• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread 2015 |OT| All of our teams suck!

I'm really starting to wonder if McCarthy I'd a byproduct of Brett Favre and Aaron Rodgers at this point. McCarthy makes a lot of questionable decisions that he gets bailed out on because he's had hall of fame quarterbacks his entire head coaching career. I still say McCarthy's play calling cost Green Bay a Super Bowl birth back in 07 against the Giants and again here against the Hawks.

It was refreshing as fuck to hear Aaron pretty much call out McCarthy for not trying to win the game.
He is very questionable on game day.

I do think he's gotten better, but you can't completely fix stupid. He loses his mind on the sidelines in some situations rather than just playing the down-distance-clock.

Hopefully (1) they keep everything intact, (2) regroup, (3) get bigger on defense, (4) Rodgers beats McCarthy over the head with this in every vaguely similar situation over the next 5 years.

JABEE

Pretty much. And he can't see into the future that they were going to fuck up the onside kick and the 2pt conversion.

Still, there was plenty of time left in a 16-7 game. I can understand being that cautious when the game is over, but he had the space to run free with the ball. There was no one close to him waiting to tackle him.

More than 5 minutes left, 9 point game. There's no reason to be thinking about the clock on an interception. You have to score if you can. I don't want my RB or WR sliding after picking up a first down. Safeties should be able to handle the ball and make a play in that situation.

Sephzilla

He is very questionable on game day.

I do think he's gotten better, but you can't completely fix stupid. He loses his mind on the sidelines in some situations rather than just playing the down-distance-clock.

Hopefully (1) they keep everything intact, (2) regroup, (3) get bigger on defense, (4) Rodgers beats McCarthy over the head with this in every vaguely similar situation over the next 5 years.
McCarthy has always been terrible at clock management and challenges as well. He was 0 for the season challenging this year until the Dez play.

I think McCarthy is also slow at calling plays too. It sure seems like Rodgers is always getting to the line with only 10 seconds left to hike.

rokkerkory

Woulda been a better game if Cowboys played the Hawks.

But damn, you don't deserve to be in the SB if you are up 16-0 at halftime and lose the game.

Maybe it's time Aaron pulls a Manning and just takes control of the offense and play calling.

I don't know. I still have a knot in my stomach over how this game ended. Next year we just have to unleash Janis on the world.

Sephzilla

Still, there was plenty of time left in a 16-7 game. I can understand being that cautious when the game is over, but he had the space to run free with the ball. There was no one close to him waiting to tackle him.

More than 5 minutes left, 9 point game. There's no reason to be thinking about the clock on an interception. You have to score if you can. I don't want my RB or WR sliding after picking up a first down. Safeties should be able to handle the ball and make a play in that situation.

I still think he made the right call sliding there. Packers were up 2 scores with 5 minutes left in the game. They were pretty much one first down away from being able to milk the clock away to the point where a Seattle comeback wouldn't have been realistically possible.

It was a mistake no doubt, but it was a much smaller mistake then all the other fuckery. I would put it as a much smaller mistake than those early FG, miss capitalization of the turnovers, conservative play calling on offense, conservative play calling on defense, the onside kick, the two point conversion, and the terrible defense in OT.

So yea mistake, but small mistake in comparison to everything else.

McCarthy has always been terrible at clock management and challenges as well. He was 0 for the season challenging this year until the Dez play.

I think McCarthy is also slow at calling plays too. It sure seems like Rodgers is always getting to the line with only 10 seconds left to hike.

"Brandon, just like anything, you get into one of those critical spots, it is important for everybody to do their job," Packers coach Mike McCarthy said. "Unfortunately that wasn't the case on that play. And that's the result of it."

Something alarms me why is the coach putting the blame on the player like that. There are other reasons as well that hail Mary 2 pt conversion was big fuck up as well.

Sephzilla

Something alarms me why is the coach putting the blame on the player like that. There are other reasons as well that hail Mary 2 pt conversion was big fuck up as well.
The 2 pt conversion was simply the defense finally catching up to McCarthy's incompetence level.

I don't like him pointing a finger at one player for one play like that at all when there were tons of fuck ups leading up to it, a lot of which end up pointing back to McCarthy.

JABEE

It was a mistake no doubt, but it was a much smaller mistake then all the other fuckery. I would put it as a much smaller mistake than those early FG, miss capitalization of the turnovers, conservative play calling on offense, conservative play calling on defense, the onside kick, the two point conversion, and the terrible defense in OT.

So yea mistake, but small mistake in comparison to everything else.

You're right about that.

The 2 pt conversion was simply the defense finally catching up to McCarthy's incompetence level.

I don't like him pointing a finger at one player for one play like that at all when there were tons of fuck ups leading up to it, a lot of which end up pointing back to McCarthy.

I keep coming back to our first scoring drive. Taking 3 instead of going for it with only inches to go. Set the tone for the entire game. Then doing the same exact thing on the fumble.

Anyways, were stuck with him for another season I would think. Is there anyone worth a damn at OC available right now?

What's to hate about the SB? GB loses with a Lions-esque implosion, Tom Brady courageously leads a decent team back to the promised land, Russell Wilson waving the #BlackExcellence flag for us, not having to see Andrew Luck's ragged beard on my television...

I'm hyped. Should be a decent game but I really think Seattle will stomp NE. Pressure Brady effectively and it all crumbles.

Sephzilla

I keep coming back to our first scoring drive. Taking 3 instead of going for it with only inches to go. Set the tone for the entire game. Then doing the same exact thing on the fumble.

Anyways, were stuck with him for another season I would think. Is there anyone worth a damn at OC available right now?
I was okay with the first field goal, but the second one? Hell no. You don't get a gift like that and only settle for 3 points. You give the ball to the MVP and tell him to get 6. Even if you don't get it then Seattle is pinned at the one and you could get a safety

KaYotiX

Banned
5 turnovers and the Packers got what, 9 points? Utterly pathetic

Agree, I also think a 100% Rodgers would of destroyed Seattle.

So many plays where he could of run without a bum calf. Just icing on the cake to a perfect storm ending.

Hopefully next year they come out and do what they should of done this year. Oh well..... Least we made it to the NFC championship game,nobody expected green bay to even come close to winning. I guess I'll take that and hold on to it lol

:(

What's to hate about the SB? GB loses with a Lions-esque implosion, Tom Brady courageously leads a decent team back to the promised land, Russell Wilson waving the #BlackExcellence flag for us, not having to see Andrew Luck's ragged beard on my television...

I'm hyped. Should be a decent game but I really think Seattle will stomp NE. Pressure Brady effectively and it all crumbles.

But if the Seahawks d-line shows up like they did in the first half of that Packers game, its gonna be a long day for the hawks.

And unlike McCarthy, the Pats aren't scarred to run it up on ya as much they want.

Sephzilla

I'm having massive deja vu to the 2007 NFC Championship game. People got on McCarthy's play calling there too (like Ryan Grant only getting 12 carries) and McCarthy delivered the same "no regrets" shit.

Fucking own up to your fuck up, man.

I think McCarthy won't be held accountable for this game at all though. Most Packers fans still pretend that he's Lombardi 2.0

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
B7r3xWZCEAAmERo.png

This was in the sky over Albuquerque today. While I don't wish to die just yet, our new alien overlords have excellent timing and have saved us from a terrible superbowl.

Dude doesn't give a fuck and who can blame him? His teammates probably hate him, the fans definitely hate him, and yet if he's punished for it he'll still have a bunch of people saying B-B-B-B-B-B-UT IT'S NOT HIS FAULT, and if they don't punish him for it he doesn't learn shit and this is the furthest he gets the rest of his career. Dude's in a no win AND no lose situation.

Sephzilla

I want the Patriots to win for one reason only. I want them to fucking blow out the Hawks just so the Packers fans see what happens when an aggressive coach goes for the win.

watershed

Banned
I am rooting for Hawks but man... I don't think they have a good chance against the Pats.

I predict a 31-17 rout

Based on what? The Seahawks typically play great playoff football. Today was as bad as ever in this era and we still won. There's no reason to expect us to come out this flat again.

remember when the Packers and Seahawks played in that NFCCG?

We want the ball and we are going to score. Fucking Matt had to open his big mouth.

I totally even congratulated you and JNA after the 4th Russell pick. I was hoping maybe just maybe some miracle reverse jinx would happen, and it really did. LMAO..... I'm sorry.

I wonder how John Fox is going to tackle his new HC job in Chicago? Probably keep Cutler. Hmmm.

I hope he spends the offseason fixing the defense. The DE situation is abysmal. The linebackers embarrassing. The safety position a dumpster fire. They need to throw everything they've got at fixing that unit. It's been a millstone around the team's neck for two years now. It's time to get that side of the ball in order. If they have any treasure left, funnel it into the offensive line. After a season of injuries, aging and regression, they need an injection of youth and talent.

Sephzilla

Reporter: "Hey Mike, your team choked away a 12 point lead in under 5 minutes and your season is now over. Any thoughts?"

McCarthy: "No regrets, we played a great game"

Your first regret should be losing the game you dumbass. Saying you have no regrets after a choke job like that is either a lie or stupidity.

I worry that Rodgers will never see another Super Bowl if the coaching staff has this mindset.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Reporter: "Hey Mike, your team choked away a 12 point lead in under 5 minutes and your season is now over. Any thoughts?"

McCarthy: "No regrets, we played a great game"

Your first regret should be losing the game you dumbass. Saying you have no regrets after a choke job like that is either a lie or stupidity.

I worry that Rodgers will never see another Super Bowl of the coaching staff has this mindset.

They definitely didn't play no regrets style football.

The Seahawks did, and they won. The Ravens/Cowboys did last week and lost.

Top Bottom