• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread 2015 |OT| All of our teams suck!

What's not impressive about sub 6 yards per attempt?
I hate to be one of those "system quarterback" type guys but it's hard not to feel that way when Brady succeeds. No coincidence that all of his SB wins have come in years where the Pats defense was great. I will say that Brady in his 2007 form was legitimately a terrifying QB but that didn't last more than a few seasons.

Just look at the early games this season for an example of Brady playing when the system isn't working well. Wasn't that second half against the Dolphins in week 1 one of the worst halves by a QB of all time?

eznark

Banned
Brady only averaged 5.9 yards per attempt.

YEAH WELL RODGERS LOST!

Oh well great performance by Brady then. His interception at the goal line was clutch.

Bread

Banned
q05GPAj.jpg

BREAD

Edit:
FJtLSBu.jpg

Just in case you want to use it as your avatar.
YEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAASSSSSSSS

Rando, here's your avatar for the next month my friend.

Spinluck

That's great. If Tyree and Mannningham didn't make catches etc..nobody gives a fuck. GB defense carried Rodgers with 5 turnovers an he put up 22 points...

Tyree and Manningham have nothing to do with Rodger's health and the fact that he's still the best QB in today's NFL.

You start Russell over Rodgers. Then Flynn.

And you pass on the 1 yard line instead of run! Even Trent Truck would've gotten that TD!

I guess proper congrats to Pats-GAF is in order because I didn't give them last night

Congrats to King Sanjuro

Congrats to Alligatorjandro. For all the shit we give you, you deserve to have your day to shine.

Congrats to Bread and my brother Dutch Patriot. I know we have all that BoycottBreadstream business and the fact that Dutch keeps ducking me in FIFA by hiding behind time zones, but I still got love for yall.

Congrats to Penny, Colasante, Dragon, Patriots7, msdtc, all you other Pats-GAF regulars.

Congrats to the admitted lifelongs who may not even be fans next year.

Congrats to Lunchbox beyond the grave.

To SeattleGAF (especially my boys rando, cdy, Western), keep ya head up. Your team is built to be a contender for a long time and I'm sure will get more opportunities to win another bowl in the future.

In terms of on the field product, it was a terrific game, probably the best since Arizona-Pittsburgh. As an entertainment/TV spectacle though, it was a bit of letdown. The commercials ranged from merely good (Snickers with Danny Trejo) to boring (most of them) to really depressing and fucked up (Nationwide dead kid). Not even digging up Missy Elliot from the grave could save that sorry half-time show.

Brady's resume is probably the most impressive of all time but in terms of QB skill I don't think he's the GOAT.

Going by pure QB skill, Rodgers is the GOAT. Not even joking.

Going off resume, Montana is still top of the mountain for me.

I'm not deflecting anything, he threw for 328 yards and 4 TDs against the best defense in the league. I don't know how you can say that wasn't impressive.
Those numbers don't contradict anything I said. Efficient game for the Patriots offense but Brady looked like a cog in the machine, not an all-time great.

eznark

Banned
I'm not deflecting anything, he threw for 328 yards and 4 TDs against the best defense in the league. I don't know how you can say that wasn't impressive.

Because I'm not impressed by raw counting stats? His completion percentage was impressive, they did a good job combining crossing routes with Gronk vertical routes which occupied LB's and forced corners to run and then try and tackle man up.

But YAC was what? 146 yards or something crazy? Some of that goes to Brady for delivering balls on time but bulk of the credit goes to the scheme and calls.

LevelNth

Banned
Didn't get the meteor strike I was hoping for, but I'm glad the Pats won. Seattle's bullshit jump ball/luck passing offense was just too much. They are nuts if they let Lynch go.

Don't get the Bevell hate. He runs Carroll's offense, and does a good job of giving Wilson lots of easy throws. That slant/go to Lynch was awesome and maybe goes for 6 on a better throw.
The Bevell hate is just bandwagon Seahawks fans salty and trying desperately not to admit to themselves that Wussle made a horrible read and play, pulled a Kap and didn't check out of it and tried to steal the glory only to fall flat on his face. The Hawks O is horrible and Bevell continually made something out of nothing all year.

Plus this is no longer about the Hawks letting Lynch go, but rather him just straight up leaving. It was blatantly obvious the organization soooo wanted Wussle to get all the glory as they hate Lynch and want so bad for him not to be the entire offense, but he is.

They bet all their chips on a guy who failed horribly and managed to throw a 3 yard, non-tipped interception, and it's going to cost them one of the greatest RB's on the past decade, maybe more.

The sweetness that will be Wilson's bloated contract in the next 3 months will just be hilarious.

eznark

Banned
Watching those Seahawks receivers try to get open in straight man situations when they had 8+ seconds to do so on multiple occasions was just pathetic.

Patriots7

It wasn't a dream!
(I blacked out and had to check my phone to make sure I didn't dream a Tommy win)

Today's so beautiful, guys :)

Even with 20 inches of snow on the ground.

Dragon

Banned
Those numbers don't contradict anything I said. Efficient game for the Patriots offense but Brady looked like a cog in the machine, not an all-time great.

Come on man, he was what...14 for 16 for 130 yards and two TDs in the fourth quarter against the best defense in the NFL?

BigAT

Why was Collinsworth constantly calling his catch a fluke play?

I was listening to the radio on the drive home and one of the guys called Manningham's "a one in a million catch". What?

Don't get me wrong, it was a great catch in a big situation, but that level of catch happens pretty frequently. People acting like it was a circus play or some freak accident never made any sense to me. I guess it just fits with their narrative of tying into it into the Tyree catch.

Come on man, he was what...14 for 16 for 130 yards and two TDs in the fourth quarter against the best defense in the NFL?
Go look at the throws and tell me which ones impressed you. The accuracy was solid and the third and long bullet to Edelman (I think?) was impressive, otherwise it was dinking and dunking against mismatches created by well designed schemes.

Also, they aren't the best defense in the NFL with a bum backup playing slot CB and three other guys in the secondary banged up, not to mention Avril being out.

Brady did what he needed to do, I will admit that. I just didn't think anything he did was all that special, it was more about the coaching and receivers from what I saw.

eznark

Banned
Wussle made a horrible read

B8z0jLiIYAMCtkV.jpg:large

Disagree there, kid just made an outstanding play. There are probably 15 receivers who are physical enough to come up with that ball.

Now, the call was bad and it shouldn't have come to it, but I don't think it was a terrible read. And portraying it as such certainly doesn't give Butler the credit he is due.

methodman

Banned
]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B8z0jLiIYAMCtkV.jpg:large

Disagree there, kid just made an outstanding play. There are probably 15 receivers who are physical enough to come up with that ball.

Now, the call was bad and it shouldn't have come to it, but I don't think it was a terrible read. And portraying it as such certainly doesn't give Butler the credit he is due.
I do think it was not a great or even good throw. He throws that on Lockette's left shoulder and it's probably a touchdown or an incompletion. Tried leading him and it cost them. Russell was awful on short passes all game, terrible playcall and terrible decision not to check to Marshawn

kmag

B8z0jLiIYAMCtkV.jpg:large

I hadn't actually realised the Pats were in Nickel. That makes the decision to throw even more mindboggling.

LevelNth

Banned

Disagree with you. Easy to read straight man, Butler is clearly in Wussle's cone of vision, knows he has to throw it a half yard inside the endzone to hit Lockette... the margin of error is astronomical.

I don't disagree Butler made a great play, but he did so to get the pick. A standard play gets a knock down on that pass 95 times out of 100.

You don't throw that ball. Ever.

ShaneB

Are you guys capable of doing anything but looking at raw numbers? What is the point of even discussing the game?

I watched the game, saw every snap and every play. There is more to great QB play than just launching up deep balls. Isn't that what Flacco does and gets shit on?

eznark

Banned
Just telling it like it is. If Rodgers put up those numbers in the same situation people would be lining up to suck his dick as the GOAT!

edit: and no friend, it was not a knock against you.

If Rodgers averaged under six yards an attempt I'd be terrified for his health and wondering what the fuck is going on and also raging about Cobb not getting the MVP.

Top Bottom