• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Off-Season |OT2| My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy Draft

snesfreak

Banned
fGadX.png

What have you guys done to him?! He's Anorexic. :(

NFL-GAF = Mean Girls
So who's Lindsay?

bionic77

You couldn't be an early 90s suburban gangster w/o a Raiders' Starter jacket. I even had a really cool black Oilers hat. All that mattered was it was black, b/c that was what NWA and then solo Cube wore. Still hoping those black denim jeans come back too
I can't think of a post that could more offensive to Eznark. It includes the Raiders, the word black, and numerous rap references.

Fox318

What happened to Osi? He made contract demands in the public eye with two years left on his deal. Accused the GM or "lying" to him about a promised extension which hinged on performance (which he didn't provide. One year due to the injury and the next he was benched ). Guess what Reese did? He called his bluff. How's Osi doing these days? He was productive and is contrite and willing to return for less money.
And with the injury rate in the NFL you wouldn't do all you could to try and secure your money? Where did it ever state that Reese was lying? I find it hard to believe that Osi would speak out and simply lie about his contact negotiations.

...and how did they treat Jacobs? They chose not to pay a backup 4 million dollars to remain with the club. They had a fair value offer on the table. He disagreed and felt he could get more. Which he did. That's the market. They gave him a fairly rich contract when he was producing and franchise tagged him a few years ago. You act as though they stole his dog and kicked him in the nuts on the way out the door. Which is ridiculous.

Jerry Reese puts a specific value on free agents and in most cases that value does not change. If another team is willing to pay more, then so be it. Cruz is under contract for another season and then becomes a restricted free agent. Reese has the time to work out value for the kid without overpaying after one year of quality production. As the player, I would trust the organization to do what's in its best interest and if he keeps producing on the field - it's in their best interest to sign him long term. I would also be aware that the team is right up against the cap as well and wouldn't go making demands that aren't going to be met.
Jacobs carried the Giants running game when they needed it and I truly believe that the Giants will miss him.
The Steelers..who are right there as an organization unwilling to overpay free agents or "flinch" when a player decides to go public with issues. The Steelers will take are of their own when they are good and ready (much like the Giants). Not when a player dictates...

But the Steelers make sure to pay their players. Especially ones that get them to that next step. Hell they even do it to a fault. Their cap issues all stem from them hiring their own guys. If you are a player worried about getting paid I honestly believe the Rooney's are less likely to fuck you over.
Yep, cause that 27th ranked Giants defense was All-Pro last year. They finally got their shit together in the playoffs but without Eli, they wouldn't have even been in a position to get to the playoffs. Much less win the Super Bowl.
The Giants surround their game around defense and running the football. Take away those two and Eli is exposed. He can't carry the team on his back. Hell the fact that he won the Super Bowl MVP over Tuck was bullshit. The Giants could have won the Super Bowl with Flacco.

BigAT

Yep, cause that 27th ranked Giants defense was All-Pro last year. They finally got their shit together in the playoffs but without Eli, they wouldn't have even been in a position to get to the playoffs. Much less win the Super Bowl.

Who needs a good defense when you have the leagues 32nd best rushing attack!

And with the injury rate in the NFL you wouldn't do all you could to try and secure your money? Where did it ever state that Reese was lying? I find it hard to believe that Osi would speak out and simply lie about his contact negotiations.
Except time y'know... when he did.
Jacobs carried the Giants running game when they needed it and I truly believe that the Giants will miss him.
... when? He had the occasional decent game but was brutal the whole year. Ahmad Bradshaw carried the Giants running game with a broken foot.
The Giants surround their game around defense and running the football. Take away those two and Eli is exposed. He can't carry the team on his back. Hell the fact that he won the Super Bowl MVP over Tuck was bullshit. The Giants could have won the Super Bowl with Flacco.
wow.

So did you watch a single Giants game this year? Because most of the year he did not have a solid defense OR a reliable running game. If there was ever an instance where a player "put da team on his back doh", he did it.

LJ11

I don't think I've ever bought an official jersey, though I am incredibly excited about the Starter jackets coming back in style. I still have my Raiders jacket hanging in my parents' coat closet.

The 90s are back! You can see it with a lot of the styling, especially hats.

BigAT

Eli is getting carried by the 27th ranked defense in the league and the WORST running game in the league? Oh Lordy, I would hate to see what he would be like if he had both of those Pro Bowl units taken away from him.

Fox318

Eli is getting carried by the 27th ranked defense in the league and the WORST running game in the league? Oh Lordy, I would hate to see what he would be like if he had both of those Pro Bowl units taken away from him.

And they had the toughest road to the Super Bowl last year.

What if they had the 49ers schedule?

Draxal

So, take away a defense that gave up 400 points in the regular season and the worst rushing attack in the league? When Flacco has Rice?

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2012/04/former_auburn_lineman_nick_fai.html

Detroit Lions defensive lineman Nick Fairley was arrested this afternoon in Mobile on a 2nd-degree marijuana possession charge, according to records at Mobile County Metro Jail.

Fairley, 24, was held at the jail on $1,000 bail. Mobile police said that Fairley was originally stopped earlier in the afternoon because of a suspended driver's license.

Fairley, who is from Mobile, played football at Williamson High School and Auburn University before being drafted by the Lions prior to the 2011 season, in which Detroit made the NFL playoffs for the first time in 12 seasons before losing to New Orleans.

Lions DL likes getting arrested

And with the injury rate in the NFL you wouldn't do all you could to try and secure your money?
That's one way to handle it and many players have taken that route. It's a viable option if you feel that you need to get paid.

Other players don't handle it that way and are able to secure their deals. Andre Johnson didn't hold out, the Texans rewarded him. There's more than one way to handle your business in the NFL.

Fox318 said:
Where did it ever state that Reese was lying? I find it hard to believe that Osi would speak out and simply lie about his contact negotiations.
http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/news/story?id=6667679

The same accusation was filed during the lockout as part of the lawsuit.

To quote:

Mr. Reese told me that two years from the start of the 2008 league year, if I was currently playing at a high level, we'd either renegotiate my current contract so that it would be equal to that of the top five defensive ends playing or I would be traded to a team that would do that.

2009 he was out the season with an ACL tear. 2010, he was benched for horrible play against the run. I wouldn't qualify that as "maintaining a high level of play". In your world, Reese should have made him a top 5 DE regardless. That's silly and ignores the fact that the player is already under contract. They have no leverage. The only recourse was for Osi to hold out. He tried, it didn't work. JPP emerged.....leverage all but gone.

Jacobs was part of a multi-back system. Not a feature back and was overpaid for the production he put on the field. 2011 Jacobs isn't 2008 Jacobs and should not be paid as such when a team is up against the cap.

152 carries for 571 yards at 3.8 yards per carry. His biggest contribution was his pass blocking and the occasional solid game. I appreciate all that he did for the Giants, and I'm sure I'll get shit from Wellington cause he loves big Jake but it was time to move on. There's nothing about those numbers that scream irreplaceable to me.

But the Steelers make sure to pay their players. Especially ones that get them to that next step. Hell they even do it to a fault. Their cap issues all stem from them hiring their own guys. If you are a player worried about getting paid I honestly believe the Rooney's are less likely to fuck you over.
So why isn't everyone playing for the Raiders again? Afterall, they overpay!

The Giants pay their players. They paid Tuck, the paid Osi (made him a top paid DE at the time), they just paid T2, they paid Eli. etc. etc. etc.

Fox318 said:
The Giants surround their game around defense and running the football.
Either you're willfully blind or didn't actually watch a Giants game last year. Worst rushing attack in the league, 27th ranked defense. Eli carried the 2011 Giants. Anyone claiming otherwise is laughably in denial.

Fox318 said:
The Giants could have won the Super Bowl with Flacco.
In the salient words of Wellington: Get the fuck outta here with that retarted shit.

Second Super Bowl ring and still he gets no credit. It's the defense and the running game! (which were non-existent until the playoffs).

Draxal

Jacobs was part of a multi-back system. Not a feature back and was overpaid for the production he put on the field. 2011 Jacobs isn't 2008 Jacobs and should not be paid as such when a team is up against the cap.

152 carries for 571 yards at 3.8 yards per carry. His biggest contribution was his pass blocking and the occasional solid game. I appreciate all that he did for the Giants, and I'm sure I'll get shit from Wellington cause he loves big Jake but it was time to move on. There's nothing about those numbers that scream irreplaceable to me.

Problem with Jacobs is that he needs a good offensive line to succeed more than any other rb, and last year's Giant's oline was piss poor, while 2008 oline was probably the best in the league. I don't see the oline rebounding that much next year so I do see the reasoning in letting go, I could see Jacobs performing alot better with the 49ers if their oline is better than the Jint's 2011's line (I know their line is in flux atm so not sure how the 2012 niner line is going to be).

Worst rushing attack in the league, 27th ranked defense.

wut

(looks it up)

Top-5 in sacks, tackles
Top 10 in INTs, fumble recoveries, and turnover ratio

(looks further)

#32 rushing offense
#27 total yards allowed

Is this the Victor Cruz effect?

Speaking of the Bucs:

Ira Kaufman ‏ @IKaufmanTrib

According to Josh Freeman, the Bucs will adopt the offensive core philosophy of the Giants. Not surprising, with Mike Sullivan here as OC.
Retweeted by Patricia Traina
It'll be interesting to see if Sullivan implements similar run and shoot concepts that Gilbride uses in the Giants offense. Freeman having to read a option/switch routes should be interesting. I don't follow the Bucs much at all though. What kind of offensive philosophy did they have last season?

Crazymoogle said:
Is this the Victor Cruz effect?
The running game being shit is the offensive line effect. The Giants had a poor offensive line. Both in run and pass blocking. We seriously had the worst tackle combination in the league once Beatty went down. Chris Snee had a down year at RG. Our FA center, Baas was banged up and took nearly the season to learn the system. So we had a shuffle at LG and Center (Boothe would play both and at times second year player Mitch Petrus would come in at LG).

As to the defense, how many points did they surrender for the season?

snesfreak

Banned
Speaking of the Bucs:

It'll be interesting to see if Sullivan implements similar run and shoot concepts that Gilbride uses in the Giants offense. Freeman having to read a option/switch routes should be interesting. I don't follow the Bucs much at all though. What kind of offensive philosophy did they have last season?
None.
Zero.
Zilch.
Nada.

Fox318 said:
will say is I believe the Giants will miss Jacobs.
I'm wait and see on that front. The Giants are thin at RB for sure.

I'll certainly miss the idea of him. I'll certainly miss his pass blocking. He's woefully underrated in that regard.

Striker

Whoa, Jimmy Church posts on GAF.

Top Bottom