• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Wild Card 2012 |OT| You Need An Ace In The Hole

Glennon has all the "measureables" as kiper would put it
I said that in 2011, yet desperate teams gonna do desperate things.
2011 class dosent seem to be shaping up so bad, we got quality starters some the verdicts still out on.
Newton
Locker
Ponder
Dalton
Kaep
And the Patriots love child Mallet

We should get a formal announcement on Reid today. Looks like he's already assembling his staff:

Jason La Canfora @JasonLaCanfora

Chiefs will formally announce the Reid hiring today. Plan had been to announce the Pioli statement first. Reid's been assembling staff

Bowser

Giants dedicated site called bigblueunited. The main writer posts on BBI from time to time and generally has a pretty good reputation..

I wouldn't post it otherwise.

Interesting. Well, we requested permission to interview Ross and Gettleman (although I've seen various people including La Canfora saying Gettleman has more buzz for the Panthers gig than Ross) on Monday, and Richardson's meeting with Rivera tomorrow, so who knows.

Striker

Sorry if posted.

Former Eagle MLB Jeremiah Trotter rips Andy Reid's coaching in big games:

"Andy Reid got out-coached in a lot of games, man, a lot of big games," Trotter continued. "Time outs, running the football, you know."

His play-calling decisions also affected the psyche of the defensive players and coaches, according to Trotter.

"As a defense, we understood we passed the ball too much. You know, there's times we're sitting over there like, 'Man, listen. Just get us a couple of first downs so we can get a break.' And I'm sure it frustrated Jim Johnson also."

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
Glennon has all the "measureables" as kiper would put it

2011 class dosent seem to be shaping up so bad, we got quality starters some the verdicts still out on.
Newton
Locker
Ponder
Dalton
Kaep

So you think that Locker (8), Ponder (12) and Gabbert (10) were good picks? Dalton and Copernicus were drafted in good spots. i.e. Not the first round.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
The Pro Bowl?

Actually the sugar bowl to get some more delicious sweets for all us young whippersnappers.

Chip Kelly if perfect for the Browns. They are the only franchise desperate enough to make such a coaching move. Maybe they'll get lucky and hit a home run, but Chip can't run old dudes into the ground on offense like he can with college kids.

Browns are a youthier team.

So you think that Locker (8), Ponder (12) and Gabbert (10) were good picks? Dalton and Copernicus were drafted in good spots. i.e. Not the first round.

The jury is still out on Ponder and Locker, but I think Ponder will definitely turnout to be good so it doesnt matter if he was pick a few spots to high or whatever.

LJ11

Locker and Ponder are shit QBs, especially Ponder because he's got a monster run game. Maybe he needs more weapons, but the good ones make other players better. Every QB won't have the luxuries that Matt Ryan does! Gabbert's a disaster, can't teach pocket presence, drops his eyes at the first sign of trouble. Dalton isnt that good either imo, can get better, looks like an average QB. Needs to be more consistent.

Newton is the only one, Kap probably because he's in good hands.

eznark

Banned
Locker and Ponder are shit QBs, especially Ponder because he's got a monster run game. Gabbert's a disaster, can't teach pocket presence, drops his eyes at the first sign of trouble. Dalton isnt that good either imo, can get better, looks like an average QB.

Nah, I can still see Ponder being fine. Will he ever be a pro bowler? Probably not, but he can certainly turn into Alex Smith. He had changes year-to-year in the coaching staff as well to deal with. You can't just lose a genius like Bevell and think you won't suffer a bit!

Locker and Ponder are shit QBs, especially Ponder because he's got a monster run game. Maybe he needs more weapons, but the good ones make other players better. Every QB won't have the luxuries that Matt Ryan does! Gabbert's a disaster, can't teach pocket presence, drops his eyes at the first sign of trouble. Dalton isnt that good either imo, can get better, looks like an average QB.

Ponder isnt asked to do anything because they have a monster running game. They run a super conservative offense and basically ask him to not fuck up. If he was in a different situation he could definitely put up better numbers.

I'm not really concerned about the spots they were taken at more of the production, Lockers been riddled by injury but I still believe he can be good. Ponder seems like he can be a pretty good steady Qb for the vikings for awhile not great but steady. Yeah Gabbert was a reach. And the rest of the hyped Qbs in that draft are doing fine Newton/Dalton And Kaep coming on.

eznark

Banned
Amazing that developing into an Alex Smith type QB is now a compliment, hahaha.

Harbaugh da god.

In GB that would be death. If you have AP? What more do you need? I could have said Trent Dilfer and it works.

There's nothing mechanically "wrong" with Ponder and he makes generally good reads. He has had a few really atrocious games, like against Tampa Bay, but no one showed up for Minnesota that game. I don't see a reason he can't be successful. I'd say he has a Hasselbeck like ceiling. Workmanlike, can hit a deep post, and throws a few too many picks to be considered anything other than mediocre.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
Ride with Ponder? If I'm AD, I'm demanding to be traded. Maybe the Vikings could work out a reverse Herschel Walker trade.

In total, Pioli cost Hunt roughly 50 million for Cassel, 30 million for his services, 6.5 million for Haley and another 6 million for RAC. Close to 100 million dollars. All of this for 23 wins.
Ouch... but the new savior has arrived..
AndyReid-DarkKnight.jpg

eznark

Banned
Ride with Ponder? If I'm AD, I'm demanding to be traded. Maybe the Vikings could work out a reverse Herschel Walker trade.

Why? Did you see how upset he was after the reporter told him he didn't break the record. Guy is Drew Brees. He'll stay where he can maximize his personal glory. And punch cops without getting arrested.

Striker

Amazing that developing into an Alex Smith type QB is now a compliment, hahaha.

Harbaugh da god.
I'm guessing it's the new middle ground. Hey, he's not great, but he's not JaMarcus Russell!

Ponder I've only seen a few select games this year, but each one he wasn't very good. Too many boneheaded mistakes, and this is when the situation shouldn't be that hard. With a madman running behind him, and what seems to be a pretty simplified offense, it's just bizarre how he's struggled to have success. It's probably to early to call him out one way or another, but I wouldn't say it's been a great choice for where they've picked him, so far. That's Franchise QB material but so far it's been game managing production.

Vikes have no weapons at all though. Harvin is a headcase and he has been injured. If you watch their games they run the same play where he fakes to AP, then rolls right and throws 5 yards to the TE in the flat all the time. I think if Ponder had weapons to throw to and a coach that left him he could be an okay QB.

effzee

The Chiefs are going to really be surprised by how awful Reid can be.

I went into detail about this.

It all depends on which Reid they get. The one who had a great plan to turn a franchise at the lowest of lows into a playoff team? The one who knew what he wanted and was patient and built from the trenches out?

OR

The Reid we have had since about the 05-06 season where he threw all his plans out the window (especially since his original plan was a 5 year plan to begin with) and every year he seemed to take more and more chances, make really unorthodox moves, and or completely forget about certain positions on the roster (LB, KR/PR, FB).

Regardless of which Reid they get, he still won't know how to manage the clock, save timeouts, or adjust in game to what is actually going on. Oh and it will be a pass happy offense. Maybe not right away but it will.

Now the big question is if Reid puts together a sensible scouting staff, with himself at the top, and they succeed, why couldn't he do that in Philly? Was it really a power struggle between himself, Banner, and Howie? It will suck if KC gets the good Reid with a good FO while we are stuck with boy wonder Howie.

Sorry if posted.

Former Eagle MLB Jeremiah Trotter rips Andy Reid's coaching in big games:

Yeah posted this yesterday.

Spot on about his game day coaching weaknesses. Reid benefited so much from young injury free McNabb running around, and guys like Trotter, Vincent, Taylor, Douglas, and Dawkins on JJ's D carrying the team.

I really wonder what happens to him. If even half the stuff that leaked out is true I dont see how he gets another job as GM.

What stuff? Tell me tell me tell me.

jakncoke

Banned
The jury is still out on Ponder and Locker, but I think Ponder will definitely turnout to be good so it doesnt matter if he was pick a few spots to high or whatever.

They may as well just run direct snaps to AP and have him throw when they need because Ponder is useless

Holy shit! If only Ponder had Megatron.

He wouldnt be able to get it to him, although he could use Stafford routine of close your eyes and chuck it within 10 yards.

Vikings are slowly rebuilding their WR corps.

Harvin is being replaced by jarius Wright.
Jenkins
Simpson is the deep threat.
Rudolph has been ponders safety blanket all season.

would not be suprised if they drafted a WR early in the draft.

Adam Caplan ‏ @ caplannfl
Banner spent time with Chip Kelly's agent yesterday, source said. Expect that relationship/communication to heat up over next 24/48 hours.

He was just as terrible when he had Percy and they will never succeed with him unless Peterson runs for 250 every game

Never succeed? Aren't they in the playoffs? They also beat the Texans with AD only rushing for 89, and I believe he had similar stats against SF when they beat them.

Top Bottom