• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2017 Week 1 |OT| - Look, Are You Ready for Some Football?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
what a joke Bucs vs Dolphins postponed to Week 11.

Edit: To be clear, obviously they shouldnt play in a hurricane but move it to a neutral site jesus christ

So they can spend the day entertaining you rather than taking care of their loved ones?

Cappa

Banned
So they can spend the day entertaining you rather than taking care of their loved ones?

do you honestly believe majority of these players will have loved ones in the area having the financial resources to get them out for a few days? It has nothing do with entertaining me , you or others. Its something called player safety. 16 weeks was the norm back in the 80s, we all know how that turned out and the reason why bye weeks were implemented.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
do you honestly believe majority of these players will have loved ones in the area having the financial resources to get them out for a few days? It has nothing do with entertaining me , you or others. Its something called player safety. 16 weeks was the norm back in the 80s, we all know how that turned out and the reason why bye weeks were implemented.

Some do, some don't. I know that they won't be concentrating on the game. Nothing could be less safe than playing football with your mind somewhere else.

Cappa

Banned
Some do, some don't. I know that they won't be concentrating on the game. Nothing could be less safe than playing football with your mind somewhere else.

Going by twitter, there are quite a few players very unhappy about the situation.

Also not like there isnt a precedent. Jets/Bills in Detroit is the one that comes to mind in recent memory.

phanphare

Banned

it's more that playing 16 NFL games in a row is kind of fucked

that is something that is less safe than playing football with your mind elsewhere

MechDX

what a joke Bucs vs Dolphins postponed to Week 11.

Edit: To be clear, obviously they shouldnt play in a hurricane but move it to a neutral site jesus christ

Precedent was set in 2008. Texans and Ravens played 15 weeks straight and Houston dealt with hurricane recovery during week 2's impromtu bye week

BigAT

Going by twitter, there are quite a few players very unhappy about the situation.

Also not like there isnt a precedent. Jets/Bills in Detroit is the one that comes to mind in recent memory.

The Giants and Vikings also played in Detroit after the Metrodome collapsed.

Cappa

Banned
Precedent was set in 2008. Texans and Ravens played 15 weeks straight and Houston dealt with hurricane recovery during week 2's impromtu bye week

yikes you are right... so the precedent is Goodell and the NFL do whatever they want whenever they want

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
Of course they could have moved the game. They certainly would've if the bye weeks didn't match up. But,

that is something that is less safe than playing football with your mind elsewhere

please. Show me some empirical evidence of it being unsafe to play without a bye week and we'll talk.

phanphare

Banned
please. Show me some empirical evidence of it being unsafe to play without a bye week and we'll talk.

we can just put it this way, there's a reason the bucs and dolphins both wanted the game to be played on a neutral site this sunday rather than be rescheduled

Beach

To be honest I think you guys are making way too much of a deal with the week 1 bye. Texans did a week 2 before and the league has week 4 byes every year.

jbug617

Banned
DJC8a-ZW4AEES11

https://mobile.twitter.com/mosesbread72/status/905430701595652096

Cappa

Banned
Of course they could have moved the game. They certainly would've if the bye weeks didn't match up. But,

Pretty sure theres a study somehwere that shows that after implementation of bye weeks in the 90s injuries were down on average significantly from the 80s. I could be wrong but I do recall seeing it somewhere.... ill try my luck with google.

Hindl

Nice article about how Wentz changed his mechanics in the offseason

Open in incognito to get past the paywall, if you hit one.
Good article. I talked about this in the Discord, but I think Wentz year 2 is similar to Bortles Year 2. Both have the prototypical QB build and came out raw and expected to sit their first season, but were thrust into the starting role Week 1. Both had rookie campaigns that flashed the potential they had while also showing the rawness that led to them almost sitting their first year. Now, I think Wentz has a much better coaching staff for QB mechanics, and he has the drive to get better along with finally having weapons. His mechanics were great early on, but he had played so little football in the NFL that when the season wore on and defenses started figuring the team out, he regressed into the college issues he had since he didn't have enough reps with proper form and started making bad decisions to try and will the team to success. I'm sure he'll come out in the beginning of the season looking great, as his form in preseason has been really improved. The question is if that continues as the season wears on, or if he falls back on bad habits. If all goes well, Wentz could be what Bortles was supposed to be. If not, Wentz could be what Bortles currently is.
Bucs/Fins officially postponed to Week 11
That's fucking dumb
To be honest I think you guys are making way too much of a deal with the week 1 bye. Texans did a week 2 before and the league has week 4 byes every year.
This year the NFL eliminated the Week 4 bye

we can just put it this way, there's a reason the bucs and dolphins both wanted the game to be played on a neutral site this sunday rather than be rescheduled

Did the Bucs & Dolphins organizations state publicly that they wanted the game played this weekend on a neutral site, instead of later in the year? I can't imagine Miami players, coaches, and media wanting to leave their families behind in Miami while they're getting the brunt of a category 5 hurricane. Like, with the images of Houston last week, what person -- especially a football player -- would want to leave their family and friends in a massive hurricane to go play a football game in Pittsburgh...?

I can see how non-South Florida fans of the bucs and dolphins, or fantasy football owners of Bucs & Dolphins players want the game on a neutral site this week rather than week 11... But... I can't imagine the organizations would think that playing 16 straight games is a higher priority than the well being of players/staff families during a major hurricane.

There weren't even Bye weeks in the NFL before 1990- and players are even more protected now than they were back then. That said- every team had to play all of those consecutive games. This year is a clear disadvantage to the Bucs and Dolphs. Don't the Dolphins also play in London this year? Double fucked.

I hope something bad happens to the packers this year.

All my packer fan friends have been awakened this week and have been concern trolling me about the season. If the packers won in Minneapolis I'd have to stop watching football.

Welcome to a new season of Minnesota Vikings football, Banned!

I don't even have a pulse on the Vikes this year. Pre-season was uninspiring and there are only so many times I can bullshit myself with "Oh, they are just playing half-strength to prevent injuries".
I still think the Vikes have a top 5 defense, but the absence of Cap'n is gonna hurt. We need Mackenzie to step up and Barr to play the way he did his rookie season.
Bradford just isn't fun to watch. He's the human equivalent of a bland bowl of store-brand vanilla ice cream... but if his OLine can be even fucking average he can get the job done. Maybe. Cutting Boone was bold, but I like what I've seen from the tandem of Hill, Easton, Elflein, Berger. Fingers crossed.

I miss Teddy, though. Teddy's 2015 stats and Sam's 2016 stats are fairly similar in many areas, but Teddy was not only more fun to watch, he was also a guy that could put the game on his shoulders with 2 minutes left. I believed in GUMP in those situations; probably more-so than any Vikes QB in tight situations since Favre. Not bad for a QB so young... and something I can't say I feel the same with Bradford. Hope he proves me wrong this year.

Just get the booze ready, Banned. I feel this Vikings team could be either 5-11 or 11-5, with not much in between. :p

phanphare

Banned
Did the Bucs & Dolphins organizations state publicly that they wanted the game played this weekend on a neutral site, instead of later in the year? I can't imagine Miami players, coaches, and media wanting to leave their families behind in Miami while they're getting the brunt of a category 5 hurricane. Like, with the images of Houston last week, what person -- especially a football player -- would want to leave their family and friends in a massive hurricane to go play a football game in Pittsburgh...?

I can see how non-South Florida fans of the bucs and dolphins, or fantasy football owners of Bucs & Dolphins players want the game on a neutral site this week rather than week 11... But... I can't imagine the organizations would think that playing 16 straight games is a higher priority than the well being of players/staff families during a major hurricane.

there was a tweet earlier in the thread that said both teams preferred playing on a neutral site this sunday while the NFL preferred to move it to week 11

https://twitter.com/RCummingsFRS/status/905178651251105792

there was a tweet earlier in the thread that said both teams preferred playing on a neutral site this sunday while the NFL preferred to move it to week 11

https://twitter.com/RCummingsFRS/status/905178651251105792

Wouldn't really place much emphasis on that... Considering the same guy tweeted this today:

"The #NFL has moved the #Buccaneers-#Dolphins game to Week 11 and they made the right decision in doing so."

I'm sure for competitive reasons teams might want to keep their bye week, but unless the teams make a statement about that saying it, it could just be one coach or trainer suggesting that to a media guy... When the organization itself takes a step back and looks at the situation, they'd probably reconsider.

If both teams adamantly insisted on preserving their bye week and playing in Pittsburgh, which was one suggestion, then I'd imagine the NFL would probably relent to them. But... realistically here, teams probably realize that playing a football game in front of an empty stadium when the players/coaches families are 2,000 miles away being battered by what is looking like one of the strongest hurricanes in decades to hit Florida........ That preserving a week 11 bye is probably not that much of an advantage, and that there's more important things than the cadence of the NFL season.

If both organizations disagreed with the NFL's decision, we would have heard it by now from the organizations... Not this rando Tampa Bay local news guy.

linkboy

On the postponed game, bring it to STL. I'll go.

On Bennett, why am I not surprised.

That actually wouldn't be that bad of an idea. I'm pretty sure the dome there could be ready to go to host a game (barring any previously scheduled events).

However, applying logic to the NFL usually fails.

gutshot

This article on Brandon Graham's offseason workouts is interesting. http://www.espn.com/blog/philadelph...e-sci-fi-making-of-the-worlds-strongest-eagle

During warm-ups Graham dons a device called a Halo, which looks like a set of high-end head phones but actually is equipped with soft spikes under the headband that send an electric current through the skull and into the brain. By stimulating the motor cortex, the product aims to "unlock accelerated, brain-driven improvements in strength, skill, endurance and explosiveness."

wtf

Wouldn't really place much emphasis on that... Considering the same guy tweeted this today:

"The #NFL has moved the #Buccaneers-#Dolphins game to Week 11 and they made the right decision in doing so."

I'm sure for competitive reasons teams might want to keep their bye week, but unless the teams make a statement about that saying it, it could just be one coach or trainer suggesting that to a media guy... When the organization itself takes a step back and looks at the situation, they'd probably reconsider.

If both teams adamantly insisted on preserving their bye week and playing in Pittsburgh, which was one suggestion, then I'd imagine the NFL would probably relent to them. But... realistically here, teams probably realize that playing a football game in front of an empty stadium when the players/coaches families are 2,000 miles away being battered by what is looking like one of the strongest hurricanes in decades to hit Florida........ That preserving a week 11 bye is probably not that much of an advantage, and that there's more important things than the cadence of the NFL season.

If both organizations disagreed with the NFL's decision, we would have heard it by now from the organizations... Not this rando Tampa Bay local news guy.

Jeff Darlington and Armando from Miami Herald both said Dolphin players wanted to play this weekend, and they both are very reliable.

It's bullshit, fuck the NFL

hom3land

JJ going to hit $30M before we know it. Received $1M from the Jimmy Fallon Show and now $5M coming from Charles Butt of HEB.

https://twitter.com/PatDStat/status/905442065068281856

Watts hurricane relief drive now up to 26 million +

NRG gonna explode Sunday when he runs out of the tunnel

Would love to see a behind the scenes on how they are handling the logistics of using all That money.cant imagine being given millions and having to figure out how best to use it without any experience. I assume he has people volunteering with experience and with no overhead it must be pretty damn streamlined.

So weird. If the teams didn't share a bye week then they would have been forced to just move the venue, which means it's obviously an option. And both teams wanted to play this weekend, so why the hell is the NFL doing what no one wants them to do? What is the reason behind it?

I really don't know what the real the difference will be playing 16 straight and basically being a game behind everyone for the first 6 weeks or so. But it doesn't sound like it will be beneficial in any way. Every time I saw the Bucs schedule I thought "thank god they have a bye at that point"

Another week for this endless offseason too!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom