• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Off-Season Thread 5 - Everybody Do The Flop

I've never played one of those super nerd games, but I'm always fascinated by them when I'm in a store that has a wall of them. Seems fun, but I don't know know when and with who I'd ever play them with.

BigAT

Tony Dungy said he wouldn't have taken Michael Sam because "things will happen" and "distraction" and blah blah blah

Reminder he begged teams to sign Vick post-release from prison. Not a distraction in his opinion.

Isn't Dungy an uber Christian? I feel like he has said some anti-gay stuff in the past.

Ah yes, he was strongly against gay marriage under the bullshit banner of "I'm pro-family values!":
http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/colts/2007-03-21-dungy-remarks_N.htm

bionic77

Tony Dungy said he wouldn't have taken Michael Sam because "things will happen" and "distraction" and blah blah blah

Reminder he begged teams to sign Vick post-release from prison. Not a distraction in his opinion.
Things will happen is going to be used a lot this season.

Someone GIF that ASAP.

I have only seen 2 of their movies. I can watch them for a long time yet.

But that sucks.

Konka

Banned
Pretty much. He's one of those that doesn't accept his lifestyle but thinks he should get a chance in the NFL. Whatever that means.

It's such a dumb argument though. The same thing could have been said of allowing black players in the league back in the day. What a huge distraction that was huh.

Eclipse is awesome. Takes a long time to play though alongside setup.
Yeah, this is basically the only time in the past 5 years I would have been able to play a game like that. You really have to be able to dedicate some time to it.

That's a terrible bachelor party. At least get a hooker to share.
Dude, I told you we are all super nerds! Plus like chris said we were trying to avoid gata-bait.

I've never played one of those super nerd games, but I'm always fascinated by them when I'm in a store that has a wall of them. Seems fun, but I don't know know when and with who I'd ever play them with.
I'm kind of in the same boat, all of these guys live about four hours from me so I never really got to play any of the crazy board games they are into. Honestly I didn't think any of the games we played were that difficult to learn, they just look really intimidating and complicated before someone explains all the stuff to you.

eznark

Banned
The reaction to Dungy kind of proves his point. Anything Sam related is going to blow up into a huge story. As a football coach trying to win football games that probably sucks as much as Tebow being Tebow, JFF being a drunken idiot or Chris Kluwe hating rape victims. Just non-x's and o's shit that no one wants to deal with.

It doesn't help that most people think Sam is garbage (the key differentiator between him and a guy like Vick, whom Dungy thought could play football still).

Pepiope

The reaction to Dungy kind of proves his point. Anything Sam related is going to blow up into a huge story. As a football coach trying to win football games that probably sucks as much as Tebow being Tebow, JFF being a drunken idiot or Chris Kluwe hating rape victims. Just non-x's and o's shit that no one wants to deal with.

It doesn't help that most people think Sam is garbage (the key differentiator between him and a guy like Vick, whom Dungy thought could play football still).
So if you're homophobic it's going to blow up into a huge story? Who knew!

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
I said it before and I'll say it again.

Al Qaeda can come play for Green Bay if they're good at football and we get to win a Super Bowl.

eznark

Banned
So if you're homophobic it's going to blow up into a huge story? Who knew!

The positives will blow up into a huge story too, like him getting drafted. Or Tebow throwing one good pass in the playoffs.

I've never met a coach that liked off-the-field narratives dominating their teams storyline. Sometimes a guy is a special talent and worth it. Sometimes they are Tebow.

slabrock

Banned
It's such a dumb argument though. The same thing could have been said of allowing black players in the league back in the day. What a huge distraction that was huh.

Michael David Smith brought that up on PFT; pointing out Noll giving Dungy a coaching job in 1981 when that could have been a distraction. Granted that was an era before any dipshit could have a twitter page and spam racist/homophobic insults at people.

Spinluck

Not the same thing in my opinion.

But yeah, I don't agree with him at all. But I am not going to call people piece of shit bigots for their religious beliefs (unless they are actively harming others or falling off the deep end of hate).

BigAT

Pretty much. He's one of those that doesn't accept his lifestyle but thinks he should get a chance in the NFL. Whatever that means.

"I believe people of all lifestyle choices deserve a chance to live a healthy, productive life. The searing agony of eternal damnation in Hell upon facing God's judgment is punishment enough for his sinful existence."

Dragon

Banned
Not the same thing in my opinion.

But yeah, I don't agree with him at all. But I am not going to call people piece of shit bigots for their religious beliefs (unless they are actively harming others or falling off the deep end of hate).

Preventing people from getting married because they're gay is kind of piece of shit behavior. Dungy may be a good coach, but he's a bigot.

Zee-Row

Banned

Lost respect for Dungy with that quote. He's always been overrated in my opinion and couldn't win a Super Bowl without Manning. I knew there was always hate under his nice religious shell. Helping dog killer and begging teams to sign him is not a distraction but a gay player is huh Tony?

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer

What sort of revisionist history is this? Before the Eagles Vick did not impress with his QB play.

eznark

Banned
So unimpressive he was a #1 overall pick!

Michael David Smith brought that up on PFT; pointing out Noll giving Dungy a coaching job in 1981 when that could have been a distraction. Granted that was an era before any dipshit could have a twitter page and spam racist/homophobic insults at people.

60 years after the first pro football black head coach a black assistant special teams coach would've been a distraction? On a team with what, 35 black players?

Talon

It's hard to have a sports conversation about Sam within societal context.

On one hand, at least we're at a place in society where it doesn't require a HoF-level talent to break that barrier like with Jackie.

On the other hand, he's a tweener learning a new position that is unlikely to be a major impact player in his first couple seasons.

Guys....boobs?

ETPoCyc.jpg

dionysus

Yaldog
Hey!....good point....

Not really, he wasn't public then so the media circus didn't affect the team.

He might have an intellectually respectable point if he had a history of not dealing with any players that have off-the-field shenanigans that distract the team, but since this is the NFL and murder, serial rape accusations, dog killing, 4 DUIs, spouse abuse, are all perfectly acceptable even for mediocre players it just reveals his bigotry and hypocrisy.

eznark

Banned

He might have an intellectually respectable point if he had a history of not dealing with any players that have off-the-field shenanigans that distract the team, but since this is the NFL and murder, serial rape accusations, dog killing, 4 DUIs, spouse abuse, are all perfectly acceptable even for mediocre players it just reveals his bigotry and hypocrisy.

Bigotry maybe, but not hypocrisy. Not one ever puts up with a shitty person that also sucks at football.

What he meant was with Miamis bullying scandal last year our locker room wouldn't have accepted him

dionysus

Yaldog
Bigotry maybe, but not hypocrisy. Not one ever puts up with a shitty person that also sucks at football.

He was SEC defensive player of the year right? He just had terrible measurables. Other players have had terrible measurables but gone higher because of their on-field performance. Manti Te'o had some pretty shitty measurables right?

Chris.Trejo said:
What he meant was with Miamis bullying scandal last year our locker room wouldn't have accepted him

Think I might have misinterpreted. Darkside said that because it wasn't a distraction at Missouri it is unreasonable to expect it to be a distraction in the NFL. I thought you were agreeing with him. I was just pointing out that the situation is different because he wasn't "out" at Missouri.

And the he I am referring to in the second paragraph is Dungy.

BigAT

He was SEC defensive player of the year right? He just had terrible measurables. Other players have had terrible measurables but gone higher because of their on-field performance. Manti Te'o had some pretty shitty measurables right?

College football awards are rarely an indicator of ability to transition successfully to the NFL. See the huge number of Heisman Trophy winners that were awful in the NFL or didn't even get drafted.

eznark

Banned

This post doesn't really relate to what you quoted. You're talking about two different things. It implies I am calling Sam a shitty person, which I am not.

JABEE

What sort of revisionist history is this? Before the Eagles Vick did not impress with his QB play.
He was drafted 1st overall and was a starting QB for a playoff team. The Falcons went to the NFC Championship. Vick was the 1st 1000 yars rushing QB. Vick was a pro bowl player for most of his career. Sam is a tweener. He's a fringe player. Vick was an established NFL star.

Not sure how Vick wasn't going to be valued as even a running back or wildcat player in the league. He was still fucking faster and quicker than almost everyone on the field.

eznark

Banned
He was drafted 1st overall and was a starting QB for a playoff team. The Falcons went to the NFC Championship. Vick was the 1st 1000 yars rushing QB. Vick was a pro bowl player for most of his career. Sam is a tweener. He's a fringe player. Vick was an established NFL star.

Not sure how Vick wasn't going to be valued as even a running back or wildcat player in the league. He was still fucking faster and quicker than almost everyone on the field.

He's a seahawks fan, so he is new to the game.

Tim Tebow won a Heisman.

College awards don't matter once you're in the NFL. And he's on the Rams, who have a lot of depth defensively. I hope Sam has a long career, but he has a hell of an uphill battle if he wants to start Week 1, let alone stay on the team by then.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Tim Tebow won a Heisman.

College awards don't matter once you're in the NFL. And he's on the Rams, who have a lot of depth defensively. I hope Sam has a long career, but he has a hell of an uphill battle if he wants to start Week 1, let alone stay on the team by then.

They didn't draft him to start week 1. If Michael Sam was their week 1 starter then their season is already over.

Top Bottom