completely bloodied, with a pool of blood on the cement below him in the parking lot at Levi's. Why are Bay Area fans such degenerates?

I travel every year to games, and every time I do, it just adds another stadium/fanbase to add to the list of ones that are better than SF. Only place I've been touched. Only place that was quiet. And the parking sucks, as does the public transportation. I had to take like four different things to get there

Ed Valentine hits the nail on the head in so far as the Giants offense:

— They can’t run the football. Rashad Jennings did manage a 1-yard touchdown run, but the Giants ran 20 times for 38 yards, a paltry 1.8 yards per carry. Over and over, they try that same shotgun run up the middle, and get virtually nothing out of it.

— There’s no imagination in the passing game, and virtually no movement. It’s just an endless series of slants, hitches and dump offs to the running backs or tight ends.

— They quite obviously don’t trust the offensive line to hold up long enough to allow them to push the ball down the field. They rarely take shots.

The Giants passed the ball for only 196 yards. They ran 20 times for only 38 yards, 1.8 yards per carry. They had the ball for only 24:57. They only had one drive of more than seven plays, a 14-play, 66-yard drive that sputtered to a field goal. They have, basically, one running play. They get little push, and they get no help in blocking from their tight ends or their diminutive group of wide receivers.

McAdoo needs to use the bye week to make an honest assessment of an offense that has been underwhelming all season. The Giants need to do better, much better, on offense to have a chance to make a playoff run.

This is not the offense of the last two years and the crazy thing - they have more talent! They have more playmakers! If you're a Giants fan, you're scratching your head in disbelief. The defense is being hung out to dry in these games given how lopsided the time of possession has been in these games.

Also, did McAdoo honestly put an injured Odell Beckham to field punts after Harris went down? Da fuq, bro?

Top Bottom