• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2017 Week 1 |OT| - Look, Are You Ready for Some Football?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Moving it to Friday seems like the best option. Miami already doesn't have 1 home game due to London, it would suck if they moved the game to Jax or something and lose another

Yup, I don't get why it's taking so long....can't believe they are considering taking away the bye week

Sephzilla

Doesn't seem like your defense has improved any, so i'd say you'd be lucky to be a playoff team. Rodgers alone isn't enough.

They'll still be a playoff team almost by default, the rest of the NFC North hasn't caught up to them and the Lions still need to prove they can win big games.

The problem with the Packers is that the front office is content being the 90s Atlanta Braves

They'll still be a playoff team almost by default, the rest of the NFC North hasn't caught up to them and the Lions still need to prove they can win big games.

The problem with the Packers is that the front office is content being the 90s Atlanta Braves

Packers needed absolute heroics by Rodgers to make the playoffs last year. Do you think he'll be able to sustain that again?

Sephzilla

Packers needed absolute heroics by Rodgers to make the playoffs last year. Do you think he'll be able to sustain that again?

I think their schedule overall might be a little friendlier to them this year, so hopefully not. But I think he could actually pull it off again because Rodgers is probably the most raw talented QB to ever play the game.

But I do see the point you're making. Since the Packers made it to the NFC Title Game last year people forgot that the Packers midway through the 2016 season were an absolute train wreck of a team and McCarthy's seat was (long overdue) getting hot.

Bowser

KC @ NE
JAX @ HOU
OAK @ TEN
PHI @ WAS
ARI @ DET
TB @ MIA
NYJ @ BUF
ATL @ CHI
BAL @ CIN
PIT @ CLE
IND @ LA
CAR @ SF
SEA @ GB
NYG @ DAL
NO @ MIN
LAC @ DEN

I think their schedule overall might be a little friendlier to them this year, so hopefully not. But I think he could actually pull it off again because Rodgers is probably the most raw talented QB to ever play the game.

But I do see the point you're making. Since the Packers made it to the NFC Title Game last year people forgot that the Packers midway through the 2016 season were an absolute train wreck of a team and McCarthy's seat was (long overdue) getting hot.

I mean,who knows what will happen ultimately, but I just can't see Rodgers being able to sustain another full season carrying the team on his back. He needs support, and from a cursory glance his supporting players are getting worse, not better.

JABEE

Yeah that game was so special. It sucks that the players were such big babies that they had to slow things down for them. If they could have done that all the time it would have been incredible.

I think the league also slowed him down. The referees started dictating the pace versus what happened in game 1 when Washington was caught completely off guard.

Losing Desean was huge and then Kelly just didn't adapt.

Chris Brown mentioned how Kelly knew pace and was great in run scheme, but was behind in passing. Once the run game dried up with Shady's injuries/bad season, he was forced to move away from his run and play action system that was so effective.

His passing scheme was so simplistic that it became predictable. I'm not sure what happened to the running game in Demarco Murray's season with the team. How did he get that bad for just one season?

And with all that, the team was still 10-6 in two out of Kelly's three seasons with the Eagles.

Other teams mocking Kelly haven't been able to manage 8-8 in 10 years.

Just booked my trip to see New England @ Denver in November. Never been to an away game in the NFL and want to start it as a semi-annual tradition. Looking forward to going to Denver, staying near Capitol Hill / Cheesman (sp?) Park area.

Sephzilla

I mean,who knows what will happen ultimately, but I just can't see Rodgers being able to sustain another full season carrying the team on his back. He needs support, and from a cursory glance his supporting players are getting worse, not better.

The Packers need a fairly substantial overhaul at defense that front office seemingly refuses to commit to. Capers needs to go. Clay Matthews gets hurt too often to be counted upon. They never seem to use free agency to help patch up the defense. They keep letting decent talent go. It's frustrating seeing Rodgers get wasted like this

As an expert on the Minnesota Vikings here is a lock: Peterson will have a huge game against a defense that will overthink gameplanning specifically for him.

I'm talking arm tackles, overcommiting to the run, people tripping over each other, and at least one super long screen play.

I think the league also slowed him down. The referees started dictating the pace versus what happened in game 1 when Washington was caught completely off guard.

Chris Brown mentioned how Kelly knew pace and was great in run scheme, but was behind in passing. Once the run game dried up with Shady's injuries/bad season, he was forced to move away from his run and play action system that was so effective.

His passing scheme was so simplistic that it became predictable. I'm not sure what happened to the running game in Demarco Murray's season with the team. How did he get that bad for just one season?

And with all that, the team was still 10-6 in two out of Kelly's three seasons with the Eagles.

Yeah it is crazy that the NFL conspired to keep Chip down.

Chris B. Brown: “The pace was really fast, which I think the NFL made a concerted effort to slow down later, but that first game the officials were playing Chip’s game and they were trying to get the ball lined up as fast as possible to let them rip off plays to take their advantage. I think the league and (former NFL VP of Officiating Dean) Blandino and (NFL Commissioner Roger) Goodell and those guys, they talked about it, how the officials controlled the game and it’s sort of constructed for the TV product.

It is so fucked up that they were able to do that. I totally disagree with the article saying that Chip couldn't scheme for the passing game though. I actually thought that was his strongest ability. He was getting guys like Cooper wide fucking open several times per game. If the Eagles had an NFL level QB that year they would have destroyed passing records. Foles held the ball so long and he would take the dump down when guys were so open down the field. It was so frustrating going back and watching the all-22's footage of the games after the fact. The run game stopped working because the guards couldn't block and then Kelce was staying in trying to help and that removed him from running ahead as a lead blocker. They also tried keeping the TE's in more, but Chips offense is built around giving the QB multiple quick options and you need the TEs to be threats in the passing game for that to work. Chip and Howie neglecting the OL is what killed the offense, much more then anything else.

Tall4Life

As an expert on the Minnesota Vikings here is a lock: Peterson will have a huge game against a defense that will overthink gameplanning specifically for him.

I'm talking arm tackles, overcommiting to the run, people tripping over each other, and at least one super long screen play.

Peterson? I think you mean my boy Mark Ingram.

I have Ingram in one of my fantasy teams he better not get sidelined for AP

The sad thing is that I am in no way predicting or implying AP will start or even get a bulk of the reps.

He will however make the absolute most of the ones he gets. Every time he is on the field the Vikings will get psyched out.

I always liked the Chip Kelly experiment in the NFL, but something that isn't stated as much is how the Chip Kelly offense hurts the Chip Kelly defense because defenders end up being on the field a significant amount of time longer than other team's defenders. While his pace is effective at first, I think it would end up hurting his teams defensively as other teams would slow their offensive pace down to give their defense time to rest, which would then keep Kelly's defense on the field longer.

I mostly only caught Eagles games that were on primetime, but failed offensive possessions in his up-tempo playstyle would result in offensive drives of 40 or 50 seconds, with some 3-and-outs giving the defense only a minute or two to catch their breath.

Over the course of the season it looked to take a toll, and as teams figured out his offense, you really saw Philly's D suffer in 2014 and 2015 in the second half of the season, giving up multiple 40+ point games.

I still have a soft spot for Kelly but his seeming unwillingness to change his offensive gameplan when it was obviously killing his defense was his undoing.

Peterson? No.
Alvin Kamara? Yes.

Sephzilla

I'm personally still salty that the Packers didn't go after Peterson in free agency.

A backfield that includes Rodgers/Montgomery/Peterson would make for an incredibly lethal offense

The NFL and their suspension shit needs to be reworked. It's fucking tuesday before the season and we have no clue if Zeke is playing or not week 1. this shit should of been taken care of 3 weeks ago.

Tall4Life

The NFL and their suspension shit needs to be reworked. It's fucking tuesday before the season and we have no clue if Zeke is playing or not week 1. this shit should of been taken care of 3 weeks ago.

*someone* has zeke on his team and wants to start him obviously, SMH

msdstc

Incredibly Naive

Marty B was a nice pickup. Also Jordy went beast mode once he got his legs back under him.

Doesn't seem like your defense has improved any, so i'd say you'd be lucky to be a playoff team. Rodgers alone isn't enough.
Counterpoint: Rodgers alone was enough to make it to the final 4 last year with (probably) the worst secondary in football.

I think we'll be OK. But the defense needs to carry some weight rather than none

It really shouldn't be this hard to suspend someone whose girlfriend showed all the telltale signs of domestic abuse.

effzee

I always liked the Chip Kelly experiment in the NFL, but something that isn't stated as much is how the Chip Kelly offense hurts the Chip Kelly defense because defenders end up being on the field a significant amount of time longer than other team's defenders. While his pace is effective at first, I think it would end up hurting his teams defensively as other teams would slow their offensive pace down to give their defense time to rest, which would then keep Kelly's defense on the field longer.

I mostly only caught Eagles games that were on primetime, but failed offensive possessions in his up-tempo playstyle would result in offensive drives of 40 or 50 seconds, with some 3-and-outs giving the defense only a minute or two to catch their breath.

Over the course of the season it looked to take a toll, and as teams figured out his offense, you really saw Philly's D suffer in 2014 and 2015 in the second half of the season, giving up multiple 40+ point games.

I still have a soft spot for Kelly but his seeming unwillingness to change his offensive gameplan when it was obviously killing his defense was his undoing.

More than anything else, Chip Kelly was done in by Howie and Lurie.

He didn't play by their rules and they let him go in season 3. None of it makes sense. He wins 10 games in each of his first 2 seasons. They miss the playoffs the 2nd year eventhough they won 10 games because of the assisine NFL rules where a division winner has to get in. I think CAR won the division that year with a 7-9 record. So of course a bad CAR team makes it over a good Eagles team.

Chip only had 1 bad season (season 3) but it as almost a new start because just months before Lurie had given Chip full power in the FO while slurping him up and down during press conferences. Fast fwd to Dec of that season and they fired him before the season can end.

Sure all the things Chip did or didn't do to adjust hurt. Sure losing DJax, Maclin, McCoy hurt. Not having the ideal QB hurt. But none of it added up to being fired in season 3 after just getting full control fo the team. Its utter BS and behind the scenes politics between Howie and Lurie.

Pepiope

More than anything else, Chip Kelly was done in by Howie and Lurie.

He didn't play by their rules and they let him go in season 3. None of it makes sense. He wins 10 games in each of his first 2 seasons. They miss the playoffs the 2nd year eventhough they won 10 games because of the assisine NFL rules where a division winner has to get in. I think CAR won the division that year with a 7-9 record. So of course a bad CAR team makes it over a good Eagles team.

Chip only had 1 bad season (season 3) but it as almost a new start because just months before Lurie had given Chip full power in the FO while slurping him up and down during press conferences. Fast fwd to Dec of that season and they fired him before the season can end.

Sure all the things Chip did or didn't do to adjust hurt. Sure losing DJax, Maclin, McCoy hurt. Not having the ideal QB hurt. But none of it added up to being fired in season 3 after just getting full control fo the team. Its utter BS and behind the scenes politics between Howie and Lurie.
You have to admit the team got worse each year. We started year 2 9-3 and then missed the playoffs, and completely fell off a cliff year 3 once Chip had full control. Our defense was also gassed the 2nd half of every season, which led to us getting blown out of games when it actually mattered. Idk, I wanted to see Chip get more time, but I understand why he was fired.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom