• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL '12 Playoffs |OT2| NHL ratings up 50%; GAF ratings down 90%

You mean the team that was founded in the early 1980s had to compete for fans with more established franchises -- including an Original Six, one that rattled off four cup wins in a row, and another that had success in the recent 1970s -- and struggled to find footing because most of the state was claimed territory? Mind blown.

O I'm not disagreeing with the WHY. I'm just saying all those factor combined to create a fanbase that is absolutely insufferable.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Anyone think the Devils can force seven games? If they can somehow win at home tomorrow, I think they will, but there's no way they'll win the Cup. The Kings would need to lose twice on the road and that ain't happening.

Razorskin

----- ------
Anyone think the Devils can force seven games? If they can somehow win at home tomorrow, I think they will, but there's no way they'll win the Cup. The Kings would need to lose twice on the road and that ain't happening.

Reverse jinx! Devils lose tomorrow! Book it!

Marvie_3

Banned
Goldwater and Glendale in court now

Could this be it?
Not yet. Judge denied their request for a restraining order, but did leave other options open:

Judge Cooper said:
court doesn't have authority to stop vote but there has been clear violation of court orders to provide documents in time
Goldwater has already said they'll go back to court if the vote passes(which it will).
Sitren(Goldwater attorney) says Goldwater would be back in court to void the approval if it were to happen
It's going to be hilarious when the vote is approved and Goldwater gets it thrown out. :lol

I think they can force six but I don't see them beating the Kings any more than twice in a row.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
I feel like Entropia should be given a permant kings avatar for his incredible bandwagoning this post season.

I feel like Entropia should be given a permant kings avatar for his incredible bandwagoning this post season.

Can he receive a ban if he cheers for the Canes from now on instead? Everyone gets one chance to switch teams, but the switch must be permanent, if now you get banned, so here is your chance Leafs fans to jump on board to another team!

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Can he receive a ban if he cheers for the Canes from now on instead? Everyone gets one chance to switch teams, but the switch must be permanent, if now you get banned, so here is your chance Leafs fans to jump on board to another team!

BooThisMan.gif

Marvie_3

Banned
Jamison saying "he believes in the deal". Of course you do, you crook. You're getting $15M in taxpayer money for free every year.

Marvie_3

Banned
Jamison admitting that the arena management fee will go towards team expenses and won't name his investors. :lol

Bettman: "HOPING they can finish the deal in the next few weeks. If not, it puts them in an awkward position"

Marvie_3

Banned
Glendale public access tv is creepy without the city council meetings.

LOL. Glendale City Beat (news show) "We'll also look back on the Coyotes historic season" I didn't know getting out of the first round for the first time in 15 years was historic. :lol

Marvie_3

Banned
http://asset3.neogaf.com/forum/image.php?u=24519&dateline=1339185931[IMG]

WTF[/QUOTE]
It's Phil Lieberman, a council member in Glendale. He's hilarious.

[quote="Plinko, post: 38687309"]How in the world can anybody with a shred of intelligence believe that?[/QUOTE]
If the Glendale City Council had a shred of intelligence, this deal never would have made it this far to begin with.

[quote="Cake Boss, post: 38687349"]Oh is he the " Is it 10 million or 20 million" guy?[/QUOTE]

Yeah, the crotchety old man that has no idea about whats going on most of the time.

Marvie_3

Banned
Holy shit! Phil Lieberman has his own show on Glendale's network! I really hope the council meeting doesn't start back up on time so I can watch this.

Discussing underage sex trafficking. I'd get cable again if I could get this channel. :lol

Marvie_3

Banned
Damn, first citizen speaker already laying into the council. :lol :lol :lol

2nd guy is a state rep who is ripping into the deal too. "Largest subsidy in state history"

3rd speaker is a council member in another suburb that lives in Glendale. Fakes enthusiasm for the Coyotes. Calls Jamison handsome. Ripping into the council as well.

4th guy is crushing the deal.

5 for 5 on speakers against the deal. Calling out Jamison and asking for financial statements and investor names. :lol

6 for 6. Calling out Glendale for cutting services and rushing the vote. "It's going to take a whole lot of hot dogs to cover the arena costs." :lol :lol :lol
Now she's talking about manure. :lol :lol

7 for 7. Guy is complaining about all the private executive sessions by the council. Calling them unethical.

#8 is Carrie Ann Sitren from the Goldwater Institute! Calling them out for not handing over all the documents. Goldwater threatening legal action in person and stating that the judge WILL strike it down when they do go to court.

#9 is a Coyotes season ticket holder. In favor of the Coyotes deal because a lot of Canadians come down to watch games and stay in Glendale hotels. Says to look at Sharks fans and their "fervor" and wishes Glendale had the same.

#10 is an old man who can barely breathe and might die at the podium. Against the deal because the city is way in debt and has no money. Says Jamison doesn't have any brains and won't get the money because the tax increase won't survive referendum. States that a new council could declare bankruptcy and that Glendale could get taken to court for Jamison to get his money. "Maybe the judge would give him enough money for a bus ticket back to San Jose" :lol :lol :lol

#11 is a Coyotes season ticket holder and is in favor of the deal. Says Jamison can do for Phoenix what he did in San Jose. Calls a no vote a big mistake.

#12 is another elected official against the deal. Ripping the council for closed door sessions and rushing the deal. Also, crushing them for raising taxes and prioritizing a hockey team instead of families and services. Yelling about he tax dollars going to a hockey team and declares she won't pay anymore taxes. Blasting their "numbers" that the deal is based on. This lady sounds like she was doing coke before the meeting with Jeff Carter.

#13 congratulating the city for "bringing life" to the west side of Glendale. Declares that "there is sunshine" because there are people who are forward thinking enough to vote for the deal. Doesn't like all the negativity about the deal. Getting emotional because he's proud of the Coyotes being divisional champions.

#14 is a Glendale school board member. Calls the deal a "gamble". Mentions the majority of people are against the deal.

Lieberman calling out Hocking for claiming the arena would never lose money. Makes a motion to delay vote for 2 weeks because Jamison is not ready. Mayor seconds the motion because the vote would be overturned if taken today. States that the documents outlining the arena management budget and performance standards are immaterial.

City attorney is saying the city was compliant with open meeting laws, etc. Claims Goldwater's facts were inaccurate.

Motion to delay vote fails 4-2.

Entire ordinance is read. Takes 16 hours.

Councilwoman Clark mentions all the intangible benefits despite not realizing that intangible benefits can not be used in court to support a subsidy. Now using Hartford as an example of what can happen when a city loses an NHL team. Uses a nearby Hartford McDonalds closing as evidence. Now using a study produced during the Hulsizer negotiations:)lol) as further evidence to justify voting yes. Struggling to maintain coherency due to what seems like years of alcohol abuse. Now calling out the mayor for supporting previous deals and throwing her words in her face. States the city is on the verge of recovery(obviously forgetting that the city is $1 billion in debt). Clark rambles on forfuckingever and gets dumber with each passing sentence. Supports the deal.

Councilman Alvarez speak about the negative effects of the Coyotes leaving. Supports the deal.

Councilwoman Knaack up next. Says they've spent adequate time on the details of the deal. Bringing up all the numbers about the money the Coyotes would bring in. Added up they're WELL short of the money being spent by Glendale. In favor of the deal.

Councilman Frate speaking. Comparing the AMF like a cap hit, "go by averages". Seems pissy that people are speaking out against the deal. In favor of the deal.

Councilman Lieberman speaking. Claiming the numbers are incorrect. Brings up the fact that the city has no money. Talks about how they had to take money away from other services to pay NHL. Brings up the fact that the arena debt service will be $500M. Points out that Coyotes will come nowhere near paying for it. Mentions that the city is still paying off baseball stadiums. Slams his fist down with old man rage while calling out other council members. Rambles for days about taxes. Points out that property taxes will increase 34% over two years and sales taxes will also increase. Speaks fondly of his friend Rick Burton. Also mentions Danny with the car wash. Declares his opposition to the deal. Continues to tell his life story.

Mayor Scruggs is next. Calls out Clark for talking shit about her and Phil. Mentions the numerous failed attempts to buy the Coyotes. Points out the lowered credit rating of the city and mentions future credit decreases. Does not have faith in the numbers in the projected agreements. Uses the word "gobbledeygoop". Argues against the tax increases needed to pay for Coyotes deal. Struggles with simple math. Is interrupted several times by Phil who has done the math. Says the city can not afford the deal. Points out that sales tax increase will be struck down by referendum.

Phil calls for a break.

Vote to approve the subsidies for the Coyotes passes 4-2.

More comments from the public.

First up is wheezy old man(#10). Mentions that the city is also giving up $100M worth of parking benefits.

Speaker #12 is back and she is not happy. Blasting the city about not representing the city. "You don't represent us, you seem to think you rule us. Governance at its worst". Bringing up the gift clause in AZ state law. Tearing into Bettman now. Tells the council they have their priorities wrong by now delaying the vote.

Speaker #3 is back. Resumes passive flirting with Jamison. Crushes Beasley while congratulating him on his retirement.

New speaker steps up. Thanks the council for voting in favor. Obviously reading off a script that she didn't write.

Another new speaker, dressed in his free Coyotes shirt and hat. Calls for a referendum on the subsidies. Wants the actual numbers released. Says he would vote to keep the Coyotes but he's not a citizen of Glendale. Still wishes the agreement would go to a vote.

Clark brings up more unnecessary facts in an attempt to back up her nonsense.

Cameraman dozes off and the camera goes out of focus, thankfully sparing me from having to look at Clark's leather skinned face.

Resolution is read, wasting several more hours.

Council members ramble on for awhile. Knaack points out that it was a long day but they needed to do their job. Apparently their job is driving their city right off a cliff into a canyon of financial ruin.

City attorney plots how to get around contempt of court charges for the city.

Meeting adjourned.

Top Bottom