• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL '12 Playoffs |OT2| NHL ratings up 50%; GAF ratings down 90%

I don't understand the Kovalchuck hate. It was Lamoriello (with pressure from ownership) along with Kovalchuk's agent that structured the contract. Kovalchuk just signed it, just like Richards, Luongo, Hossa, Alfredsson, Pronger, and other guys with borderline-illegal contracts did. Do you guys hate them too?

I'm surprised at the Kovalchuk hate, he's pretty awesome if only for this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2US4iaPjag

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
CALLY!

Keep that train rolling!

EDIT: If this is called a distinct kicking motion but the one in the earlier series wasn't, I swear...

Woo! Goal!

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Haha, god, fuck you Devils. Rangers are winning this game and the Cup.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Uncle Gary will not be denied NY vs LA

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
How you guys are seeing a DISTINCT kicking motion there escapes me, esp. when the call on the ice was good goal.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
How did that not go in?!?

EDIT: Jesus Christ, that was the most ridiculous angle ever, I'm surprised he even got it past the FIRST post. Impressive/so goddamn close wow.

And yeah, I thought it looked like he just took his left leg forward, not necessarily distinct kicking. Definitely not distinctive enough to overrule the good-goal call.

Quick

Banned
Explain please brah for us americans.

I tuned in to see that he was on the tail end of a rant. He was showing broadcasters between benches who got out of the way of coaches shouting at each other, then finishes with a clip of Torts and Debouer shouting with Healey getting out of the way and Pierre just standing there. He acknowledges Healey after.

sefskillz

shitting in the alley outside your window
78.5 Disallowed Goals – Apparent goals shall be disallowed by the Referee and the appropriate announcement made by the Public Address Announcer for the following reasons:
(i) When the puck has been directed, batted or thrown into the net by an attacking player other than with a stick.
*shrugs*

sefskillz

the only kicking motion i saw was the collective leg of the NYC media market as uncle gary's pursed lips brought them closer to climax

rule 78.5 section i) -> no goal. nhl owes NJ an apology

Quick

Banned
the only kicking motion i saw was the collective leg of the NYC media market as uncle gary's pursed lips brought them closer to climax

rule 78.5 section i) -> no goal. nhl owes NJ an apology

vNfuX.gif

~Kinggi~

Banned
If only there were some place, a website perhaps, where the NHL clearly laid out the rules of the game.

Ive seen plenty of goals off a skate this playoffs that were allowed, and like i said in the part you chose not to quote, both commentators literally said its okay if its off the skate and was directed, but not kicked.

So there is something "unofficial" going on with these rules.

Socreges

Banned
Ive seen plenty of goals off a skate this playoffs that were allowed, and like i said in the part you chose not to quote, both commentators literally said its okay if its off the skate and was directed, but not kicked.

So there is something "unofficial" going on with these rules.
I chose not to quote it because commentators are not all-knowing arbiters. They can be wrong.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
I chose not to quote it because commentators are not all-knowing arbiters. They can be wrong.

In this case it doesn't even matter about whether "directing" is legal or not. Callahan is obviously turning and stopping in order to avoid running headlong into the net, and that's what you have to do with your skates to make that quick turn. It doesn't even hit his skate, it hits him up high on the shin. It's an obviously good goal, which is why it was called as such.

sefskillz

In this case it doesn't even matter about whether "directing" is legal or not. Callahan is obviously turning and stopping in order to avoid running headlong into the net, and that's what you have to do with your skates to make that quick turn. It doesn't even hit his skate, it hits him up high on the shin. It's an obviously good goal.

*boggle* he's not coming from any angle that would have him going into the goal. he was skating across, parallel to the crease.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vrF9QKBst1M
1:38 is a good look

Top Bottom