• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL 13 GM Connected Sim League (Xbox 360)

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Dallas is first? That's hilarious, because Phoenix is last. The only two AI teams were first and last. Good choice Red! :p

EDIT: damn, I can claim someone off waivers but I can't actually look at the player, that sucks. I have to go look for the player manually :/ PHONE APP TO THE MENU LOADING TIME RESCUE.

Free 3star prospect LW from Soc? I'll take it.

How do waiver claims actually work? Which team gets to claim first? Or did everyone get that message and I was just the first to see/claim the guy?

Wow, assistant coach goes "best lines" every time someone is injured, and because that happens pretty much every time, that means I'll have to re-do my lines every day from now on? That. Sucks. Balls.

Smiley90

So... Uh... Crosby is leading the league in hits atm. I'm not kidding. He has 23 hits, 2nd is hartnell with 21.

Wat.

Socreges

Banned
Free 3star prospect LW from Soc? I'll take it.
You apologized, too, but I'm not sure why. I was actually confused since I thought you somehow got my 4 star prospect that didn't have to go through waivers. Martin will never see the ice in his career, so he could afford to go. Was just unnecessarily taking up a roster spot and I had to get Whitney in there.

Plus I've got Kreider and Schwartz at LW who are both 4 star prospects.

Smiley90

You apologized, too, but I'm not sure why. I was actually confused since I thought you somehow got my 4 star prospect that didn't have to go through waivers. Martin will never see the ice in his career, so he could afford to go. Was just unnecessarily taking up a roster spot and I had to get Whitney in there.

Plus I've got Kreider and Schwartz at LW who are both 4 star prospects.

Free players are always nice, and he only has 1 year left anyway, worst case I got a player for free to look at for a year, best case he has a nice development year. :D plus, my wings aren't really deep at all :(

The real "evil" moves will start once the first offseason-offer sheeting begins.

Smiley90

Isn't he also 23? You mentioned that the stars are their ceilings. And three stars, from everything I've seen, is quite low. Like low-mid 70s. Am I wrong and can he actually exceed that?

They can exceed their stars, yes. I don't remember who, but I saw one guy who still had a 3star yellow ceiling, but when you look at his overall stars (you can see overall stars in the contracts e.g.), he was already listed at 3.5 stars :lol

So yeah, players CAN eclipse their potential. It just doesn't happen that commonly, but it all depends on how their development goes. A player is always more likely NOT to reach their ceiling, but sometimes players SURPASS their ceiling. It's realistic imho?

So can anyone explain to me how waivers work here? I'm only using the iPhone app right now, and I have no idea if the FAs I signed are going to be added onto my roster.

Socreges

Banned
They can exceed their stars, yes. I don't remember who, but I saw one guy who still had a 3star yellow ceiling, but when you look at his overall stars (you can see overall stars in the contracts e.g.), he was already listed at 3.5 stars :lol

So yeah, players CAN eclipse their potential. It just doesn't happen that commonly, but it all depends on how their development goes. A player is always more likely NOT to reach their ceiling, but sometimes players SURPASS their ceiling. It's realistic imho?
misc-are-you-fucking-kidding-me-clean-l-300x295.png

So I took this:

Smiley90 said:
With regards to your other question:

Stars = ceiling. Colour of stars = likelihood of reaching that ceiling.

White = full potential reached/prime
Green = very very likely to reach their ceiling
Yellow = likely to reach their ceiling
Red = unlikely to reach their ceiling.
...to mean that their stars... represent a ceiling. But they are not a ceiling. The stars are really another sort of likelihood. Which is definitely a more interesting system.

Definitely wouldn't have let that guy go through waivers if I knew he could exceed three stars. Ah well.

But if he exceeds 3 stars... so help me God, Smiley...

Hilti92

Looks like I have won the Jagr, Kaberle and Visnovsky sweeps. That will give my team a much needed boost. Looking forward to the trade deadline ;)

sefskillz

shitting in the alley outside your window
is there a web version of gm connected or is the iphone app the only way? i cant find shit on ea's site. IM NOT FEELING VERY CONNECTED

@Crazed Changed my mind about Datsyuk, but it took me like 45 minutes to juggle fairness and also work within my paper thin cap space. Couldn't figure out a better deal than the one I offered, feel free to counter.

Cake Boss

Banned
What in the fuck? Wake up with a hangover to shit shit. 2-4-0 record and Iginla, Girardi and Vanek all injured. What the fuck.

And the AI went ahead and replaced vanek with a defensive dman lol.

Marvie_3

Banned
What in the fuck? Wake up with a hangover to shit shit. 2-4-0 record and Iginla, Girardi and Vanek all injured. What the fuck.

I noticed the AI line changes made zero sense in my test league. At one point I had 5 defensemen on my bottom 2 lines and 2 forwards in my d-pairings.

Hilti92

Yeah, definitely too many injuries in NHL this year. In dynasty, I have had 5 guys injured at a time, at any given time. Also, sent in an offer on Carter. Something else too, a question to those using the ios app.. Is the menus in the app as slow as on the 360?

RS4-

If it makes you feel better, Shea Weber is injured.

(but I'm still 3-1).

Socreges, I'll be holding on to Sedin for now. Going to work through some line chemistry for a bit.

Marvie_3

Banned
If it makes you feel better, Shea Weber is injured.

(but I'm still 3-1).

Socreges, I'll be holding on to Sedin for now. Going to work through some line chemistry for a bit.
I have the other Sedin, Brian Campbell, and Cory Schneider. If we combine our strength our ginger powers would be unstoppable.

RS4-

Does the chemisty matter in GM mode? Because I keep putting penner with Kopitar and see if it helps with the offence.

I don't think so, I believe only HUT actually takes it into consideration. I'm just doing it to keep a mix of different players instead of being loaded with a certain skill set like playmakers only or some garbage like that.

I have the other Sedin, Brian Campbell, and Cory Schneider. If we combine our strength our ginger powers would be unstoppable.

Might have to do it, need the all ginge line. Need Schneider to move up to D.

edit - Ugh, Weber gone for 12 games. I'm just glad it isn't half the season.

6for8

Martin will never see the ice in his career, so he could afford to go.

I put in a claim on Martin as well. I assume its the team with the fewest points that put in a claim, keeps him. I will return him if successful. Must be nice to have so many gold potential players.

Didn't have a Captain set. I could have been 5-0 but with no leadership my team was lost. I am changing all my players numbers to improve team chemistry, each line will receive a catchy nickname like 'crazy eights' or 'bonanza'. I will try a new AI build as well and see if that has an effect. Perry, you are still crashing the net so quit bitching.

Only been able to access the free agent pool once. Do you think there can only be one member using it at a time?

Smiley90

Same "original" team doesn't matter, line setup (player types) DOES matter , however.

Socreges

Banned
I put in a claim on Martin as well. I assume its the team with the fewest points that put in a claim, keeps him. I will return him if successful. Must be nice to have so many gold potential players.

Didn't have a Captain set. I could have been 5-0 but with no leadership my team was lost. I am changing all my players numbers to improve team chemistry, each line will receive a catchy nickname like 'crazy eights' or 'bonanza'. I will try a new AI build as well and see if that has an effect. Perry, you are still crashing the net so quit bitching.

Only been able to access the free agent pool once. Do you think there can only be one member using it at a time?
Woah... what? Captain? AI build? Are all of these options within Connected?.... We have to go deeper.

Also lolz @ "gold". I'd say yellow. Gold can't be after green. Thanks for saying you'd return him. Very kind.

And weird about the FA pool. Never had trouble getting in.

Smiley90

Hmmm I wonder how waiver claims work too now, hearing that at least 2 people have put in claims. How do they work in real life? 24th in the league here!

Also, few additional tips: for free agent signings, the following things matter:

-Salary&Term offered
-Number of players from hole country/area (e.g. Kubina/Kaberle helped land Jagr)
-Likelyhood of playing (e.g. A RW will more likely go to a team where there aren't other strong RW's)

And came up with a better explanation for stars:

Like I said before, green = highy likely to reach potential indicated by stars, yellow = likely, red = unlikely.

Now, an example. You go to scouting, you see a lot of young players you know nothing about. They have ratings anyway, say the one kid has 4 yellow stars. Meaning the prediction is he's likely to reach 4 stars. Great! You go scout, learn more, the prediction changes.

Say, he's now 4 green stars - perfect! After observing him longer your scouts feel he's highly likely to reach 4 stars, which, realisticlly, means he'll end up as a 4 OR 4.5star player in the end, if he develops extraordinarily well.

Say, he changed from 4 yellow to 3 green stars. Well. Now the "likely to reach 4" is a "highly likely to reach 3". He might still end up reachig 3.5, but 4 is a bit of a stretch.

So I'd say yellow stars = -1 up to stars
Green = up to stars +-0.5

Or so.

Smiley90

Appreciate the homework, Smiley. That all makes sense.

More homework! Found info on waivers;

If more than one team puts in a claim on a player during the waiver period, then the team with the higher waiver priority's claim is accepted.

If the claim is before November 1, waiver priority is based on the previous year's standings, with the team with the worst record having first priority and the team with the best record having last priority.

If the claim is after November 1, waiver priority is based on the current year's standings, defined as the lowest percentage of possible points. Toronto currently has 2nd priority on all waiver transactions.

Sooo... Columbus was last in 11/12, so if I get Martin we know that's how the game operates too, and it really should. (we're still before november ingame, right)

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
I have a sick team, wow. I have Lou, Biron and Thomas as my goalies. Going to run with Lou and Biron as the backup so if anyone's interested in Thomas (86 rating) lemme know.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
I can trade you Brent Sopel for him lol

I have a feeling he'll retire in a year
I'll pm you about it. Going to go over my team more thoroughly and see what I need. If anyone else is interested in Thomas let me know as well.

Swance

Neo Member
I need to clear some cap space. Morrow, Kunitz, Antropov, Cullen, Lombardi, Kuba, Jackman, Murray could all be dealt. I could possibly move Chara as well. All offers welcome.

Tampa Bay

So... Uh... Crosby is leading the league in hits atm. I'm not kidding. He has 23 hits, 2nd is hartnell with 21.

Wat.

He just had to be put on the Wings, gave him some motivation to not be a little girl.

@Crazed Changed my mind about Datsyuk, but it took me like 45 minutes to juggle fairness and also work within my paper thin cap space. Couldn't figure out a better deal than the one I offered, feel free to counter.

Yeah, the trade was a little too lopsided in your favor, I know you tempted me with Datsyuk, but all of the players you were asking for were around 20-25 or so with 4 star potential. And what you offered me were players all over 30 who more than likely were done growing and probably won't be as good as the players you had asked for in the near future. If I'm trading Crosby, you are going to half to wow me. I could take Datsyuk off of your hands if you want, but keep in mind that he is close to 35 now so it slightly hurts the trade value. I'll take a look here and see if maybe we can do something.

Top Bottom