• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL 11 |OT| - Same glitches, different physics

I just wanted to put down my thoughts about how online VS feels so far. I'm pretty much exclusively a 1v1 online VS player. I dabble in OTP once in a while but not yet in 11. This will probably end up being pretty long, but I hope it gets some views and I'd love to hear what other people think as well.

Overall it's been a very frustrating experience so far. It feels weird to say that since I've been winning lots of games (32-6-1, #7 on PSN as of a few hours ago), but it almost feels like I've been winning by accident. There have been very few goals scored where I actually feel a sense of accomplishment. Usually it's fluky rebounds and my opponent's mistakes (his goalie passing right to me for example) that lead to goals.

Passing:
I want to like the new passing system, I really do, but it's been tough to get used to. I feel like the time it takes to charge up a hard pass is usually wasted because 6 or 7 times out of 10 the receiving player can't even take it. Other times I'll end up with several touch passes in a row unintentionally because of a combination of online lag plus the fact that passes feel a little laggy already due to the fact that lifting the button is what actually passes instead of pressing. I really am trying to get used to it and I think I will eventually, but I think it could use some tuning.

Skating:
The skating overall feels better than the past couple of years. I like the hustle feature and I feel like the skating is just more responsive than it has been before, so that's a plus.

Defense:
I've seen people comment on the ineffectiveness of poke checks and I have to agree wholeheartedly. It's extremely difficult to knock a guy off the puck in this game. Personally, I've never been much of a dangler. I've been more of a pass the puck a lot type of player, which puts me at a distinct disadvantage so far this year. Now, I'm not blaming EA or whatever, just saying that my style of play happened to be nerfed a bit in favor of people who like to hold on to the puck forever. It is what it is.

Scoring:
This is a big one. So far, 40ish games in, it feels like it's WAY to hard to score in online VS. Like I said above, most of my goals seem fluky and lucky. I tend to severely outshoot most of my opponents but the score rarely reflects that. There have been a lot of net-front scrambles with 2 or 3 shots and rebounds in a second or two and most of the time the goalie makes every save. In these situations in past years goals happened much more often.

Another part of this is one timers. I understand and agree that in 10, one timers were a little too easy to score on and many people felt that way. So it's understandable that they would try to change that, but the way they did it is very frustrating, at least to me. They seem to have made it so that if a defender's stick is anywhere near the path of a passed puck, it'll act like a magnet and said defender with suck up that pass like a freaking Dyson. I feel like this would be much more acceptable if the puck were to deflect off of the d-man's stick instead of just sticking to it. The way it is now, it automatically gives full control of the puck immediately to the other team, when in reality the puck would deflect somewhere and people would have to go get it.

Random other thoughts/bugs:
Since the demo, I've hated the new line change meter animation. It adds a completely unnecessary delay to changing lines and sometimes the line change meters don't pop up at all. Once in a while, between plays, the bottom section that shows the chosen strategy will pop up, but the line meters never rise up, so I'm stuck hitting the buttons and not being able to see which lines are in what condition and thus just have to blindly hope that I don't put out a dead line.

That's it for now. I don't mean for this to be a whining post, I really do like the game and like I said, I am winning games after all. I just wish I felt like I was "winning" instead of just avoiding losing if you catch my drift.

Anybody actually make it through this whole thing and have some thoughts to add?

MScoutsDCI said:
Another part of this is one timers. I understand and agree that in 10, one timers were a little too easy to score on and many people felt that way. So it's understandable that they would try to change that, but the way they did it is very frustrating, at least to me. They seem to have made it so that if a defender's stick is anywhere near the path of a passed puck, it'll act like a magnet and said defender with suck up that pass like a freaking Dyson. I feel like this would be much more acceptable if the puck were to deflect off of the d-man's stick instead of just sticking to it. The way it is now, it automatically gives full control of the puck immediately to the other team, when in reality the puck would deflect somewhere and people would have to go get it.

This is also very true. Waaaay to many one-time attempts get broken up by the CPU, and as you said, it's not that they just deflect it, but they literally gain full possession. Really frustrating.

Entropia

No One Remembers
shagg_187 said:
Fuck this game! FUCK THIS GAME! Fucking 1v1 is frustrating as fuck!

:lol Yeah dude, I've been having a Hell of a time... I get way competitive when I play online so that only makes it worse.

EDIT: Anyone on PSN feel free to add me: Pongmo

daevv

I have a problem. Anyone encounter this:

A friend and I were trying tonight to use headsets while playing against each other but neither of us could hear the other. Were on the PS3 and the XMB voice chat was working fine. Is there a option or setting we might be missing while in game?

~d

daevv said:
I have a problem. Anyone encounter this:

A friend and I were trying tonight to use headsets while playing against each other but neither of us could hear the other. Were on the PS3 and the XMB voice chat was working fine. Is there a option or setting we might be missing while in game?

~d
dunno but I know on the 360 there were rampant headset problems with NHL 09 until Party Chat was enabled, and then everyone just started using that instead.

Hows everyone HUT team looking like?

Shane Doan - Anze Kopitar - Patrick Eaves
James Neal- Some scrub - Some guy
Some guy- Roman Cervenka - Andre Petersson
Ethan Moreau- Jeff Skinner- some guy

Drewskie- Pothier
Obrien- Cumisky
some guy- some guy

Cam Ward
someguy

bumpkin

Hmm, anybody play as the LA Kings much? Does the play-by-play guy still pronounce Marc-Andre Cliche's last name as "clee-shay"? It's supposed to be "cleesh". :lol

On a side note, I know it's AHL players' goal to make it up to the NHL, but I really hope we get to keep Cliche another year on the Manchester Monarchs (the Kings' AHL affiliate). He was awesome last season.

Entropia

No One Remembers
Rapping Granny said:
Hows everyone HUT team looking like?

Shane Doan - Anze Kopitar - Patrick Eaves
James Neal- Some scrub - Some guy
Some guy- Roman Cervenka - Andre Petersson
Ethan Moreau- Jeff Skinner- some guy

Drewskie- Pothier
Obrien- Cumisky
some guy- some guy

Cam Ward
someguy

Christ... the only recognizable name I have is Kris Draper. :lol

On a side note: I was playing in the tournament last night online. And I'm not sure if this guy was glitching the game to do this, but several times he had both of his goalies in net... I ended up beating him so that was good. I even scored when he had both goalies in net, with 0.7 secs left in the 2nd period.

Marvie_3

Banned
bumpkin said:
Hmm, anybody play as the LA Kings much? Does the play-by-play guy still pronounce Marc-Andre Cliche's last name as "clee-shay"? It's supposed to be "cleesh". :lol

On a side note, I know it's AHL players' goal to make it up to the NHL, but I really hope we get to keep Cliche another year on the Manchester Monarchs (the Kings' AHL affiliate). He was awesome last season.
It would be nice if EA got off their asses and at least made sure names were pronounced correctly. It seems like half of them are wrong.

bumpkin said:

Are you in Manchester? I've lived 15 minutes away from Manchester most of my life but never saw the team play.

Wolf

GO HABS GO
Picked up this game on Wednesday, so far the passing is the most annoying thing I've encountered but I have gotten a lil more used to it.

Online record is 4-3-1, my 3 losses were timeouts that I don't think had anything to do with my hardline connection..in two of those matches, the game kept looping back to a face-off endlessly, we would play 4 or 5 mins and then all off a sudden get put back to the same face-off 4 mins ago...then eventually connection lost.

I am having fun playing be a gm mode, I took my time to recreate the Jets, and with Bob Essensa as my GM and the Finnish flash back where he belongs the Stanley Cups will soon be mine.

Overall I'd say I'm content with this game, it's not blowing me away compared to last year but its entertaining.

Chrange

Banned
Marvie_3 said:
It would be nice if EA got off their asses and at least made sure names were pronounced correctly. It seems like half of them are wrong.

It's really funny when it's pronounced incorrectly one time, then correctly the next.

bumpkin

funkmastergeneral said:
Are you in Manchester? I've lived 15 minutes away from Manchester most of my life but never saw the team play.
I work in Manchester and have season tickets to the Monarchs. It's a good time, especially if you love hockey. I highly recommend going to a game sometime.

expy

Banned
Marvie_3 said:
That's asking for a lot... Especially at $59.99-$69.99.

Wonder if you guys can help me out.

I wanna get back into some NHL, but the last one I bought was 08. I'm not very hardcore into the simulation stuff/managing teams, I just wanna play seasons.

Do you think NHL 10 would be good enough for me? Its a hell of a lot cheaper too, so that helps. It's just the new physics system that seems like a big step up from previous iterations.

expy

Banned
betweenthewheels said:

I wanna get back into some NHL, but the last one I bought was 08. I'm not very hardcore into the simulation stuff/managing teams, I just wanna play seasons.

Do you think NHL 10 would be good enough for me? Its a hell of a lot cheaper too, so that helps. It's just the new physics system that seems like a big step up from previous iterations.
The new physics system isn't THAT much of a difference really. Once you get used to it, it's just like any other NHL game since 07. 10 should do you just fine if you just want to play seasons.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
How do you get to the point where you can put NHLers on your HUT. I have Bertuzzi, but I can't get him in the line-up?

Marvie_3

Banned
expy said:
That's asking for a lot... Especially at $59.99-$69.99.
Not really. It wouldn't take them that long to re-record the names during the recording sessions for the new dialogue each year. It's just pure laziness.

betweenthewheels said:

If you don't care all that much about 100% accurate rosters or the physics, then I'd definitely go with NHL 10. The Be A GM mode is almost identical with the exception of RFAs and preseason games.

expy

Banned
Marvie_3 said:
Not really. It wouldn't take them that long to re-record the names during the recording sessions for the new dialogue each year. It's just pure laziness.
I was being sarcastic... $59.00 - $.69.99 is way too much to pay for this game.

Marvie_3 said:
If you don't care all that much about 100% accurate rosters or the physics, then I'd definitely go with NHL 10. The Be A GM mode is almost identical with the exception of RFAs and preseason games.
Don't know about the 360 version, but on the PS3 you can have custom roster files downloaded from the net. http://www.ultimatehockey.info/

belvedere

Junior Butler
Every year it's something.

This year the Blues play at the St. Louis Arena, which was tore down about 16 years ago.

:lol

Is it just me or did the commentary get even shittier this year, I mean I just dumped the puck down and goalie picks up behind the net and the guy screams ' WHAT A SAVE '.

Lothars

betweenthewheels said:

Well the only other thing I would recommend is if you are interested in CHL teams than get NHL 11 but if you do want the new features than go for NHL 11, if not than I would say go for NHL 10, Myself there's no question I will be buying NHL 11 ASAP.

JWong

Banned
Kinda late, but here was the midnight launch at Vancouver. People really want to see the Sedins.
tumblrl8cztwpidf1qzfzmy.jpg

Can anyone explain why I can't play with multiple people on one side in Hockey Ultimate Team? It's as if EA can't be not retarded about those things.

JWong

Banned
Cherry picking is the worst.

The charge puck passing makes it less viable, but it can still happen a lot. Defensemen just have to stay back.

Marvie_3

Banned
JWong said:
Cherry picking is the worst.

The charge puck passing makes it less viable, but it can still happen a lot. Defensemen just have to stay back.
Why should defensemen have to sit back there and babysit the whole game?

JWong

Banned
Marvie_3 said:
Why should defensemen have to sit back there and babysit the whole game?
They shouldn't, but they have to if there are cherry pickers.

I always stick in front of the forwards, or I try to take out the passing lanes.

Marvie_3

Banned
bran said:
A big fuck you to "hey we fixed all the glitches":

http://www.easports.com/media/play/video/35433641
That's not a glitch. That's just the awesomeness that is the Blackhawks defense. :D

JWong said:
They shouldn't, but they have to if there are cherry pickers.

I always stick in front of the forwards, or I try to take out the passing lanes.
I almost wish they'd tie your attributes to your position score. If you're not playing your position properly, your attributes drop like a rock. 85 rated Johnny Cherrypicker suddenly becomes a 55 for hanging out at center ice all game.

Malvolio

Even more annoying are the terrible cherry pickers that sit at the blue line and constantly call for passes from the goalie when there are no clear lanes for the pass. I wish there was a way to vote people out, but you know that would end up being abused.

After playing a few games of online VS mode today I gotta say I'm kind of regretting getting rid of NHL10, it just plays a funner more wide open game. I like all of the new improvements in NHL11, but defense for me this year is way too easy. I also think the default game speed online needs to be increased as its near impossible to get people to overskate and get out of position on defense, most games are determined by who gives away the first breakaway since no goalie can stop the automatic glitch goal.

I'm not even touching online or offline VS mode again until something is done as I really don't think it's possible for anyone to score a goal on me the way the game is playing, and despite my ability to win every game with relative ease it's just not fun to me, even if I decide not to use the breakaway glitch goal myself. I'll continue playing EASHL with GAF as the amount of human error in those games makes things interesting but I'm kind of bummed out.

Marvie_3

Banned
Malvolio said:
Even more annoying are the terrible cherry pickers that sit at the blue line and constantly call for passes from the goalie when there are no clear lanes for the pass. I wish there was a way to vote people out, but you know that would end up being abused.
They could easily fix this. If you're too far away from the net, the goalie holds the puck. If there is someone in the passing lane, the goalie holds the puck. Doesn't matter if you're calling for it or not.

The voting thing would totally get abused. Goalies would let in 1 goal on 50 shots and get kicked out.

TheVisualizer said:
After playing a few games of online VS mode today I gotta say I'm kind of regretting getting rid of NHL10, it just plays a funner more wide open game. I like all of the new improvements in NHL11, but defense for me this year is way too easy. I also think the default game speed online needs to be increased as its near impossible to get people to overskate and get out of position on defense, most games are determined by who gives away the first breakaway since no goalie can stop the automatic glitch goal.

I'm not even touching online or offline VS mode again until something is done as I really don't think it's possible for anyone to score a goal on me the way the game is playing, and despite my ability to win every game with relative ease it's just not fun to me, even if I decide not to use the breakaway glitch goal myself. I'll continue playing EASHL with GAF as the amount of human error in those games makes things interesting but I'm kind of bummed out.
Come play for Team 1. :D

10 OT losses. :(

JWong

Banned
Marvie_3 said:
I almost wish they'd tie your attributes to your position score. If you're not playing your position properly, your attributes drop like a rock. 85 rated Johnny Cherrypicker suddenly becomes a 55 for hanging out at center ice all game.
That would be an interesting mechanic. Probably should drastically affect puck handling stats over time so that the stretch passes would fail.

I could see what you're saying. If they are out of position for a long time, like sticking around in their offensive zone blue line, they'll just lose the ability to handle stretch passes. That shouldn't take away the fact that defensive breakdowns do happen and fowards will jump on the chance. Those opportunities would only need a few moments being out of position.

Marvie_3

Banned
JWong said:
That would be an interesting mechanic. Probably should drastically affect puck handling stats over time so that the stretch passes would fail.

I could see what you're saying. If they are out of position for a long time, like sticking around in their offensive zone blue line, they'll just lose the ability to handle stretch passes. That shouldn't take away the fact that defensive breakdowns do happen and fowards will jump on the chance. Those opportunities would only need a few moments being out of position.
I get that. I just meant the people that are constantly going for the stretch plays and cherry picking. That's what I want done away with.

Marvie_3

Banned
TheVisualizer said:
We have just as many OT losses, EASHL isn't easy, but VS mode is, there's a big difference when you have control of all 5 guys.
Yeah, but you guys have twice as many wins. :lol

Top Bottom