• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread |OT2| Brought To You By Buckethead™

Status
Not open for further replies.
Still don't understand why a tanking team like the Jags wouldn't give Tebow a shot in a read option type of offense.
makes sense. he's an icon in Florida so he'd fill seats. the only reason I can see for not doing this is the owner wanting to tank in jax to move the team to London.

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
NFL-Gaf Mock Draft 2013

17. Steelers - DeaconKnowledge, chuckddd, Angmarsking701, 789shadow - Cordarrelle Patterson - WR - Tenessee

I know I am late to the game here but I would to say I don't believe this is the direction the Steelers go in the first round. Historically since Mike Tomlin has been the coach they have switch O and D picks each year during the first round. 07 Defense - Timmons, 08 Offense Mendenhall, 09 Defense Hood, 10 Offense Pouncey, 11 Defense Heyward, 12 Offense DeCastro. Following this pattern the Steelers will go Defense in the first round this year. Also the Steelers like to draft young players with the first round picks.This way when their rookie contracts end they are still 25 or 26. They draft 20 and 21 year olds almost exclusively in the first round. This takes Kenny Vaccaro off the board. I think they will target a Safety this year. Eric Reid out of LSU will be 21 almost the whole season. I think he will be the target for the Steelers in the first. They could trade down and still pick him up.

If they do break the pattern I hope it is for Tavon Austin.

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
Still don't understand why a tanking team like the Jags wouldn't give Tebow a shot in a read option type of offense.

They would at least put butts in the seats if he was the QB. They could get rid of all those tarps with actual people....Crazy....

Probably because they don't want to waste a year of development for everyone else on the offense?

I don't understand. Seems like a good fit. Heavy emphasis on running, hand the ball to MJD, rock the pistol formation with a bit of read option like the Skins/Niners/Seahawks.

I don't see how that hinders development.

I know I am late to the game here but I would to say I don't believe this is the direction the Steelers go in the first round. Historically since Mike Tomlin has been the coach they have switch O and D picks each year during the first round. 07 Defense - Timmons, 08 Offense Mendenhall, 09 Defense Hood, 10 Offense Pouncey, 11 Defense Heyward, 12 Offense DeCastro. Following this pattern the Steelers will go Defense in the first round this year. Also the Steelers like to draft young players with the first round picks.This way when their rookie contracts end they are still 25 or 26. They draft 20 and 21 year olds almost exclusively in the first round. This takes Kenny Vaccaro off the board. I think they will target a Safety this year. Eric Reid out of LSU will be 21 almost the whole season. I think he will be the target for the Steelers in the first. They could trade down and still pick him up.

agreed but given the way the mock went there weren't D men that we weren't reaching for. I think the steelers would trade back for more picks as well if things go like this mock, but we don't do trades in the mock.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Que Tebow throwing to a lone defender.

L311LgY.jpg

eznark

Banned
I don't understand. Seems like a good fit. Heavy emphasis on running, hand the ball to MJD, rock the pistol formation with a bit of read option like the Skins/Niners/Seahawks.

Read option is effective in the NFL not because of a quarterbacks ability to run but because of their ability to pass. Tebow is too slow to be a frightening edge rusher and too inaccurate to be trusted to throw the ball reliably over the middle. Guy is fucking garbage. It boggles my mind why people pretend he is an NFL caliber quarterback.

They'd be better off taking a flier on Collin Klein in the 5th. At least he hasn't proven he sucks balls.

Good news Giants fans:

Mike Garafolo ‏@MikeGarafolo
Giants are getting LG Kevin Boothe back. He'll sign a one-year deal to return to the team.

Boothe is a solid, if not spectacular, guard and performed well last year. More importantly, if Boothe didn't return the Giants were going to have a gaping hole at LG with virtually no one on the current roster to fill it.
Excellent news. Doesn't entirely preclude going offensive line in the first this year (the Giants spent the weekend with Chance Warmack but I don't think there's a chance in hell he's there at 19) but I think it makes it an even more remote possibility and they'll look to grab someone in the mid rounds to develop again.

I'm looking forward to our new defensive end prospect.:)

Oh and cut David Diehl's salary already or cut him outright. I know they didn't want to do that with Boothe's situation being uncertain but now that that's resolved.

effzee

Even though I didn't participate in this mock draft, I have to say this is the greatest thing since butt fumble (even though it came before it)!

I don't follow the college game so I know very little surface level information on each player and this has served as a good educational tool.

Of course now I also want the Eagles to draft 5 different players at the 4 spot and move back into the first round to get another 5 different players.

Draxal

Excellent. Doesn't entirely preclude going offensive line in the first this year (the Giants spent the weekend with Chance Warmack but I don't think there's a chance in hell he's there at 19) but I think it makes it an even more remote possibility and they'll look to grab someone in the mid rounds to develop again.

I'm looking forward to our new defensive end prospect.:)

If there's an end there for us to pick, there might be a run on them. Although Barrett Jones screams Giants in the third now. Reese always loved those players that fell due to injury.

Dragon

Banned

The three teams you mention have quarterbacks who can throw the ball and who can run faster than Tebow.

If there's an end there for us to pick, there might be a run on them. Although Barrett Jones screams Giants in the third now. Reese always loved those players that fell due to injury.
Agreed on Barrett Jones.

As for DE, even if Carradine blows everyone away at his pro-day I think he's there for us. Also fits that player who fell because of injury criteria.

Datone Jones should be available as well who the Giants supposedly like but I think he's a reach at 19. (I agree with Ez that the Cowboys aren't taking him. If they don't go offensive line or grab Vaccarro, I'll be shocked).

EDIT: Heyward-Bey expected to visit the Colts:

Adam Schefter & #8207;@AdamSchefter 2h
Maybe this is @JimIrsay's WR ... Former Raiders WR Darrius Heyward-Bey is expected to visit Colts as early as today.

Draxal

Agreed on Barrett Jones.

As for DE, even if Carradine blows everyone away at his pro-day I think he's there for us. Also fits that player who fell because of injury criteria.

Datone Jones should be available as well who the Giants supposedly like but I think he's a reach at 19. (I agree with Ez that the Cowboys aren't taking him. If they don't go offensive line or grab Vaccarro, I'll be shocked).

I think Vacc is a lock for them. In all honesty, I see Cooper going before Warmack in this draft as well, lack of versatily hurts a ton for him in the draft. And I honestly could see the Giants passing on Warmack even if he dropped.

I don't know the second round de prospects, but i also heard that they were stacked in that round as well. Hell it wouldn't shock me if he went against the grain and picked Minter in the first.

eznark

Banned
I kind of hope Dallas doesn't take Vaccaro. He's not a great fit there. Monte Kiffin isn't exactly innovating and if they play a Tampa 2 it's basically the worst possible place to put Vaccaro.

The three teams you mention have quarterbacks who can throw the ball and who can run faster than Tebow.

It's just a fundamental misunderstanding of why the system works. It's not about running the ball from the QB position, it's about forcing the defense to read/react to a number of different outcomes on every play. Tebow was effective running Meyer's offense not because he was a great passer but because his targets were Godly, elite tier receivers who coule get open by 10 yards as a result of the split second freeze that the play action afforded them. That doesn't exist anywhere in the NFL. There isn't the insane gulf between receivers and defensive backs. At best the read-option action gives you a yard or two of separation in general. Guys with cannons like Kaep and to a lesser extent Griffin or a guy like Wilson who has great feel and accuracy exploit that small window. Tebow simply isn't equipped. You can play an eight man front and give three dbacks deep third responsibility and destroy any Tebow offense.

Spinluck

Spindasher my suggestion is Arthur Brown from K-State. Tackling machine will be a great 3 down OLB. Think he has skills to be an effective blitzer, but he isn't going to be a stand up rusher by any means. He's the guy I hope Indy takes.

I assume all the top tier pass rushers are gone? I figured they'd look for an anchor on the defense, since Freeny is gone (and was past his prime for a few years anyway), and Jerry Hughes is hot garbage. Perhaps not in this draft.

An OLB would be a great pick though.

Bowser

Reid at 21 would be a reach of epic proportions, he'd be there in the 2nd round most likely

eznark

Banned
I assume all the top tier pass rushers are gone? I figured they'd look for an anchor on the defense, since Freeny is gone (and was past his prime for a few years anyway), and Jerry Hughes is hot garbage. Perhaps not in this draft.

Damontre Moore is a nice pick there imo. Though, if he is available that's where I'll probably go with the Packers pick so don't listen to me!!

bionic77

I don't talk shit. I generally try to speak in facts and history. And the first thing I did when the Steelers lost to the Packers in the super bowl was to congratulate them on my social feeds. If we deserve to lose then that is the way it is.
I wouldn't go as far as to congratulate sconis.

bionic77

You should understand who you're posting with...bionic talks more shit than anyone else on here. He does post how it is when the Steelers are mediocre though so I'll give him that!
There are currently between 30-32 shit teams in the league. That number may go down this year but I just work with the material given to me.

eznark

Banned
Twitter is the best thing ever:

terence newman @terencenewman
If anyone sees Ben Dogra of CAA, tell him I'd like him to get my deal finalized so if he could call me it would be appreciated.

Vikebike has another hour before I make the selection.

My current top three guesses at where they'll go:

Keenan Allen, WR California
Sylvester Williams, North Carolina, DT
Kawann Short, Purdue, DT

eznark

Banned
Vikebike has another hour before I make the selection.

My current top three guesses at where they'll go:

Keenan Allen WR California
Sylvester Williams, North Carolina, DT
Kawann Short, Purdue, DT

Allen is the obvious pick there. Hopefully Banned isn't trying to be too cute about it. Vikings needs are obvious and not really too numerous. Take the WR and the DT and let's fucking move in.

Calm Killer

Reid at 21 would be a reach of epic proportions, he'd be there in the 2nd round most likely

Steelers have the 17th pick but I fully see them trading down. It is still to early to tell though as the Steelers haven't had any of their 30 visitors in.

Allen is the obvious pick there. Hopefully Banned isn't trying to be too cute about it. Vikings needs are obvious and not really too numerous. Take the WR and the DT and let's fucking move in.
Allen is going to be my pick, yes. Lets give Banned his allotted time though. He has until 1pm. Some folks came in right at the wire yesterday.

I don't see anything from SpinDasher as of yet though. It seems like he may be leaning towards a pass rusher like Moore.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
There sure is a lot of back seat gm'ing going on for the Steelers' pick. Everyone had a chance to speak up but didn't. The organization has taken quite a few wr's in the first round, including two Super Bowl mvp's, most recently Santonio Holmes. I've said it plenty of times since I've been posting here, but while I like Wallace, Brown and Sanders, those guys were late round picks for a reason. None of them are the total package. They're all undersized, speedy types. Time for a big play maker, in the lines of a former Steeler first round pick, Plaxico Burress.

EDIT: It should also be noted that Tomlin and Colbert were at the Tennessee pro day, and I don't think it was to see Tyler Bray.

bionic77

There sure is a lot of back seat gm'ing going on for the Steelers' pick. Everyone had a chance to speak up but didn't. The organization has taken quite a few wr's in the first round, including two Super Bowl mvp's, most recently Santonio Holmes. I've said it plenty of times since I've been posting here, but while I like Wallace, Brown and Sanders, those guys were late round picks for a reason. None of them are the total package. They're all undersized, speedy types. Time for a big play maker, in the lines of a former Steeler first round pick, Plaxico Burress.

EDIT: It should also be noted that Tomlin and Colbert were at the Tennessee pro day, and I don't think it was to see Tyler Bray.
Just get me version 2.0 of the 2008 defense. Is that too much to ask?

Also Holmes was great in 2008 but was he really first round talent?

squicken

Jesse Williams is a NT prospect that is getting some first round mention

As far as remaining pass rushers, like ez said, it's Moore from A&M.

I don't know enough about Williams to offer an opinion. Not a fan of Moore and never have been. Gets a lot of hustle sacks but never seemed to just be more explosive than everyone else. I like Brown just b/c he's the guy I know. Not going to be a glamorous pick, but he fills a need very well. Colts need everything on defense that you can go pretty much anywhere

Draxal

I don't know enough about Williams to offer an opinion. Not a fan of Moore and never have been. Gets a lot of hustle sacks but never seemed to just be more explosive than everyone else. I like Brown just b/c he's the guy I know. Not going to be a glamorous pick, but he fills a need very well. Colts need everything on defense that you can go pretty much anywhere

I like Brown, but I thought he was slotted for the second round.

I like Brown, but I thought he was slotted for the second round.
He's been moving up a number of boards above Minter/Te'o. Walter Football has him mocked in the first as do a few other sites.

EDIT: This just came up on twitter:

Dan Graziano @espn_nfceast
Romo deal hours away 4 years 68 million 30 guaranteed

Cowboys decide to Extend Romo.

Bowser

Steelers have the 17th pick but I fully see them trading down. It is still to early to tell though as the Steelers haven't had any of their 30 visitors in.

Whoops, goofed on the pick (saw the age and assumed that was the pick). Most current mocks don't have Reid going until at least the 2nd round (Walter Football has him slotted in the 3rd), so I still maintain he's a reach in the first.

It's possible they go WR, especially if something happens with Sanders. Don't know if I'd be excited about it though.

The WRs they picked in the 1st or 2nd that I can remember:

'94 - Charles Johnson picked 1-17: Played 5 years, was OK. Did have 1 thousand yard season, but overall not a guy people will back on as anything special.

'99 - Troy Edwards picked 1-13: Total bust, couldn't even play special teams without fucking up.

'00 - Plax picked 1-8: Was a good pick despite some bonehead moments. But the Steelers made no effort to keep him in town after initial contract.

'02- Randel El Picked 2-30: Taken more for his return skills and gadget playability. Certainly not an amazing WR, but was a worthwhile pick.

'06 - Holmes, Picked 1-25: We all know the story, head case, but he helped get 6th Lombardi.

'08 - Limas Sweed, Picked 2-22: Complete disaster.

Looking at that, the 3s used to get Wallace and Sanders were pretty good value and I probably would prefer they go that route. Trade down or wait to get some guys later. But, I would not be stunned if they do go WR in the first.

Banned didn't show so I made the Vikings pick.

NFL-Gaf Mock Draft 2013

1. Chiefs - Luke Joeckel - T - Texas A&M

That said, right now I expect the pick to be Luke Joeckel. While the Chiefs are also going to work out Lane Johnson and Eric Fisher, Joeckel seems to be the consensus best LT in the draft. He would immediately start at right tackle, and should slide over to LT to fill Albert's spot in 2014. Are these mock draft entries usually full of venom and vitriol towards the expected pick? Because that's all I have left.

2. Jaguars - Eric Fisher - T - Central Michigan

Jags #2 Pick!

Jags have a LOT of holes to fill, and the top 10 is a real crapshoot with who will be the most impactful.

They plan on building the offense around a renewed MJD, preparing to give him a big contract to get him to spend the rest of his career here. That means they need to shore up their offensive line. Since Joeckel is taken, they will pick Eric Fisher from Central Michigan. His specialty is pushing people back, and that's all MJD needs to really use his skills. Defensive Tackles are too hit-and-miss, but O-line are generally stable.

3. Raiders - ChanHuk, Mackenzie 92 - Star Lotulelei - DT - University of Utah

ChanHuk said:
With the #3 selection in the 2013 Mock NFLGAF draft the glorious Oakland Raiders select; Star Lotulelei, defensive tackle University of Utah.

The Raiders are in complete rebuild mode, no more of this nonsense "reload" of the Al Davis era of just overpaying washed up vets. Only 4 starters return from last year's dismal defense, the Raiders need to address their run defense which has been pathetic the last decade.

Star Lotulelei is similar to a player we should've picked in the 2006 NFL draft in Haloti Ngata. Star is not as dominant as Ngata but still commands double team blocks against the run. Star isn't going to get you flashy sack numbers but he'll allow your LBs to make plays. Teams are built in the trenches, Raiders now possess two stout young defensive linemen in Star and Lamar Houston. With the addition of Vance Walker through FA, the Raiders now possess a formidable run stopping defensive line.

4. Eagles - Yankeehater, JABEE - Dee Miliner - CB - University of Alabama

The Eagles have already taken big strides to improve their biggest weakness last year. The Eagles have a ton of holes to fill, but Dee is the best player available that fills one of those holes. Even though Dee doesn't posses the return skills of a Deion Sanders, he is unquestionably the best CB in this draft.

5. Lions - WedgeX, Goldlion054, Kastrioti, Plinko - Ziggy Ansah - DE - BYU

Worst case scenario here, but the lions will be selecting DE Ziggy Anash from BYU here. With the loss of Backus, Detroit would have loved to fill the role with a franchise player like Fischer, but not the case here. The coaching staff reportedly loves Anash after the senior bowl and he'll fit into Mayhew's bpa strategy. He may be raw, but his ceiling is very high and can hopefully become a JPP type player with those skills. Again, worst case scenario, but it'll have to do

6. Browns - BlackGhost, Wes, theBatman - Dion Jordan -DE/OLB - Oregon

Futurevoid said:
With the browns switch to the 3-4, they pick up the best OLB prospect in the draft. Jordan still has to prove he can bring an arsenal of pass rush moves to the table but he has proven himself to be proficient when dropping in coverage, offers excellent size/length and speed and fits the mold as the type of physical specimen that can develop into a top caliber pass rusher in this draft.

7. Cardinals - Squall ASF (Futurevoid standing in as Squall was not around) - Geno Smith - QB - West Virginia

Futurevoid said:
I struggled with this pick and it really shouldn't have been. Chance Warmack makes the most sense. You can go on all about a guard not having been picked Top 10 in however many years but this is 10+ year starter for a team that has about an awful an offensive line as there is. However, I'm not making the pick. I'm supposed to try and guess at what the Cardinals will do and frankly I can't escape the desperation a team with Drew Stanton as their opening day starter has to contend with.

Lane Johnson was also a possibility here but I'm going with my gut here. Geno Smith doesn't get past the Bills and I don't think the Bills will have the chance to draft him. Arians go throw out all of the smokescreens he likes about not being impressed with any of the QB class. It's a reach and the Cardinals are the team to do it.

8. Bills - LJ11 - Tavon Austin - WR - West Virginia

GAF Mock draft has always been about choosing the player you think your team is going to take. Pretty sure the Bills will take a QB, but I'm not sure a QB is worth the 8th overall pick. They desperately needed an offensive tackle last season, but didn't get desperate and reach. I think they're going to do it the same way this year. Nassib and Wilson are the only two possibilities but with 6 picks, next to no moves in FA, and a ton of holes you would be wise to trade back regardless off return and then make a play for a QB. You don't need a haul either. This is the Bills though, so....

They've gone D heavy the last few years, need some offense, and I'm using the CJ rational to make this pick.

Tavon Austin, find me a better more explosive offensive threat in this draft? You can't.

9. Jets - Fox318 (Futurevoid standing in) - Shariff Floyd - DT - Florida

Futurevoid said:
WR and OL makes sense here for the Jets but Rex likes his defense and considering they've let go of a number of high priced vets to clear cap space, I think they can't let a prospect like Floyd continue to drop. He'll play the 5 tech in the 3-4 and should be a force alongside Wilkerson. I was thinking Mingo here as well but Floyd is just a better prospect to me with this high of a pick.

10. Titans - Fidelis Hodie (Futurevoid standing in) - Chance Warmack - G - Alabama

As a former offensive lineman who was drafted in the top-10, Titans head coach Mike Munchak will undoubtedly be impressed with Warmack. And even after spending big money on Andy Levitre in free agency, the Titans could use another guard opposite him.

11. Chargers - Nightz - Lane Johnson - T - Oklahoma

Nightz said:
The Chargers would like to get the Philip Rivers of old back and know that fixing the offensive line is the first step in doing so. With 4 out of 5 starters on the line still unknown at this point, Lane Johnson is the pick. Johnson has shown lots of potential and will step in to the starting left tackle role. He will be relied on heavily to protect the blind side and keep Rivers upright.

12. Dolphins - The_Darkest_Red - Xavier Rhodes - CB - FSU

With the WR need being considerably addressed in free agency, the biggest needs for the Dolphins became CB (especially with the loss of Sean Smith), OT (with the loss of Jake Long), and DE. CB in particular seems like the biggest need to me, and with that in mind I think the Dolphins will take Xavier Rhodes with the twelfth overall pick. Rhodes is known for being a physical and athletic corner, and his height and size (6-2, 210 lbs.) should help him match up well against larger receivers.

13. Buccaneers - Colonel Nasty - Bjoern Werner - FSU

Even though Werner seems like a reach, I just can't justify Trufant this high. The Bucs need secondary help bad but with not a single double digit sack DE on the roster and Claybourne coming off surgery along with Bowers being a dumb fucking Talib wannabe the Tampa Bay Bucs select Bjoern Werner "Brothers" from FSU.

14. Panthers - Bowser - Sheldon Richardson - DT - Missouri

Bowser said:
Panthers need a stud DT. While we resigned Edwards, he's aging and likely only has a year or two of quality play left. We also had to release Ron Edwards due in a salary cap related move. 2011 3rd round pick Sione Fua has been a bust of epic proportions and will likely stick on the roster because he's cheap and we have little depth at the position. Richardson is an explosive athlete and should add a playmaker on the interior of the line to help free up Kuechly, Beason and Davis to make plays at the line of scrimmage.

15. Saints - cajunator - Barkevious Mingo - DE/OLB - LSU

cajunator said:
A standout at LSU, he would be a local favorite to shore up a much maligned defense. He would be used heavily in pass rush situations in Rob Ryan's 3/4. Playing in the SEC should have prepared him for the NFL.

16. Rams - squicken, B for Bendetta - Jonathan Cooper - G - North Carolina

Well that went fast. I know that I would definitely take Cooper too. Problem is that Fisher has never drafted OL in the first round. The only other choice here is Cordarrelle Patterson. He and Austin are the only two big-time playmakers in the draft. As far as big needs, it's OLB and safety

The Rams absolutely would take Sheldon Richardson if he was there, but he's not.

Vacarro isn't good enough to separate from the other safeties.

Patterson is VERY similar to Brian Quick in terms of strengths and weaknesses, but he is better. If they both work out, it would be like having Jones and White

Jarvis Jones doesn't fit the Rams scheme. They'd go with Tank if they wanted another DE. He's not fast enough to play OLB for STL

So it's either Patterson or Cooper. Since they lost Turner and Wells is an injury risk, they really need insurance at OG and C. Cooper can do both, but hopefully not have to play C until next year. So Cooper is the pick. Starts right away at LG

17. Steelers - DeaconKnowledge, chuckddd, Angmarsking701, 789shadow - Cordarrelle Patterson - WR - Tenessee

With the 17th pick in the 2013 NFL-Gaf Mock Draft, Steelers-Gaf selects Cordarrelle Patterson, WR out of Tennessee.

With the loss of Mike Wallace, the Steelers can immediately fill his spot in the line up with Patterson. He gives Roethlisberger the tall target that he's always wanted. It's also more urgent to get a big receiver this year, with the questionable availability of Heath Miller. Patterson is a deep threat play maker and great after the catch. He can also return kicks, saving Antonio Brown some wear and tear.

On the down side, he's unpolished and needs to work on his routes and high pointing the ball. The same could be said of Wallace for his entire Steeler tenure, though.

The highest rated receiver falls to the Steelers, so it's a fairly easy pick. Jarvis Jones was the other closest competitor here, but he had a terrible pro day and has health concerns.

18. Cowboys - cashman - Datone Jones - DE - UCLA

cashman said:
The Cowboys biggest priority for the draft should be getting D line personnel for Monte Kiffin's defense, and I think Datone Jones would be perfect to line up at left defensive end opposite of Ware.

19. Giants - Futurevoid, BigAT, Striker, The Frankman, Wellington - Cornellius "Tank" Carradine - DE - FSU

Futurevoid said:
Offensive line is a need for the Giants but the reality is that the team would have to trade up in the second round to get the type of impact DE they usually pursue in the draft whereas there is plenty of developmental talent on the offensive line in the 2nd-3rd round the Giants can grab which is more their style.

With the 19th pick, the Giants fit both a need and a value pick with Carradine. A player with top 10 type of talent but who will invariably drop due to concerns about the recent ACL tear he's recovering from. Prior to that, Carradine was on a tear putting up 11 sacks in 11 games. He has the type of long arms (near 35inches) that the Giants love to see in their DE's. He's a little shorter than what they usually go for but at 6'4, 276 pounds, the Giants will gain a player who can afford to get fully healthy and play spot duty until Justin Tuck finishes the final year of his contract. The combination of Carradine and JPP could put the Giants defensive line back in the role of domination that eluded them in the 2012 season for years to come.

20. Bears - cuevas, phd., Vio-lence, Plasticine, minx88 - Alec Ogletree - LB - Georgia

Plasticine said:
With Brian Urlacher sent packing, the Bears need a presence in the middle of their defense. DJ Williams was a nice signing, but doesn't represent a long term solution for the position. Alec Ogletree is arguably the best linebacker in the draft, but his unmitigated talent has been hampered by character concerns. Fast, physical and aggressive, Ogletree brings the attitude and style of play expected of a Monster of the Midway. His troubled past may represent a gamble, but it's one I think Phil Emery would be comfortable taking should Ogletree fall to the Bears.

21. Bengals - eznark - Kenny Vaccarro - FS - Texas

Since Vollmer signed elsewhere and the tackle market has suddenly thinned, the Bengals are likely to bring back Andre Smith for less than they expected. It's possible that Smith says fuck you after the butt raping the Brown's gave him over his rookie contract but I expect them to bring him back. My pick hinges on that signing. If the Bengals don't get him they will need a OT and this draft should have a couple decent options still lingering here. I expect them to take either Fluker or Menelik should Smith go elsewhere (GB perhaps?).

The pick though, since Brown got out the jaws of life and pried out a few haypennies to begrudgingly release from his clutches to bring back Smith will be Kenny Vaccarro.

I have a couple problems with this scenario, mostly because I don't see any chance of Vaccarro, far and away the best safety available in the draft, still being available. I think Squicken and Cashman are dumb as bricks for passing on him and I could see about half of the teams ahead of Cincinnati taking a guy who is pretty much a lock to start and contribute day 1 (I think you'll hear a lot of teams linking themselves to him trying to get Dallas or St. Louis to move up for him) but Marvin Lewis will get the last laugh and Vaccarro will have a Harrison Smith type immediate impact.

He is a rare safety that can actually play at least decently in man, is a fantastic athlete with solid ball skills and isn't afraid to use his speed to fill a gap. Personally I think the kid is special. His draft stock fell mostly because he struggled to keep his motor running playing for a fuck-awful Texas team.

His strength is his weakness. He is over-aggressive and at times undisciplined. It leads to him being out of position when not given a specific assignment (so in zone...kind of a bummer in the Age of 2High). But, that aggressiveness, speed and raw talent will be a massive boon for a team with defensive gurus like Cincinnati. Lewis et al have been able to mold a number of raw, athletic, gifted piles of shit into absolute studs and I expect no different here.

22. Rams (from Redskins) - squicken, B for Bendetta - DeAndre Hopkins - WR - Clemson

At 22, Rams take DeAndre Hopkins. Probably a little early. Could end up being Keenan Allen. Might also be a good trade down spot for teams wanting a QB, or a team wanting to get ahead of MIN and take a WR. But Hopkins it is, and I really like the player. Not as fast as his Combine speed but a super-competitive player who is most often compared to Anquan Boldin. Faster but not as strong, he is extremely good at catching contested balls and using his body to create last moment separation

23. Vikings - BannedEpisode (Futurevoid standing in) - Keenan Allen - WR - California

Futurevoid said:
While the Vikings added Greg Jennings to their lineup in the offseason via free agency, they have absolutely nothing behind him at WR after trading Percy Harvin to the Seahawks. Jerome Simpson was resigned but he brings almost nothing to the table. With their first pick in the 2013 draft, they pick up Keenan Allen. He offers long body with solid route running with slants, crossing and vertical routes. He lacks elite speed but gives them a receiver with good ball skills that they can develop into another weapon alongside Jennings and Rudolph.

24. Colts - SpinDasher - ON THE CLOCK
25. Vikings - from Seattle - BannedEpisode
26. Packers - eznark, TheLegendary
27. Texans - MechDX
28. Broncos - Godslay, Hunter S Thompson
29. Patriots - Dutch Patriot
30. Falcons - Talon
31. 49ers - FrenchMovieTheme
32. Ravens - BaltimoreLarry, Nakazato

COLTS ARE ON THE CLOCK! Colts have until 3pm to enter their pick.

Vikings will be back on the clock at that point. I'll PM BannedEpisode again to see if he can get that pick in.

Packers-GAF, get your picks ready.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
I'd love to have Barrett Jones.

Also that whole Alabama offensive line.

Don't understand why he's not getting as much love as Fluker/Warmack. Seems like the thought of him at Center, bumped him down to the range of where Centers go in the draft (later rounds). He was great as a guard, and was good enough to win awards as a LT.

Now, 6'4" is on the shorter list of LT sizes, but it's adequate. There's no other available O-Lineman that has as much versatility as him in this years draft (which is still a crazy attribute to diminish Warmack's ability, NYG Fan guy)

Don't understand why he's not getting as much love as Fluker/Warmack. Seems like the thought of him at Center, bumped him down to the range of where Centers go in the draft (later rounds). He was great as a guard, and was good enough to win awards as a LT.
Posted about it earlier. The lisfranc injury and the possibility he starts the season on PUP is hurting his draft stock.

EDIT: Small Eagles update:

ProFootballTalk @ProFootballTalk 1m

Eagles announce that they have signed P Donnie Jones, and they have released P Mat McBriar.

squicken

Wow at Romo extension. I like him and I know he had a bad cap number, but he's getting older and he relies a bit more on movement than other older QBs. And he also doesn't exactly take great care of himself. Not sure he's going to age as well as Brady/Manning

Now, 6'4" is on the shorter list of LT sizes, but it's adequate. There's no other available O-Lineman that has as much versatility as him in this years draft (which is still a crazy attribute to diminish Warmack's ability, NYG Fan guy)

Think he would have been a second if not for the injury. Fluker is the better graded prospect b/c of his long arms, size, and strength. I really want the Rams to take him at 22 if they go WR at 16

Draxal

I'm not dimishing him, I want him, but the Bob McGinn's of the world, and some teams (I know the Giants do, and Deacon has verified the Steelers are similiar) prefer versatile offensive lineman. It's risk prevention, Gallery busted out as a tackle and moved over to a guard and did fine.

EAGLES AGREE TO TERMS WITH ALL-PRO P DONNIE JONES

He should be a big upgrade at punter for them.

LOL at the Cowboys giving Romo $30m guaranteed.

Spinluck

Damontre Moore is a nice pick there imo. Though, if he is available that's where I'll probably go with the Packers pick so don't listen to me!!

This is who I initially had in mind.

Any young talented OLB would be an instant upgrade. I like what I've seen from Moore, he does seem to be more of a hustle guy, but it might be what we need on D.

I feel like under Pagano, we won't be as reliant on pass rush as we used to be. And I expect us to blitz a lot more than we did in the past to bring pressure when needed. So if this guy is a solid tackler, who has a feel for the blitz. I think I'd like what he has to bring too.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
If we're playing fantasy gm, the Steelers trade out of the first with the Browns, who give up their second this year and first next near. Use the second on Cyprien and next year's first on Clowney.

The Browns do that trade because they're panicking and want Barkley.

squicken

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest/post/_/id/95245/crabtree-harvin-and-2009-wr-draft-class

The 2009 WR draft class. Harvin measures up very well when viewed just as a WR

This is who I initially had in mind.

Any young talented OLB would be an instant upgrade. I like what I've seen from Moore, he does seem to be more of a hustle guy, but it might be what we need on D.

I feel like under Pagano, we won't be as reliant on pass rush as we used to be. And I expect us to blitz a lot more than we did in the past to bring pressure when needed. So if this guy is a solid tackler, who has a feel for the blitz. I think I'd like what he has to bring too.

Sounds like the guy is Moore. Freeny and Mathis were always maniacs during games, and he's the same way. Some questions about his off the field stuff, I guess. But he absolutely will rack up hustle sacks and pressure

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom