• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Off-Season |OT2| My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy Draft

QB Alex Smith helps in search for missing teen

Posted by Cam Inman on March 31st, 2012 at 4:00 pm | Categorized as Uncategorized

Quarterback Alex Smith — without any public-relations pomp and circumstance — helped in the search Saturday morning for missing Morgan Hill teen Sierra LaMar.

“Alex Smith was one of the volunteers today. He went out with a group on a search for Sierra,” Marc Klaas, founder of KlaasKids Foundation, told the Bay Area News Group. “We sent 581 people on searches today. I’m not at liberty to say where exactly. But I can say that we keep expanding the radius around the house where Sierra lived.

“We have to commit as a community to find this young girl. She deserves to be brought home. That commitment has to be an open-ended one until there is a resolution to this. We would hope the rest of the Bay Area can join in that commitment, whatever that means to people, however way they can show that commitment.”

Word of Smith’s arrival spread Saturday morning on Twitter as fellow volunteers wrote posts of Smith dropping off food and water before joining the search. KTVU apparently showed video this morning of Smith’s good deeds.

LaMar, 15, was last seen March 16 before she was supposed to catch a bus for school. Here is today’s Bay Area News Group story on the search.

Helping in the community, especially in regards to teenagers, is nothing new for Smith. A year after the 49ers drafted him No. 1 overall in 2005, Smith established the Alex Smith Foundation for foster teens.

Smith and his family live in Los Gatos, some 20 miles northwest of Morgan Hill. He is entering his eighth season with the 49ers, having helped them to last season’s NFC Championship Game. On March 21, he signed a three-year contract rather than leave in free agency.

Among the comments posted on Twitter regarding Smith on Saturday morning:

“S/O to Alex Smith for helping the search team find Sierra LaMar. #Respect” — @HaleyNikolee

“Mad props to Alex Smith for helping out the search party for the teen missing in Morgan hill.” — @camillearmas

“Thank You Alex Smith for helping in the search for Sierra LaMar. You are great guy! @49ers” — @MicahLove

“Just heard that Alex Smith is helping search for Sierra LaMar out of the goodness of his heart. AWESOME. GO ALEX SMITH.” — @cardassianv0le

Volunteers in the Sierra LaMar search must be over 18. Those interested in doing so Sunday are asked to register at Burnett Elementary School (85 Tilton Ave.) between 8 a.m. and 1 p.m.

Anyone with information can contact sheriff’s investigators at 408-808-4500, the anonymous tip line at 408-808-4431 or email tips@sheriff.sccgov.org.

god bless you alex smith!

What a waste of time. If I wanted to find a lost underage vulnerable girl I would either send Big Ben, Mark Sanchez or Tebow.

I might get Bellicheat to assist if they needed help reviewing the surveillance footage.

Bill would be too busy seducing her mother, amiright?

You liked the last half of the last book? Seriously?

Did you expect a happy ending? I thought Logan wrapped up pretty well. I hope we still get to see him in a subsequent book. I thought the Jezal/Glokta thing wrapped up pretty well too. Thought it was hilarious that Jezal would be king but that Glokta would essentially be pulling the strings.

I guess I liked that things didn't necessarily wrap up into a neat bow. The trilogy as a whole put a different spin on fantasy for me and I liked that there were still things hanging at the end. I also thought it was great that they went on this quest to find this seed and the thing they find is completely worthless.

Godslay

Banned
Just turned 30 in February. I'm surprised that there are quite a few guys here that are around my age. To be honest, I am more happy at 30 than I was at 21.

jakncoke

Banned
Bill would be too busy seducing her mother, amiright?

bore her into liking him

original.0

brentech

You guys in the know, since the VITA doesn't currently support the ps1 classics and other downloaded PSN games, do you think it's worth just buying a PSP currently. Or should I just wait for VITA to up their support?

I'd like a portable, but haven't owned one in forever. I'm not super concerned with retail games, but there are some PSP retail games I'd like to play. Not sure if VITA supports them or not, I simply never paid huge attention to portables.

filler

Banned
You guys in the know, since the VITA doesn't currently support the ps1 classics and other downloaded PSN games, do you think it's worth just buying a PSP currently. Or should I just wait for VITA to up their support?

I'd like a portable, but haven't owned one in forever. I'm not super concerned with retail games, but there are some PSP retail games I'd like to play. Not sure if VITA supports them or not, I simply never paid huge attention to portables.

Get a 3DS.

eznark

Banned
Did you expect a happy ending? I thought Logan wrapped up pretty well. I hope we still get to see him in a subsequent book. I thought the Jezal/Glokta thing wrapped up pretty well too. Thought it was hilarious that Jezal would be king but that Glokta would essentially be pulling the strings.

I guess I liked that things didn't necessarily wrap up into a neat bow. The trilogy as a whole put a different spin on fantasy for me and I liked that there were still things hanging at the end. I also thought it was great that they went on this quest to find this seed and the thing they find is completely worthless.

Lol no, I expected a decently written ending with some twists instead of the lazy and obvious ending we got.

eznark

Banned
Abercrombie is the opposite of Martin. His sentence to sentence prose is solid but the overall story is weak. I wish the two would combine. Maybe then theyd write something worth my time.

brentech

Vita if you want sports or HD 3ds for anything else.

Man Kid Icarus is so good. I am sad I only got to play 8 chapters.

I'm not really interested in the 3DS as the time I had with it, it made my eyes feel weird. Nor are the games as interesting to me.

Do we think the VITA will start supporting the older software that the PSP can?

Abercrombie is the opposite of Martin. His sentence to sentence prose is solid but the overall story is weak. I wish the two would combine. Maybe then theyd write something worth my time.

I'm reading Peter Hamilton right now, Pandora's Star. Fucker's long as hell though. Name something you like in fantasy/scifi. What are your three favorites?

eznark

Banned
I'm not really interested in the 3DS as the time I had with it, it made my eyes feel weird. Nor are the games as interesting to me.

I kind of don't. There are piracy issues popping up as a result of PSP support.

If you can get a PSP for like $50, put some CFW on there. Emulators make it the greatest thing ever.

bionic77

I would neve buy hardware for future updates. Go try it out an decide yourself. If Sony comes through on the firmware consider it a bonus.

eznark

Banned
I'm reading Peter Hamilton right now, Pandora's Star. Fucker's long as hell though. Name something you like in fantasy/scifi. What are your three favorites?

Thats kind of broad. Vinge is probably my favorite author. I can't remember the last fantasy novel I truly liked through and through. I do like Martins books, I just think he is a shitty writer.

In recent memory my favorite three genre novels would probably The Unincorporated Man, Little Brother and hmm, fantasy...something Pratchett I guess. So Night Watch.

I mostly read nonfiction though, and only the big fantasy novels. I liked the first Rothfuss book. The second one isn't fit to wipe my dogs ass with.

Thats kind of broad. Vinge is probably my favorite author. I can't remember the last fantasy novel I truly liked through and through. I do like Martins books, I just think he is a shitty writer.

In recent memory my favorite three genre novels would probably The Unincorporated Man, Little Brother and hmm, fantasy...something Pratchett I guess. So Night Watch.

I mostly read nonfiction though, and only the big fantasy novels. I liked the first Rothfuss book. The second one isn't fit to wipe my dogs ass with.

I completely agree on Rothfuss. Really liked the first one. Second is utter shit.

I haven't read enough Pratchett. Only the first couple of the Discworld series. I need to put some more time into that.

eznark

Banned
I completely agree on Rothfuss. Really liked the first one. Second is utter shit.

I haven't read enough Pratchett. Only the first couple of the Discworld series. I need to put some more time into that.

Same thing happened with the Kolin's. The Unincorporated Man is probably my favorite sci-fi ever and they completely fucking butchered it in the follow up books. If I'm being honest with myself the last quarter of Unincorporated is bad too but man, the sequels are schlock.

Oh, I really liked Soon I Will Be Invincible despite the weak ending. Really cool little novel. Probably top three in the last couple years.

jakncoke

Banned
Just noticed NHL made a april thread and its not locked, So i think we'll be good with weekly threads when the seasons starts

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
1. Persona 4
2. Final Fantasy 7
3. Xenoblade Chronicles
4. Persona 3
5. Final Fantasy 9*

Holla.

* can't remember my true favorite fifth

I just can't get into JRPGs. I think I managed to finish FF1 when it was ported to the DS. (Or maybe it was the GBA version.) I would have to agree with bionic that Fire Emblem is awesome. I know I played through the GBA games. I did think the Gamecube FE game was shit though.

Couldn't get into FF7. I think I played most of FFX but then got my ass kicked near the end and the online guides suggested using spells that I hadn't put any points into. I wasn't about to go off and grind levels just to get past that boss.

I've tried Tales games and Eternal Sonata and several others and just couldn't get into them. So I guess Fire Emblem is my favorite.

Western RPGs are better, imo.

Edit: I've avoided Nier because of its JRPG-ness, but I also see that it's supposed to be a "westernized" JRPG. It also gets a lot of love/hate, with GAF appearing to like it more than others. Am I missing something?

jakncoke

Banned
Didn't even realize this was an issue. Just assumed it was business as usual but in a different subforum.

It's not even known if it is or not. Someone made a post about it and interpreting one of evilore post and then a couple people went into discussing how it'd be stupid if we had to

Top Bottom