• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Off-Season Thread 5 - Everybody Do The Flop

About two months still...

5HV9G89.jpg

brentech

Preseason is only marginally better than CFL.

Unless you're a film junkie like LJ11 or some of the other posters here anyway.
It's always exciting for that first minute until you remember what it really is.

(And 2 Packers' lose their season)

Broncos-Cowboys from last year is on NFLN.

Classic Romo Being Romo game.

He carried the Boys on his back for 3+ quarters, but made the critical mistake at the end, so of course its all his fault they lost.

oneHeero

He carried the Boys on his back for 3+ quarters, but made the critical mistake at the end, so of course its all his fault they lost.
Which is bs! The defense gives up 50+ but only Romos INT is remembered in this game. Not the 500+ yds, not the 5 tds, not the fact that he gave the cowboys a chance to win. I mean without romo having the game he did they would've lost 50+ to 14 or something.

Godslay

Banned

Ah yes, the praise the sun game. Great game, the sun in that stadium is brutal. Romo was excellent, but Danny T got the best of him. Plus it gave us the slowest bootleg in NFL history that resulted in a touchdown.

Which is bs! The defense gives up 50+ but only Romos INT is remembered in this game. Not the 500+ yds, not the 5 tds, not the fact that he gave the cowboys a chance to win. I mean without romo having the game he did they would've lost 50+ to 14 or something.

With Weeden you would've put up 70. Just wait and see. You'll like him.

Farooq

Banned

And on the INT, his own linemen stepped on his foot thus he could not step into his throw. Not to mention Escobar did not flatten his route. He also had Murray open on the check down, probably a safer throw. I think if you could summarize Romo's career in one game, it would be that game.

Edit: Looking at the gif, it was Tyron who backed into Romo. Damn Tron, why you have to do Romo like that?

tony-romo-pick.gif

Godslay

Banned
And on the INT, his own linemen stepped on his foot thus he could not step into his throw. Not to mention Escobar did not flatten his route. He also had Murray open on the check down, probably a safer throw. I think if you could summarize Romo's career in one game, it would be that game.

To be fair to Trevathan, he made a diving catch for the int. Was a catchable ball had Escobar adjusted to it imo.

Alt. angle. Had Trevathan not dived for the ball it probably would have been a completion.
C3TRib3.jpg

Looking back over the Denver secondary though, yuck. No physicality what so ever. Dez Bryant and Witten just did as they pleased that game.

ShaneB

Ah yes, the praise the sun game. Great game, the sun in that stadium is brutal. Romo was excellent, but Danny T got the best of him. Plus it gave us the slowest bootleg in NFL history that resulted in a touchdown.

Yup. Rewatching and that little strip of sunlight drives me crazy.

Farooq

Banned
To be fair to Trevathan, he made a diving catch for the int. Was a catchable ball had Escobar adjusted to it imo.

Looking back over the Denver secondary though, yuck. No physicality what so every. Dez Bryant and Witten just did as they pleased that game.

Yea, Trevathan made a hell of a play.

Godslay

Banned
Yup. Rewatching and that little strip of sunlight drives me crazy.

It's a terrible design depending on which time of day and the side of the field you are on. The Broncos had to throw into the sun, and play defense facing the sun. You would think that the orientation of the field would be north/south, but even then you get shadows on the field depending on the time of the day. Still Cowboys stadium faces east/west and this is what you get. Almost all fields are north/south for this reason.

Yea, Trevathan made a hell of a play.

As did most of the Cowboys offense. Dez and Williams just had their way with anybody that game, especially DRC. Probably the most exciting regular season game last year, outside of the lead up to that Chiefs game at least for me.

Who can suggest me some cool rap music?

I'm listening to some Schoolboy Q and Kendrick Lamar at the moment. Something like those dudes?

Just got off a plane from Toronto with Pierre Garçon. Told him he rocked and he said thanks. Surprised nobody else recognizes him...what the hell Redskins nation.

ShaneB

It's a terrible design depending on which time of day and the side of the field you are on. The Broncos had to throw into the sun, and play defense facing the sun. You would think that the orientation of the field would be north/south, but even then you get shadows on the field depending on the time of the day. Still Cowboys stadium faces east/west and this is what you get. Almost all fields are north/south for this reason.

Considering the money spent on the stadium, it's confusing that it's even an issue for something so rudimentary.

Farooq

Banned

Alt. angle. Had Trevathan not dived for the ball it probably would have been a completion.
C3TRib3.jpg

Looking back over the Denver secondary though, yuck. No physicality what so ever. Dez Bryant and Witten just did as they pleased that game.

I just felt like the pressure around Romo did not allow him to get enough on the throw, and Escobar could have flattened his route to not allow Trevathan to make the play.

romospecial8_original.jpg

In that image Escobar has a step on Trevathan, however he did not stay at the same depth. He says as much after the game.

The pressure caused Romo's awkward footing and delivery, first with Tyron stepping on his foot, then his LG coming across his face. Even with Escobar not flattening his route, the throw was there but it had to be perfect. Obviously it was not.

LOLROMO.gif

What irks me is that Murray was open on the check down. The risk Romo took with Escobar was not necessary, but that is easy to say on my couch several months later.

Just going off of NFLN's schedule for today, here are their games of the year (not in order I don't think)

Packers-Bengals
Broncos-Patriots (Regular Season)
Cowboys-Lions
Patriots-Panthers
Niners-Packers (Playoffs)
Broncos-Cowboys
Packers-Bears (Second Regular Season Game)
Niners-Seahawks (Playoffs)
Saints-Patriots
Chiefs-Colts (Playoffs)

Godslay

Banned
Considering the money spent on the stadium, it's confusing that it's even an issue for something so rudimentary.

Apparently there are curtains, but I think they only break those out when it's the home team facing that direction. At least that's what it seems like, could be wrong.

I just felt like the pressure around Romo did not allow him to get enough on the throw, and Escobar could have flattened his route to not allow Trevathan to make the play.

In that image Escobar has a step on Trevathan, however he did not stay at the same depth. He says as much after the game.

The pressure caused Romo's awkward footing and delivery, first with Tyron stepping on his foot, then his LG coming across his face. Even with Escobar not flattening his route, the throw was there but it had to be perfect. Obviously it was not.

What irks me is that Murray was open on the check down. The risk Romo took with Escobar was not necessary, but that is easy to say on my couch several months later.

I don't disagree. Romo was under duress, Escobar gave up on the route to some degree, and Trevathan made the play. The depth is also a good point, but I think Escobar should have battled for the ball assuming that he could have. So many moving parts to the play, which makes it really interesting. If it wasn't for that play I don't doubt the Cowboys win that game. It was pretty much a game where the last team to touch the ball was going to win.

God, damn, those mostly blue Broncos Jerseys are sexy!

I like the orange myself, but the blues are great. Plus we last won the SB in the blues so they will always be special.

Just going off of NFLN's schedule for today, here are their games of the year (not in order I don't think)

Packers-Bengals
Broncos-Patriots (Regular Season)
Cowboys-Lions
Patriots-Panthers
Niners-Packers (Playoffs)
Broncos-Cowboys
Packers-Bears (Second Regular Season Game)
Niners-Seahawks (Playoffs)
Saints-Patriots
Chiefs-Colts (Playoffs)

hilarious that the broncos/cowboys and chiefs/colts are on the list. just because 2 teams have defenses so inept that you get 40+ points for each team doesn't mean they were good games.

i don't think i would see defenses more pathetic than the cowboys/broncos until i saw the chiefs/colts game. colts D was an absolute joke in the first half and the chiefs D was an absolute joke in the 2nd half. this list is horse shit

Godslay

Banned
hilarious that the broncos/cowboys and chiefs/colts are on the list. just because 2 teams have defenses so inept that you get 40+ points for each team doesn't mean they were good games.

i don't think i would see defenses more pathetic than the cowboys/broncos until i saw the chiefs/colts game. colts D was an absolute joke in the first half and the chiefs D was an absolute joke in the 2nd half. this list is horse shit

I take it you didn't watch that game. It was a barn burner. Yeah, no one played defense, but to be fair Peyton and Romo were on point that day.

I take it you didn't watch that game. It was a barn burner. Yeah, no one played defense, but to be fair Peyton and Romo were on point that day.

i did watch the game. it was a pathetic display of defense. it's not hard to be "on your game" when the defense is giving it away. of course there were some tight throws and plays by both QB's, as there always will be. but the defense was basically awful coverage and awful tackling for both teams. and i think there is a difference between "best games" and "most entertaining" games. i would say the cowboys/broncos game was entertaining in the same way that arena football is entertaining or playing head to head on madden with rookie difficulty. winging it up and down the field, not much defense to speak of.

give me a properly executed game with players on BOTH sides performing at a high level over this junk type of game anyday!

FMT's best games list:

Cardinals vs Seahawks
Cardinals vs Niners
Rams vs Seahawks
Rams vs Niners
Niners vs Seahawks
Niners vs Seahawks (playoffs)
Seahawks vs Niners
Niners vs Rams
Niners vs Cardinals

Godslay

Banned
i did watch the game. it was a pathetic display of defense. it's not hard to be "on your game" when the defense is giving it away. of course there were some tight throws and plays by both QB's, as there always will be. but the defense was basically awful coverage and awful tackling for both teams. and i think there is a difference between "best games" and "most entertaining" games. i would say the cowboys/broncos game was entertaining in the same way that arena football is entertaining or playing head to head on madden with rookie difficulty. winging it up and down the field, not much defense to speak of.

give me a properly executed game with players on BOTH sides performing at a high level over this junk type of game anyday!

Same could be said for Seahawks/Niners meddling offenses. Not hard to keep the score low and play defense when the offenses aren't that great. Games are still entertaining though. Now before you say 43-8, that game was more a comedy of errors than anything else. Doesn't count.

cajunator

Banned

That game wasnt Romos fault at all.

Same could be said for Seahawks/Niners meddling offenses. Not hard to keep the score low and play defense when the offenses aren't that great. Games are still entertaining though. Now before you say 43-8, that game was more a comedy of errors than anything else. Doesn't count.

except the seahawks and niners both showed they could put up big points. when did the cowboys or broncos ever show they could play defense against even a middle-of-the-road offense? didn't happen

cowboys: 5th ranked offense, 26th ranked defense
broncos: 1st ranked offense, 22nd ranked defense

seahawks: 8th ranked offense, 1st ranked defense
49ers: 11th ranked offense, 3rd ranked defense

Top Bottom