• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL 11 |OT| - Same glitches, different physics

Marvie_3

Banned
BigJonsson said:
My player just got stuck in the corner in the offensive zone in a be a pro game, could not move at all, could not leave the ice after hitting B, my team was cycling in the neutral zone waiting for me to get out :lol
That happened to me once last year in an OTP game. The other people on my team were screaming at me to get out of the zone even after I told them to just ice the puck. :lol

Malvolio

I'm really liking the game after 5 or 6 OTP Drop In matches. While the feature list feels pretty much unchanged from NHL10 (Ultimate Team is worthless to me), the feel of the game is closer to real hockey in my opinion. So far I haven't seen people become untouchable deke gods who can magnetically stick to the boards to avoid big hits. Cross crease passes seem to be defended better by players and the AI. I've also not seen people running off wrap arounds one after another looking for the constant cheese goals. Then again this is day one so this could all change, but I'm really enjoying myself so far.

Marvie_3

Banned
Malvolio said:
I'm really liking the game after 5 or 6 OTP Drop In matches. While the feature list feels pretty much unchanged from NHL10 (Ultimate Team is worthless to me), the feel of the game is closer to real hockey in my opinion. So far I haven't seen people become untouchable deke gods who can magnetically stick to the boards to avoid big hits. Cross crease passes seem to be defended better by players and the AI. I've also not seen people running off wrap arounds one after another looking for the constant cheese goals. Then again this is day one so this could all change, but I'm really enjoying myself so far.
The top shelf and short side goals are about the only things I haven't liked so far. Everything else feels great. Haven't tried playing goalie yet but I want to see how the puck physics help/hurt my playing style.

Marvie_3

Banned
Physics are fuckin wonky as shit. Just got tripped from behind and did some weird ass helicopter spin in the air. :lol :lol :lol

RS4- said:
Ok tried it again, got Stamkos and Hedman for Schenn and Kaberle.

I can't get the CPU to trade anything. According to the trade block, teams REALLY want goalies, but every team rejects my trade saying they have enough goalies on the roster. Then I offer a winger for a defenseman to a team looking for offense and has a team surplus of defense, and they reject saying they are looking to bolster their defense. What the shit.

RS4-

funkmastergeneral said:
I can't get the CPU to trade anything. According to the trade block, teams REALLY want goalies, but every team rejects my trade saying they have enough goalies on the roster. Then I offer a winger for a defenseman to a team looking for offense and has a team surplus of defense, and they reject saying they are looking to bolster their defense. What the shit.

Yeah the uhh, trade block, trade rumor stuff is a mess; same with the "we're looking for offense or ___"

gillFTR

Kingpen said:
Tis a sad day for me. I used to relish this day and buy both hockey titles and give you guys a detailed analysis of the 'little things' each title had.

I'm not buying a hockey title this year at all due to several reasons. One, lack of competition, which I think is a bad thing with 2k not able to release one. Two, EA's game is pretty much very similar to how it was in the past. Three - I'm getting married in a few weeks, so I don't have as much time to devote toward this.

I hope you guys all enjoy NHL 11 though, since it basically is the only game out there this year.

I got the game but after playing it I agree I kind of regret it now(skipped out on 10 last year). Only thing they changed was the physics OTP is still broken. What they should of done is have you make a FORWARD / DEFENSE / GOALIE instead of just a skater and a goalie...It's fucken ridiculous when im a playmaker and everyone else chooses a forward slot, but I cant play D because my skater has playmaker stats...This was my biggest problem from last year and its unchanged. The changing of passing was also good for 1v1 online but for OTP playing with micless people it just makes things that more fustrating.

Lothars

Kingpen said:
Tis a sad day for me. I used to relish this day and buy both hockey titles and give you guys a detailed analysis of the 'little things' each title had.

I'm not buying a hockey title this year at all due to several reasons. One, lack of competition, which I think is a bad thing with 2k not able to release one. Two, EA's game is pretty much very similar to how it was in the past. Three - I'm getting married in a few weeks, so I don't have as much time to devote toward this.

I hope you guys all enjoy NHL 11 though, since it basically is the only game out there this year.

I understand but the lack of competition doesn't bother me, I do wish the 2k series was bringing out a hockey game this year but NHL 11 is still a must buy because of CHL teams plus to me they still are amazing hockey games.

gillFTR

yodathesoda said:
Anybody having the game hang when loading a drop in game?
Happens to me at least half the time I'm trying to join.

yah for 360 it just stays in the loading screen for a longtime when I try a drop on game on OTP.

So for when you start in Be a GM mode there's a draft with real CHL players, but all the players that were actually in the real 2010 draft aren't there. Are these essentially the leftover players who weren't drafted? There's some guy named Simon Jodoin who's rated the second best prospect in the draft but I never heard of him.

Giard

My passes suck online...they keep bouncing off my teammates' sticks :(
Is it cause my passing stats suck? (65 I think) Or do I hold RT too long?

Giard said:
My passes suck online...they keep bouncing off my teammates' sticks :(
Is it cause my passing stats suck? (65 I think) Or do I hold RT too long?

I noticed the same thing, the passing was completely different than when I was playing against the CPU.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
bran said:
Woooooooooot

ogxwg6.jpg

2epj6df.jpg
NICE.

Just got my copy (PS3) from Superstore on the cheap thanks to a bucketload of coupons from the gas bar. Time to get stuck in.

Well, I got jumped in today. Beatbox and I played 8 games before we finally won a match. It was brutal playing with people who would constantly try to score themselves. That and always calling the puck away from the goalie, FFS we lost so many goal because people do that.

BobTheFork said:
Well, I got jumped in today. Beatbox and I played 8 games before we finally won a match. It was brutal playing with people who would constantly try to score themselves. That and always calling the puck away from the goalie, FFS we lost so many goal because people do that.

So fucking glad they fixed that shitty goalie invisible wall from NHL08/09/10. Game is fucking rock solid and hip checks are tremendous amount of fun! :D

JWong

Banned
bishoptl said:
NICE.

Just got my copy (PS3) from Superstore on the cheap thanks to a bucketload of coupons from the gas bar. Time to get stuck in.
Got mines from work. 8)

for my brother...

Erdrick

I bought this game today for the PS3. As someone who never really played the games seriously since like... NHL94 (I tried NHL98 back on the PS, and liked it.) on the Genesis, I am seriously overwhelmed. Now I know what my dad must feel like in regards to the control schemes. I went to the 94-style control scheme but it feels so limiting compared to what I could do with the current controls. I also was destroyed like 7-0 after 2 periods on the regular difficulty. So much detail and so many options...

I can't even figure out how to do one-timers with the 94-control style. Wasn't it just pass and hit the shoot button before the pass reaches the player? It seems that's not the case now with this.

Sorry, I'm sure it's a really great game, but as I said above: I am totally overwhelmed with all the advancements the series has gotten over the past... decade and a half since I seriously played this series.

Any advice for a beginner?

Erdrick said:
I bought this game today for the PS3. As someone who never really played the games seriously since like... NHL94 (I tried NHL98 back on the PS, and liked it.) on the Genesis, I am seriously overwhelmed. Now I know what my dad must feel like in regards to the control schemes. I went to the 94-style control scheme but it feels so limiting compared to what I could do with the current controls. I also was destroyed like 7-0 after 2 periods on the regular difficulty. So much detail and so many options...

I can't even figure out how to do one-timers with the 94-control style. Wasn't it just pass and hit the shoot button before the pass reaches the player? It seems that's not the case now with this.

Sorry, I'm sure it's a really great game, but as I said above: I am totally overwhelmed with all the advancements the series has gotten over the past... decade and a half since I seriously played this series.

Any advice for a beginner?

stick to pro difficulty right now, maybe start out using the nhl94 controls until you are comfortable with the feel of the game then gradually learn how to use the default controls, unless you really start picking things up quickly I would recommend you not think about playing online as you will get eaten alive

there are different "game styles" (casual/default/hardcore) in the game settings menu that you can make the game more accessible by putting on assists for passing and shooting that may help you get more enjoyment out of the game in the short term

btw yes 1-timers are still pass then shoot, the ones you remember where the shooter winds up big are done by passing then performing a slapshot (down on the r-stick then up on the r-stick). These aren't as important nowadays as it's easier and more effective to do 1-timer wristshots, just pass then press up on the r-stick as the pass is arriving, the timing needs to be more precise than it did in nhl94, works pretty much the same but there is less chance your shooter who whiff on the shot attempt

I really suck and I'm working on it but I got my first online goal. It was even reviewed: I drove in hard and hit shoot with the puck in the air. They had to review it to see if it was high sticking. I need to reread the manual and then do more tutorials because I can move and skate but I can't handle the puck at all and I can't use the other buttons for help.

BobTheFork said:
I really suck and I'm working on it but I got my first online goal. It was even reviewed: I drove in hard and hit shoot with the puck in the air. They had to review it to see if it was high sticking. I need to reread the manual and then do more tutorials because I can move and skate but I can't handle the puck at all and I can't use the other buttons for help.

Let me know if you want to play online!

-Jrod87

Giard

I think I found a shitty bug.

I just intercepted a pass from my own goalie, resulting in a goal in my own net. :/
My skater did the gesture as if he was screening the opponent goalie, and there it went.

It happened also when one of my teammates tried to pass me the puck, my guy raised his stick on his own and missed the pass. Not only do passes bounce off everyone's stick, I can't get them either cause my guy tries to intercept/redirect the puck.

Pretty sure it's Def Awareness that makes you automatically try to redirect flying pucks, and mine is at 99...think it might be bugged.
I keep screwing my teammates that way :(

Either that or it's not bugged and I totally suck

Marvie_3

Banned
Giard said:
I think I found a shitty bug.

I just intercepted a pass from my own goalie, resulting in a goal in my own net. :/
My skater did the gesture as if he was screening the opponent goalie, and there it went.

It happened also when one of my teammates tried to pass me the puck, my guy raised his stick on his own and missed the pass. Not only do passes bounce off everyone's stick, I can't get them either cause my guy tries to intercept/redirect the puck.

Pretty sure it's Def Awareness that makes you automatically try to redirect flying pucks, and mine is at 99...think it might be bugged.
I keep screwing my teammates that way :(

Either that or it's not bugged and I totally suck
It's an EA game. There's bound to be a ton of bugs.

Why does Andrew Ladd win the Selke every year? Why did Kris Versteeg just win the Art Ross? Why did Henrik Zetterberg just win the Masterton, what the hell hardships did he overcome? This game is weird.

Marvie_3

Banned
revolverjgw said:
Why does Andrew Ladd win the Selke every year? Why did Kris Versteeg just win the Art Ross? Why did Henrik Zetterberg just win the Masterton, what the hell hardships did he overcome? This game is weird.
Because Andrew Ladd is awesome. :D

Versteeg....I got nothin there.

bishoptl said:
Did you not see his wedding pictures?

http://outofbounds.nbcsports.com/ZetterbergWedding.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
:lol :lol :lol

Entropia

No One Remembers
Am I the only one playing on the PS3? :lol

Also, I suck at this game. How do I win faces? :\ do I just move the R-Stick all about??

Controlling the Goaltender when trying to clear the puck pisses me off, especially from behind the net. I'll try and pass it to a nearby defender, but the stupid goaltender will clear it straight to the slot front of an EMPTY NET, ala Brodeur.

Also, is it me or are the fans cheering "Nabby Nabby Nabby" at SJ Sharks home ice? :lol :lol

Marvie_3

Banned
BigJonsson said:
Ah fuck, the Wild drafted me :(
Last year when I was starting my goalie Be A Pro in NHL 10, I was drafted by the Wild 4 straight times. I gave up on trying to get on a different team. :lol

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Marvie_3 said:
Last year when I was starting my goalie Be A Pro in NHL 10, I was drafted by the Wild 4 straight times. I gave up on trying to get on a different team. :lol

The exact same thing happened to me. I think it was a glitch.

Every year I want to get into this game because I play the demo, like the flow and gameplay, see all the INSANELY positive reviews for it, but...

After I play it for a while I seriously start to wonder if I'm playing a different game because of the shitty A.I.

I'm playing on All-Star Hardcore and I'm running into the same problems that creep up every year in this game -- i.e. the brick wall goalies, my teammates rarely putting pressure on when playing D, and the way any time I take the puck over the blue line I get BLITZED by 2 to 3 CPU players, getting the puck pokechecked away in a millisecond.

Honestly, I'm not the best player in the world, and I'll freely admit that. But I'm so sick of the cheap A.I. in this game. Pro is too easy, and Hardcore feels better because it feels like the CPU makes more mistakes (barely), so I like that setting. But I still can't get past these same issues.

Anyone have any thoughts/advice? I think I'm improving, yet the score does not reflect that. I rarely score, even though it feels like I'm putting together good shots. Setting up an offense though in this game without getting the puck poked away is proving to be impossible for me. Again.

Rapping Granny said:
Who's up for some HUT team online games?

PS3 version.

Add me: Jrod87 and that goes for anyone else with the PS3 version.

Last year the Devils drafted me and again the Devils just drafted me. I hate having to push hard offensively because Marty is between the pipes =(.

RS4-

The Isles drafted me first overall; kind of annoyed that I have to play 40 games just to unlock stuff for EASHL games.

Phthisis

CartridgeBlower said:
Every year I want to get into this game because I play the demo, like the flow and gameplay, see all the INSANELY positive reviews for it, but...

After I play it for a while I seriously start to wonder if I'm playing a different game because of the shitty A.I.

I'm playing on All-Star Hardcore and I'm running into the same problems that creep up every year in this game -- i.e. the brick wall goalies, my teammates rarely putting pressure on when playing D, and the way any time I take the puck over the blue line I get BLITZED by 2 to 3 CPU players, getting the puck pokechecked away in a millisecond.

Honestly, I'm not the best player in the world, and I'll freely admit that. But I'm so sick of the cheap A.I. in this game. Pro is too easy, and Hardcore feels better because it feels like the CPU makes more mistakes (barely), so I like that setting. But I still can't get past these same issues.

Anyone have any thoughts/advice? I think I'm improving, yet the score does not reflect that. I rarely score, even though it feels like I'm putting together good shots. Setting up an offense though in this game without getting the puck poked away is proving to be impossible for me. Again.

You can adjust CPU difficulty and CPU strategy adjustments separately from game difficulty. You could also handicap your team in the settings by lowering your shot power or accuracy while keeping it on Pro. Just mess with the balance. I usually spend the first month after the game comes out running exhibitions and tweaking settings until I get it just right.

Ok the stick checking on the CPU is seriously really stupid right now. It's complete buttlshit, I lose the puck if they stickcheck, they still have the puck after I constantly stickcheck them 5 times until I get a penalty.

RS4-

Well it looks like EA's servers are going through some sort of problems, can't find any games or drop in matches.

Top Bottom