• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Divisional 2012 |OT| Schaubenfraud

If Foster goes nuts it could be a Texans blowout. A few years ago the Pats got blownout at home in the playoffs by the Ravens and Flacco only threw 9 passes. Rice just ran all over them. It is possible the Texans could do something similar, it is very unlikely though.
I just don't see it happening. The Pats run D is pretty solid now and last time they played Foster had 46 yards and averaged 3.1 per carry.

squicken

Norv’s son Scott has been an offensive assistant in Charlotte the last two years, and his presence never seemed completely coincedental. Norv in Charlotte would have been a dream fit for Newton and whatever version of the Panthers backfield remains, along with Steve Smith and Greg Olsen.

But if Rivera couldn’t land his old boss, he’s in a bit of a pinch, as quarterbacks coach Mike Shula is the only member of his offensive staff with coordinator experience (and that wasn’t exactly distinguished in Tampa Bay), and he’s already replacing his wide receivers coach and running backs coach in a less-than-secure environment.

So to recap, a new general manager (Dave Gettleman) was given a head coach he had no voice in hiring, and now that coach has to replace half a staff and install a new system anyway.

What could possibly go wrong?

The background on the shuffle makes it more frustrating for the Panthers.

When former GM Marty Hurney hired Rivera, he had a list of offensive coordinator candidates in mind along with a list of head coaches. It’s believed that Bengals coordinator Jay Gruden was atop Hurney’s list, but Rivera insisted on Chudzinski instead. Hurney, in a move that may have effectively doomed him, relented and let his new coach pick his own guy.

Chudzinski is widely known as a smart guy, and his Ohio roots will give him a passion for the Browns job they need. But more than one of his former co-workers in Charlotte thought he was coaching to land a head coaching job, rather than using the tools he was given. Hence drawing up all the creative read-option plays, which were cute for a moment, while ignoring the fact he had been given running backs DeAngelo Williams and Jonathan Stewart.

The end result is Rivera’s still standing, but scrambling for an answer, and the Panthers look like even more of a disjointed mess this morning than they already did.

Gantt does seem to not like CAR, but that's the same stuff I pointed out yesterday. Hard to replace offensive staff when he's seen as lame duck anyway. Richardson should fire him and cut his losses

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/01/11/chudzinski-departure-makes-panthers-more-of-a-mess/

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
Texans will not win.

CaptainobviousRed.jpg

SCHOOB GONNA SCHOOB ALL OVER YOUR FACE

squicken said:
That awful Jets ST coach Wreckoff is bad mouthing Tebow on the radio in New York.
His usual MO, then. Even after Weatherford was punting in the Super Bowl in 2011 he was still bad mouthing him and his performance with the Jets. (he hasn't fielded a punter half as good since)

HoF finalists:
G/T Larry Allen
RB Jerome Bettis
WR Tim Brown
WR Cris Carter
DT Curley Culp
Owner Edward J. Debartolo, Jr.
LB/DE Kevin Greene
DE/LB Charles Haley
Owner Art Modell
T Jonathan Ogden
Coach Bill Parcells
WR Andre Reed
LB Dave Robinson
DT Warren Sapp
G Will Shields
DE Michael Strahan
CB/S Aeneas Williams

http://www.profootballhof.com/enshrinement/2013/1/11/2013-Finalists-for-Football-Hall-of-Fame/

HoF finalists:
G/T Larry Allen
RB Jerome Bettis
WR Tim Brown
WR Cris Carter
DT Curley Culp
Owner Edward J. Debartolo, Jr.
LB/DE Kevin Greene
DE/LB Charles Haley
Owner Art Modell
T Jonathan Ogden
Coach Bill Parcells
WR Andre Reed
LB Dave Robinson
DT Warren Sapp
G Will Shields
DE Michael Strahan
CB/S Aeneas Williams

http://www.profootballhof.com/enshrinement/2013/1/11/2013-Finalists-for-Football-Hall-of-Fame/

Eddie D will be an interesting case. He definitely deserve it but I wonder if the bribing a politician thing will hurt him. I hope Modell never gets in for what he did to Cleveland.

Bowser

Local radio in CLT this morning reported that Rivera is trying to get Norv to come to Carolina as OC and he was going to fight to get him...really hope he can because IMO if we don't get Norv we're probably looking at Shula as our OC next season :|

ari

Banned
Am i the only one that want a pokemon online universe game on the wii u? I just got a U and i am just imagining how massive and a gamechanger that would be.

That would be the only mmo i would ever play.

squicken

Went on about how the Jets didn't use at him at all, had a hilarious line about how he's still waiting for the unveiling of Tebow in the offense and then went on about how good of a guy and how much of a hard worker he was.

https://twitter.com/jayfeely

Yeah Jay Feely has the running commentary. Original Tweet I saw was that he was running him down, but it looks like he was being cool about it.

Interesting about Rivera and Norv. Seemed like it was a done deal yesterday. Still not sure why Norv would go to CAR when there's nothing beyond 1 year guaranteed. Goes to CLE and will get at least 3

Talon

Norv will get a job every season, regardless of what happens in CAR. What has he got to lose? Browns don't exactly have an exciting group of offensive players for a play caller.

Local radio in CLT this morning reported that Rivera is trying to get Norv to come to Carolina as OC and he was going to fight to get him...really hope he can because IMO if we don't get Norv we're probably looking at Shula as our OC next season :|

Rivera needs to hire someone who can convince him to go for it on a manageable 4th down with the game on the line.

If the Panthers won that game they would have swept the Falcons and the Falcs would have been 2-4 in the division. Food for thought.

Norv will get a job every season, regardless of what happens in CAR. What has he got to lose? Browns don't exactly have an exciting group of offensive players for a play caller.

That is a great point. If he doesnt mind moving he will always be indemand as an OC so he can to to the Panthers where he will have much better pieces to work with, and if it doesnt work and everyone gets fired he can just take the next job. It will be interesting to see how Cam doe in his much more vertical offense if he does go there.

Talon

That is a great point. If he doesnt mind moving he will always be indemand as an OC so he can to to the Panthers where he will have much better pieces to work with, and if it doesnt work and everyone gets fired he can just take the next job. It will be interesting to see how Cam doe in his much more vertical offense if he does go there.
Not to mention that he probably gets an interview at HC if Rivera is fired. Short memories and all.

Bowser

Much more vertical offense? He's an Air Coryell guy, just like Chud (Chud learned his offense under Turner). Case in point, in 2011 we had 90 plays of 20+ yards. Our whole offense is predicated on big plays and deep shots, that's why you had people going berserk earlier in the seasonand during close games. Chud was always taking deep shots/going for the kill on 3rd and short and basically ignoring the run earlier this season except for some doomed "read option into a wall on 1st down" plays.

Interesting about Rivera and Norv. Seemed like it was a done deal yesterday. Still not sure why Norv would go to CAR when there's nothing beyond 1 year guaranteed. Goes to CLE and will get at least 3

Another thing to consider is I really can't see Chud handing total play calling over to Norv. Chud will want to weigh in heavily on the play-by-play calls on offense in his first HC stop IMO. In Carolina, Norv would basically have free reign to call what plays he wants...

ari

Banned
Emma stone voice is fucking atrocious. Everything else about her is adorable though.

It was like watching a family guy skit where a pretty girl is hot until she sounds like a dolphin.

squicken

Another thing to consider is I really can't see Chud handing total play calling over to Norv. Chud will want to weigh in heavily on the play-by-play calls on offense in his first HC stop IMO. In Carolina, Norv would basically have free reign to call what plays he wants...

That's a good point, and like Talon said, if he's willing to move around he can always find work. Might come down to money, as well as organizational input. Banner has said he wants his coach(es?) involved with personnel decisions. Not sure what the setup is in CAR

bionic77

He is right though.

God I hope he is wrong and you beat the Pats by 50 and break both of Brady's legs, but everything about that game screams Pats massacre to me. Your coach and qb just don't have the balls to take advantage of the Pats weaknesses. You guys are going to run Foster too much and get behind and then it will get ugly.

Denver is probably our best hope of someone in the AFC stopping the Pats beast.

So BBI has a post up on Prince and his 2012 season. The guy needs to work on his durability and stay healthy. If he does, the arrow is certainly pointing in the right direction. Webster is done so we also need someone else on the other side of him but some statistics:

QBs were 31 for 62 (50% completion) with 2 TDs and 1 INT against Prince. He was called for two penalties all season.

In press coverage he allowed 10/25 (40% completion)
In off coverage he allowed 21/37 (57% completion)

Pro Football Focus has his QB rating against at 65.7.

Not a bad bit of progression considering the injured rookie campaign he put on the field. Someone also spliced up a nice video of all the passes against him. The Bengals and NO games are his weakest efforts in coverage, IMO. Even then he shows a great willingness to stick his nose in on tackles. On some of those completions he's still in pretty good coverage and position to make the play. You can check it out here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6UgbxfI4l2w

Texans fans setting themselves up to be really hated in the offseason.

Texans win: "I told you fuckers!! None of you assholes believed!! BULLSONPARADE

Texans lose: I knew it all along. Texans are trash. Never had faith in this shit team.

He is right though.

God I hope he is wrong and you beat the Pats by 50 and break both of Brady's legs, but everything about that game screams Pats massacre to me. Your coach and qb just don't have the balls to take advantage of the Pats weaknesses. You guys are going to run Foster too much and get behind and then it will get ugly.

Denver is probably our best hope of someone in the AFC stopping the Pats beast.

Have you seen Schaub the last month or so? I dont think they can run Foster to much. Run the ball and try to keep the game close and hope JJ can make a huge play at the end to win it. If they try to soot it out with the Pats then they are already dead.

Talamius

I think "1 year guaranteed" situation might actually bring Norv to Carolina. It's completely win-win. If next season works out, his stock goes through the roof. If it doesn't, when the staff is cleaned out with Rivera someone WILL hire him anyway. He'll have the pieces on offense to make him look great. It's high reward with almost no risk.

Vio-Lence

Banned
Jimmy Johnson tweeted that Marc Trestman will be the next head coach of the Bears. Story here.

Brad Biggs said:
Emery was in Green Bay on Thursday night where he interviewed Packers offensive coordinator Tom Clements. It is believed Houston Texans offensive coordinator Rick Dennison will be interviewed today. Seattle Seahawks offensive coordinator Darrell Bevell is scheduled to be interviewed on Saturday in Atlanta. Emery is scheduled to interview Indianapolis Colts offensive coordinator Bruce Arians on Sunday.

Now, Johnson did not specify Trestman was specifically coming to the Bears as head coach. It is possible he could be considered for another role but Emery is on the road looking for the team’s next head coach, not in an effort to hire the offensive coordinator for his next coach.

Will be interesting to see what happens. I guess it will be obvious if Emery cancels the reported interviews that he has on tap for the rest of the week. Stay tuned.

Have you seen Schaub the last month or so? I dont think they can run Foster to much. Run the ball and try to keep the game close and hope JJ can make a huge play at the end to win it. If they try to soot it out with the Pats then they are already dead.
The problem is a one-dimensional Texans offense that relies solely on Foster running well against the Patriots is basically destined to fail because there is no reason to believe it could happen. It would be unprecedented, especially given their first meeting. I'm not saying it couldn't happen, just that it would be very unlikely.

The way I see it is the Texans are dead if they get down 14. If they are able to pressure Brady and get some stops early to keep that from happening then they have a slight chance to win. If Brady is lighting it up and Schaub plays his best game of the year and the game is high scoring then I still think the Texans have a shot, although at that point it is even more slim.

What I predict will actually happen is the Pats will score two TD's on their first two or three drives, the Texans will come out looking somewhat conservative and score once or none on their first two or three drives, and the game will be out of reach by the time the first quarter is over. Hopefully I'm wrong but that seems like that safe bet to me.

Top Bottom