• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread 2015 |OT| All of our teams suck!

#Bills source: "Ryan views EJ as step up at QB because he's not a turnover machine like Sanchez, Geno, Vick. Whaley sold that, Rex agreed."

setting the bar low, rex lol

sell EJ Manuel to me "well, he isn't sanchez, geno or vick" sold!

Bowser

The realization first struck Rex Ryan just past 10 o’clock Saturday morning.

He wanted to be the next Falcons head coach for a million reasons, but rumors and a cold silence from the people that he’d hit it off with just days earlier made it impossible for him to separate fact from fiction.

He thought he had the Atlanta job seven years ago before losing out.

F--- it, he thought now. He wasn’t going to be played for a fool again.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/f...cons-led-rex-ryan-bills-job-article-1.2074037

lolololololol fucking Failcons

MRSA

Banned
Its the end of the Peypey era, you can see that he's not in it anymore.

Also fuck Del Rio, but I rather have him over Sparano as HC.

LevelNth

Banned
I don't necessarily blame Elway for wanting to fire Fox, since he did put together an absurd all star team for the Broncos this year, and frankly it's embarrassing they couldn't even make the AFCC...

But they lost cause Peyton is done. He cannot play more than 10-12 games, and I can only imagine how much worse his body will get after yet another offseason + camp.

If he doesn't retire like he should, I will gladly watch him fizzle out next year like the idiot record-monger that he has become.

gutshot

So Mariota is starting to fall down some draft boards now as draft experts are questioning whether he isn't more of a system QB and not as great of a pro prospect. This is bad for most teams but of course is actually a huge positive for the Eagles. I'm starting to feel like we are a bad championship game plus a Teddy Bridgewater-esque pro day away from realistically being able to trade up for him.

#MariotaOrBust

So Mariota is starting to fall down some draft boards now as draft experts are questioning whether he isn't more of a system QB and not as great of a pro prospect. This is bad for most teams but of course is actually a huge positive for the Eagles. I'm starting to feel like we are a bad championship game plus a Teddy Bridgewater-esque pro day away from realistically being able to trade up for him.

#MariotaOrBust

One read system QB are not successful in the NFL so him falling isn't a surprise

One read system QB are not successful in the NFL so him falling isn't a surprise
He doesn't get out of the top 5. System or one read QB or not.

About as clean as they come off the field, college production is there and way too many QB needy teams to put any stock in his falling far. He has a big game in the national championship and its even more set, IMO.

Jarnet87

#MariotaOrBust

I don't get this whole he needs to be on the eagles to succeed. If he is the real deal and can make the transition to the NFL then he could be successful on any team. If he can't then he would suck on any team. I'm rooting for Ohio State tonight and for Mariota to have an awful game. Raise them red flags.

MRSA

Banned

#MariotaOrBust

Everybody knows he is Kap 2.0. He's been in a 1 read spread system since high school.

As sad as it is to say. Jameis is the best QB in the draft.

ShaneB

Good points on the latest ATN podcast about Dez's non catch and the sheer confusion on the ruling and what is and what isn't a catch, etc.

LJ11

Falcons probably had someone else in mind, not sure they necessarily blew it. Honestly though, that D needs a big overhaul and that's what he's good at, so if he doesn't turn around the D quick he'll get blasted. "Rex has a QB now and still can't win." His camp knows that too. Who knows what really went down. Mehta is a puppet.

Jarnet87

Everybody knows he is Kap 2.0. He's been in a 1 read spread system since high school.

Famous Jameis can anticipate throws and throw into windows instead of waiting for a WR to get open. That makes him better then 90% of incoming quarterbacks to the NFL. We all the know the most important man to analyse Jameis is the Hoge, the massive tie, the QB guru - Merril Hoge.

Falcons probably had someone else in mind, not sure they necessarily blew it. Honestly though, that D needs a big overhaul and that's what he's good at, so if he doesn't turn around the D quick he'll get blasted. "Rex has a QB now and still can't win." His camp knows that too. Who knows what really went down. Mehta is a puppet.
How do yo feel about the Ryan hire, LJ? I know you like Ryan as a defensive coach - what are the thoughts on Roman?

gutshot

He doesn't get out of the top 5. System or one read QB or not.

About as clean as they come off the field, college production is there and way too many QB needy teams to put any stock in his falling far. He has a big game in the national championship and its even more set, IMO.

Teddy Bridgewater was a consensus top 5 pick this time last year. He was drafted 32. A lot can happen between now and April 30.

Don't crush my dreams, man.

According to ESPN's Stats & Information, Manning was just 2-of-12 passing for 49 yards on pass attempts that traveled at least 15 yards and just 6-of-21 for 107 yards on passes that traveled more than 5 yards.

Holy shit, 6-21 on passes more than 5 yards? I knew it was bad, but it was even worse than I thought

You know, when do people start holding these colleges responsible for not preparing their players for the next level?

Didn't stop Bortles or Manziel from being drafted relatively high.

I haven't watch a lot of Mariota, but I've seen him go through some reads in the games I have watched. The offense he runs isn't his fault and it masks his strengths as well as his weaknesses. Similar to everyone shitting on Carr last year because of the offense he ran at FS, but he adjusted to a pro-style just fine. Mariota is smart and has a good head on his shoulders, I think he can make the jump. He has grown as a passer this year, where Winston is lazy and regressed, didn't put the work in and can't even get on the same page as his receivers in college against weak competition. That doesn't bode well for what he will do in the NFL imo.

MRSA

Banned
Kinda how I feel. I'm not high on Del Rio at all, but I'd definitely take him over Sparano

I still have a feeling that they'll be going after an offensive minded HC especially if Carr really was hand picked by Mark Davis. They'll need one to groom him into something better than 4 YPA. I really want Pep Hamilton but don't think it'll be likely.

Teddy Bridgewater was a consensus top 5 pick this time last year. He was drafted 32. A lot can happen between now and April 30.

Sure. Just stating my opinion. I think the teams at the top of this draft are more apt to grab Mariota. I can't fathom the Bucs going into next season with the shitfest they have at quarterback. Same for Whisenhunt and the Titans unless they really think they have something in either Mettenburger or Locker (doubtful).

There's always the possibility he tanks his workouts, etc or has a really bad game tonight. I find that possibility remote is all.

LJ11

How do yo feel about the Ryan hire, LJ? I know you like Ryan as a defensive coach - what are the thoughts on Roman?

I like Ryan, I've made no attempt to hide that over the last few years. Like that he develops D players, he always finds diamonds and puts them in good positions.

Not sure if Roman actually has the OC job. They did a good job hiding the QBs in SF the first couple of years, then they decided to unleash Kap and they went away from what they did. Niner fans can comment on Roman, I don't like ground and pound with a fullback, I want the box empty. Spread out to run, don't fill the box with TEs and fullbacks so I have extra defenders to deal with.

That Niners O was a throwback, and it worked. Added Pistol elements to keep their downhill run game + playaction, but they never meshed a good pass game out of their Gun Run game. I don't know what to think really, Roman went from being a pretty good OC, to a pariah.

MRSA

Banned
You know, when do people start holding these colleges responsible for not preparing their players for the next level?

When they start paying their players in currency other than unlimited hot women.

Didn't stop Bortles or Manziel from being drafted relatively high.

I haven't watch a lot of Mariota, but I've seen him go through some reads in the games I have watched. The offense he runs isn't his fault and it masks his strengths as well as his weaknesses. Similar to everyone shitting on Carr last year because of the offense he ran at FS, but he adjusted to a pro-style just fine. Mariota is smart and has a good head on his shoulders, I think he can make the jump. He has grown as a passer this year, where Winston is lazy and regressed, didn't put the work in and can't even get on the same page as his receivers in college against weak competition. That doesn't bode well for what he will do in the NFL imo.

Carr had experience in a pro style offense (1 year under Pat Hill) and his transition to a pro style offense has been okay, not pleasant. The guy is pretty much dead last in every passing statistics. I'm not a numbers guy but I think Carr can be groomed into a franchise QB but his reluctancy to go down the field is asinine; a lot of it has to do with none of his WRs are able to get seperation but fuck it chuck it deep just to keep the defense honest. Hard to have a running game when the defense knows you're gonna go underneath or check down every time.

Jarnet87

Carr had experience in a pro style offense (1 year under Pat Hill) and his transition to a pro style offense has been okay, not pleasant. The guy is pretty much dead last in every passing statistics. I'm not a numbers guy but I think Carr can be groomed into a franchise QB but his reluctancy to go down the field is asinine; a lot of it has to do with none of his WRs are able to get seperation but fuck it chuck it deep just to keep the defense honest. Hard to have a running game when the defense knows you're gonna go underneath or check down every time.

He's never gonna have those big open windows to throw in the NFL short of blown coverages. He's got to trust his decision making and anticipate throws rather then waiting for a man to come open and get lots of separation. This ain't college anymore. Mariota or Winston are gonna have to do the same thing in Tampa. Mike Evans and Vincent Jacksons IMO aren't the best route runners and don't create a lot of separation except in jump ball scenarios because of their size.

MRSA

Banned
He's never gonna have those big open windows to throw in the NFL short of blown coverages. He's got to trust his decision making and anticipate throws rather then waiting for a man to come open and get lots of separation. This ain't college anymore. Mariota or Winston are gonna have to do the same thing in Tampa. Mike Evans and Vincent Jacksons IMO aren't the best route runners and don't create a lot of separation except in jump ball scenarios because of their size.

Its apart of being an NFL rookie QB, Winston actually anticipates his WRs quite well. If it weren't for him being a lazy fuck, he'd be the clear cut #1 especially with him already in a pro style offense.

MechDX

Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter · 52s52 seconds ago
Broncos QB Peyton Manning played Sunday’s Divisional Playoff loss and the past month of the season with a torn right quad, per two sources.

Some Peyton news:

Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 2m2 minutes ago
Broncos QB Peyton Manning played Sunday’s Divisional Playoff loss and the past month of the season with a torn right quad, per two sources.

LJ11

Who formed this consensus though? Clearly it wasn't NFL teams.

Still think he was a top 15 pick at worst but this past draft was loaded. This class is kind of shit to be honest. Love the running backs, couple of DL, but nothing that really blows you away.

Kinda how I feel. I'm not high on Del Rio at all, but I'd definitely take him over Sparano

I still have a feeling that they'll be going after an offensive minded HC especially if Carr really was hand picked by Mark Davis. They'll need one to groom him into something better than 4 YPA. I really want Pep Hamilton but don't think it'll be likely.

That YPA is really a bullshit stat. On average his throws traveled through the air farther than 15 other starting QBs. His WRs were by far the worst the league, and it's really not even close.

That's not to say he was perfect or didn't make any mistakes, but he was a rookie and looked like a rookie, but he really had no help at all. And he threw it up quite a lot actually, but none of his guys could come down with it. I think if Streater would have been playing he would have had a much better year. And of course Olson and the run game didn't do him any favors.

As for Del Rio, I think you guys are being a little hard on him.

Rex, 46-50 2 playoff appearances

Del Rio, 68-71 2 playoff appearances with a shit roster

And as far as Carr's preference for coach, he really loves Sparano, and that's the biggest reason Sparano is still in consideration.

MRSA

Banned
Who formed this consensus though? Clearly it wasn't NFL teams.

Still think he was a top 15 pick at worst but this past draft was loaded. This class is kind of shit to be honest. Love the running backs, couple of DL, but nothing that really blows you away.

He was always a first rounder he just fell because of his inaccuracy at his pro day.

Tamanon

Banned
Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter · 52s52 seconds ago

Seems pretty dumb to do if it's going to make you an ineffective passer. Would've been better to sit and let Brock get reps/Peyton get healthier.

Jets..

Dan Graziano ‏@DanGrazianoESPN 4m4 minutes ago
Carolina defensive coordinator Sean McDermott will interview Wednesday with the Jets for their vacant head coach job.

More on Peyton:

Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 1m1 minute ago
Peyton Manning initially tore his right quad Dec. 14 in win over Chargers, per sources. MRI back in Denver confirmed tear.

LJ11

He was always a first rounder he just fell because of his inaccuracy at his pro day.

Pro days don't really matter dude. If you're going to drop a guy from top 5 to bottom of first because of a 1 hour or so workout you have issues. Don't buy that narrative. If he came in 25lbs overweight and just mailed it in, then you put more weight into it, but really pro days are close to worthless.

Edit: Just want to add, they're worthless for guys like Bridgewater. Can always help smaller school players and guys who don't get invited to combine/allstar games.

MRSA

Banned
Pro days don't really matter dude. If you're going to drop a guy from top 5 to bottom of first because of a 1 hour or so workout you have issues. Don't buy that narrative. If he came in 25lbs overweight and just mailed it in, then you put more weight into it, but really pro days are close to worthless.

He was missing almost every throw, like you said nobody really takes anything from a scripted pro day but if you're missing scripted throws that's gonna raise flags.

Enron

Banned
not surprised at the peyton news. Everyone is all HE'S DONE FINISHED this morning but if he were really finished, he wouldn't have lit it up for 3/4 of the regular season. Dunno if he's coming back, but if he does, he's still capable.

HERE COME THE PEYTON EXCUSES

This is Favre 2.0. Guy is doing everything possible to tarnish his legacy.

There are no excuses. If he knew he had this injury and decided to hide it along with the Broncos organization in order to keep playing, then he's every bit as culpable. Not that it was some big secret that something was wrong.

MRSA

Banned
That YPA is really a bullshit stat. On average his throws traveled through the air farther than 15 other starting QBs. His WRs were by far the worst the league, and it's really not even close.

That's not to say he was perfect or didn't make any mistakes, but he was a rookie and looked like a rookie, but he really had no help at all. And he threw it up quite a lot actually, but none of his guys could come down with it. I think if Streater would have been playing he would have had a much better year. And of course Olson and the run game didn't do him any favors.

And as far as Carr's preference for coach, he really loves Sparano, and that's the biggest reason Sparano is still in consideration.

His WRs sucked through and through, Streater would've helped but the guy was just reluctant to push the ball downfield unless he saw a blown coverage. Noodle arm Peypey was pushing the ball downfield yesterday because the D was taking away the underneath and screens. Carr wouldn't of done that.

Sparano has always been known as a player's coach, he's loved everywhere he goes. He allowed the Raiders to be blown out 52-0, that's just pathetic. Can't blame it on the defense if they're out on the field all day. Everyone blames Olson but its not like Sparano couldn't call plays (Lol Sparano as OC). If it really is between Sparano and Del Rio, Del Rio is head and shoulders above Sparano.

Raiders are so hard for Del Rio, they called him 5 minutes after the loss.

Interviewing tomorrow, probably will get the hire. Wouldn't have waited for him if Sparano was the guy.

Should be able to put together a good staff. Trestman OC and Mike Smith DC would be something.

Top Bottom