• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Off-Season Thread 5 - Everybody Do The Flop

Dragon

Banned
Whats wrong with how it works (not defending them, really dont know)

It's tied to the device (I believe with Club Nintendo you can tie it to something but it's pretty hazy) and if you have an issue with the system, there's no guarantee you'll get your games back, and even if you do, you'll have to go through customer service, etc. I'm not sure what's stopping them from doing this, they're looking at cross buy games which is a start but they really need to get on their ass.

I was just wondering if I was missing something concerning the graphics.

Best thing I have seen this year graphics wise are those MK gifs.

I am hoping that we get something later this year on the PS4 that blows us away like GOW and Uncharted 2 did back in the day.

If you don't care about arcade racers like Driveclub, there is no exclusive game that's going to do this, this year. Destiny is the game I'm most looking forward to, and even that is not blowing it away graphically, it's just really polished.

I was just wondering if I was missing something concerning the graphics.

Best thing I have seen this year graphics wise are those MK gifs.

I am hoping that we get something later this year on the PS4 that blows us away like GOW and Uncharted 2 did back in the day.
I understand where you're coming from, man. In general the leap from PS3 to PS4 is the least impressive I've seen in my lifetime, and I have also been just as impressed by the art direction in a lot of Wii U games as anything I've seen on PS4. With TLoU I'm just excited to play the game with great image quality and a higher framerate because the PS3 kind of struggled with it (particularly with aliasing).

I'm not much of a PC gamer so I'm just enjoying the higher framerates and better image quality of PS4 games versus the PS3, even with stuff like FIFA and Battlefield 4 which are basically just shinier versions of the same game.

I do think Naughty Dog's PS4 stuff will be pretty incredible looking, though.

If you don't care about arcade racers like Driveclub, there is no exclusive game that's going to do this, this year. Destiny is the game I'm most looking forward to, and even that is not blowing it away graphically, it's just really polished.
It sucks that publishers are making this issue even worse by making so many of these games cross-gen. I bet stuff like Destiny and Dragon Age: Inquisition would be significantly more impressive if they weren't worried about making them work on PS3/360.

BigAT

...now go back and get your fucking pencil case.

post-11756-I-Understood-That-Reference-gi-bnSN.gif

ShaneB

Wonder if I could get 100 bucks a piece for my 360 and ps3. Maybe 25 bucks for my Wii. I guess I could just see whatever the trade value is at EB/Gamestop and make it easier for me, but that wouldn't equal a cash return.

Bleh.

Football. Go teams.

jakncoke

Banned
It's tied to the device (I believe with Club Nintendo you can tie it to something but it's pretty hazy) and if you have an issue with the system, there's no guarantee you'll get your games back, and even if you do, you'll have to go through customer service, etc. I'm not sure what's stopping them from doing this, they're looking at cross buy games which is a start but they really need to get on their ass.

That sucks but I mean its still a free game. free is free.

bionic77

Destiny on PS4 was pretty impressive. More than anything I can say about this Last of Us cash grab.
You don't have to buy it. And since there is no backwards compatibility I like the upsize PS3 games. There are still some PS3 games I wanted to play and I can't because my PS3 is dead.

Lets turn the topic back to football. Who wins the best division in football this year? Right now I see it as a two team race between Manziel (players on coke are almost unstoppable the first year) and the Steelers (we have fast players on defense now and a all star offensive line with unlimited depth at running back).

The Ravens will be distracted from all of their offseason arrests and the Bungles are due for their usual let down season.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
I'm pretty sure Gata is attracted to his young male cousins of consent.

That's probably true. Which is also worse.

Well, I'm conflicted on that point. Depending on how you feel about cultural relativism it's hard to overlook the Florida factor with regards to the incest.

On the other hand, unless Coldplay lives in Greece circa 500 BC or is a member of the Catholic clergy he has no excuse for enjoying prepubescent boys.

If Coldplay likes lady boys from 18-21, this is America and more power to him. (Maybe even 16 or 17 because I'm open minded like that).

If he diddles kids, that's way worse.

I think we can all agree that both of them are just weird dudes who should sit at their own end of the lunch table with Cajun, Fox, and the other weeaboos with their love pillows.

BigAT

They've said it's literally the exact same game but with better graphics and you guys are here saying, "Yeah, but you haven't PLAYED it yet."

What?

They've said it's literally the exact same game but with better graphics and you guys are here saying, "Yeah, but you haven't PLAYED it yet."

What?
Are we arguing about the gameplay?

Why is this so hard to grasp for you guys? Why am I agreeing with Dragon? Lots of tough questions this morning.

Dragon

Banned

What?

Well you'd be wrong. It includes all DLC and new difficulty levels from the start. It also is 60 fps which has to do with gameplay responsiveness. Not just graphics.

I'd also say if it was a cash grab, it wouldn't have been done by ND, they would have contracted it out to a port house.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Nintendo just needs to hurry up and release the unified platform already. I'm hoping for a handheld that's graphically superior to the Vita that plugs into your TV and is maybe a phone too.

I'm not sure how the hell you'd combine all of that but that's not my problem.

Edit: Haven't even played the Last of Us but judging from the high praise it's getting and the setting, one of the main characters are going to die.

Well you'd be wrong. It includes all DLC and new difficulty levels from the start. It also is 60 fps which has to do with gameplay responsiveness. Not just graphics.
I'm really excited about the DLC. The MP was outstanding in that game plus I never bought the SP stuff so it's all new to me.

Dragon

Banned
Nintendo just needs to hurry up and release the unified platform already. I'm hoping for a handheld that's graphically superior to the Vita that plugs into your TV and is maybe a phone too.

I'm not sure how the hell you'd combine all of that but that's not my problem.

Edit: Haven't even played the Last of Us but judging from the high praise it's getting and the setting, one of the main characters are going to die.

I think the hybrid approach makes sense for Nintendo, but it has to be cheap (~250) in order for it to take off in the US, and frankly I don't think we'd see that type of graphics capability with the price in mind.

I'm really excited about the DLC. The MP was outstanding in that game plus I never bought the SP stuff so it's all new to me.

Left Behind is really really well done. You're going to enjoy it. I loved playing the MP even though I'm terrible at online MP. It really is strategic and tense. Playing it with a friend of mine, we'd just give the controller back and forth each round and it was really fun.

BigAT

Are we arguing about the gameplay?

Why is this so hard to grasp for you guys? Why am I agreeing with Dragon? Lots of tough questions this morning.

You're giving him shit because he hasn't played the game yet, but playing it seems like a negligible action for judging it because the gameplay is the one thing that's unchanged.

I'd also say if it was a cash grab, it wouldn't have been done by ND, they would have contracted it out to a port house.

All the DLC is out already, it's nothing new. If TLOU was some sort of fast action/twitch game I might agree with you about the 60 FPS being a gameplay difference, but come on, it's not like the gameplay is going to change for that game in the least from the change.

Sanjuro

You haven't played the actual game and write it off as a cash grab. You don't see a problem with that?

They are re-releasing a game that barely over a year old, and during the remaining "zombie" craze. Also, being called a cash grab does not signify that the game is going to be bad either.

Just don't disguise it as a brand new game.

You're giving him shit because he hasn't played the game yet, but playing it seems like a negligible action for judging it because the gameplay is the one thing that's unchanged.
He is specifically calling the remaster a cash-grab which is what we're discussing. The PS3 game is $30 on Amazon right now ($40 digitally on the PSN store). For $20 more you can get a version that looks to be substantially improved in terms of visuals, plus DLC that as of right now would cost you $35 to buy on PSN (two map packs and the campaign add-on).

So you can buy the PS3 version and all the DLC right now for $65-$75 or you can buy the PS4 version with all of its graphical improvements for $50. What a cash-grab.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
I think the hybrid approach makes sense for Nintendo, but it has to be cheap (~250) in order for it to take off in the US, and frankly I don't think we'd see that type of graphics capability with the price in mind.

I think it has to be a phone or a tablet...with buttons somehow. It only has to be that cheap if it isn't some amazing innovative product though.

Nintendo is in a weird spot for sure. They obviously can't or won't compete with the PS4/XB1 market. They're not impressed with any of the VR tech either.

I think it's clear that if they keep going their current route, that's going to end badly.

dionysus

Yaldog
My personal theory on the unified system is more the silicon architecture and programming environment. That is why AMD is talking so much about Nintendo, they invested a lot of money in modular scalable chips. Plug in what modules you want to form the complete package.

So Ninty's next handheld will have like 50 shader cores and their next home console will have 200. (Numbers pulled from my ass.) But the underlying silicon will be similar.

Konka

Banned
I think this thread has personified why I've lost interest in console games. Up-ports, beta's, DLC, patches, etc..That kind of stuff is the reason I didn't get into PC gaming and it has taken over console gaming now. I feel like a lot of that defeats the point of is being a console game, maybe I'm just out of touch.

I think this thread has personified why I've lost interest in console games. Up-ports, beta's, DLC, patches, etc..That kind of stuff is the reason I didn't get into PC gaming and it has taken over console gaming now. I feel like a lot of that defeats the point of is being a console game, maybe I'm just out of touch.
You don't have to buy any of this stuff. I bought The Last of Us the day it released and loved every second of it. I never bought any of the DLC. I never worry about pre-order garbage and I almost never buy remasters or DLC, I'm just making an exception for this game because I really love it. It's not that big of a deal.

I agree that some of this stuff is ridiculous but it's also totally optional.

Dragon

Banned
All the DLC is out already, it's nothing new. If TLOU was some sort of fast action/twitch game I might agree with you about the 60 FPS being a gameplay difference, but come on, it's not like the gameplay is going to change for that game in the least from the change.

I'm going to stop, we obviously have different opinions, and I feel like yours is pretty myopic, but whatever, we've both stated it and that's kinda that.

Tamanon

Banned

Eh, up-ports will be gone next year, it's a console transition.

The rest, well, the money's been found, they won't give it up now.

bionic77

I think what Nintendo should do (or someone else) is release the unified hardware for mobile and home and make it incredibly cheap.

I really think someone is going to make a <$100 console that has good enough graphics and is relatively open that is going to destroy everything one day. When I look at how cheap the mobile chipsets are and how powerful they are getting I could see this happening in the next 2 years.

Make the home version under $100 and make the mobile ~$150 depending on the price of the screen and battery (the closer to $100 the better though). I bet it would have graphics that are close to the WiiU.

Basically an Apple TV or Roku on steroids.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
My personal theory on the unified system is more the silicon architecture and programming environment. That is why AMD is talking so much about Nintendo, they invested a lot of money in modular scalable chips. Plug in what modules you want to form the complete package.

So Ninty's next handheld will have like 50 shader cores and their next home console will have 200. (Numbers pulled from my ass.) But the underlying silicon will be similar.

Two systems with the same programming language, games that upscale, and cross buy would be the hardcore gamer's dream. Nintendo could literally pump out games twice as fast with one architecture so that third parties wouldn't even be that necessary.

Draxal

Two systems with the same programming language, games that upscale, and cross buy would be the hardcore gamer's dream. Nintendo could literally pump out games twice as fast with one architecture so that third parties wouldn't even be that necessary.

Ayup, pretty much Nintendo is the last bastion of Japanese gaming developers (Sony's best teams are all Western orientated). I kinda dread Nintendo going IAP route though. (5 dollah for a random shiny pokemon would make Nintendo so much money).

Tamanon

Banned
I think what Nintendo should do (or someone else) is release the unified hardware for mobile and home and make it incredibly cheap.

I really think someone is going to make a <$100 console that has good enough graphics and is relatively open that is going to destroy everything one day. When I look at how cheap the mobile chipsets are and how powerful they are getting I could see this happening in the next 2 years.

Make the home version under $100 and make the mobile ~$150 depending on the price of the screen and battery (the closer to $100 the better though). I bet it would have graphics that are close to the WiiU.

Basically an Apple TV or Roku on steroids.

Honestly, I think the console itself isn't the problem. A unified console can't be too tough for someone like Nintendo. It's making the game costs competitive.

In a mobile market, games are so cheap and profit margins for successful games are so insanely high. It's just a different economy.

But Nintendo would be well-suited for a unified console, as they've mastered the artstyle/gameplay over graphics method of development.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
You guys just need to get gaming PCs then pop in something like Skyrim w/mods or Civ 5 and then try and put that crack down.

jakncoke

Banned
Eh, up-ports will be gone next year, it's a console transition.

The rest, well, the money's been found, they won't give it up now.

I dont think they will, well maybe the up port. But I think we'll see several remakes and graphics upgrades to past games because they are relatively cheap and I think mostly give a good return on investment, that doesnt mean we dont be getting lots of good games; just look at last gen . As for his other points, how can someone hate on getting access to a game early? I mean sure if its a preorder bonus. Legit DLC that isnt already on the disc, how can you hate on new content of whatever game you liked Konka? Patches, if something is broken or can be bettered through a patch why hate on it Konka or would you rather have the game broken forever? One thing that really has annoyed me though from the past gen is say game X: Then stores Best Buy, Target, Gamespot, Amazon, Wal Mart all has like 2-3 things exclusive to them via preorder so you cant own the full package of the game. Even though the preorder bonuses are usually little shit like gold gun or extra costume doesnt make it less annoying. I dont think i'll ever understand Konkas brain.

Top Bottom