• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread |OT2| Brought To You By Buckethead™

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not an amazing draft, but I'm really glad we didn't go with a QB. Much better ones next year.
Eh, I think we made some good decisions and Browns fans need to wait until the seasons atleast or training camp to make judgements.
I'm pretty happy with the Mingo pick though, And think McFadden can be a fine second Cb but time will tell.

Doorman

So far, thinking about the picks we made this year, I feel like I look at our third rounder, Larry Warford, and think to myself that that's the only position we drafted that might actually become an upgrade over what we had the previous year. Nobody else from this class excites me at all.

That's...really not a good feeling to have when you were 4-12 to begin with.

Hopefully Bray takes that extra money from the Chiefs offer to get that tattoo blowtorched off. I really like the signing, but expect nothing more than a year on the bench, some spot duty and a trade for a pick down the line.
Probably expecting too much if you think there's a trade for a pick down the line. I think the most you can hope for right now is that he isn't a cancer in the locker room.

squicken

Not just the draft, but with FA and the draft, the Rams upgraded 7 positions. Losing SJAX removes some stability and to me is a downgrade at RB, but they wanted speed there. It's will be interesting with 8 new offensive starters, but they are better. Just need the OL to finally stay healthy

Gobias

Banned
Eh, I think we made some good decisions and Browns fans need to wait until the seasons atleast or training camp to make judgements.

I don't think it's a bad draft, though I'm still undecided on Mingo. Leon is a nice pick if he turns out well. I didn't think players like Billy Winn, Mitchell Schwartz or John Hughes would turn out well, but they did. I have faith. On top of that, we got another solid reciever in Davone Bess. And I'm glad we picked up a solid drug dealer.

Plus I'm glad we picked up another 3rd and 4th for next year.

A couple teams besides the Browns I'm look to see progress in after the Draft and FA are the
Vikings
Titans
Rams
Probably more I can't think of now

Quikies83

Hopefully Bray takes that extra money from the Chiefs offer to get that tattoo blowtorched off. I really like the signing, but expect nothing more than a year on the bench, some spot duty and a trade for a pick down the line.

lol trade pick down the line?
Like Brodie? Stanzi?

ROFL

Terrible draft on our part minus Fish and Nico Johnson

Kiryu

936567_557955717560572_1202577310_n.jpg

Richard Sherman with Roddy White... I don't even...

The 'trade for a pick down the line' bit was more of an unfunny joke based on Reid's history.

The Chiefs' draft isn't exciting in the least, but Fisher, Kelce and Nico Johnson should all be immediate starters. I understand the Davis pick, but don't like it, and really don't get the fullack pick.

My biggest problem with this draft is not getting a wide receiver, even if it meant taking a shot at Da'Rick Rogers. The Chiefs have Bowe and just a bunch of guys at WR and didn't do anything to address it.

Vyroxis

Banned
All said and done, I think the Vikings did well. We filled positions we needed, and we can dump Kluwe for a punter with actual ball control. Only time will tell however. Here's to hoping.

Canuck76

Banned
Not just the draft, but with FA and the draft, the Rams upgraded 7 positions. Losing SJAX removes some stability and to me is a downgrade at RB, but they wanted speed there. It's will be interesting with 8 new offensive starters, but they are better. Just need the OL to finally stay healthy

That's the key to me with this rams team. I have a good friend who is a huge Rams fan, if they can keep Bradford healthy behind a good OL then i think he can do wonders with Tavon. Jax ain't there to go HAM when you need it but just keep Bradford standing and this team could be decent force.

Probably won't be in the playoffs just because SEA and SF are the new power teams in the NFC but they'll go put up a hell of a fight just like they did last year.

smokeymicpot

Beat EviLore at pool.
All said and done, I think the Vikings did well. We filled positions we needed, and we can dump Kluwe for a punter with actual ball control. Only time will tell however. Here's to hoping.

I am gonna miss Kluwe. Hopefully he won't stop posting on gaf we still love him.

brentech

lol, Jon Jones tears Chael a new one, then post fight during the interview Joe Rogan points out TO Jon, that Jon has a broken toe. Then his adrenaline dumps and it looks like he's about to faint for a little bit before he regains his composure.
A fairly gnarly looking break of the big toe. not sure when it happened, but if it was during the fight it obviously didn't bother him as he never noticed it.

Greg

Yeah, I was watching that. I laughed that Joe was still trying to get the interview in despite Jon looking like he was about to pass out.

squicken

That's the key to me with this rams team. I have a good friend who is a huge Rams fan, if they can keep Bradford healthy behind a good OL then i think he can do wonders with Tavon. Jax ain't there to go HAM when you need it but just keep Bradford standing and this team could be decent force.

Probably won't be in the playoffs just because SEA and SF are the new power teams in the NFC but they'll go put up a hell of a fight just like they did last year.

The thing I talk to Rams fans about with SJAX is that they have a terrible run game in the RZ. It's not like it is his fault. The line is a revolving door of bad and injured players, and there wasn't an effective back shoulder/fade game to get defenders out of the box. Trading always speed for his size wasn't helping at short yardage. It's the other things that will make that better, so why not get younger and faster. Pass protection will be the one thing, potentially huge, that they will miss

brentech

Yeah, I was watching that. I laughed that Joe was still trying to get the interview in despite Jon looking like he was about to pass out.

The 1 minute roller coaster of Jones' expressions was classic. Ecstatic > laughs about the toe > gets real quiet > freaks out > says he's fine, trys to celebrate by yelling > comes back to life and seems quite normal by the end.

Godslay

Banned
Hmmm so should I be happy or not so happy about this development?

Freeney would have been nice. Even with that said we are in okay shape though on DEs. Basically we have Wolfe, Ayers, Beal, Smith (R), and Malik Jackson. The only pure pass rusher appears to be Smith, the other guys are good run stoppers with some ability to get to the passer.

Ayers did have some success rushing the passer last year, so I hope he is able to step up this year. If he can't, rumors are Ayers will defend run plays, and Phillips will come in passing plays to rush. Which doesn't sound too bad.

I think we should be excited about our DTs, if those guys can generate pressure up the middle it's going to make the defense that much better. It was something that we didn't have last year, and I think Williams and Knighton are going to add it. Those two are bigger additions to me than just about anyone else besides Welker. I think they will be game changers. Could be wrong though!

lol, Jon Jones tears Chael a new one, then post fight during the interview Joe Rogan points out TO Jon, that Jon has a broken toe. Then his adrenaline dumps and it looks like he's about to faint for a little bit before he regains his composure.
A fairly gnarly looking break of the big toe. not sure when it happened, but if it was during the fight it obviously didn't bother him as he never noticed it.

I broke my toe three weeks ago and it looked just like that, same bend and cut position. It just looks bad.

brentech

I broke my toe three weeks ago and it looked just like that, same bend and cut position. It just looks bad.

Yeah, I don't suspect he'll be out super long.
When I triple fractured my ankle last June it took about an hour for the adrenaline to wear off. Even then, it wasn't really painful but I got a little faint due to the shock of it.

cashman

Banned
So Bray initially agreed to sign with MIA, but got a better offer from KC, so went with them before signing. No idea what they ethics of all that is, but KC the better spot either way. Sherman would throw him out a window
Sherman was the guy that recruited Johnny Manziel. He's perfectly fine with shit heads.

Canuck76

Banned
The thing I talk to Rams fans about with SJAX is that they have a terrible run game in the RZ. It's not like it is his fault. The line is a revolving door of bad and injured players, and there wasn't an effective back shoulder/fade game to get defenders out of the box. Trading always speed for his size wasn't helping at short yardage. It's the other things that will make that better, so why not get younger and faster. Pass protection will be the one thing, potentially huge, that they will miss

Yeah. Do you think with Long and they're picks it's a good enough OL? That's the most important part of Bradford staying healthy is those guys up front. Did they get any other OL guys in free agency besides Long?

Even Long may not be enough if the whole line is totally screwed but i can't say i know enough about the situation to really know

squicken

Yeah. Do you think with Long and they're picks it's a good enough OL? That's the most important part of Bradford staying healthy is those guys up front. Did they get any other OL guys in free agency besides Long?

Even Long may not be enough if the whole line is totally screwed but i can't say i know enough about the situation to really know

Long is the only one, but they will also replace the LG. Saffold moves to RT. The problem isn't keeping Bradford healthy. They just went to a short passing game in the 2nd half to stop the sacks and holds. The OL has to stay healthy. It's the lone unit on the team that is old. Last year was a revolving door b/c of injuries and they just never could get consistent play week to week

cashman

Banned
So did Mack. And why are you sore at Manziel? DeLoss makes nice and sure that those mean Aggies won't hurt you none

I love Manziel, dudes entertaining and a baller but he's a shit head nonetheless, and his shitheadedness was known in high school as well. Only pointing out that Sherman won't shy away from character concerns if he believes the player is good enough.

btw, iirc I don't think Mack ever seriously considered Manziel. Muschamp was the one who made the safety comment.

I really want to play Madden now.

Oh wait, the new one comes out in September.

GTA V comes out in September.

I guess I'll wait until Madden "26".

Broncos official out of Freeney running per Mike Klis. Some where saying it was a foregone conclusion that Freeney would come after the draft. Signing of Phillips nixed anything with Freeney.
Right as I saw that Philips signing I knew we were done. Sad to see that officially.

squicken

I love Manziel, dudes entertaining and a baller but he's a shit head nonetheless, and his shitheadedness was known in high school as well. Only pointing out that Sherman won't shy away from character concerns if he believes the player is good enough.

btw, iirc I don't think Mack ever seriously considered Manziel. Muschamp was the one who made the safety comment.

Good point about Sherman. I really didn't know much about JFF until last year. I just want him to stay eligible. Seems like a player with lots of entitlement issues, but I always assume that with most athletes. The only thing he has ever done that has bugged me was the fight and arrest, but as long as it doesn't recur, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt that it was his friend popping off

Godslay

Banned
Right as I saw that Philips signing I knew we were done. Sad to see that officially.

Should be fine though, Phillips seems a bit more versatile than Freeney at least. He had 9.5 sacks, and 2 forced fumbles last year.

Another thing to consider is that Doom had 11 sacks, and 6 FF last year. We would have paid Doom ~8 million this year (forgot the exact numbers), but we will pay Phillips $1 million base up to $3 million if he meets incentives on sack numbers. If he can hit the numbers he had last year, we come out with equivalent production as Doom, all the while saving quite a bit of money. It might not happen, but it certain makes Doom look vastly overpaid if it does.

Fantomex

Should be fine though, Phillips seems a bit more versatile than Freeney at least. He had 9.5 sacks, and 2 forced fumbles last year.

Another thing to consider is that Doom had 11 sacks, and 6 FF last year. We would have paid Doom ~8 million this year (forgot the exact numbers), but we will pay Phillips $1 million base up to $3 million if he meets incentives on sack numbers. If he can hit the numbers he had last year, we come out with equivalent production as Doom, all the while saving quite a bit of money. It might not happen, but it certain makes Doom look vastly overpaid if it does.

Yo Slay. On Ni No Kuni, supreme sage Solomon is the GOAT.

So potential first and second year starters for the Rams this year:

Rok Watkins
Isaiah Pead
Darryl Richardson
Brian Quick
Chris Givens
Tavon Austin

TJ Mcdonald
Janoris Jenkins
Trumaine Johnson
Alec Ogletree
Michael Brockers

Johnny Hekker
Greg Zuerlein

I'm being too generous with some to be sure, but yo get double digit starters from two years is pretty decent. Fisher and Snead really built this from the ground up. The lack of depth at many positions is frustrating, but the reality is they are building a whole team practically from 3 drafts and there just aren't enough picks yet to complete it.

Makes you wonder what Fisher could have done in TN if they hadn't shoved Vince Young down his throat

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
So potential first and second year starters for the Rams this year:

Shame about all that "potential" talent/starters and no Quarterback to take you to the next level.

Your team goes as far as Sam Bradford can throw and thats not very far.

The teams who have no QB issues are the teams that are relevant, the rest will fight for next years top QB prospect.

Overall I think we had a good draft. We sorely need safety help and we didnt get anyone, unless they're planning to convert the CB we drafted. Gonna be interesting to see who steps up.

Shame about all that "potential" talent/starters and no Quarterback to take you to the next level.

Your team goes as far as Sam Bradford can throw and thats not very far.

The teams who have no QB issues are the teams that are relevant, the rest will fight for next years top QB prospect.

No need to worry dude. Lions already have the top pick locked up next year to get Fatty's replacement. It must be hard coping with Bradford passing up Fatty, but look on the bright side. One more shitty year and then you guys can start rebuilding again. Maybe if the draft is light you can at least make a slight upgrade to Sanchez or something

Overall I think we had a good draft.
Like the Jones pick.

Franklin & Harris are going to be a great 1-2 punch.

Colorado T was a good pick. I wonder where they put him.
Also think Pena can be good given some time to develop. Interesting case anyway.

We sorely need safety help and we didnt get anyone, unless they're planning to convert the CB we drafted. Gonna be interesting to see who steps up.
0JU5SUs.jpg

Starter by midseason

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom