• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL '12 Playoffs |OT2| NHL ratings up 50%; GAF ratings down 90%

Probably the only one here who doesn't want LA to win it all right now. Though that is hoping the Rangers make it to the finals over NJ. If NJ makes it...... I hope somehow both teams lose and we have no winner...

I said just a few posts before yours that I dont want LA to win, and Dastardly and Heretic are no Kings fans either. The Rangers are by far the least bad option left.

I said just a few posts before yours that I dont want LA to win, and Dastardly and Heretic are no Kings fans either. The Rangers are by far the least bad option left.

Woo!!!

It was mostly drowned out by the Kings supporters so I didn't see it. Plus with the other LA teams out of the basketball playoffs, I see a major increase in Kings fans coming, mostly for the worse.

Loving the saltiness from Phoenix.

I just wish Doan et al had been a little more self-overhearing. The Coyotes have been no strangers to cheap shots in these playoffs - wasn't there even a knee on knee that they didn't get a penalty on in Game 2 or 3? But even if there was a missed call in Game 5's overtime, criticizing the referees and playing the victim card is an extremely ignominous way to go out.

Cake Boss

Banned
He is a douche but undeniable he has been a very good goalie this year. I wonder if he makes the move north, if not the Devils seem like a perfect match for him.

Every crappy goalie shines under a trap system then goes away the year after.

Mason
Leclaire
Elliot
Bryzgalov
And now Smith.

All just average and mediocre goalies look superhuman when playing behind the trap.

Cactus

Banned
I guess I get being so bitter at the team that knocked your team out, but I could never understand rooting for a slug like Kovalchuk.

If it wasn't for Kovalchuck I wouldn't mind the Devils winning. I don't want him rewarded for his contract shenanigans.

I don't understand the Kovalchuck hate. It was Lamoriello (with pressure from ownership) along with Kovalchuk's agent that structured the contract. Kovalchuk just signed it, just like Richards, Luongo, Hossa, Alfredsson, Pronger, and other guys with borderline-illegal contracts did. Do you guys hate them too?

I don't understand the Kovalchuck hate. It was Lamoriello (with pressure from ownership) along with Kovalchuk's agent that structured the contract. Kovalchuk just signed it, just like Richards, Luongo, Hossa, Alfredsson, Pronger, and other guys with borderline-illegal contracts did. Do you guys hate them too?

My problem with Kovy stems from his trip to L.A. when the Kings were courting him. The Kings rolled out the red carpet for him and had players show him around town. After he signed with the Devils he then said he was never close to signing with the Kings and only went to L.A. to meet with the Kings because his wife wanted to visit L.A. That is a bitch move

Solo

I could never have imagined in my wildest dreams after the Habs beat the Kings for the Cup in 1993 that:

a) the Kings would get back to the Cup final first, and
b) it would be 19 years later

:_(

Curufinwe

I still think about Carter missing that net all the time. I would have loved to see what would have happened in a game 7. It is going to suck if Carter gets his name of the cup and he is basically a bystander on this team.

Did Gagne play enough regular season games to get his name on it if LA wins?

Brad Richards, right?

Did some quick research. Gagne played 34 games this season. To get your name on the cup, you need to at least play 41 games OR play 1 game in the SCF.

:(

They allow exceptions, it is mostly so that you don't just put half of your farm team on the cup as well, usually with an injury like that I would imagine they will still put their name on the cup. Great example is Konstantinov for Detroit in 98, though that was a different type of injury and a whole different story.

Cactus

Banned
Wasn't there an issue with putting Savard's name on the cup last year? Did he end up getting it on there? If so, I expect Gagne's name to be added if the Kings win.

fallout

Wasn't there an issue with putting Savard's name on the cup last year? Did he end up getting it on there? If so, I expect Gagne's name to be added if the Kings win.
Yeah, they petitioned and Savard was added. He only played 25 games and was out with a concussion. The minimum is 41 games. They also petitioned to add Steve Kampfer (played 38 games) and Shane Hnidy (played 3 games and 1 post season game), but the league denied those requests. I'm guessing Gagne will likely be on there.

Source: http://www.necn.com/09/28/11/Kampfe...anding_sports.html?blockID=569058&feedID=3352

I hate him for several reasons, he seems like a prick, he got an insane contract even though he had accomplished very little in the NHL, he was involved case of cap circumvention ever, and he plays for the Devils.

I hope Gagne gets his name on the cup if the Kings win. Wasnt there a report about him being close to coming back? I bet they get him into at least 1 SCF game so that it isnt even an issue.

Socreges

Banned
Savard and Konstantinov had played with their teams for several seasons, though. It'd be kind of weird to me if Gagne was included.

Meanwhile Jack Johnson played almost twice as many games for the Kings this season as Gagne, was a King for six seasons, and definitely won't have his name on the Cup because he was traded.

lol.....it wasn't a penalty
lol....yes it was

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dlg4qpHumVk (watch his left knee)

50.1 Kneeing - Kneeing is the act of a player leading with his knee and in some cases extending his leg outwards to make contact with his opponent.

Socreges

Banned
I hate him for several reasons, he seems like a prick, he got an insane contract even though he had accomplished very little in the NHL, he was involved case of cap circumvention ever, and he plays for the Devils.
He had scored 38 goals or more in the 7 seasons since his rookie year.

Your post kinda boils down to "seems like a prick". That goes for about 90% of players in the NHL.

He had scored 38 goals or more in the 7 seasons since his rookie year.

Your post kinda boils down to "seems like a prick". That goes for about 90% of players in the NHL.

I meant in terms of winning stuff, like divisions of playoff series. I know that he can score goals and do nothing else. You really think 90% of players seem like pricks? I totally disagree with that.

Cake Boss

Banned
giroux1.png

Lulz.

Not sure if Giroux was that of a beast before he got injured or that Fleury was that crappy. Or maybe both.

So he should have single handedly made the thrashers not suck? What should he have done?

Maybe if he was a 2 way player they would have been better, but I am still not sure what that has to do with anything. Kovalchuk is a very overrated player, and I am sure I am not the only person that hates him. 6 goals in 15 games and a -6 so far these playoffs for one of the highest played players in the NHL.

Cactus

Banned
Maybe if he was a 2 way player they would have been better, but I am still not sure what that has to do with anything. Kovalchuk is a very overrated player, and I am sure I am not the only person that hates him. 6 goals in 15 games and a -6 so far these playoffs for one of the highest played players in the NHL.

Technically he's not even in the top-50 if you look at player salaries for the 2011/2012 season. He starts making boatloads of cash next year.

Also, he's obviously been one of the best players on the Devils, despite your attempts to undermine his contribution. He's been around a point-per-game since the beginning (even though he played a few games injured) while averaging over 20 minutes against top defensive pairings. Plus, there were games where he dominated and controlled the flow of play. In the last three games against the Flyers, for example, he put up 6 points and a +2.

Solo

Did you hate him before he became a NEW JERSEY DEVIL? Be honest.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
I don't know who to feel worse for yankee, or Socreges and the fact he spent the time and effort to find that post.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
I don't know who to feel worse for yankee, or Socreges and the fact he spent the time and effort to find that post.

I never understand these sorts of posts. As if it's some long arduous process to find someone's past posts about a certain subject that required hours of toiling away.

In other news, it sounds like Dubinsky may indeed be in the lineup tonight. Having one forward in that hasn't played since Saturday and another that hasn't played in weeks could be a really really good thing for the team's energy.

Tonight is pretty much the series, at least as far as the Rangers are concerned. Gotta consider this an elimination game.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Does anyone else hate the fact that we have two active threads? The off-season one is such a dumb gimmick, and shouldn't exist until the playoffs are over. Yeah, it was funny when Manics would start it every season, but there's no reason that all NHL discussion can't happen in here.

Curufinwe

I meant in terms of winning stuff, like divisions of playoff series. I know that he can score goals and do nothing else. You really think 90% of players seem like pricks? I totally disagree with that.

Fleury and the general wackiness of that series did help Giroux's stats, but he was already averaging nearly a point per game in the playoffs before this season.

Flyers needed scorers then and he does score, which I already said. Good job on finding that post though. Cant really argue with that. Here is a post by me before the Devils signed Ilya:

I hate to see him go but I am in favor of anything that makes it so Leighton is not our goalie next year. I never want to see him play for the Flyers again. Also lol at the Islanders if they sign Kovalchuk for that much money. Guy is a loser. I wouldnt want him on my team at all after what he did in the playoffs this year.

So yes I hated him before he was a Devil.

Top Bottom