• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Off-Season Thread 5 - Everybody Do The Flop

Pro

I pay 200+ for cable internet and a DVR and have no premium channels. I hate Cox :(

I have Cox too. Since I was just on the phone with them, you can get Cox Economy cable for like $35/month (no ESPN, TBS, Science, Travel, and few other nice ones but whatev).

http://www.cox.com/residential/tv/channel-lineup.cox

Then 20Mbps Internet is 62.99. Or cheaper 5Mbps Internet. That's like $98.00 plus taxes and fees might bring you up to $120 but way better than $200+.

Also yeah I didn't even threaten to switch providers just wanted to downgrade service and they gave me $20 bucks off per month for the next year. You really should browse the website and give them a call to downgrade.

cajunator

Banned
I have Cox too. Since I was just on the phone with them, you can get Cox Economy cable for like $35/month (no ESPN, TBS, Science, Travel, and few other nice ones but whatev).

http://www.cox.com/residential/tv/channel-lineup.cox

Then 20Mbps Internet is 62.99. Or cheaper 5Mbps Internet. That's like $98.00 plus taxes and fees might bring you up to $120 but way better than $200+.

Also yeah I didn't even threaten to switch providers just wanted to downgrade service and they gave me $20 bucks off per month for the next year. You really should browse the website and give them a call to downgrade.

the fuck is this? I can get gigabit internet for 100 bucks a month.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
I was able to upgrade to 40mb for $70 a month from 10mb for 40 a month.

I'm excited to return to a somewhat lower class internet status up from my poverty stricken Florida level class.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
I was able to upgrade to 40mb for $70 a month from 10mb for 40 a month.

I'm excited to return to a somewhat lower class internet status up from my poverty stricken Florida level class.

I've been on 10mb for $30 a month for ages. Don't think it's worth it to pay for more but I'm a poverty stricken Florida level class.

BigAT

Charles having a good sense of humor about his contract:

Jamaal Charles ‏@jcharles25
I had no intention on holding out...I just ran out of gas on the way to camp and my cell phone battery died. It was a long walk I tell ya.

JABEE

How many accounts has the Gata compromised? I'm going to assume all of the Pats fans on here as well as the newly converted hybrids.

hi Grover, my baseball team is absolute shit, how do I deal with these feels :(

At least your football team is great. Even though Goodell's trying to outlaw them from the league because Peyton Manning getting embarrassed on national TV by thugs and ruffians like Dick Sherman and Bad Boy Russ isn't in the best interest of the Shield.

Gata, godslay, other new sympathizers of the sport that starts with an f and involves a round ball read the spoilered text. Everyone else continue with your day.

Great night of preseason matches for some of the big English clubs

Liverpool at 7 in Fenway on NBC Sports
Tottenham at 7 in Toronto on The Deuce
Man City at 9 in Kansas City on The Deuce
Man United at 11 in LA on Fox Sports 1

Free agent QB Kyle Orton doesn't plan to retire and wants to play this season.
Cowboys owner/GM Jerry Jones says Orton was going to report to training camp. Apparently the Cowboys didn't want him there, and wanted him to retire, so they cut him. Brandon Weeden is Tony Romo's backup. Orton will try to find a job as a clipboard holder likely at some point near the end of summer.
Nick Eatman ‏@nickeatman 4m
Jerry jones says Weeden's play in the offseason was one of the reasons to let orton go
Wut

Juicy. RT @RuiterWrongFAN: .@scheiner_alec said Browns in testing mode re: new uniforms & making sure designs look good on TV, at night etc.
Hnngh!

Farooq

Banned
Wut

Hnngh!

I think this is Jerry trying to spin this situation into a positive. The real reason Orton was let go was because Orton was not going back to the Cowboys (told the Cowboys he was contemplating retirement) , and the Cowboys weren't going to play a game of chicken and waste a roster spot to recoup the 3 million+ in bonus money.

Cowboys had little leverage and it was easier to cut bait with Orton.

MechDX

My Browns going primetime baby!

Money Manziel, King James, Prophet Aubrey in the camp already, many more to come.

Hop onto the train now before we run out of room yall. Cleve going global!

Its all fun and games until a coked up Manziel comes out and starts humping Lebrons leg on national TV

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Was going to say that Orton is better than some starting QBs and most backups...he's only 31. He has a few more years left.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Gata, godslay, other new sympathizers of the sport that starts with an f and involves a round ball read the spoilered text. Everyone else continue with your day.

Great night of preseason matches for some of the big English clubs

Liverpool at 7 in Fenway on NBC Sports
Tottenham at 7 in Toronto on The Deuce
Man City at 9 in Kansas City on The Deuce
Man United at 11 in LA on Fox Sports 1

I'm just happy Rebecca Lowe is back.

Farooq

Banned
This was the situation with Orton. Relevant parts in bold.

The offseason-long saga about a backup quarterback with a questionable skillset comes to an end with the word that the Dallas Cowboys are releasing quarterback Kyle Orton from his contract. The team is set to report for training camp in just seven days, and apparently have decided that the game of chicken had exhausted its entertainment value.

The move actually saves the Cowboys space against the 2014 cap and brings their available money to just under $11 million. Dallas is already in negotiations with WR Dez Bryant and LT Tyron Smith about extensions to their rookie deals.

Orton started exactly one game in his Cowboys career, and was paid quite handsomely for it. Dallas signed the former Bear, Bronco and Chief to a three-year, $10.5 million contract prior to the 2012 season to be the “starter-quality” backup to Tony Romo. He had performed mop-up duty in a three games prior to last season’s NFC East Championship game that the team lost to the Philadelphia Eagles. Dallas was down by two with the ball when Orton threw behind Miles Austin for an interception.

After the season was over, Orton apparently told the team that he was contemplating retirement. Whether or not the team believed Orton or considered it a move to gain his freedom, a la Jay Ratliff’s injury situation, is uncertain. However, the Cowboys seemed to be highly interested in a clause in the CBA that allows teams to recoup money given to a player for salary cap purposes.

Orton’s 2012 deal was structured as follows: $5 million signing bonus, $900,000 base salary in 2012, $1.35 million base salary in 2013 and $3.25 million base salary for 2014. Prior to the 2013 season, Orton’s deal was restructured to create cap space like so many other Dallas contracts. That converted $510,000 of his 2013 base salary into signing bonus.

The reason for that is simple. For accounting purposes, signing bonuses can be spread evenly over the remaining years of a contract, up to a maximum of five years. So while Orton was paid $5.9m during the 2012 season, his cap hit was actually only $2.57m at the time. When the team moved some of his base salary to bonus in 2013, they employed a method of spreading the signing bonus out even more, called voidable years. Dallas added two years, 2015 and 2016 to Orton’s deal; years that didn’t really exist because a clause was written in the contract that he wouldn’t actually play for the team in those seasons.

What that move does is allow the original bonus to now be allocated over five years ($5 million over 5 years = $1 million hit per year). Also, the new bonus of $510,000 would be spread over the remaining four years (2013-2016) evenly, at a cost at $127,500 per season. All that adds up to the Cowboys, due to the CBA clause mentioned earlier, to be entitled to demand repayment of the bonus money allocated to years 2014, 2015 and 2016. That would be $1,127,500 x 3, or $3,382,500.

That’s where the game of chicken comes into play. Dallas would love to recoup the cash from the transaction if Orton had officially retired. However, they were in a position of little leverage considering the probably couldn’t have kept him on an active roster to wait him out. They could have gone through training camp and it’s expanded rosters, but would they have cut “Mr. 53” to force Orton’s hand?

So in the end, they have released Orton. If he had played, Orton would have counted $4.3775m against the 2014 cap. With his release, there is no base salary to pay, so only his prorated signing bonuses count against the cap. With a cap hit of $1.1275m, the move actually gives Dallas $3.25 million of more space. However, the remaining unamortized bonus that was to be charged to 2015 and 2016 ($1.1275m respectively) now hits the 2015 cap as “dead money”, totaling $2.255m.

Source.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
The fact they were so desperate to keep Orton says how fucked they are. They are easily the worst team in the league if Romo goes down for any extended amount of time this year.

Farooq

Banned
The fact they were so desperate to keep Orton says how fucked they are. They are easily the worst team in the league if Romo goes down for any extended amount of time this year.

They weren't that desperate for Orton or they wouldn't have cut him. They wanted to get their money back, however it would probably hurt the team if they were going to force Orton's hand.

Also, I think most teams are fucked if their starting quarterback goes down.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
They weren't that desperate for Orton or they wouldn't have cut him. They wanted to get their money back, however it would probably hurt the team if they were going to force Orton's hand.

Also, I think most teams are fucked if their starting quarterback goes down.

Unless you're Green Bay playing in a division with the Lions, Vikings, and Bears anyway.

Top Bottom