• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL '12 Playoffs |OT2| NHL ratings up 50%; GAF ratings down 90%

Quick

Banned
Does anyone else hate the fact that we have two active threads? The off-season one is such a dumb gimmick, and shouldn't exist until the playoffs are over. Yeah, it was funny when Manics would start it every season, but there's no reason that all NHL discussion can't happen in here.

That thread was started ages ago by Dastardly as a joke, and we just picked up from there.

*shrug*

Entropia

No One Remembers
Of course you don't. You posted a gif that cuts out everything before the point of contact.

itYGW6eSLfKl5.gif

Watch his left leg from the first frame on.

I can slow it down even more and use a red circle to identify Brown's left leg, if you require.

Actually if you watch it, Brown's leg doesn't move at all. The principle point of contact is the shoulder. If anything Rosival's leg actually moves out to where Brown made that contact.

Rosival wasn't even looking where he was going. Brown completely caught him off guard, head on.

This is one of those games moving fast type hits that had an unfortunate outcome. In no way does it appear that Brown was intentionally aiming for his knee.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
That thread was started ages ago by Dastardly as a joke, and we just picked up from there.

*shrug*
Well yeah, that's what I said, it happens every season. Just one of those GAF pet peeves of mine.

Socreges

Banned
Actually if you watch it, Brown's leg doesn't move at all. The principle point of contact is the shoulder. If anything Rosival's leg actually moves out to where Brown made that contact.
Brown's leg doesn't move at all? So why do his skates go from being so close together to being a few feet apart and with his left leg leading his body?

As for the point of contact.... the only upper part of Brown's body that hits Rozsival is his elbow that he juts out at the last moment to try and salvage the hit. But the principle (and most devastating) point of contact is obviously Brown's knee.

Entropia said:
This is one of those games moving fast type hits that had an unfortunate outcome. In no way does it appear that Brown was intentionally aiming for his knee.
I'm not arguing that it was premeditated. I know that mistakes happen when the game is moving that fast. Brown plays on the edge and things like this will happen. He doesn't deserve a suspension, but he certainly deserved a penalty. That's all I'm saying.

Quick

Banned
If you look at Rosival's left leg, he actually sticks it out a little right before the collision. His leg moves in Brown's direction, and Brown looks like he was going for a shoulder check and had his leg positioned to brace himself.

Rosival looks like he wanted to trip Brown, Brown looks ready to shoulder check.

Socreges

Banned
If you look at Rosival's left leg, he actually sticks it out a little right before the collision. His leg moves in Brown's direction, and Brown looks like he was going for a shoulder check and had his leg positioned to brace himself.

Rosival looks like he wanted to trip Brown, Brown looks ready to shoulder check.
Hey, I hate Phoenix as much as the next guy. But wha? His left leg does move a bit over as he's stick-handling, but it doesn't have any bearing on what happened (if anything, putting his left leg more left just meant he was hit in the thigh instead of directly on the knee) and he obviously wasn't aiming to trip Brown.

Quick

Banned
Hey, I hate Phoenix as much as the next guy. But wha? His left leg does move a bit over as he's stick-handling, but it doesn't have any bearing on what happened (if anything, putting his left leg more left just meant he was hit in the thigh instead of directly on the knee) and he obviously wasn't aiming to trip Brown.

I was maybe 10% serious on that part, but I know. Yeah, more of a thigh on thigh, and not the hot kind. I do agree that that should be a penalty though.

Refs maybe evening it out for Doughty? (okay, I'm really just kidding here)

And no, I actually don't hate Phoenix. I'm glad they went this far into the playoffs.

Clydefrog

Does anyone else hate the fact that we have two active threads? The off-season one is such a dumb gimmick, and shouldn't exist until the playoffs are over. Yeah, it was funny when Manics would start it every season, but there's no reason that all NHL discussion can't happen in here.

I think it's weird too. It's like they've been banished from this thread because their team got knocked out / didn't make it to the playoffs. It makes this thread a lot emptier than it needs to be. I also don't get people coming in here and saying "I haven't watched hockey since my team got knocked out" WTF playoff hockey is one of the most exciting things to watch; why make yourself suffer???

Quick

Banned
I think it's weird too. It's like they've been banished from this thread because their team got knocked out / didn't make it to the playoffs. It makes this thread a lot emptier than it needs to be. I also don't get people coming in here and saying "I haven't watched hockey since my team got knocked out" WTF playoff hockey is one of the most exciting things to watch; why make yourself suffer???

I haven't watched as much playoff hockey as I did in years past. Leafs starting off strong and ending terribly just put a bad taste in my mouth about this year that I didn't really feel like watching much. Kave Man and some others pretty much went MIA once the season was over. I watched quite a few games in the first round (especially LA vs. VAN) and mostly avoided the 2nd round (watched highlights instead).

I'm more inclined to cheer on the Kings to win the Cup than whoever plays in the East.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.

Simple reason: before I would NOT do work/study to follow Canucks games no matter what, now studying/work > hockey, so i have less spare time to actually be able to watch. I'm not laying off studying to watch a Coyotes-LA game that I'm not heavily interested in, exciting as it may be. Sure, if by chance I have spare time and the game is on I'll watch it, but that's about it :/

I actually think that It usually is an necessity, or at least it usually makes the situation better. When I haven't been online for a couple of days I can at least look through the latest int he off-season thread, regarding romours and stuff which would be completely between all the Pens-shops, Luongo penises, Naked Keslers and Kessel screams(lol) if they were in this thread.

But this year I guess it would work since all the teams with actually active fanbases are out.

Hunter S.

Not that I quit, but I normally would especially this year were I did not like any of the teams that made it past the first round. Colorado broke down at the end of the season. Chicago was ruined by those boring 'yotes. LA seemed boring and destroyed Vancouver and I usually never watch the East. Hate the Devils and Brodeur, now hate the the Coyotes, Rangers are boring. LA is okay because they are fun to watch. Otherwise I would be out of the mofo long ago. Do the same for the NFL, and NBA when the pickings suck.

Slurmer

Banned
That was a pretty intense overtime. Good season for the coyotes in their last season in Phoenix.

I am okay with Richards getting the cup this year.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
His style while effective, can produce some of the most awful hockey to watch

I still want to hear his explanation on how he is a shitty coach for getting his team to the third round. People whine about how the Devils or Coyotes are boring but the games I watched of those teams were pretty exciting. Coaches are hired to win games.

Marvie_3

Banned
Yeah, it's stupid.
Brown's leg doesn't move at all? So why do his skates go from being so close together to being a few feet apart and with his left leg leading his body?

As for the point of contact.... the only upper part of Brown's body that hits Rozsival is his elbow that he juts out at the last moment to try and salvage the hit. But the principle (and most devastating) point of contact is obviously Brown's knee.

I'm not arguing that it was premeditated. I know that mistakes happen when the game is moving that fast. Brown plays on the edge and things like this will happen. He doesn't deserve a suspension, but he certainly deserved a penalty. That's all I'm saying.
His skates start close and move apart because he's turning and then is going straight for the hit. It's called balance. His skates are also pretty close to being even when contact is made so I don't get where you're getting this "leading with his leg" nonsense. His shoulder is above his leg and the rest of his body positioning is bracing for a hit. Watch the gif you posted. It's not just his elbow moving out. His shoulder is moving into the hit as well. There was nothing dirty about it and wasn't deserving of a penalty.

I usually watch every game during the playoffs, even last year when the Flyers were out I kept watching most games but this year I just cant do it. i Hated all 4 teams left and the Flyers losing to what I think was a worse team really ruined the playoffs this year.

Socreges

Banned
Yeah, it's stupid.

His skates start close and move apart because he's turning and then is going straight for the hit. It's called balance. His skates are also pretty close to being even when contact is made so I don't get where you're getting this "leading with his leg" nonsense. His shoulder is above his leg and the rest of his body positioning is bracing for a hit. Watch the gif you posted. It's not just his elbow moving out. His shoulder is moving into the hit as well. There was nothing dirty about it and wasn't deserving of a penalty.
The elbow and knee hit more or less spontaneously, but the elbow's impact (I like how this is apparently his saving grace: an elbow) was a lot weaker than the extended/leading knee hitting Rozsival's thigh/knee.

I like Kerry Fraser's analysis:

I did not like how Brown extended his knee on a wide glide path that created a leg/knee to leg hit on Rozsival. It is also unfortunate that the play was offside and the whistle blew just prior to contact. In real time the hit wouldn't look that bad unless you had an angle along the blue line to see Brown's knee extended outside of his foundation on the approach. (Skates shoulder width apart.) Even though Brown made a move upward and into Rozsival's upper body, his leg remained out and made significant contact with the leg (knee/thigh) of the Phoenix player. I would want to see a minor penalty for kneeing on this play as a result of the leg-to-leg contact based on the approach position of Brown's lead leg.

hubes

looks like entropia is gonna beat me in the gaf bracket because of the kings winning the cup :(. i shoulda went with richie over the preds...

Heretic

DASTARDLY!!!!

I won a free copy of NHL 12 with and signed by Hiller on the cover for my Fasth pun =)

For the record my pun was:
Quick is good but Fasth is better!

Free signed copy of NHL 12 with Hiller on the cover > My team winning the Stanley Cup

suck it, queens!

i'd just like to post on record that i've been a kings fan since the 80's.
the golden years of gretzky, Luuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc, and badboy mcsorley.
leggo!

Clydefrog

leggo!

I'll go on the record and say that I only became a hockey and Kings fan in 2004. Growing up in Hawaii, I didn't really have much exposure/interest in the sport. I moved to CA for college and my friends got me interested in attending kings/ducks games. Didn't take long for me to love it!

Marvie_3

Banned
leggo!

did i tell you my secondary team is the ducks?
i live in orange county.
so does that make us brothers?
if Bish would grace us soon with his presence, i'll be more than happy to get a new gaf handle.

Wrong. Just fucking wrong. No.

Socreges

Banned
we can't have a secondary team?
in nfl, my primary team are the niners. my secondary is the chargers.
NBA, its first and foremost, the lakers. and 2ndary has to be warriors.
Having a secondary team is bad. Having a secondary team within the same division just doesn't make any sense.

I hope bish changes his username, but to "California Mistakes".

I never played NHL 06 or 07.

And leave my man pheeniks alone.

it was one of those years. he was horrible.
never passed the puck.
and would always blow one times.

btw, my most hated team in the 90s were definitely mapleleafs and the Nordiques of old.
not because they're canadiens, but the mere fact they shitted on my Kings for years

Quick

Banned
Welcome, Basketball Reasons.

Feel free to have a second team. Though it's just odd you'd pick the Ducks as your secondary team with the rivalry and all.

Dastardly and Heretic would balk at the thought.

EDIT: hey, fuck you too, man.

Marvie! Rev! and whoever else has a 360 and NHL! I bought a 360 for cheap ($120 for the newish Elite) off my buddy. Do yall still play NHL 12?

I still haven't gotten NHL 12 or XBL yet, but it's a step

Marvie_3

Banned
Marvie! Rev! and whoever else has a 360 and NHL! I bought a 360 for cheap ($120 for the newish Elite) off my buddy. Do yall still play NHL 12?

I still haven't gotten NHL 12 or XBL yet, but it's a step

Figures. Cleaned out my XBL friends list monday and took you off. :lol

GAF team is still going in NHL 12.

Socreges

Banned
Welcome, Basketball Reasons.

Feel free to have a second team. Though it's just odd you'd pick the Ducks as your secondary team with the rivalry and all.

Dastardly and Heretic would balk at the thought.

EDIT: hey, fuck you too, man.
KuGsj.gif

You were being so kind to him, too.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Kreider promoted back to the top line?

I can dig this.

Kreider-Richards-Hagelin....that is one FAST line. If they can get some room to skate on this ice, this could be a really fun line to watch.

Heretic

did i tell you my secondary team is the ducks?
i live in orange county.
so does that make us brothers?
if Bish would grace us soon with his presence, i'll be more than happy to get a new gaf handle.

I live in the LA County =( Die Hard Duck though.

Anyways, Welcome to NHL-Gaf! Hope you stick around. We get a bunch of queens fan that come in around playoff time then disappear but the more of you guys to hate the better =)

P.S.
Fuck the Lakers!

ShaneB

Oh god, Ron Maclean killing it.

Woman behind the bench, 32, great support.

... they show a fan wearing a hrudey jersey number 32.
KuGsj.gif

Clydefrog

Anyways, Welcome to NHL-Gaf! Hope you stick around. We get a bunch of queens fan that come in around playoff time then disappear but the more of you guys to hate the better =)

P.S.
Fuck the Lakers!

hah - I love how you live in LA and love the Ducks while I live in OC and love the Kings.

bizarro nemesis!

hah - I love how you live in LA and love the Ducks while I live in OC and love the Kings.

bizarro nemesis!
Costa mesa too?
near fairgrounds?

P.S.
Fuck the Lakers!
why are you angry bro?
all that la traffic getting to ya?

Top Bottom