• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread 2015 |OT| All of our teams suck!

gutshot

@Zberm said:
Week of draft, Ed Marynowitz texted HaHa Clinton-Dix a pic of article about Eagles' interest. Clinton-Dix responded: "Come get me, please!"

Oh what could have been...

I didn't even know this but the Eagles had a shot at Clinton-Dix but they didn't want to give up a 3rd to move up two spots. If that was Howie's doing, I have to say I'm glad he's gone http://www.phillymag.com/birds247/2015/01/19/eagles-wake-call-clinton-dix-six/

Clinton-Dix was still available when Arizona -- holding the 20th pick -- went on the clock. Receiver Brandin Cooks was, too. Those were the only two of the Eagles' targeted six still remaining. (Most agree that the desirable six were Cooks, Clinton-Dix, Anthony Barr, Odell Beckham, Jr., Kyle Fuller and C.J. Mosley). To ensure they landed one of them, the Eagles would have to part with a third-round pick to move into the Cardinals' spot. Instead, they stood pat. The Saints offered their third to get from 27 to 20 and grabbed Cooks. Green Bay followed by taking Clinton-Dix. And the Eagles went to Plan B, which included trading back and selecting Marcus Smith.

I expect the Eagles will be more aggressive in acquiring the guys they like in this year's draft.

When is Pagano getting fired?

As long as Andy Luck keeps dragging this team to playoff wins every season? Probably never.

Colts are in an interesting place. They're obviously talent deficient at key positions, but with Luck's megadeal upcoming, I don't know if they are going to be in position to remedy them anytime soon.

Sephzilla

I'm still shook over the Packer game, friends.

I'll probably have a big rant post coming soon in order to get everything off of my chest at once and hopefully be done with it.

seaaa.0.gif

Sorry what were we talking about?

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 2m2 minutes ago
The #Rams have requested permission to speak with #Colts special assistant Rob Chudzinski for their OC opening, source said.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Wish I could just fast forward the 2 weeks. Can't remember a SB I cared less about outside of maybe Patriots - Giants. Offseason is almost here!

squicken

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 2m2 minutes ago
The #Rams have requested permission to speak with #Colts special assistant Rob Chudzinski for their OC opening, source said.

Would be an awesome hire, but Fisher might be in his last year and team could be moving. Not a lot of stability in that job

squicken

What happened to you this season Squick? You got demoted to special guest star instead of regular cast member.

Worst year of football I can recall. Bradford down in preseason ended the Rams year, Aggies and Oklahoma both sucked, and it was clear that the Pats and Chickens were the top two teams.

I'm just a Colts lifelong but even then it was all so fait accompli. They aren't ever getting over the hump until they can at least somewhat run the ball and figure out good offenses. Thoroughly embarrassed by NE and Pittsburgh. Lynch would have rushed for 300 yards

I'll be more engaged in the offseason. Should be good drama around FA and all the teams w/o QBs

MechDX

MegaWatt: Texans' J.J. Watt Lights Up NFL On and Off Field

It's been a tough year for the NFL, as public trust in players has suffered. But J.J. Watt, the most intimidating defensive lineman in the league, has scored big off the field.

With 20 sacks for the Houston Texans this season — not to mention five touchdowns — Watt is one of the handful of players ever voted an All-Star at two positions simultaneously — first-team All-Pro at defensive end and second-team All-Pro at defensive tackle. But it's with his unexpected acts of kindness off the field that he makes his biggest impact: from surprising a young boy battling leukemia to raising millions through his charitable foundation to saluting service members after every tackle to sending pizzas and a thank-you to every police and fire station in Houston.

"When you're in the National Football League and you get this window where all eyes are on you, you can use that," said Watt, who's garnering serious consideration for the league's Most Valuable Player award at the age of just 25. "You can use that platform for good."

In a day of multimillion-dollar sports contracts and off-the-field arrests, Watt is a big outlier, said Peter King, who covers the NFL for Sports Illustrated. "What I think we have too seldom in sports today is a guy whose performance off the field matches his greatness on the field," King said.

"There's no greater feeling in the world than when you can put a smile on somebody's face just by walking into a room," Watt said. "It's unbelievable. And if I have that power, who am I to waste it, you know?"

The legend of Watt grows!

Draxal

Worst year of football I can recall. Bradford down in preseason ended the Rams year, Aggies and Oklahoma both sucked, and it was clear that the Pats and Chickens were the top two teams.

I'm just a Colts lifelong but even then it was all so fait accompli. They aren't ever getting over the hump until they can at least somewhat run the ball and figure out good offenses. Thoroughly embarrassed by NE and Pittsburgh. Lynch would have rushed for 300 yards

I'll be more engaged in the offseason. Should be good drama around FA and all the teams w/o QBs

You should of watched the Buckeyes this season, I hate them since they were in my division but they were such a joy to watch.

MechDX

Come home squicken.

102914-bill-texans-600.jpg

We have a real coach finally. wipestear...

Schefter said:
Jets’ deal with OC Chan Gailey has not gotten done, and there are questions as to whether it will, leaving Gailey and Jets’ futures uncertain. “Everybody made it seem like a done deal – everybody except me,” Gailey said Monday. Three other teams have talked to Gailey about joining their staff and he is contemplating whether to do it, he said. He only wants to coach with the right team in the right situation. But those reports of Gailey joining the Jets were premature and Gailey said the two sides are at a crossroads, “but nothing’s happened yet.”

Bessy67

I think the only consolation is that 2007 felt worse. Uncertainty with the end of the Favre era looming and all.
Eh, it still feels pretty terrible. I just don't see the Packers making any significant moves in the offseason and I just don't see the Packers getting back to the Super Bowl with their current roster and coaching staff. I realize I'm probably being overly pessimistic (they did just make the NFC champoinship game) but it really feels like we're set up to squander yet another year of Rodgers' career.

Sephzilla

I think the only consolation is that 2007 felt worse. Uncertainty with the end of the Favre era looming and all.

Funny thing is I actually blamed McCarthy's play calling and general coaching for that game too. Ryan Grant was the hottest running back in the league going into that game and only got 12 carries in a sub-zero game. Also, no defensive adjustments for Plaxico. I'm struggling to think of which game stings worse - NFC Title Game vs The Giants or yesterdays Seahawks game. In both scenarios I legit think the Packers could have beaten the Patriots in that Super Bowl.

Eh, it still feels pretty terrible. I just don't see the Packers making any significant moves in the offseason and I just don't see the Packers getting back to the Super Bowl with their current roster and coaching staff. I realize I'm probably being overly pessimistic (they did just make the NFC champoinship game) but it really feels like we're set up to squander yet another year of Rodgers' career.

This is going to be something that I think starts coming into play. Rodgers is eventually going to get frustrated because he should honestly have at least a second ring by now.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
This one felt worse for me. 2007 was bad, don't get me wrong, but during the game it never felt like the Packers were going to win. Felt that way for a lot of this one. That last pick Favre threw was absolutely brutal and all but I don't know. This is the worst I remember.

Bessy67

This is going to be something that I think starts coming into play. Rodgers is eventually going to get frustrated because he should honestly have at least a second ring by now.
Again though, this is nothing new for the Packers. We've had Hall of Fame caliber quarterbacks for the past 2 decades and have 2 Super Bowls to show for it.

Sephzilla

Again though, this is nothing new for the Packers. We've had Hall of Fame caliber quarterbacks for the past 2 decades and have 2 Super Bowls to show for it.

It's really upsetting when you put it into that kind of perspective.

You could make a legit case that Favre should have had a shot at a few more rings. The year they lost to the Eagles (4th and forever play) they were a Super Bowl level team that year. And I think the Packers team that lost to the Giants in the NFC Championship could have knocked off the undefeated Patriots as well.

Rodgers was on a 15-1 team that got one-and-done'd in the playoffs and would be in the Super Bowl this year had his coach not turned yellow.

RBH

With the news that Kyle Shanahan is heading to Atlanta, the Cleveland Browns will now be hiring their sixth offensive coordinator in six years -- going back to Brian Daboll in 2010, then coach Pat Shurmur doing double-duty in 2011, Brad Childress in 2012, Norv Turner in 2013, Kyle Shanahan in 2014 and the new hire for 2015.

The new hire will be the Browns' 13th offensive coordinator in 17 seasons.
QN4pNMB.png

Sephzilla

I'm sure Rodgers is going to be more eager to get back to the Super Bowl now more than ever. He's 31 and even though he's in his prime now, it's not going to last forever and he wont be able to carry the team on his back all the time.

Even though Rodgers has constantly exceeded my expectations ever since he took over for Favre, I'm not going to expect him to have a prime that lasts as long as Favre's prime seemed to last.

Top Bottom