• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Off-Season Thread 5 - Everybody Do The Flop

eznark

Banned
While it is still heavy handed, it's not, "suspended for weed". It's suspended for being arrested 3 times before his 3rd season even starts. The league pretty much has always punished multiple offenders.

What's weird is, guys that do shit that is much worse, but it's their first instance, get a slap on the wrist. I guess the league just figures that news will die down. While guys that keep doing it, it lingers. I dunno.

It's still crazy, but how many chances should a guy get. Don't fucking get caught with trivial shit and he wouldn't be in the situation.

It's all in the CBA so it's not that strange. It is strange that the league doesn't codify some sort of domestic abuse punishment though.

JNC!

I got on Destiny last night but all you guys were already off. EZ was the only one still on but just sitting in orbit for a couple hours, clearly AFK. Knocked out the Strike mission so that basically just leaves pvp or the free roam mode for this character. I want to try out a Hunter before the beta ends though so not sure what more I'll do with my Warlock, probably at least get level (at 7). Definitely a lot of fun when playing with others and the full game will be so much better when there is phat loot for that proverbial carrot on a stick.

Yeah, sorry. Was playing noob dota with Bob and Live.

cashman

Banned
NFC East Projections from Football Outsiders:

Philadelphia Eagles: 10-6 (10.0 mean wins, strength of schedule: 23)
New York Giants: 9-7 (8.6 mean wins, SOS: 24)
Dallas Cowboys: 7-9 (7.1 mean wins, SOS: 15)
Washington Redskins: 6-10 (6.3 mean wins, SOS: 21)

Do these guys just use their computers and not actually watch the games? This is a Jason Garrett team, we're going 8-8.

I am freaking tired of hearing the name Johnny Manizel. I live in Akron, not to far from Cleveland, and he is all they can talk about. Dear lord I guess it'd be different if he proven himself on the field but jesus the way they talk about him on the radio he'd think he was the second coming of Jesus.

I want to see him prove himself on the field then we can all gush over him. I love my Browns don't get me wrong, but it is so annoying.

Do these guys just use their computers and not actually watch the games? This is a Jason Garrett team, we're going 8-8.

Have you seen how the team looks right now? 8-8 would be the best-case scenario.

I mean, unless your best-case scenario involves something that isn't 8-8 for the 4th year in a row so you don't go insane.

Draxal

NFC East Projections from Football Outsiders:

Philadelphia Eagles: 10-6 (10.0 mean wins, strength of schedule: 23)
New York Giants: 9-7 (8.6 mean wins, SOS: 24)
Dallas Cowboys: 7-9 (7.1 mean wins, SOS: 15)
Washington Redskins: 6-10 (6.3 mean wins, SOS: 21)

SOS is the big thing, I'm not sure about the injury metric as they are an older team and Reese isn't averse to drafting injured players in the draft.

I'll be real though, I'm so excited about the new offense, as while I don't want to shit on Gilbride, I thought other teams caught on and he failed to reinvigorate the offense in a proper manner that had Eli and the WRs on the same page. Plus i'm excited about a brand new line.

While it is still heavy handed, it's not, "suspended for weed". It's suspended for being arrested 3 times before his 3rd season even starts. The league pretty much has always punished multiple offenders.

What's weird is, guys that do shit that is much worse, but it's their first instance, get a slap on the wrist. I guess the league just figures that news will die down. While guys that keep doing it, it lingers. I dunno.

It's still crazy, but how many chances should a guy get. Don't fucking get caught with trivial shit and he wouldn't be in the situation.

True. I suppose the way I was looking at it seemed so out there. I mean, Josh Gordon is a pretty normal, albeit foolish, young man. What Rice did was messed up.

jakncoke

Banned
Take a close look at his avatar before you get all emotional and challenge him to a fight.

A return to glory for the Black and Gold!

Cant wait till we get out of cap hell and Colbert starts hitting drafts again so we can rebuild our team, sadly by the time this happens Ben will either be broken, banned for life for a 3rd accused sexual assault or retired and we'll be in that limbo stage we were when Bradshaw elbow went and we drafted Ben. Going to be a rough 12 years for us.

eznark

Banned
vi0WQUB.png

Bob is the best!

MechDX

I didn't play the alpha so it may have improved but the Dinklage dialogue is still terrible. Sometimes he tries to do the emotionless robot voice, other times he tries to emote but he just can't be bothered to do a decent job.

You leave not 343 Guilty Spark alone you monster!

It's all in the CBA so it's not that strange. It is strange that the league doesn't codify some sort of domestic abuse punishment though.

Yeah, sorry. Was playing noob dota with Bob and Live.

No worries, buddy. We'll get us some NFL GAF Destiny going at some point. Still wish you could create a larger fire team than 3 though. If they let us check out a raid in the beta we'd be able to go 6 deep for that.

Dragon

Banned
No worries, buddy. We'll get us some NFL GAF Destiny going at some point. Still wish you could create a larger fire team than 3 though. If they let us check out a raid in the beta we'd be able to go 6 deep for that.

You can get a fireteam of up to six peeps when you're doing multi, which is kinda one of the draws for me. Doing the same raids over and over again when you can't go beyond level 8 gear is kinda pointless to me.

Talon

So Talon, the Verge...massive failure or what?
The site has fallen out of my rotation in the past 6-8 months.

Nilay's the smartest guy on staff, so it's a fortuitous move for the publication. I'd blame Topolsky for the weird Mashable/BuzzFeed bent. Nilay had left to lead product at Eater a few months ago. Josh seemed more concerned about culture. I still like their reviews - the production level is top notch so that's a major differentiator compared to Engadget, Gizmodo (lol), Ars and Anand.

Also, good riddance to the mouth breather. Found him to be a tiresome writer as well.

Ars Technica and Anand are still my go-to tech sites as ever.

Like Vox a lot, though. It's popular among my journo-circle as well - mainly with the little "timeline" feature. It's real time history and context, which is what this medium should be producing on an evolving platform like the web.

eznark

Banned
The site has fallen out of my rotation in the past 6-8 months.

Nilay's the smartest guy on staff, so it's a fortuitous move for the publication. I'd blame Topolsky for the weird Mashable/BuzzFeed bent. Nilay had left to lead product at Eater a few months ago. Josh seemed more concerned about culture. I still like their reviews - the production level is top notch so that's a major differentiator compared to Engadget, Gizmodo (lol), Ars and Anand.

Also, good riddance to the mouth breather. Found him to be a tiresome writer as well.

Ars Technica and Anand are still my go-to tech sites as ever.

Like Vox a lot, though. It's popular among my journo-circle as well - mainly with the little "timeline" feature. It's real time history and context, which is what this medium should be producing on an evolving platform like the web.

Vox.com is garbage.

Good point on Pitel, he's easily the best thing going over there. Hopefully they improve their content. They still have that "tablet" design which to me is like Windows 8, only usable on a tablet. I still don't think that is a smart strategy. Maybe their podcast will be listenable now too. Since Tested died there are no good tech podcasts left depending on which guests are on TWiT.

Thanks, online news correspondent! By the way, how terrible has TNT gotten? C'mon Leo, hire someone good.

bionic77

Cant wait till we get out of cap hell and Colbert starts hitting drafts again so we can rebuild our team, sadly by the time this happens Ben will either be broken, banned for life for a 3rd accused sexual assault or retired and we'll be in that limbo stage we were when Bradshaw elbow went and we drafted Ben. Going to be a rough 12 years for us.
This is the last time we were truly happy:

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/09000d5d81db3c64/GameDay-Ravens-vs-Steelers-highlights

Too bad all of our good players died or got hurt in this game or against the Jets the next week.

@AlbertBreer
In Baltimore, CB Aaron Ross tore his Achilles during the team's conditioning test.

That's probably it for him.

Story of his career. Spent two seasons with hamstring injuries on the Giants he couldn't overcome. Played poorly for bouts of games and then would suddenly turn it on and play as a solid corner on the big stage ('07 and '11 run for the Giants).

Sucks for him but yeah, I agree. That's probably it for Ross.

Captain Obvious statement of the day by a Giant:

Paul Schwartz @NYPost_Schwartz · 6m

Reuben Randle says 80 percent of the INTs he was part of last season were the result of miscommunication. #nyg

Yeah no shit, Reuben. We noticed.

Putting 343 on that cover is fucking hilarious! I know companies do it but fuck man, Halo 4 was very divisive at least from the gamer's side.
Screw Halo 4. I didn't even touched the multiplayer on that.

Halo 2 & 3 however...I need that pumped directly into my veins. Plus OG Halo with proper online multiplayer, game of the forever confirmed.

Bowser

FO NFC South projections? Would be interested to see what they think. Assuming it'll probably something like:

NO
TB
ATL
CAR

Dragon

Banned
Screw Halo 4. I didn't even touched the multiplayer on that.

Halo 2 & 3 however...I need that pumped directly into my veins. Plus OG Halo with proper online multiplayer, game of the forever confirmed.

Never been a big Halo guy, do you have confidence that 343 can make a great Halo game?

MechDX

Seahawks suddenly a perfect trade partner for the Texans and Andre Johnson?

http://houston.cbslocal.com/2014/07...e-for-andre-johnson-makes-sense-for-everyone/

Johnson would fit the Seahawks game plan at wide out in the same way that Rice did. Rice was the only big target for Russell Wilson. At 6’4″ Rice is an inch taller than Johnson, but Johnson would immediately be the tallest WR in Seattle.

The Seahawks have about $8mil in cap space right now. With a few moves they could probably work enough space or restructure Johnson’s contract t get him on the roster for the next two seasons of his contract without issue.

The Texans probably don’t want to give up on Andre Johnson. He is likely the first player the Texans will consider adding to a ring of honor. But if a first round pick is dangled in front of them by a team they would only meet in the Super Bowl they might have to take that deal.

Still 98% sure he is not being traded but it is an interesting thought and does make sense

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Stat whoring doesn't appeal to me in a shooter.
It's anathema to me. The only things I want to differentiate players in a shooting game are knowledge, skill, and preference. None of this grinding shit where shooting somebody in the face counts less because I didn't run the hamster wheel enough.

One perspective might be that MS doesn't have faith because they're just releasing all of the old games with better graphics.

Now nobody can complain.

I don't know if that's a question of faith or the simple fact that they aren't anywhere near ready to relase Halo 5 and the Xbox One needs their big franchise on the console anyway it can get it ASAP.

bionic77

Scumbags (aka Pats fans) let me ask you a question.

Bellicheat and the evil organization known as the Patriots made a conscious choice to basically never be great but always continue to fill their team with young players, focus entirely on offense and never get fucked by the salary cap so that they would always be competitive. It helps that they worship Satan and play in a pathetic division that makes the NFC North look competent, but that has been their strategy for years. And for the most part it has worked and they have won many AFC East Division titles and dominated many a power ranking.

My question to you is that do you evil, good for nothing bastards agree with this choice of continued regular season success or do you wish that the Patriots had gone for it and paid the price for high priced talent (especially on defense and at quarterback where they need it) to get that first legitimate Superbowl but in the process killing your ability to compete in the future?

Two more questions. Did most of your mother abuse alcohol and other drugs while pregnant? And was it Dungeons and Dragons and Nintendo that enticed you to worship Satan or was it something else?

Top Bottom