• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL 11 |OT| - Same glitches, different physics

Malvolio

As someone who plays mostly OTP but only has a PS3, I'd like to see us put a club together if only to have a pool of players that are interested in playing with fellow Gaffers. I've taken the liberty of creating an NeoGAF Online Team and would be happy to invite anyone that's looking for some casual play.

I thought about creating a separate thread in the GAF online forum but from what I understand the PS3 NHL userbase is pretty small and to be honest I don't have the dedication that the 360 crew seems to have, so this will be just a casual club for those of us that are tired of the players in the public matches. However if the mods feel that this is outside the scope of this particular thread I'll open one in the online forum just to keep the clutter out. With that in mind, find my PSN ID in my profile and shoot me a friend request and I'll get you invited. Let's keep the invite requests to the PS3 only as to not make a mess of this thread.

Marvie_3

Banned
Malvolio said:
As someone who plays mostly OTP but only has a PS3, I'd like to see us put a club together if only to have a pool of players that are interested in playing with fellow Gaffers. I've taken the liberty of creating an NeoGAF Online Team and would be happy to invite anyone that's looking for some casual play.

I thought about creating a separate thread in the GAF online forum but from what I understand the PS3 NHL userbase is pretty small and to be honest I don't have the dedication that the 360 crew seems to have, so this will be just a casual club for those of us that are tired of the players in the public matches. However if the mods feel that this is outside the scope of this particular thread I'll open one in the online forum just to keep the clutter out. With that in mind, find my PSN ID in my profile and shoot me a friend request and I'll get you invited. Let's keep the invite requests to the PS3 only as to not make a mess of this thread.
You should post about this in the NHL thread in the OT as well. There were several people wondering about a PS3 GAF club recently. You could probably snatch up a few additional players there.

Malvolio

Marvie_3 said:
You should post about this in the NHL thread in the OT as well. There were several people wondering about a PS3 GAF club recently. You could probably snatch up a few additional players there.

Done, thanks Marvie.

I've been playing only ranked team online so far but I would like to get into a club, I'll check it out. I getting better at my D but I cannot handle the puck at all. Seriously I can't move more than a few feet without it getting stripped. Moving the right stick side to side doesn't seem to work; when I do it my gut goes into shooting stance and I'm being very careful about not pressing up or down.

Entropia

No One Remembers
Malvolio said:

I'm down.. PSN name is Pongmo.

Warning: I'm pretty bad. :|

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Was kinda late getting this

So far...I don't like it over NHL10

That's not to say this game isn't without its merits, but everything seems...so awkward!

I'm also more of a passer than a dangler, but wow...I turn down the pass interceptions and they just vacuum those cross crease passes into their sticks

Granted, NHL10 isn't the most realistic depiction of the sport, but at least it was fun (barring those fucking stupid game breaking glitches).

NHL11, I feel like I'm struggling with everything and tweaking the sliders doesn't seem to be doing diddly squat.

One-timers are pretty much useless now. And I'm relying more on cheesy corner wrist shots that shouldn't go in as often as they do.

The middle slot is pretty much impossible to get into. No matter what you do, if you skate in there, you're going to get poke-checked. When I'm not doing the cheesy wristers, I've been passing them back to the point all the time.

Checking is a pain in the freakin neck. The canned animations make it seem less fluid. Like there's a slight pause before it decides what to do I SWEAR that I had hit the check button on time, but they just skate right by me.

I do love the hell out of adding the CHL, and love seeing all the players from there. HOWEVER, with the way they tweaked the game now to include it, it's been more or less impossible for me to make any trade whatsoever. No team can take 2 - 1 players, and everybody doesn't seem to want what I have to offer. God...I miss the days of 2K when the computer would find a combination for you :(

Kuro Madoushi said:
Was kinda late getting this

So far...I don't like it over NHL10

That's not to say this game isn't without its merits, but everything seems...so awkward!

I'm also more of a passer than a dangler, but wow...I turn down the pass interceptions and they just vacuum those cross crease passes into their sticks

Granted, NHL10 isn't the most realistic depiction of the sport, but at least it was fun (barring those fucking stupid game breaking glitches).

NHL11, I feel like I'm struggling with everything and tweaking the sliders doesn't seem to be doing diddly squat.

One-timers are pretty much useless now. And I'm relying more on cheesy corner wrist shots that shouldn't go in as often as they do.

The middle slot is pretty much impossible to get into. No matter what you do, if you skate in there, you're going to get poke-checked. When I'm not doing the cheesy wristers, I've been passing them back to the point all the time.

Checking is a pain in the freakin neck. The canned animations make it seem less fluid. Like there's a slight pause before it decides what to do I SWEAR that I had hit the check button on time, but they just skate right by me.

I do love the hell out of adding the CHL, and love seeing all the players from there. HOWEVER, with the way they tweaked the game now to include it, it's been more or less impossible for me to make any trade whatsoever. No team can take 2 - 1 players, and everybody doesn't seem to want what I have to offer. God...I miss the days of 2K when the computer would find a combination for you :(
I'll just say that the checking starts when you let go of the stick, not when you click it in the player's direction. You really do have to time it with a delay.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Yep, checking is very much about the anticipation and leading into the hit as opposed to a hitscan weapon. Similar to the real thing. :D I've got it down to a science now, and channeling my inner Scott Stevens has never been more fun. The new physics aren't quite Euphoria, but they're much improved over NHL 10.

sefskillz

shitting in the alley outside your window
absolutely in love with hockey ultimate team, as i figured i would be. just landed henrik lundqvist in a pack, life is good!

Marvie_3

Banned
bishoptl said:
Yep, checking is very much about the anticipation and leading into the hit as opposed to a hitscan weapon. Similar to the real thing. :D I've got it down to a science now, and channeling my inner Scott Stevens has never been more fun. The new physics aren't quite Euphoria, but they're much improved over NHL 10.
Ever since I switched my player type to a grinder, I've been dominating people online with my checking. I've laid out plenty of guys Brian Campbell style.

In before Mitchell/Toews, bish. ;)

RS4-

Marvie_3 said:
Ever since I switched my player type to a grinder, I've been dominating people online with my checking. I've laid out plenty of guys Brian Campbell style.

You're missing out on the people team 2 destroys :lol

Finally finished a season of BAP, it's so...boring. There's no way I'm playing another season just to get the other unlocks.

Marvie_3

Banned
RS4- said:
You're missing out on the people team 2 destroys :lol

Finally finished a season of BAP, it's so...boring. There's no way I'm playing another season just to get the other unlocks.
I'm maybe 15 games in and I'm struggling to finish one season. Part of that is probably due to the fact that I was drafted by Florida. Sucks being on a line with Radek Dvorak and Steven Reinprecht. :lol

Rapping Granny said:
Is it just me or did the commentary get even shittier this year, I mean I just dumped the puck down and goalie picks up behind the net and the guy screams ' WHAT A SAVE '.

It's always been a clusterfuck. There's been so many slapshots where the goalie has to dive backwards to save it and barely does and the announcer says some shit about "Why did he even take that shot? It didn't even have a chance of going in!"

Malvolio

Marvie_3 said:

I'm loving the hip-check option. Nothing better than funneling the puck carrier to the boards and dropping down so he flips over you. Tough to pull off, but oh so satisfying. Makes it easy to walk away with the puck too. Playing a solid Dman in OTP is still some of the most fun this game has to offer. Especially when you have forwards that can do something with the puck when you move it up to them.

My friend and I play in the Hockey league, and for some reason he is 83 overall while I was 71. He somehow has a booster pack on his guy but he didn't buy it, is this a glitch or is it something he did, maybe the gear he chose gave him the boost?

Lastly, what the heck does "hustle" (L3) do? I press it and don't see any sign of hustle.

Marvie_3 said:
I'm maybe 15 games in and I'm struggling to finish one season. Part of that is probably due to the fact that I was drafted by Florida. Sucks being on a line with Radek Dvorak and Steven Reinprecht. :lol

That's why you pick your team instead of drafting. :D

Is there any real difference from drafting as compared to picking?

Lion Heart said:
My friend and I play in the Hockey league, and for some reason he is 83 overall while I was 71. He somehow has a booster pack on his guy but he didn't buy it, is this a glitch or is it something he did, maybe the gear he chose gave him the boost?

Lastly, what the heck does "hustle" (L3) do? I press it and don't see any sign of hustle.

He probably played offline in be a pro, that's where you unlock stuff. Overall I think is done with how you distribute your points a lot of the time. Mine was only a 69 when I started.

Hustle lets you move a little bit faster, mostly used when doing dump ins into the zone.

Malvolio

Lion Heart said:

If you play enough games and keep a high enough rating you earn XP you can use to boost your player, but it sounds like he has a booster pack added. They can be purchased or they can also be awarded through in game accomplishments. The requirements are pretty tough though. Takes like two full seasons of Be a Pro and have to win certain awards in those seasons to achieve them. As you mentioned, your stats can also be boosted through gear but again, it takes a lot of time playing to be able to boost to the purchasable booster pack level.

So far I've not noticed hustle doing anything either. I was thinking that maybe it has no effect in OTP mode.

RS4-

ok so I think I'm getting owned for my boosts, one of the stick unlocks needs you to have a +9 for one stat, so I have that in my offen. awareness and completed a game...

and the slot is still locked :lol

Marvie_3

Banned
Lion Heart said:
You have to click it 3 times to get the full effect. One click only speeds you up a little. Basically your player skates at around 75% of full speed normally.
One click - ~80%
Two clicks - ~90%
Three clicks - 100%

RS4- said:
ok so I think I'm getting owned for my boosts, one of the stick unlocks needs you to have a +9 for one stat, so I have that in my offen. awareness and completed a game...

and the slot is still locked :lol
Maybe it has to be one game in a certain mode?

RS4-

Either have all slots unlocked in a BAP game (like all 3 stick slots) or finish a EASHL game with +9 in it. Maybe it's an actual match and not a drop-in game

Marvie_3

Banned
RS4- said:
Either have all slots unlocked in a BAP game (like all 3 stick slots) or finish a EASHL game with +9 in it. Maybe it's an actual match and not a drop-in game
Drop-ins don't count as EASHL games. They're basically OTP games.

RS4-

Marvie_3 said:
Drop-ins don't count as EASHL games. They're basically OTP games.

alright makes sense!

and I think offensive awareness helps with your end grades because I've taken like 2 penalties in a tight game and ended up with like A+/B/A.

Finished another game and was on the ice for like 6 goals and finished B/B+/A+

Surely...that isn't right.

Marvie_3

Banned
RS4- said:
alright makes sense!

and I think offensive awareness helps with your end grades because I've taken like 2 penalties in a tight game and ended up with like A+/B/A.

Finished another game and was on the ice for like 6 goals and finished B/B+/A+

Surely...that isn't right.
Don't overthink it. The grading system in the NHL series doesn't make any sense.

Marvie_3 said:
You have to click it 3 times to get the full effect. One click only speeds you up a little. Basically your player skates at around 75% of full speed normally.
One click - ~80%
Two clicks - ~90%
Three clicks - 100%

Maybe it has to be one game in a certain mode?

Weird, I assume it only lasts a little while and is linked to endurance? This is the stuff I wish they would put in tutorials!

Nobiru said:
Weird, I assume it only lasts a little while and is linked to endurance? This is the stuff I wish they would put in tutorials!
Try reading the in game explanations of what each stat does. It totally gives you the belief that even they don't know what it does. :lol

Marvie_3

Banned
Nobiru said:
Yeah, it seems like it only lasts until you let off the stick and change directions. It is tied to endurance. You can keep top speed longer with higher endurance and you won't slow down as much at the end of games.

Interesting, I will have to test it out later. Is there a list of stuff thats new and changed, and how it works, or rather how to make it work effectively? Hell, I wouldnt mind something telling me how all the old stuff works! haha, Ive never really understood how to do all the deke stuff, and Im rarely in a position to try and figure it out mid game. I need a fighting game style move list.

Marvie_3

Banned
Nobiru said:
Interesting, I will have to test it out later. Is there a list of stuff thats new and changed, and how it works, or rather how to make it work effectively? Hell, I wouldnt mind something telling me how all the old stuff works! haha, Ive never really understood how to do all the deke stuff, and Im rarely in a position to try and figure it out mid game. I need a fighting game style move list.
There are in-game tutorials. :D

Marvie_3 said:
Not sure if there's a deke one but I know there's one for fighting.

its probably just the same stuff they make you do when you start the game for the first time. I need a list of what button combinations do which dekes, or to know things like the hustle button work. I should probably just read through EAs NHL forums, I can probably pick up a lot from there.

Nobiru said:
its probably just the same stuff they make you do when you start the game for the first time. I need a list of what button combinations do which dekes, or to know things like the hustle button work. I should probably just read through EAs NHL forums, I can probably pick up a lot from there.

And youtube. Youtube has tons of videos of people showing how to do various dekes and stuff.

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
And youtube. Youtube has tons of videos of people showing how to do various dekes and stuff.

Oh yeah! not sure why I always forget about youtube, its perfect for stuff like this. Thank you.

Entropia

No One Remembers
shagg_187 said:
WTF is this shit, EA?! I can't play HUT or any other League OFFLINE without being online? EPIC FUCKING FAIL!! So much for Online Pass DRM...

Yeah I was playing a single player HUT game, up 6-0 in the 3rd... "You have lost your connection, you are now being exited from this HUT game" FFFFFFFFFFFFF... oh well.

bran

shagg_187 said:
... LOL! You do know that even if you win or lose, you get enough points to get free cards. $20 is ALOT!

It's not too bad considering I got both the x360 and ps3 versions of the game and a 360s to go with the 360 version, but still I'm againstmicro DLC in principle :( , I blacked out, went berserk and next thing you know I have a team rated for 90 for offence lol.

EA got me by the balls...... halp.....

My HUT team after the weekend.

Clowe- Kopitar- J.Williams
Gagne- Cervenka- Kovalev
M.Neal- Primeau- Fehr
plug- plug- Eaves

Cumiskey- D.Murray
Salvador- P.Martin
Drewskie- some kid

Cam Ward
plug

Malvolio

Just messed around with HUT for the first time. I really don't see the appeal. Seems like they just took GM mode and found a way to try and get you to pay more money or else you're stuck playing a slow ass team. Then they added the ability to play online so that you really feel compelled to drop the coin. Gets a big meh from me. A little annoyed in fact that this is the main upgrade from NHL10. Oh well, I guess all things can't be entertaining to everyone.

Strictly as an EASHL player (600+ games in 09 and 10), I can safely say that NHL 11 is the most frustrating entry in this EASHL era.

Not saying that the game is bad or totally great, I don't know yet. Just much, much different.

Carry-on, HUT addicts.

Top Bottom