• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Wild Card 2012 |OT| You Need An Ace In The Hole

Jerry Reese on the podium now.

A few things:

- Says he expects Tuck to be back next season. "He's not getting any younger but I think he's got a lot of tread left on his tires."
-Talked about the hardest part of his job is to let go of veteran players who have been on the team for a number of years.
- Feels the core of the team is able to contend, but they need to add pieces
- Put up an evaluation of the draft last season and feels that he has some good development players on the offensive line and is pleased with what he's seen of Wilson, Randle and Hosely. Think Robinson will have a bigger role at TE next season.
- Expects the Giants to be "a very different team" in 2013 (as expected)
- Expects Marc Ross to be a GM somewhere else and wishes him well.
- The Cruz contract is still being worked on. Says everything is on the table including the franchise tag is necessary (though not likely considering he's an RFA not UFA). Reese said team tried to get a contract extension during season with Victor Cruz but "it obviously didn't work out"
- Asked about the linebacking unit and feels the unit overall "could be better". Feels they need to have better play (personnel will be looked at).
- Said "some days cornerbacks have bad days" in so far as Websters play against Baltimore. Feels Prince has played well. No words on Corey's status moving forward though.
- Pleasantly surprised by Stevie Brown. Brown caught his eye as a special teamer more than anything else. Very high on Will Hill as a ST'er and safety moving forward.
- Lots of work to do on the offensive line with Beatty and Boothe being FA's. Likes what the young guys could be like Brewer.
- Hasn't talked to T2 lately but expects to see what they can do with him moving forward.

I do know the feel. Before Emery, any other Bears GM would have accepted another 9-7 or 10-6 non Super Bowl season. This is a bit a shock in what happened today.

I've been rationalizing keeping Lovie around. I knew what Emery said at the beginning of the year, but I didn't truly believe it. I thought there was no way the McCaskey's would pay Lovie off. I expected shuffling the deck chairs. I even feared Meathead would get another go at offensive coordinator. But here we are. They're talking about bringing in an offensive minded coach. Tice is gone. I heart Phil Emery. How can you not? Look at that handsome devil.

G6dL5.jpg

I can't wait to see who he hires and where we go from here.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I can't wait until next year when Detroit is 6-10 and the league has another team with a rookie head coach going to the playoffs.

Dragon

Banned
I know if Ninkovich is out for a prolonged period of time it's a big blow, but luckily the Pats have enough depth that I think they'll be okay. Especially with Justin Francis coming on. I'm sure TMQ will wax poetic about him considering he's an undrafted rookie.

As for the Steelers, i'm laying the season at two people's feet - BBR and Tomlin.

Ben clearly did not buy into Haley's system and his return from injury showed it. He completely forsake the short game when he returned. Just watching him it was clear to see that Ben thought he could make magic by scrambling again, and it cost us a bunch. "Run game is poor, O-line is poor"; - okay, throw to your hot read, which was often open. Don't scramble like fuck for 10 seconds then get surprised to take a sack.

Tomlin needs to be more hands on with Ben. The coaches for the other positions - RB, DL, and CB - were sounding like a broken record telling their players to not be a hero and do the job in front of them. Don't see why the QB should be exempt.

As for the D, Larry Foote was right - by midway through the season everybody forgot about their poor first couple of games, but this is the NFL - if it takes you 3 games to round into shape every year you're gonna fuck yourself for the playoffs. Steelers D is old and slow. We need to get younger in the trenches, specifically at DE and Linebacker. I'm fully convinced that Heyward is the man for the job, but he's firmly behind Keisel. With that MCL injury though, perhaps Heyward might get pushed ahead on the depth chart.

There's going to be a lot of turnover on D, mainly because we can't afford a lot of the players we have now. Harrison and Hampton are surely gone.

J0V5d.jpg

There is an idea of a Christian Ponder; some kind of abstraction. But there is no real me: only an entity, something illusory. And though I can hide my cold gaze, and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable... I simply am not there.

Master-tier post right here. Fantastic.

I think it's a combination of issues that include:

- Complacency having just one the big game a year ago. It's difficult to repeat for a reason and while they were a Super Bowl team, the roster didn't change significantly from the 9-7 Giants last year (same record this season). I question the teams want at the end of the season plain and simple. They seemingly felt that they could show up and teams would lay down for them.

- Personnel issues for sure. The Giants have gotten old at key positions and it's catching up to them. Certain spots on the offensive line need addressed, the defensive line needs major restocking (Tuck and Osi are both 30/31 years old) and though we don't need amazing CB's, even the good ones we had are in decline (Webster). We've got a starting running back who's wheels have literally fallen off as well along with other holes to fill.

That having been said, a wholesale rebuilding project is not in the cards. The core is still there for this team to contend. My opinion on this draft is that it should be VERY defense heavy. If we restock and Fewell isn't able to field a competent unit, then I would agree with others here saying it's time to find a new coordinator. As we get into the offseason I want to do a big post on the Giants roster and identify problem areas and where I think that focus should be.

- Some injuries and FA losses hurt. Nicks being banged up was a bigger loss to the offense than I expected. If anyone ever tells you that Cruz is the #1 receiver on this team, laugh in their face. Cruz is productive and damn good but he's THAT much better when Hakeem is across from him. Losing Manningham proved to be an issue as well. We played musical chairs at third WR all year long and while some guys had stand out games - no one really grabbed the position until Randle started stepping up. I think this offense has all of the weapons to be as potent as it ever was in 2011. I think next year with a little luck and health it can be.

I generally agree, though I wanted to ask you about Cruz. Giants seem to have a lot of receivers who have monster years then just disappear. Not that Cruz has done that, bu do you think he's capable of replicating last season again? I know you had a lot of injuries at WR, but just watching him play this year it seems like we've seen the best he has already.

Ok VIKEBIKE-GAF: Who should the Vikes trade Allen, Harvin, and some money for in the offseason?

Griffen and Wright will pick up the slack, don't worry.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Damn that Black Monday is no joke

Holy Fuck!

I will be super pissed if this shit turns out to be a coaching carousel, "Same faces, New places"

squicken

Surprised you are okay with him saying Roseman will be in charge of personal going forward.

Man this hurts so much. Russel is a fucking superstar and the Eagles absolutely could have had him last year.

Everyone could have had Russell. Skins fans, if they are honest, wish they would have kept their picks and drafted him. Tip the hat to Cheatin' Pete for nailing that pick

One day the patriots will collapse, and I will dance on your crushed emotions. No mercy will be shown

I've been a fan long enough to remember the 1 win times. And the Pete Carroll years (he's still not a real coach, btw). Pre-Kraft. As long as we have Kraft $, we'll never collapse.

DeaconKnowledge said:
Not that Cruz has done that, bu do you think he's capable of replicating last season again? I know you had a lot of injuries at WR, but just watching him play this year it seems like we've seen the best he has already.
Yep, but as mentioned he needs Hakeem. Even without him it's not as though he didn't put up great numbers this season.

86 receptions, 1,092 yards and 10 TD's is hardly something to bulk at.

Reese won't completely obliterate the bank for him. he isn't getting 10/yr. He'll do a Plax like deal from a number of years ago that will pay him in the 7-7.5 million/year range and try to do the same for Hakeem.

Tannenbaum: The Jets are a championship team that simply haven't been crowned yet.

I love how deluded everyone associated with the Jests are.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
As for the Steelers, i'm laying the season at two people's feet - BBR and Tomlin.

Ben clearly did not buy into Haley's system and his return from injury showed it. He completely forsake the short game when he returned. Just watching him it was clear to see that Ben thought he could make magic by scrambling again, and it cost us a bunch. "Run game is poor, O-line is poor"; - okay, throw to your hot read, which was often open. Don't scramble like fuck for 10 seconds then get surprised to take a sack.

Tomlin needs to be more hands on with Ben. The coaches for the other positions - RB, DL, and CB - were sounding like a broken record telling their players to not be a hero and do the job in front of them. Don't see why the QB should be exempt.

As for the D, Larry Foote was right - by midway through the season everybody forgot about their poor first couple of games, but this is the NFL - if it takes you 3 games to round into shape every year you're gonna fuck yourself for the playoffs. Steelers D is old and slow. We need to get younger in the trenches, specifically at DE and Linebacker. I'm fully convinced that Heyward is the man for the job, but he's firmly behind Keisel. With that MCL injury though, perhaps Heyward might get pushed ahead on the depth chart.

There's going to be a lot of turnover on D, mainly because we can't afford a lot of the players we have now. Harrison and Hampton are surely gone.
If I'm going to place blame, I'm staring at the training staff. Something has got to be done beyond chalking up injuries to bad luck.

The only thing I don't like about Tomlin right now is that he refuses to gameplan against weaker competition. The Steelers don't take shit teams seriously. They roll out a vanilla scheme and expect the talent to always win out.

Prepare yourself for another rebuilding year. Colbert and co. need to really come through with some good picks in the draft. But if the team can stay healthy and focused, there's still enough pieces in place to contend right through the rebuild.

Dragon

Banned
No point, he'll then swear he was always a Jags fan and jump back on their bandwagon.

You can't beat the gator.

You actually believe the Jags will be good again? Byron Leftwich/David Garrard are not walking through that door.

Edit: Neither is Mark Brunell for that matter.

List of UFA's and RFA's for the Giants in 2013:

UNRESTRICTED
WR Rames Barden (gone)
T Will Beatty (resign)
TE Travis Beckum (gone)
TE Martellus Bennett (resign)
DT Rocky Bernard (gone)
LB Chase Blackburn (cheapie resign)
G Kevin Boothe (resign)
QB David Carr (cheapie resign)
WR Domenik Hixon (gone or cheapie resign)
OL Sean Locklear (?)
RB Kregg Lumpkin (possible he sticks for training camp at a cheap price)
TE Bear Pascoe (cheapie resign)
S Kenny Phillips (likely gone:()
LB Keith Rivers (cheapie resign)
DL Shaun Rogers (cheapie resign)
RB Ryan Torain (possible he sticks for training camp at a cheap price but I think Lumpkin makes it over him)
CB Justin Tryon (cheapie resign)
K Lawrence Tynes (likely resign)
DE Osi Umenyiora (gone)

RESTRICTED
RB Andre Brown
S Stevie Brown
WR Victor Cruz

All three restricted will likely be resigned as well

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
How can we lure Gruden to Detroit? Does he like Coney dogs?

I'm not that enamored with Gruden, either.

That said, I'd rather have him on the sidelines for two reasons:

1) Jim Schwartz would be gone

2) Gruden would be out of the broadcast booth

squicken

Good news Brownies!

Geoff Mosher ‏@GeoffMosherCSN
I asked Lurie who was responsible for 2011 draft. Said he was taking high road. implication is clear that he feels Banner was culprit.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Good news Brownies!

Geoff Mosher ‏@GeoffMosherCSN
I asked Lurie who was responsible for 2011 draft. Said he was taking high road. implication is clear that he feels Banner was culprit.

Of course. I for one have never heard of a terrible team passing the buck to someone who is no longer employed with them.

Never.

If I'm going to place blame, I'm staring at the training staff. Something has got to be done beyond chalking up injuries to bad luck.

The only thing I don't like about Tomlin right now is that he refuses to gameplan against weaker competition. The Steelers don't take shit teams seriously. They roll out a vanilla scheme and expect the talent to always win out.

Prepare yourself for another rebuilding year. Colbert and co. need to really come through with some good picks in the draft. But if the team can stay healthy and focused, there's still enough pieces in place to contend right through the rebuild.

It's so true.

I think Kugler leaving was a blessing in disguise. I was so pissed when the announcer mentioned that the only Browns position on the o-line to miss time this year was LG. Everyone else played every snap.

That and special teams really fucked us. It seemed like every Steelers drive started at the 5 yard line and every good runback was negated by penalty.

I'm fine with them rebuilding, though we need to do it QUICK on the offensive line. I think we have something with Adams, Pouncey, and Decastro. Beachum will be good depth, and Foster is still a good utility player, but we need to shore up the other 2 positions. I love Colon, and he was the entire run game, but 3 IR's in 3 years speaks for itself. If we can't get consistency we should cut him and move on. Haley's offense will never work until we get stability on the line. If Tom Brady can dink his way to 1 million yards, Ben sure can.

ari

Banned
I've been rationalizing keeping Lovie around. I knew what Emery said at the beginning of the year, but I didn't truly believe it. I thought there was no way the McCaskey's would pay Lovie off. I expected shuffling the deck chairs. I even feared Meathead would get another go at offensive coordinator. But here we are. They're talking about bringing in an offensive minded coach. Tice is gone. I heart Phil Emery. How can you not? Look at that handsome devil.

G6dL5.jpg

I can't wait to see who he hires and where we go from here.

We both was just talking about this yesterday too. i told you this would happen. lol

Fantomex

Blow it up Monday. My goodness, everybody and their momma got fired.

Dolphins need to trade their first rounder and a third rounder to move up and get Manti Teo. This draft seems to suck.

Dragon

Banned
It's so true.

I think Kugler leaving was a blessing in disguise. I was so pissed when the announcer mentioned that the only Browns position on the o-line to miss time this year was LG. Everyone else played every snap.

That and special teams really fucked us. It seemed like every Steelers drive started at the 5 yard line.

I'm fine with them rebuilding, though we need to do it QUICK on the offensive line. I think we have something with Adams, Pouncey, and Decastro. Beachum will be good depth, and Foster is still a good utility player, but we need to shore up the other 2 positions. I love Colon, and he was the entire run game, but 3 IR's in 3 years speaks for itself. If we can't get consistency we should cut him and move on.

The Steelers are so old though, doesn't it make sense for them to have a ton of injuries? Unless you expect their trainers to start injecting them with stem cells or something.

Go back to early 90's version of Pats would be glorious

Drew-Bledsoe-Drafted-With-Parcells.jpg

High Bledsoe is best Bledsoe.

Dragon said:
The Steelers are so old though, doesn't it make sense for them to have a ton of injuries?
Many of their offensive line injuries were to young players. First year rookies etc.

NihonTiger90 said:
How are Linehan and Cunningham still employed?
You're only a few pieces away from being "back at the top of the NFC". That's what Kastrioti told me!

Top Bottom