• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL 11 |OT| - Same glitches, different physics

Marvie_3

Banned
Malvolio said:
Just messed around with HUT for the first time. I really don't see the appeal. Seems like they just took GM mode and found a way to try and get you to pay more money or else you're stuck playing a slow ass team. Then they added the ability to play online so that you really feel compelled to drop the coin. Gets a big meh from me. A little annoyed in fact that this is the main upgrade from NHL10. Oh well, I guess all things can't be entertaining to everyone.
This. There's just too much micromanagement for me and it doesn't really seem like anything more than a cash grab.

Have they made any improvements to the european leagues this year?

I´m swedish, but I never played with the swedish league in NHL10 since the teams had the previous years rosters, and every update I downloaded deleted all my changes I did in the swedish teams, since the updates never contained any changes for the european leagues.

And it was boring that they never added each teams arena for those teams.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I don't know if I've ever seen as many negative impressions in quite some time.

The thing that is most irritating is the EA just seems to refuse to fix the online glitches.

Marvie_3

Banned
CecilRousso said:
Have they made any improvements to the european leagues this year?

I´m swedish, but I never played with the swedish league in NHL10 since the teams had the previous years rosters, and every update I downloaded deleted all my changes I did in the swedish teams, since the updates never contained any changes for the european leagues.

And it was boring that they never added each teams arena for those teams.
They don't even have accurate arenas for the NHL teams. There's no way they're going to bother with the Euro league arenas.

Plinko said:

The thing that is most irritating is the EA just seems to refuse to fix the online glitches.
Exactly. Broken sticks and such are nice, but fix the broken shit before you waste so much time developing new additions.

Plinko said:

I think part of the issue is they know the system they currently have is broken but they have no intention of fixing it because they are scrapping the current skating engine and likely puck physics engine that are in this year's game and moving to real-time physics for them in the next year. Also, they did recently update the tuner settings to make some glitch shots less effective, to the point where I've seen people complaining they can't score on other forums.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Marvie_3 said:
This. There's just too much micromanagement for me and it doesn't really seem like anything more than a cash grab.

I like the concept of it, but I agree that the micromanagement can be a bit much. Partly because the menu's and interface for HUT is a pain in the ass. I can't see myself buying any packs.

In my first online game in HUT was sweet though, I won 1-0. The goal went off my players skate in front of the net and they had to go upstairs to see if it was kicked in or not.

bran

funkmastergeneral said:
Top Bruins prospect (hence why I care) that played a few games on the P-bruins last year, so he should've been on the roster.

Top Bruin prospect isn't that Seguin

lupin23rd

Marvie_3 said:
I'm maybe 15 games in and I'm struggling to finish one season. Part of that is probably due to the fact that I was drafted by Florida. Sucks being on a line with Radek Dvorak and Steven Reinprecht. :lol

Joined the 'nucks and I got bumped up to the first line after about 20 games, knocking one of the Sedins to the second line :lol

I'm playing one game and then sim-ing three more, I want to get through more than one season this year and see how high I can max my guy up.

Marvie_3

Banned
Just finished my first Be A Pro season. Did the requirements for a bunch of boosts and of course none of them unlock. Fuck you EA and your broken ass piece of shit game.

Marvie_3

Banned
New tuner coming out tonight:

Just a heads up that a new tuner update will go live during the sever maintenance at 2AM PST/5AM EST.

The primary goal of this update is to increase goal scoring and decrease the advantages of solo, dangler style play in favor of more passing.

The specific changes are:
-Increase shot accuracy overall.
-Increases to shot power in some situations.
-Increase friction on dive.
-Increase poke check effectiveness.
-Face-off tuning, primarily to help CPU in certain situations.
-Decrease fatigue rate during odd man situations (when clock is scaled and you are limited to two lines).
-Decrease teamplay penalty for missed pass attempts.
-Small increase to pass receptions (online games and HUT, offline can adjust using slider).
-Small decrease to puck control (online games and HUT, offline can adjust using slider).
-Narrowed the range of the agility effect.

For offline players these changes are on Tuner V1.02 (except those noted as online/HUT only).
Decreasing the dangler bullshit sounds good to me.

ksan

Wow, just got my game this Thursday.
What the fuck is this shit? :lol
Pretty much unplayable in online vs mode, extremely frustrating I would say.
Sure, the hold-passing thing is great, and the physics are ok. But what's up with the rest of the game? :lol

Hope it's gonna work out a little better in EASHL...

I have played a couple of games in this, and I´m pretty satisfied so far. Hade great fun playing online against a friend, and it feels good overall. Well, except that the goalies always seem to get themselves in all kinds of stupid situations, with pucks bounces from their back and stuff like that.

Marvie_3

Banned
ksan said:
Wow, just got my game this Thursday.
What the fuck is this shit? :lol
Pretty much unplayable in online vs mode, extremely frustrating I would say.
Sure, the hold-passing thing is great, and the physics are ok. But what's up with the rest of the game? :lol

Hope it's gonna work out a little better in EASHL...
Uh.... :lol :lol :lol :lol

Marvie_3 said:
Uh.... :lol :lol :lol :lol
:lol Don't spoil the surprise!

CecilRousso said:
I have played a couple of games in this, and I´m pretty satisfied so far. Hade great fun playing online against a friend, and it feels good overall. Well, except that the goalies always seem to get themselves in all kinds of stupid situations, with pucks bounces from their back and stuff like that.

I've had a couple times where the goalie does his psycho 360 swat and knock it into his own net. :lol

ksan

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Dunno, if you thought EASHL worked well in 10 then you'll like 11.
We were pretty good, but ye, sure, there were a lot of people trying to only score glitch goals etc.
But playing as a d-man will be a pain with the new poke :E

Marvie_3

Banned
ksan said:
We were pretty good, but ye, sure, there were a lot of people trying to only score glitch goals etc.
The last tuner upped the poke check effectiveness.

NHL 11 is the same crap though. Glitchers and cherry pickers galore.

ksan said:

Ya, it's exactly the same as last year so you might be ok.

Just finished installing music for the 120 or so North American teams. God, the Music Hub is awful. I don't know why I bother. It takes hours to setup what should be an hour or less process.

Marvie_3

Banned
infinityBCRT said:
Just finished installing music for the 120 or so North American teams. God, the Music Hub is awful. I don't know why I bother. It takes hours to setup what should be an hour or less process.
Yeah, it's a complete pain in the ass. I wish MS would allow you to just copy music via USB and not have to put everything in playlists.

Sniper McBlaze said:
Have you guys given up on EASHL totally?

I've been online a few times and noone is playing.
Nah, but Halo has put a nice dent in our roster right now.

rush777

Wow reading the impressions here it looks like EA didn't improve anything over NHL 10 and I doubt I'll purchase this.

rush777 said:
Wow reading the impressions here it looks like EA didn't improve anything over NHL 10 and I doubt I'll purchase this.

HUT mode is the big improvement, I have not gotten a chance to play it (360 isn't hooked to the internet) but people seem to be enjoying it. What really bothers me, is their big improvement for the year, HUT, is just a way to milk microtransactions out of people =/

Marvie_3

Banned
funkmastergeneral said:
HUT mode is the big improvement, I have not gotten a chance to play it (360 isn't hooked to the internet) but people seem to be enjoying it. What really bothers me, is their big improvement for the year, HUT, is just a way to milk microtransactions out of people =/
Basically.

Marvie_3 said:
Yeah, it's a complete pain in the ass. I wish MS would allow you to just copy music via USB and not have to put everything in playlists.

Nah, but Halo has put a nice dent in our roster right now.
Playlists aren't an issue if you get a premade pack. The issue is it's so damn slow to browse through 300+ playlists

I FUCKING hate EAUSHL right now. My team is average, but everyone leaves when they see what team stats I have so all I get to play is people with sick teams...

Edit: And what the fuck is this shit?!!!!? I was up 3 - 0 at the end of the second period. Me in the lead is a rare thing and the game decides to disconnect me. What the hell EA? Did monkeys build this game? Is my DNF modifier ruined now too?

bumpkin

Hmm... So someone may have already asked about this and it may be a dumb question, but I'm "stuck" in Be a Pro mode. I played the preseason games as my Pro, was kept by the coach, and now there's no games to play no matter how far I advance the calendar.

What am I missing?

bumpkin said:
Hmm... So someone may have already asked about this and it may be a dumb question, but I'm "stuck" in Be a Pro mode. I played the preseason games as my Pro, was kept by the coach, and now there's no games to play no matter how far I advance the calendar.

What am I missing?

Just sim a bunch of days and eventually the schedule will pop-up.

What pack in UHL gets you the most value? Just saw that that the jumbo pack cost triple (!) the amount a standard does, but only twice the amount of MS points. So is it best just to get standard packs?

Marvie_3

Banned
New tuner today:
-Increase maximum speed when hustling (L3).
-Easier to generate/maintain speed doing forward crossover turns.
-Decrease goalie acceleration.
-Increase chance of penalty when a stick lift breaks a stick.
-Decrease chance of stick lift causing a dropped stick.
-Increase to slap shot power
-Increase non-puck carrier acceleration and agility and decrease puck carrier acceleration and agility.
-Weaken shots in certain situations that were leading to goals with too high a frequency when cutting across the middle of the ice.
-Increase chance of losing balance when carrying the puck (Versus, OTP/EASHL and HUT only).
-Increase chance of losing the puck when deking or turning sharply (Versus, OTP/EASHL and HUT only).
-Increase chance of tripping on a poke check (undoing previous change that affected online and HUT modes online).

The changes that affect offline games are contained in tuning version V1.03. You can opt not to use them by switching to V1.02.

The main objectives of the update are to reduce the amount of solo skating and tune scoring balance. The "losing an edge" animation where the player falls down that was rarely seen previously will now happen more often, in particular when a player does a lot of sharp turns with the puck and is getting bumped by opposing players. Almost all stick lifts that break the stick will result in a penalty.

Love playing stay-at-home D in EASHL games. I love sitting back and watching the play develop, breaking up plays, starting breakouts... playing forward is almost too chaotic. I almost never even get a shot on net though... nobody EVER passes it back to the point!

Marvie_3

Banned
revolverjgw said:
Love playing stay-at-home D in EASHL games. I love sitting back and watching the play develop, breaking up plays, starting breakouts... playing forward is almost too chaotic. I almost never even get a shot on net though... nobody EVER passes it back to the point!
If you played for the GAF team you would. I drop it to the point all the time. :D

"HUT Fans: Look out online for promos to hit tonight at 5:00 PM and 8:00 PM PST. Hope you Like what you get!"

So what does this mean? Free cards? I was at work for the 5 PM one.

Edit: so the promo is apparently a price gut on a limited quantity of Jumbo packs, 5000 pucks/120ms points, with probably like 1000 or so total (it was wat 800 when i looked just now).

JWong

Banned
Is there a guide for HUT?

I know there are contracts that will expire. What will happen if we can't renew any contracts?

This must be their way of making money... eventually the player has to pay money to continue HUT.

Top Bottom