• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread 2015 |OT| All of our teams suck!

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Why don't Kas post in here about his loser team with the rest of us?

How come he don't want us man?

tumblr_m5g3gv4OUG1qm15teo9_r1_250.gif

zychi

Banned
Saints gaf, or someone who knows more about Pace, explain why in the world the Bears signed him over Ballard. Who has ties to Angelo and Andy Reid, both great scouting guys.

Mrbob

Saints gaf, or someone who knows more about Pace, explain why in the world the Bears signed him over Ballard. Who has ties to Angelo and Andy Reid, both great scouting guys.

Your favorite boy tweeted about the hire:

https://twitter.com/dan_bernstein/status/553307142225408001

From what I'm hearing on the radio Pace blew the team away in his interview. Plus the organization wanted fresh eyes in the building and not someone with past ties. No one really knows with any GM hire so we'll see how this goes.

zychi

Banned
Your favorite boy tweeted about the hire:

https://twitter.com/dan_bernstein/status/553307142225408001

From what I'm hearing on the radio Pace blew the team away in his interview. Plus the organization wanted fresh eyes in the building and not someone with past ties. No one really knows with any GM hire so we'll see how this goes.

Fresh eyes gave us Emery and Trestman last time. I don't understand why they're trying to pull a Theo Epstein with someone who has no actual experience. I don't like this hire at all, and the fact Bernstein likes it, makes me hate it even more.

Mrbob

A dumb hired search group gave the Bears Emery. Plus Emery was in the Bears system before he went to the Chiefs and then hired back as GM. The team wanted someone with no previous Bears ties.

Doesn't seem like this was the main reason the Bears hired Pace ( he interviewed better than Ballard ) but it was a concern.

What about Rocky Seto? He's been around Pete for a while now.

I think Norton has a better chance just because he seems to be getting a lot of love/attention last few years.

This means a reunion for Quinn + Percy and Breno! Seahawks South, and now Seahawks East!

We are everywhere! Ca Caw!

zychi

Banned
Emery was in the Bears system before he went to the Chiefs and then hired back as GM. The team wanted someone with no previous Bears ties. A dumb hired search group gave the Bears Emery.

Doesn't seem like this was the main reason the team hired Pace ( he interviewed better than Ballard ) but it was a concern.

The rumor going around now, is that Ballard didn't want Phillips anywhere near the actual football team, and that pissed Phillips off. So they went a different direction.

Basically they hired another Yes man.

zychi

Banned
What? Okay now that's like 4 different spots on Kyle rumors. Does he just tell everyone he going there?

I'd take a reunited Shanny, Cutler and Marshall. This Bears team is going to be a mess for another 3 years. Lets have some fun and just chuck the ball around.

Mrbob

The third comment says exactly what I was referring to:

@dan_bernstein With what budget? If they only give him $3M for head coach, for example, they effectively limit whom he can hire.

Isn't that just a user comment? Lets see what happens before being concerned. This hire seems more the Bears are breaking away from the previous establishment than everything staying the same. We won't know for certain though for months. I hope they didn't Bears this up. Upper management needs to get away from Pace now and let him do his job.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
For future reference, here's the Steelers' starters (off the top of my head) if next season started tomorrow. They were talking about it on the Terrible Podcast. They may be pretty secure in terms of not needing any particular position immediately.

QB - Ben
RB - Bell
FB - ? (Will Johnson, fa)
TE - Miller
WR1 - Brown
WR2 - Bryant
WR3 - Wheaton
LT - Beachum
LG - Foster
C - Pouncey
RG - DeCastro
RT - Gilbert - Adams

CB - Gay
CB - Allen
5B - ? (McCain, fa - Blake, rfa)
FS - Mitchell
SS - Thomas
LOLB - ? (Worilds, fa - Moats, fa)
Buck ILB - Timmons
Mac ILB - Shazier - Williams - Spence
ROLB - Jones
LDE - Tuitt
NT - McClendon - McCullers
RDE - Heyward

Just putting this down so the draft and free agency stuff that comes up can be kept track of.

Right now, the question in my mind is, if the Steelers can't find a stud olb and LeBeau "retires", do they run some 4-3? The current roster is better suited for it.

e - And yes, I just assumed that Troy retires.

zychi

Banned
Isn't that just a user comment? Lets see what happens before being concerned. This hire seems more the Bears are breaking away from the previous establishment than everything staying the same. We won't know for certain though for months. I hope they didn't Bears this up. Upper management needs to get away from Pace now and let him do his job.

15 years of Ted Phillips is enough. But no one ever blames him because he makes the team money, because idiot fans continue to show up to games in December when the season is done, and keep buying the merch for the team.

smh

Browns GAf I'll probably be sending out some PM's once I gather the info of what went down today, Just got home.

Guess my Manziel hatred was warranted eh?
I'm gonna say no, cause you acted like he killed your dog and stole your first born daughter all year.

squicken

I've been totally out ofr the loop for a couple of days. Schotty gone? Shanny gone? Loggains to STL seems really likely, and I wonder if they will try and trade for JFF

Fisher has spoken fondly of Loggains in the past, he liked JFF, has said he wants a QB competition next fall, and it would seem CLE might trade JFF

CLE thing is weird. I understand the front office wanting the coaches to play rookies. That's always the tension with every organization. Coaches want to play vets with no upside, but don't make mistakes. GMs want the coaches to coach up younger, more talented players to not make mistakes. Thia happens with every team, especially at QB. Really curious how much Haslam is involved. Look forward to any scoops that come out on that

squicken

Among other things, Shanahan and other offensive coaches wanted the Browns to sign a veteran quarterback such as Matt Schaub for depth, hoped that the Browns would draft a wide receiver when Josh Gordon was suspended for marijuana use and were dismayed when the team let promising receiver Charles Johnson get away. The Vikings signed Johnson off the Browns practice squad on Sept. 20, and he emerged as a starting receiver in Minnesota.

The Vikings averaged 24 points per game with Johnson in the starting lineup, and Vikings coordinator Norv Turner attributed the spike to Johnson, who caught 19 pass for 328 yards and two TDs in the final six outings. "It created some differences in how people defended us,'' he said. "I think we became a much more efficient offensive football team and put ourselves in position to win games." Turner said.

As for quarterback Johnny Manziel, he was not the primary reason Shanahan wanted out, a source said. Although Shanahan and Loggains both left with doubts about Manziel's ability to succeed, that was not the deciding factor for Shanahan. Moreso, it was the fact he didn't see eye to eye on personnel matters with general manager Ray Farmer and others.

We all saw the offensive issues coming when they didn't draft a WR. But Schoob? Why do Kyle and Gary love that loser?

Lance Zeirlein flat out says the Texans will have a new GM very, very soon. Rick Smith to get "promoted" so O'Brien can have his guy in the GM role

http://sheltonmedia.blogspot.com/2015/01/lance-zierlein-texans-will-have-new-gm.html

hmm

I got sick of the Texans b/c I thought Gary and Rick should've been fired after the 2009 season. Rick has been awful. I wonder if BoB looks to Pioli?

MechDX

We all saw the offensive issues coming when they didn't draft a WR. But Schoob? Why do Kyle and Gary love that loser?

hmm

I got sick of the Texans b/c I thought Gary and Rick should've been fired after the 2009 season. Rick has been awful. I wonder if BoB looks to Pioli?

I posted those rumors a while back the O'Brien and Gaine get along very well. I still think there will be pretty large roster churn this off season as well. I love accountability

Little OT but I really wish we would switch to red helmets:

B62NG67CQAEp26A.jpg:large

Just so badass.

For future reference, here's the Steelers' starters (off the top of my head) if next season started tomorrow. They were talking about it on the Terrible Podcast. They may be pretty secure in terms of not needing any particular position immediately.

QB - Ben
RB - Bell
FB - ? (Will Johnson, fa)
TE - Miller
WR1 - Brown
WR2 - Bryant
WR3 - Wheaton
LT - Beachum
LG - Foster
C - Pouncey
RG - DeCastro
RT - Gilbert - Adams

CB - Gay
CB - Allen
5B - ? (McCain, fa - Blake, rfa)
FS - Mitchell
SS - Thomas
LOLB - ? (Worilds, fa - Moats, fa)
Buck ILB - Timmons
Mac ILB - Shazier - Williams - Spence
ROLB - Jones
LDE - Tuitt
NT - McClendon - McCullers
RDE - Heyward

Just putting this down so the draft and free agency stuff that comes up can be kept track of.

Right now, the question in my mind is, if the Steelers can't find a stud olb and LeBeau "retires", do they run some 4-3? The current roster is better suited for it.

e - And yes, I just assumed that Troy retires.

Think Worilds comes back?

Jarnet87

Don't know much about Koetter but its shouldn't take much to do a better job then Arroyo did last season. I don't think the move reveals anything about taking Winston or Mariota. Reading up some stuff on Koetter he's been criticized for conservative playcalling in the past but he generally likes a vertical passing game.

Rewatching the Falcons game to watch Jarvis' snaps.

How Mitchell played with that groin injury I do not understand. Twice he went out on a play in this game after grabbing his crotch and both times he came back.

edit: also, Roddy White is finished. I remember thinking from Hard Knocks that he doesn't take his job seriously. Coasted on a ton of natural talent and now doesn't care to keep it going.

Syrinx

Don't know much about Koetter but its shouldn't take much to do a better job then Arroyo did last season. I don't think the move reveals anything about taking Winston or Mariota. Reading up some stuff on Koetter he's been criticized for conservative playcalling in the past but he generally likes a vertical passing game.

Yeah, it's hard to know how to feel when you know that whatever the hell you're getting is better than what you already had.

And it's hard to hold Arroyo so responsible since he was put in such an unenviable position, but purely in a vacuum he didn't do a good job and that vacuum is all that matters.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
Think Worilds comes back?

That's a tricky one. I think he wants to be a Steeler. I think the Steelers need outside linebackers. But, dammit, he just hasn't come on. He's not the long term solution and he sure isn't worth $9.75M/yr. I'm sure the team offers him a contract, but for how much and will he take it?

I actually think the team would be better served moving on. Bring back Harrison for one more year and draft the next project.

Top Bottom