• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Off-Season Thread 5 - Everybody Do The Flop

eznark

Banned
So...how about the rest of the America? I bet I can find a market where college baseball does better than the NFL if I look hard enough.

Congrats on conquering the Mariners though. You're 32nd in line.

Look.... we legalize weed... eventually you guys all will legalize weed.

We like soccer over baseball... eventually you guys will too.

I'm just giving yall a heads up.

eznark

Banned
You also elected a guy in a tiger suitnwho tried to rape staffers. Thankfully tjat one didnt catch on.

What are the tv ratings for the Red Sox compared to the closest soccer team? Seems like a fair comp.

rando14

Most popular soccer team vs least popular baseball team?

SoupyConcernedAnkole.gif

Sanjuro

Look.... we legalize weed... eventually you guys all will legalize weed.

We like soccer over baseball... eventually you guys will too.

I'm just giving yall a heads up.

I have no problem observing soccer myself or others.

I have more of a problem with delusional people frantically grasping at straws to construct some sort of argument.

Godslay

Banned
Average attendance at an MLS game: 18000

Average attendance at an MLB game: 30000

So maybe you can point to tv ratings?

Yeah, MLS has a long way to go. The crazy thing about MLB games is the sheer volume of them. If they trimmed the seasons down, the attendance would go up. 30000 avg over the amount of games they play is impressive though.

I used to love baseball until the Monforts decided to run the Rockies into the ground. Now I just catch the occasional Twins game with no investment into who wins.

bionic77

You're describing the NFL as well. Good job!

I'm not sure the NFL boom is going to deplete anytime soon, but they are both boring games in terms of television pacing. NFL was made for television, which makes it a bit more of an offender.
There was a time when baseball was obviously Americas game. It represented the country really well for its time with segregation, a slow pace (perfect for reading about or radio), and for its time it was the best sport available.

But the world did not stand still. Now we are fat as fuck and our two biggest loves are television and violence. What sport combines these two things better than any other? It's obviously football.

Maybe in the future when the internet takes over something else will replace football as our national past time but for the time being football is king and baseball is shit.

eznark

Banned
Yeah, MLS has a long way to go. The crazy thing about MLB games is the sheer volume of them. If they trimmed the seasons down, the attendance would go up. 30000 avg over the amount of games they play is impressive though.

I used to love baseball until the Monforts decided to run the Rockies into the ground. Now I just catch the occasional Twins game with no investment into who wins.

How many soccer games and teams there in MLS? The size stadiums they play in...18000 must be real lonely.

eznark

Banned

rando14

Will you guys riot when Nintendo sells the Mariners and they move to Oklahoma City?

If Nintendo sells/moves the team to OKC I will fly FMT up to Seattle and we will drive over to Redmond and throw :blarry at their headquarters

With what the Mariners have done over the years its not hard to figure out why the region would give up.

I haven't given up!! :cool:

I'm dead inside

No one gives a shit? Hmmm.

Mariners average attendance 24000

MLS average attendance 18000

No one gives a shit indeed.

THAT'S WHAT I'VE BEEN SAYING! Just wait middle America. When all these baseball cities wake up it's like when the Amish get to go to Vegas for the first time on their whatever the fuck journey.

JUST YOU WAIT!

cajunator

Banned
Louisiana did have a minor league soccer team the Lafayette Swampcats.
The league dissolved though.
I actually went to a game along with some Ice gator games. Hockey in Louisiana is weird.

Godslay

Banned
How many soccer games and teams there in MLS? The size stadiums they play in...18000 must be real lonely.

To be honest with you, I only catch the occasional MLS game. The Colorado Rapids for instance play in Dick's Sporting Goods Park, it seats ~18,000. Outside of that, I don't really know.

Konka

Banned
THAT'S WHAT I'VE BEEN SAYING! Just wait middle America. When all these baseball cities wake up it's like when the Amish get to go to Vegas for the first time on their whatever the fuck journey.

JUST YOU WAIT!

Don't worry, in 15 years when the hispanic population has eclipsed white people soccer will come along with it.

Sanjuro

JUST YOU WAIT!

Some of the biggest viewership came out of New England.

Best numbers I could find is in 2008, New England Revolution averaged a 0.1 rating, compared here to the 2012 Red Sox who averaged a 7.5 rating.

eznark

Banned
Don't worry, in 15 years when the hispanic population has eclipsed white people soccer will come along with it.

LA MLS team averages 22k. About the same as the Clippers. Half the dodgers.

I've only been to LA a half dozen times or so, any Hispanics there?

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
I really think albuquerque should push for an mls team and fill it with mexican players. Guaranteed sell outs. But ain't no one gonna watch that ish on television.

Godslay

Banned

That's kind of a guess though isn't it? Assumes that hispanics only like soccer. Plus I thought that hispanics displacing whites as the majority was closer to 30 years off than 15.

eznark

Banned
Wow the Sounders average 44k. That's impressive as fuck. Also shows how anemic the rest of the league is that the average is still just 18k.

How does this shit survive? Is it getting massive corporate charity a la WNBA?

jakncoke

Banned
Oh I forgot about the gays.

I don't follow politics. Have most of the red states legalize gay marriage yet? Or are they still "god hates you" thing going on?

The only reason PA got it was a judge, pennsyltucky and corbett were sure kicking and screaming about it. I think its up to 17 states legal though

Oh I forgot about the gays.

I don't follow politics. Have most of the red states legalize gay marriage yet? Or are they still "god hates you" thing going on?

Almost at state 20, but the case that results in it being legalized nationwide is likely coming to the Supreme Court and being ruled on next June. Right now it looks like it's going to be Utah who we can all laugh at for being the red state that fought it so long, they wound up legalizing it for everybody.

Sanjuro

I really think albuquerque should push for an mls team and fill it with mexican players. Guaranteed sell outs. But ain't no one gonna watch that ish on television.

They should put a stadium on the border between Mexico and the US, with the line going straight down the center of the field.

Top Bottom