• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread 2015 |OT| All of our teams suck!

ShaneB

I wonder how much longer small hands is locked in to his deal.

Just had to refresh about the details..

"Alex Smith signed a 4 year / $68,000,000 contract with the Kansas City Chiefs, including a $18,000,000 signing bonus, $45,000,000 guaranteed, and an annual average salary of $17,000,000."

So 2 years really.

I actually made that comment when I did that list of the Top 20. If he does fall, I have to believe Andy Reid would jump at the chance to get him in Kansas City. Smith isn't a long term solution there and Andy can get his QB's to play.

Yeah, I saw your list and wasn't sure what you exactly meant when I first saw it since you weren't quoting anything specific, and realized what you meant after I posted.

Nick Marshall should of just sad he'll play any position a team drafts him to play. Wether that be Cb, Qb, kicker for the Browns, or whatever.

2015 Draft Top 20:

1. Bucaneers
2. Titans
3. Jaguars
4. Raiders
5. Washington - Gruden/Griffin is a mess
6. Jets
7. Bears
8. Falcons
9. Giants
10. Rams
11. Vikings
12. Browns
13. Saints
14. Dolphins
15. Niners
16. Texans
17. Chargers
18. Chiefs - Could even make the argument Reid would give him a look!
19. Browns

The highlighted are teams that are QB needy and could fundamentally look to take Marcus. Add in the fact that the entirety of the NFL will know that Chip will want him will put these teams in a position of leverage to get as much out of the Eagles as possible. Never underestimate the desperation for a QB in a QB driven league first of all and the scenario that it wouldn't cost the Eagles "that much" to move up is laughable.

As Ram fan, I want Hundley over Super Mariota.

I just wonder what FA talent will be there after franchising to fix the line. Stud RT's like MacKenzie just don't hit the free market that often.
I don't think they are looking to bring in a ton of free agents this season. I think they'll get a long term deal done with JPP. There's some thought they'll try to get Prince wrapped up this offseason as well but I don't buy it. They'll let him play out 2015 and see if he can stay healthy and continue his play level.

I think they're going to look for maybe one or two pieces at most in terms of real money. A quality tackle/guard may make sense if they don't want to go into the draft feeling chained to an offensive lineman with that 9th pick. Same for the linebacker position but then I don't know what's going to be out there in terms of quality linebackers in free agency.

h1nch

Adam Schefter said:
Bears considering handful of OC candidates, including Charlie Weis, SF's Geep Chryst, DET's Jim Bob Cooter, DEN's Adam Gase. Weis intriguing

Please for the love of god let the Bears hire Jim Bob Cooter as their OC. I will never get tired of saying that name.

Some Saints news:

Mike Triplett ‏@MikeTriplett 3m3 minutes ago
Longtime #Saints college scouting director Rick Reiprish has been let go, he said. GM Mickey Loomis told him today. Said he was surprised.

Draxal

I don't think they are looking to bring in a ton of free agents this season. I think they'll get a long term deal done with JPP. There's some thought they'll try to get Prince wrapped up this offseason as well but I don't buy it. They'll let him play out 2015 and see if he can stay healthy and continue his play level.

I think they're going to look for maybe one or two pieces at most in terms of real money. A quality tackle/guard may make sense if they don't want to go into the draft feeling chained to an offensive lineman with that 9th pick. Same for the linebacker position but then I don't know what's going to be out there in terms of quality linebackers in free agency.

Did you see that post by Kwall on BBI about Ron Parker about the Chiefs? He sold me on that one (and yes I'd love McCourty just like BigAT, but it isn't happening).

Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 2m2 minutes ago
Ravens hired former Bears HC Marc Trestman as OC, per source.

From Cutler to Flacco.

Trestman, do your OC thing.

Trestman. Why, God? Why?

On another completely unrelated note, the following people can go fuck themselves:

Trestman
The owner
The staff
Everyone on the roster but Flacco and Tyrod
Everyone else on the championship team but Ayanbadejo
You for posting this
Vio-Lence, Noodle, and Nialrot for quoting it
BLarry for not having enough faith to prevent this
Especially Mech
But especially Bart
And finally and mostly myself

3vKJqc7.gif

Hunter S.

Worst thing about Kubiak is he keeps talking like a Texan. We say "you guys" in Denver not that "you all" crap.

Before he was even introduced at his news conference, Broncos head coach Gary Kubiak has finished setting the offensive side of his coaching staff.

It helped that he already had quality coaches in place.

The Broncos will retain receivers coach Tyke Tolbert, running backs coach Eric Studesville, strength and conditioning coach Luke Richesson and quarterbacks coach Greg Knapp, according to an NFL source.

Tight ends coach Clancy Barone will shift to offensive line coach. Kubiak also is bringing two assistants with him from the Baltimore Ravens — Rick Dennison and Brian Pariani. Dennison will become the Broncos' offensive coordinator and Pariani the tights end coach.

2015 Draft Top 20:

1. Bucaneers
2. Titans
3. Jaguars
4. Raiders
5. Washington - Gruden/Griffin is a mess
6. Jets
7. Bears
8. Falcons
9. Giants
10. Rams
11. Vikings
12. Browns
13. Saints
14. Dolphins
15. Niners
16. Texans
17. Chargers
18. Chiefs - Could even make the argument Reid would give him a look!
19. Browns

The highlighted are teams that are QB needy and could fundamentally look to take Marcus. Add in the fact that the entirety of the NFL will know that Chip will want him will put these teams in a position of leverage to get as much out of the Eagles as possible. Never underestimate the desperation for a QB in a QB driven league first of all and the scenario that it wouldn't cost the Eagles "that much" to move up is laughable.

To move up to 4 with the Raiders? It's not laughable at all, Reggie is nothing if not practical and we still have lots of holes to fill. To me it's laughable to think the Raiders would get anything close to a RG3 like deal, but we will see what happens.

But we aren't in the market for a QB, therefore the value isn't there for us. With Williams gone, I don't see any player we would covet that much not to trade down. (Of course that could change 3 months from now.)

White I wasn't familiar with as a WR going that high. I've been really busy this year and haven't had half the time I did last year. I'm just going by very early talk and the few guys I've looked at. I don't claim to be any expert, but I think it's a pipe dream to think we're gonna get a blockbuster trade offer for Mariota or for trading down in general. Eagles will low ball us or even bypass us altogether since they know we won't take Mariota.

The value for the QB is in that fact that other teams would want him, not the Raiders. Just because the Raiders are not in the market for a QB does not mean the value decreases if there are other teams looking to draft said QB. At the end of the day the only reason the Eagles would need to go up to #4 is if they fear the Jets take Mariota, and if that's the case that creates leverage and drives the price up.

If it were to happen, no the Raiders would not get an RGIII type deal, but they would get more than what you suggested. You don't move up that far and not give-up the following years first (especially when we are talking about moving up for a QB)

On another completely unrelated note, the following people can go fuck themselves:

Trestman
The owner
The staff
Everyone on the roster but Flacco and Tyrod
Everyone else on the championship team but Ayanbadejo

You for posting this
Vio-Lence, Noodle, and Nialrot for quoting it
BLarry for not having enough faith to prevent this
Especially Mech
But especially Bart
And finally and mostly myself

I take more offense to this than anything.

Explain.

Seriously, my fuck you list extends to just Joe Flacco. Everyone else is top notch.

And I'm not too bummed about Trestman. If you remember, Mech was clowning us when we hired Kubiak to be our OC. All he did was turn our offense around get a premier headcoaching position one year later. Trestman is another failed head coach, who just might still be a talented OC. I'm ok with the hire.

The value for the QB is in that fact that other teams would want him, not the Raiders. Just because the Raiders are not in the market for a QB does not mean the value decreases if there are other teams looking to draft said QB. At the end of the day the only reason the Eagles would need to go up to #4 is if they fear the Jets take Mariota, and if that's the case that creates leverage and drives the price up.

If it were to happen, no the Raiders would not get an RGIII type deal, but they would get more than what you suggested. You don't move up that far and not give-up the following years first (especially when we are talking about moving up for a QB)

Hopefully. I would love to get their 2016 1st as part of the bargain, but I'm keeping my expectations low.

Mrbob

What a dope. He forgets the Packers are the one team in the NFC North which have a true Super Bowl window these next couple seasons, even with last weeks choke job.

Extremely happy with the Fangio hire. I think the Bears defense is going to get better fast. However, my enthusiasm has been dampened as I'm reading tweets about the Bears possible hiring Charlie Weis as OC. So close to getting away from all old stupidity and now the team may go do this. They have practically done everything great this off season so far, please don't ruin it with Charlie Weis.

Something weird with Gase, must be a bad interview or something. Goes from top HC candidate to bottom of the barrel OC candidate and getting passed over by the likes of Greg Olson.

Something weird with Gase, must be a bad interview or something. Goes from top HC candidate to bottom of the barrel OC candidate and getting passed over by the likes of Greg Olson.
Lol just saw this
SiriusXM's Eddie Borsilli reports the "buzz" at the Senior Bowl is that Adam Gase "screwed up" getting the 49ers' job in his final interview.
Per Borsilli, Gase had the 49ers' job "locked up before the final meeting." It's unclear what Gase did to lose out to Jim Tomsula. Gase was a candidate for the Ravens and Jaguars' offensive coordinator vacancies, but was passed over in both towns. The 49ers, Rams, Jets, Browns and Bears are all still in search of play-callers, but Gase can probably be ruled out in San Francisco.

MechDX

"... calling games. ... Sometimes being a play-caller, you get a little tunnel vision and I can't do that again. But i will be involved."-Kubiak

Maybe he is finally getting it.

Maybe, but I just don't buy it personally. All the leaks came true and those same leaks said Tomsula would be the guy. I think the Gase interest was just a show for the fans. My theory at least.

Something is up with gase. He still has no job and John fox hasn't tabbed him either despite needing an OC

Jarnet87

didn't know Mariota declined the Senior Bowl invitation. Safe move, thought I think the Senior Bowl could have helped/hurt him equally.

To me it's laughable to think the Raiders would get anything close to a RG3 like deal, but we will see what happens.
If Chip is as high on Mariota as the media would have us believe (and thats an entirely debatable topic in its own right), you're GM should be fired if he doesn't straight extract every last bit he can out of Kelly to get the player he wants. Period.

You don't have a QB in this league and you're going nowhere. With the rookie wage scale. there's very little penalty in grabbing a QB. I wouldn't blame them if they grabbed a Jameis Winston or Mariotta if they fell to their pick.

yeah but 1st round QBs are almost a shot in the dark. Look at Brady, Wilson, Romo, etc. None of those guys were first round.

Seems like a 1st round lineman is on average a way better investment, if you are building from nothing wouldn't you want to invest in a good base?

Plus I would bet the talent gap between a 1st round OL and a 3rd round OL is way wider than 1st round QB vs 3rd round QB this year.

yeah but 1st round QBs are almost a shot in the dark.
It's as if we haven't watched teams desperately reach for shit QB's year after year after year (and I'm not calling Mariota a shit QB here to make this point). When the draft finally comes the thread is full of the same "LULZ!! Stupid X team took him THERE?!" as if its some revelation that bad teams do stupid things.

Jarnet87

Nothing to be gained there for him, top prospect decline all the time. Kevin white did, Hundley did too I believe.

I think he could of gained some points with a solid outing in practices and game under NFL coaches in a "pro" style system, but not worth the risk.

now eric mangini is in the running for niners d coordinator? so we fired him as offensive tight end coach and we want to possibly rehire him on defense?

how the fuck.... just kick the last nail in by hiring this motherfucker and that dumb bitch lane kiffin. fuck off york/baalke.

Jarnet87

Consider yourself lucky if you get a 6th

If Kelly can't get a 2nd for him then he is not a master of the trading game. Andy Reid got teams to pay a 2nd rounder for AJ Feely, Kevin Kolb and a washed up Donovan McNabb. Nick Foles is a better QB then the first 2 and a washed up McNabb.

Walter Football predicting the Texans will be major players in free agency and have an interest in Nick Foles if he comes available.--Twitter

http://walterfootball.com/seniorbowl2015rumors.php

Some good rumors here

btw I like their Lions draft.

R1: Eddie Goldman, DT, Florida State
R2: A.J. Cann, G, South Carolina
R3: Buck Allen, RB, USC
R4: Tony Lippett, WR, Michigan State

I probably wouldn't take a WR in the fourth round though. I'd take another offensive lineman, likely a tackle, or perhaps even a CB.

MechDX

If Kelly can't get a 2nd for him then he is not a master of the trading game. Andy Reid got teams to pay a 2nd rounder for AJ Feely, Kevin Kolb and a washed up Donovan McNabb. Nick Foles is a better QB then the first 2 and a washed up McNabb.

Yes and the Pats were convinced they were getting a 2nd or 3rd for Mallett. Just not happening

yeah but 1st round QBs are almost a shot in the dark. Look at Brady, Wilson, Romo, etc. None of those guys were first round.
That's 3 guys you named, you act as if it's easy to find good guys at Qb later in rounds. Just looking At names, more then half the league is made up of 1st round Qbs. A good amount high 2nd round picks too. Brady was a 6th and romo undrafted I believe, once in a while teams get lucky.

I'm just saying it's not easy to find Qbs.

Top Bottom