• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread 2015 |OT| All of our teams suck!

squicken

The Browns are rebranding to fit in with JFF taking over and leading them to the playoffs next year.

1000 999 years of prosperity in the Cleve!

Decided to check his IG to see if he has eased up on the fuckery and ...

10919686_4229339345213uo6q.jpg

MechDX

Vance Joseph, interviewing w/Broncos, would be top candidate for d coordinator on Gary Kubiak's staff. Kubiak to Denver remains very likely--LaCanfora

Do I know Kubes or what? I called Vance Joseph as DC earlier today

Broncos
ESPN's Ed Werder reports the Ravens "expect" OC Gary Kubiak to be named the Broncos' next head coach.
Kubiak is interviewing with the team on Sunday. Per Werder, coach John Harbaugh would be "understanding" if Kubiak went back on his word to remain in Baltimore. Harbaugh appears sympathetic to Denver being a special opportunity for Kubiak, who both played and coordinated in the rockies. Doug Marrone has reportedly canceled his Broncos interview, which is another sign GM John Elway is zeroing in on Kubiak as his man.
Source: Ed Werder on Twitter Jan 16 - 3:28 PM

Giants UFA's

Antrel Rolle, S - Gone, Giants will low ball him
Jason Pierre-Paul, DE - Signs long term. Could be tagged.
Walter Thurmond, CB - Resigns cheap. Giants like him.
Stevie Brown, S - Resigns cheap. 1 year, vet minimum
Jacquian Williams, OLB - Gone
Spencer Paysinger, OLB - Gone
Henry Hynoski, FB - Resigns cheap
Quintin Demps, S - Gone
Jerrel Jernigan, WR - Resigns cheap. Cruz insurance, slot receiver.
James Brewer, G - Gone
John Jerry, G - Resigns cheap. Good depth
Zack Bowman, CB - Gone
Mark Herzlich, ILB - Resigns cheap. Good depth, good ST'er.

Draxal

Giants UFA's

Jacquian Williams, OLB - Gone
Spencer Paysinger, OLB - Gone
Mark Herzlich, ILB - Resigns cheap. Good depth, good ST'er.

I wouldn't call Herzlich good depth. I think Williams has the most upside (he's the one that can benefit the most from Spags imho).

But of those I'd retain Paysinger.

MechDX

Texans Free Agents:

1. Kareem Jackson (CB)--#2 priority to sign behind mallet. Will probably get crazy money from someone. (Raiders? Eagles?) Too many CB hungry teams out there and Kareem is only 25 and is solid.
2. Brooks Reed (OLB)--Gone. Good at holding the edge, terrible pass rusher
3. Ryan Pickett (NT)--Played well but he is 36. Louis Nix III should be healthy
4. Tim Jamison (DE)--No idea. Stay on minimum deal?
5. Danieal Manning (S)--Will resign for small deal. older and loves playing here
6. Kendrick Lewis (S)--Surprising addition played pretty damn good. Knows Crennel's system and ran the defense.
7. Ryan Mallett (QB)--#1 priority. Sign a deal like McCowns with heavy incentives.
8. Akeem Dent (ILB)--up and down all year. Probably gone
9. Jerrell Powe (NT)--Meh. preseason "superstar" then vanished.
10. Jeff Tarpinian (ILB)--minimum deal for his special teams play
11. Derek Newton (RT)--rated high all year by PFF. Improved leaps and bounds from last season. if they don't sign will be a draft priority

Veterans with cut possibilities:

Johnathan Joseph CB: If Kareem resigns I think he is gone. if not he stays and they try to restructure.
Chris Myers C: Undersized. great in ZBS but when Texans ran any type of power offense he was manhandled by bigger NT's. With Kubes likely in Denver now I see a potential landing spot.
Andre Johnson WR: the elephant in the room that no one wants to see. just is no longer WR #1 and is not worth $16 million next year. Best guess: is asked to take a pay cut but if he refuses? I have no idea what will happen. owner loves him and wants him to retire a Texan. On the open market what kind of money does he honestly get? 2-3 million a year on a 2 year deal?

I wouldn't call Herzlich good depth. I think Williams has the most upside (he's the one that can benefit the most from Spags imho).

But of those I'd retain Paysinger.
He played well at OLB to close the season. Disagree. Good run support at least. No business being in the middle. His main contribution is on special teams anyways which is why I see him staying.

Paysinger? Ugh. Hot garbage. What are we wasting resources on him for again? Never seen a linebacker diagnose a play as slowly as Paysinger and Williams is an injury prone mess. Tired of these guys taking up roster spots.

Same goes for Beason at this point. Good player. Good leader but if you're not on the field fuck off. Especially for 7 million worth of cap space. Keep McClain around on the cheap for depth if you want. The rest of the LB'ing corp needs gutted.

Kennard is the only one that's truly worth keeping at this point.

Draxal

He played well at OLB to close the season. Disagree. Good run support at least. No business being in the middle. His main contribution is on special teams anyways which is why I see him staying.

Paysinger? Ugh. Hot garbage. What are we wasting resources on him for again? Never seen a linebacker diagnose a play as slowly as Paysinger and Williams is an injury prone mess. Tired of these guys taking up roster spots.

Same goes for Beason at this point. Good player. Good leader but if you're not on the field fuck off. Especially for 7 million worth of cap space. Keep McClain around on the cheap for depth if you want. The rest of the LB'ing corp needs gutted.

Kennard is the only one that's truly worth keeping at this point.

Honestly, I'd rather get rid of all three, but Williams has shown much more than the other two in the past.

I wonder how much a new dc would improve lb play.

I wonder how much a new dc would improve lb play.

Belichik in his Giants days wouldn't be able to do shit with this group. Just being real.

We don't need studs at the position to be successful. Slightly average would be an upgrade for 75% of our line backing corp.

We'd have our Antonio Pierce if Beason could stay healthy but are the Giants going to bank on that? I see LB as being an area the team will focus on in FA along with OL depth. Would love to take a stab at prying Bruce Carter away from the Cowboys to play in the middle. I don't think he'd be pricey at all.

Maybe we can bring Phillip Dillard back? :)

Draxal

Belichik in his Giants days wouldn't be able to do shit with this group. Just being real.

We don't need studs at the position to be successful. Slightly average would be an upgrade for 75% of our line backing corp.

We'd have our Antonio Pierce if Beason could stay healthy but are the Giants going to bank on that? I see LB as being an area the team will focus on in FA along with OL depth. Would love to take a stab at prying Bruce Carter away from the Cowboys to play in the middle. I don't think he'd be pricey at all.

Maybe we can bring Phillip Dillard back? :)

We don't need studs, but I think a defence that requires brain power and Jacquian Williams isn't the best fit. Petrication by analsyis if you will.

ALmost as bad as Pepper and Carl in Rod Rust's D. Dillard was a disaster pick because picking up a mlb that played behind Suh makes it impossible to analyze him.

I remember my theory years ago was that Reese just didn't draft players that suited Fewell, I'm just praying that's the case.

gutshot

Texans Free Agents:

1. Kareem Jackson (CB)--#2 priority to sign behind mallet. Will probably get crazy money from someone. (Raiders? Eagles?) Too many CB hungry teams out there and Kareem is only 25 and is solid.
5. Danieal Manning (S)--Will resign for small deal. older and loves playing here
6. Kendrick Lewis (S)--Surprising addition played pretty damn good. Knows Crennel's system and ran the defense.
7. Ryan Mallett (QB)--#1 priority. Sign a deal like McCowns with heavy incentives.
11. Derek Newton (RT)--rated high all year by PFF. Improved leaps and bounds from last season. if they don't sign will be a draft priority

Johnathan Joseph CB: If Kareem resigns I think he is gone. if not he stays and they try to restructure.
Chris Myers C: Undersized. great in ZBS but when Texans ran any type of power offense he was manhandled by bigger NT's. With Kubes likely in Denver now I see a potential landing spot.
Andre Johnson WR: the elephant in the room that no one wants to see. just is no longer WR #1 and is not worth $16 million next year. Best guess: is asked to take a pay cut but if he refuses? I have no idea what will happen. owner loves him and wants him to retire a Texan. On the open market what kind of money does he honestly get? 2-3 million a year on a 2 year deal?

So which of these guys are we going to sign this year? I wouldn't mind either one of those corners.

JCizzle

Saban trying to pawn off his shit to San Fran

We're open for business! I want the worst that all levels of football can offer! Next year needs to be as shitty as possible to get Jed to fire Baalke and start over. I'm so fucking sick of that Parcells sniffing shithead that I'll take 0-16 to make it happen. Walsh's dead body could do a better job managing this team than he is.

We're open for business! I want the worst that all levels of football can offer! Next year needs to be as shitty as possible to get Jed to fire Baalke and start over. I'm so fucking sick of that Parcells sniffing shithead that I'll take 0-16 to make it happen. Walsh's dead body could do a better job managing this team than he is.

but dont you get it? even with baalke gone, york is still there. york will just hire another one of his cronies. this is our future!

Vyer

Texans Free Agents:

Kareem's come a long way.

Newton though...he was so fucking terrible prior to this year I'm paranoid this season was some sort of fluke.

MechDX

Kareem's come a long way.

Newton though...he was so fucking terrible prior to this year I'm paranoid this season was some sort of fluke.

Kareem was Texans fans whooping boy his first couple years. Then he finally learned to turn his head and avoid all the dumb PI calls. Love his physicality at CB as well that's

I like to think Newtons emergence has to do with O'Briens coaching ability and his expectations of the same from his staff

I really wanted the Bears to hire Todd Bowles. I really loved what he'd done with Arizona's defense and he had all the qualities I wanted in the next Bears coach. When it became obvious Fox was on the run to Chicago, I was disappointed. He's such a safe, vanilla choice. It was impossible to get excited for him. Now that it's official, I guess I'm okay with it. Fox will bring competence, discipline and certainty to a team that's sorely lacked those qualities. He's not the hot name, but he will get the team back in order. After the complete disgrace of the Trestman era, I think that's more than enough reason to be content the hire.

I don't get the Bears hire.

Fox is a good enough coach but they still have Cutler and an aging defense. No amount of good coaching can turn that sinking ship around. You have to scuttle and rebuild.

Top Bottom