• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Off-Season |OT2| My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy Draft

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
To go through a grueling season coaching at 70? That sounds like hell to me, especially considering how Parcells always looked like he was about to burst a blood vessel after every other play.

Greg

I missed 10 pages... what have I done?

I know I was busy yesterday, but I'd like to blame it on the fact that it was due to the community move.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
I missed 10 pages... what have I done?

I know I was busy yesterday, but I'd like to blame it on the fact that it was due to the community move.

rodgerssmh.gif

Not a gif worthy post, but I really wanted to see it!

Jerry Reese has an interview with Sirius where he mentions a few interesting nuggets...

- On who the Giants starting MLB would be if the season started today. "Not sure. Some interesting candidates on that front: Mark Herzlich, Greg Jones or Michael Boley are possible"

- Giants have about 2.5 million in cap space. On whether he's done in free agency of not: "There’s still some things to do in free agency for us, I think. We’ve just got to kind of slow-play it a little bit and see who’s out there and what’s available for us and what our needs are as we continue the offseason process, and kind of look down the road and see what the draft’s going to bring for us, see what’s available there."

- Reese on losing Mario Manningham: "The salary cap rules the world. If you have a lot of good players you just can’t retain them all."

- On the RT position: Regarding the O-line and replacing RT Kareem McKenzie, Reese mentioned David Diehl and he expects James Brewer to "challenge for some spots"

- Jerry Reese on DT Marvin Austin: "We’re worried about him a little bit. He hasn’t played in such a long time . ... This offseason is going to be big for him to get going again and get acclimated to playing football and playing at this level, which is going to be shocking to him because he hasn’t played in such a long time. To go out in there and tussle with those big guys, it’s going to be tougher than you think it is. ... We hope he can get in there and give us a good rotation inside.

eznark

Banned
Packers got four compensatory picks. Two in the 4th and two in the 7th. About what I expected since I have no idea how it really works! But two 4th's and two 7th's for Colledge, Jenkins, Brandon Jackson and Korey Hall? Meh.

LJ11

Not picking a RB at 4.
Not picking a WR generally rated lower than Julio Jones at 4.
Gaining more picks to make another push at a franchise QB next year, when more than 2 highly touted QBs are due to come out and the price will likely be cheaper.

One of those I guess.

Who are the highly touted QBs, don't say Landry Jones, he's not better than Tannehill in my mind. No fucking way.

Guess it would be Wilson, and maybe Bray if he puts it together and comes out.

Edit: Landry Jones doesn't throw the ball more than 10 yards, all dink and dunk. Cross after cross after cross, average arm too. Not mobile. I wouldn't touch that dude, his numbers are deceiving.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
Proposed rule changes. I like most of them.

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2012/3/26/2902473/nfl-rule-changes-owners-meetings
Mar 26, 2012 - NFL owners are gathering in sunny Palm Beach, Fla. this week with a lengthy to-do list in front of them. Salary cap penalties and a certain bounty scandal will likely dominate the conversation, but those headline topics will not be the only things on the agenda. Owners will vote on seven proposed rule changes, as well as another six proposed changes to the league's bylaws that could refine the on-field product.

None of the seven proposed rule changes would dramatically change the game. They are part of a gradual evolution toward increased player safety and a fairer competition. Still, if adopted, fans may notice a few instances where the new rules impact the games they are watching this fall.

1. Moving video reviews to the booth - Currently, the refs disappear under a hood on the sideline to review plays. This rule moves it all upstairs, giving authority to the official in the booth over the ref on the field.

Submitted by the Buffalo Bills, this move is about efficiency. It would be awful to lose 93-year-old Ralph Wilson while the refs were messing around under the hood. Did you know that technically the ref has just 60 seconds to make a decision about the call on the field on plays being reviewed? Sending it upstairs, as opposed to on the field, makes the process easier for coaches and everyone else involved. You will have to be speedier in running to the fridge for a beer, though.

2. Removing the exception for horse collar tackles of quarterbacks in the pocket - For all the league's protections on offensive players, defenders can still wrangle down a quarterback by the scruff of his neck, so long as the quarterback is in the pocket. If this rule passes, that will no longer be allowed, adding one more protection for passers.

Maybe this should be called the Dan Dierdorf rule. Calling a Week 11 game between the Bengals and Ravens, Dierdorf told viewers at home that Terrell Suggs should have been called for a horse collar tackle on Andy Dalton at the Ravens' seven-yard-line on second down, sending Cincy fans into an outrage about the percieved non-call. Instead, Dalton got an intentional grounding penalty on what might have been a game-winning drive with 46 seconds left. Under the new rules, Cincy would have had a new set of downs to try and score to tie or win the game.

3. Change regular season overtime rules to match overtime rules used in the playoffs - Nothing like watching your team play a hard-fought game only to lose by a field goal before even getting a chance in overtime. This rule gives both teams possession in overtime, like the playoffs, unless the team with the first possession ends with a touchdown or a safety.

Given how the season ended up, it's hard to believe that the Vikings nearly beat the Lions in Week 3 last season. Detroit kicked a 32-yard field goal on the first overtime possession for the win. Under new rules, which make overtime a little more competitive, Minnesota would have had a chance.

4. Adding a loss of down to the penalty for teams kicking a loose football - This proposed change adds a loss of down in addition to a 10-yard penalty for a team that kicks a ball that pops loose on the field.

Cowboys punter Matt McBriar was flagged for kicking a loose ball in a Thanksgiving 2010 matchup against the Saints. New Orleans, leading 23-13, declined the penalty. Tracy Porter recovered and returned the fumble to the Saints' 16-yard line. Had this proposed rule change been on the books, New Orleans would have accepted the penalty and had slightly better field position.

5. Change the penalty for too many men on the field to a dead-ball foul, when the team is lined up - Now, the penalty for too many men on the field is a just a five-yard loss. This change would make it a dead-ball foul, keeping time on the clock. This change only applies to teams lining up with too many men, not when they are trying, but fail, to get the extra player off the field.

Competition Committee chairman Rich McKay was clear that this rule had to do with the penalty the Giants received in the Super Bowl, which allowed them to burn up clock time for the small cost of a five-yard penalty.

6. Expanding the rule on crackback blocks that would make it illegal to hit players in the head or neck area - This is an incremental change with an eye toward player safety covering offensive players blocking for a ball carrier.

Receivers will one day be asked to block by waiving their arms or pointing to the blonde in section 112.

7. Automatic instant replay of turnovers - Last year the NFL implemented a rule giving replay officials the authority to automatically review scoring plays. This extends that to fumbles and interceptions, so long as they are ruled that way on the field. For turnovers that are not called, coaches will still have to pull the challenge flags when they can.

An automatic review of Kurt Warner's fumble on the Cardinals' last play of Super Bowl XLIII may not have changed the controversial ruling on the field, but it might have at least put a few minds to rest and made message boards slightly less vitriolic in the years since. It looked an awful lot like the infamous "Tuck Rule." Future generations will not have to suffer if the league passes the rule change.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
4. Adding a loss of down to the penalty for teams kicking a loose football - This proposed change adds a loss of down in addition to a 10-yard penalty for a team that kicks a ball that pops loose on the field.

Cowboys punter Matt McBriar was flagged for kicking a loose ball in a Thanksgiving 2010 matchup against the Saints. New Orleans, leading 23-13, declined the penalty. Tracy Porter recovered and returned the fumble to the Saints' 16-yard line. Had this proposed rule change been on the books, New Orleans would have accepted the penalty and had slightly better field position.

oh, thanks for that, don't know why I was hung up on thinking this was about kicking a ball inbetween plays.

SonnyBoy

Zero. He's the chair, but it's not like he's the only owner who wanted this. You have to realize the owners are pretty much a good old boys network, and Jones and especially Snyder are considered the unliked outsiders of the bunch.

I get what you're saying. But the good'ol boys don't have any qualms with "sharing" Snyders and Jerruh's revenue.

Wes

venison crêpe
Who are the highly touted QBs, don't say Landry Jones, he's not better than Tannehill in my mind. No fucking way.

Guess it would be Wilson, and maybe Bray if he puts it together and comes out.

Edit: Landry Jones doesn't throw the ball more than 10 yards, all dink and dunk. Cross after cross after cross, average arm too. Not mobile. I wouldn't touch that dude, his numbers are deceiving.

Indeed Barkley, Bray, Landry and Wilson were the 4 that came to mind.

bionic77 said:
For what?
Compensatory picks for lost free agents last season.

Update on the rules changes:

John Clayton ‏ @ClaytonESPN

The Competition Committee has a good chance to expanding replay to have booth reviews of turnovers.

John Clayton ‏ @ClaytonESPN

The Bills are pushing for replay to be taken over by officials in the booth. Good chance that gets voted down.
No word as to why.

Nice OP Bucket! My only minor complaint is that the taco should be orange. You know he's only slamming the dorito variety these days.

Never thought I'd have to subscribe to this thread.

Pats sign Fullback Tony Fiammetta (formerly a Cowboy)

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/03/26/patriots-reel-in-fullback-fiammetta/

Greg Bedard of the Boston Globe reports that the Patriots have agreed to terms with fullback Tony Fiammetta, formerly of the Cowboys.

Fiammetta, 25, made an appearance on our recent intriguing free-agent fliers article. He is a bone-crushing lead blocker when healthy, although a mysterious inner-ear problem that caused nausea and dizziness held Fiammetta out of the lineup for longer than anticipated in Dallas last season.

Surprised the Cowboys let him go. I thought he played pretty well for them when he was in.

Those rule changes sound pretty good to me. People claim refs are blind/on the take/idiots anyway; having some mysterious man in the booth making the challenge decisions won't make much of a difference.

Update:

Patricia Traina ‏

Looks like the Giants get just 1 comp pick, an extra 4th rounder. Pick # 131 overall.
Excellent. That was more than likely for the Cofield signing with the Redskins.

EDIT: ...and here's why:

Patricia Traina ‏

Giants were credited for losing Kevin Boss, Barry Cofield and Steve Smith. They signed Baas and Weatherford.
I have no clue how the round is calculated given all of that.

EDIT2: Cowboys also awarded a 4th Round Compensatory Pick. Eagles and Skins get nothing.

Wes

venison crêpe
"32 compensatory draft picks awarded today to 15 teams...Clev, GB & NYJ have most with 4 each"

According to someone on ze twittersweb. Browns now have 13 picks this year.

Those rule changes sound pretty good to me. People claim refs are blind/on the take/idiots anyway; having some mysterious man in the booth making the challenge decisions won't make much of a difference.

The pro is that it will speed up these hold ups but the con is you're relying on one man and have to hope he has absolutely no bias. At least on the field, you have multiple guys deliberating (allegedly)

The Raider got a third round pick. The only team to get that high of a compensatory pick. So now they have a 3rd (they used their previous 3rd on Pryor), 5th and a 6th.

Full Breakdown:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...es-32-compensatory-draft-choices-to-15-teams/

ROUND/OVERALL SELECTION/TEAM
3/95/Oakland

4/128/Minnesota
4/129/Oakland
4/130/Baltimore
4/131/New York Giants
4/132/Green Bay
4/133/Green Bay
4/134/Minnesota
4/135/Dallas

5/168/Oakland
5/169/Baltimore
5/170/Indianapolis

6/202/New York Jets
6/203/New York Jets
6/204/Cleveland
6/205/Cleveland
6/206/Indianapolis
6/207/Carolina

7/240/Pittsburgh
7/241/Green Bay
7/242/New York Jets
7/243/Green Bay
7/244/New York Jets
7/245/Cleveland
7/246/Pittsburgh
7/247/Cleveland
7/248/Pittsburgh
7/249/Atlanta
7/250/San Diego
7/251/Buffalo
7/252/St. Louis
7/253/Indianapolis

eznark said:
Who was that for? Nnamdi?
Lost: Nnamdi Asomugha, Robert Gallery, Bruce Gradkowski, Zach Miller, Thomas Howard
Signed: Kevin Boss, Stephen Heyer

5-2 =3

I guess? (I seriously have no clue how they come up with these picks).

From the article:

Compensatory free agents are determined by a formula based on salary, playing time and postseason honors. The formula was developed by the NFL Management Council. Not every free agent lost or signed by a club is covered by this formula.
Ok, then.

eznark

Banned
Lost: Nnamdi Asomugha, Robert Gallery, Bruce Gradkowski, Zach Miller, Thomas Howard
Signed: Kevin Boss, Stephen Heyer

5-2 =3

I guess? (I seriously have no clue how they come up with these picks)

lol, not like that. There is a performance, pay and comparables "equation." I'm guessing some blue ribbon committee just decides.

ari

Banned
i thought the rams grabbed steve smith from the panther. i laughed when i found out he was the shitty eagles wide out.

P.S

Tebow gonna lead the jets to the superbowl.

Top Bottom