• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2017 Week 1 |OT| - Look, Are You Ready for Some Football?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jmille99

Fuck that Berry news. Team cant afford to lose him and that man found a way back after cancer...only to lose a season (and maybe more?) after this.

Clockwork5

Yeah I heard them say it was cramps last night, I just wasn't sure if that was really it. Eagles will have their hands full next week for sure. Don't see how they can win it if the Chiefs play even half as well.
While I think the Chiefs should win they aren't going to look like that two weeks in a row. They aren't shutting down any TE with Sorensen in and Berry out and they sure aren't getting all those short yardage stops.

With that said, if we got a realistic look at K.Hunt last night our offense will be a big improvement over last year. As for Smith, he will regress back to the mean next week - 190 yards, 1 TD, 1 INT.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
With this happening so early in the season, is it possible Berry could be back in the playoffs?

Extremely unlikely Achilles tears are typically 1.5-2 year to 100%. Terrel Suggs had some bizarre situation a few years back though where he was back by the playoffs. He said it wasn't torn, but there were varying reports all around.

Clockwork5

With this happening so early in the season, is it possible Berry could be back in the playoffs?
After looking it up to see if this is possible, I wish I hadn't...

There is no chance he could be ready by January but there is a chance Berry will never see the Pro-Bowl again.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive

There is no chance he could be ready by January but there is a chance Berry will never see the Pro-Bowl again.

It's entirely possible. Achilles is only a step below patella tendon tear for career enders.

Extremely unlikely Achilles tears are typically 1.5-2 year to 100%. Terrel Suggs had some bizarre situation a few years back though where he was back by the playoffs. He said it wasn't torn, but there were varying reports all around.

Derrick Johnson ruptured his achilles in December and played last night. Not enough time for Berry to come back this season, but not necessarily an 18-24 month injury

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Derrick Johnson ruptured his achilles in December and played last night. Not enough time for Berry to come back this season, but not necessarily a 18-24 month injury

Of course that's why I said typically, but there are always exceptions. Not to mention medicine continues to improve, for instance look at ACL tears and how dramatically recovery has improved over the years. That being said it's a near certainty he won't be back this year.

Instro

I thought I recalled someone pulling it off, but I wasn't really sure. Maybe it was a partial vs full tear.

I don't know that it's quite that dire, at least not these days. Usually more so if you are older but he is only 28. Johnson has come back from two of these in the space of a couple years.

Clockwork5

It's entirely possible. Achilles is only a step below patella tendon tear for career enders.

I think it is unlikely this will end his career, I mean the guy is the definition of determination and hard work, but the study of Achilles tears in the NFL I read noted that there is almost always a significant decline in playing time and production post injury.

Feels bad. At least the guy just got his big paycheck.
I don't know that it's quite that dire, at least not these days. Usually more so if you are older but he is only 28. Johnson has come back from two of these in the space of a couple years.

Yeah, D. Johnson is good person to look to for a bit of optimism. I'm just really bummed about this.

Of course that's why I said typically, but there are always exceptions. Not to mention medicine continues to improve, for instance look at ACL tears and how dramatically recovery has improved over the years. That being said it's a near certainty he won't be back this year.

That's simply not the typical recovery timeline. Most sources estimate 11 months for an achilles rupture.

JABEE

Is that a brand name?

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
I hope this is the long awaited regression of Brady's talents.

tenor.gif

We all do

BigAT

I know I give the Eagles a lot of shit as an organization, but it was a really nice gesture for them to do this mock up photo with the Make A Wish kid in the lower left.

DJOcOoEVwAAAApn.jpg

7-9 this year at best. they weren't as good as that 8-8 record indicated. Remember when they started 5-0 and everyone had them in the Super Bowl already?

One of the worst OLines in the league, which meant almost 0 time to allow Bradford to develop plays and a non-existent run game- still went 8-8.

Remember, one year prior their OLine was just 'bad' instead of 'dumpster fire', they had an 'ok' rush attack (possibly Peterson's last good year in the NFL), and Teddy still only had about 2 seconds to make a play happen. 11-5.

OLine has improved this year (knock wood) and Dalvin Cook looks like a gigantic improvement over Asiata & McKinnon.

I know you are a Packer fan and it's been in your blood to sleep on the Vikes since about '92 when Favre started making you guys relevant again, but keep up the 'overrated' talk. ;)

One of the worst OLines in the league, which meant almost 0 time to allow Bradford to develop plays and a non-existent run game- still went 8-8.

Remember, one year prior their OLine was just 'bad' instead of 'dumpster fire', they had an 'ok' rush attack (possibly Peterson's last good year in the NFL), and Teddy still only had about 2 seconds to make a play happen. 11-5.

OLine has improved this year (knock wood) and Dalvin Cook looks like a gigantic improvement over Asiata & McKinnon.

I know you are a Packer fan and it's been in your blood to sleep on the Vikes since about '92 when Favre started making you guys relevant again, but keep up the 'overrated' talk. ;)

High five buddy. Vikes are going to be really good this year if they can block at all.

Sephzilla

Vikings finally win the division and immediately get bounced from the playoffs one year and then become ( I believe ) the first team in history to start 5-0 and then miss the playoffs. I'll stop calling the Vikings overrated when they actually manage to do something that warrants the hype they get.

Mindlog

Welp, boarded up and down to my last 12 cases of beer.
If I don't make it I just want Pats fans to know that I don't forgive them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom