• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL 13 GM Connected Sim League (Xbox 360)

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Yeah, I actually felt under pressure to get it done. Was pretty fun with the back and forth and theh deadline and all. i'm enjoying this mode.
:lol I know, me and Sox had been working this out for a few days now, it was originally going to be a 3 way trade, but we switched it up since it was the deadline. Most fun I've had so far in the GM mode, I had a few lines out there.

Good news is I pulled ahead in the standings again, didn't suffer many injuries, and I improved my team both long term and short term. Gave up some of my immediate future to secure a cup run, hopefully Pronger and the rest of my D can stay injury free.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
:lol I know, me and Sox had been working this out for a few days now, it was originally going to be a 3 way trade, but we switched it up since it was the deadline. Most fun I've had so far in the GM mode, I had a few lines out there.

Good news is I pulled ahead in the standings again, didn't suffer many injuries, and I improved my team both long term and short term. Gave up some of my immediate future to secure a cup run, hopefully Pronger and the rest of my D can stay injury free.

Uhhhh... About that... :lol Let's see what happens.

What makes me happy though is that a team like Dallas that is so stacked IS up there in the standings, so the simulation engine isn't total crap.

Marvie_3

Banned

What makes me happy though is that a team like Dallas that is so stacked IS up there in the standings, so the simulation engine isn't total crap.
This game also picked Vancouver to win the Cup last year. Clearly, realism is nowhere to be found in this series.

Smiley90

This game also picked Vancouver to win the Cup last year. Clearly, realism is nowhere to be found in this series.

Hey there, it got like 14 out of 16 matchups correct the year before if I remember correctly. That's like 6 more than any of us did. And didn't it also predict a Boston-Vancouver final the year before that at the BEGINNING of the season? It can't be that bad.

Red_Man

Worst part about this is I have a feeling I'll get knocked out in the playoffs to a 8th seed a la Vancouver, all while giving up some of my immediate future. At least I still have good building blocks and some good picks in this years draft to cover my ass.

Smiley90

I really hope the drafting engine isn't fucked up. Has anyone tried it yet? What can you choose? Best player for Exact Position, Forward/D/Goalie, and best player available? for each round individually?

e.g. I could say 1st Round: Best Player Available
2nd Round: Pick Best Forward available
3rd Round: Pick Best LW available

? And then does the engine pick according to Central Scouting rank or to overall potential? :/

Socreges

Banned

Are you saying that the Kane trade makes you better in the short term, or are you talking about other trades?

Marvie_3

Banned
I really hope the drafting engine isn't fucked up. Has anyone tried it yet? What can you choose? Best player for Exact Position, Forward/D/Goalie, and best player available? for each round individually?

e.g. I could say 1st Round: Best Player Available
2nd Round: Pick Best Forward available
3rd Round: Pick Best LW available

? And then does the engine pick according to Central Scouting rank or to overall potential? :/
It's basically the same as a fantasy sports draft ranking. You organize the list based on who you want and it will draft the highest rated person left on your list when its your pick.

Smiley90

It's basically the same as a fantasy sports draft ranking. You organize the list based on who you want and it will draft the highest rated person left on your list when its your pick.

Oh for real? So only for the first round I assume, since otherwise it'd require way too much, so those just get... best player available drafted?

Marvie_3

Banned
Oh for real? So only for the first round I assume, since otherwise it'd require way too much, so those just get... best player available drafted?
I honestly can't remember if you can do it for other rounds. I didn't spend a whole lot of time messing with it during my test season. After the first round its basically a crapshoot anyway.

Smiley90

I honestly can't remember if you can do it for other rounds. I didn't spend a whole lot of time messing with it during my test season. After the first round its basically a crapshoot anyway.

It'd just be nice to at least be able to tell the CPU to draft for position. e.g. I have loads of d-men, so I want to draft a few forwards in the first few rounds. But damnit, putting in names makes it interesting. Am I gonna put a presumed low pick and possibly waste it since he'll be gone? Or am I counting on other people not putting his name down? dang. This is gonna be interesting. Do you remember how many names?

I'd assume first round is names then, and other rounds CPU drafts best player available, hopefully we can at least pick position or forward/d/goalie or so.

Red_Man

Are you saying that the Kane trade makes you better in the short term, or are you talking about other trades?
I got Kane + Halll + Hamhuis all for mostly picks and prospects. Kane is the exception where I gave up roster players. All trades help me right now, and Hall and Kane are two players I can build around. Hamhuis adds stability on my D line seeing as Timonen and Pronger are kind of sketchy with injuries. If those two can stall healthy, then I have a good chance at the cup.

Swance

Neo Member
Did anyone notice that Lundqvist has scored a goal?

Anyway, I'm first in the division now and I plan to stay there.

Socreges

Banned
Did not notice that.

Now leads all goalies in both shutouts and goals. Awesome.

I got Kane + Halll + Hamhuis all for mostly picks and prospects. Kane is the exception where I gave up roster players.
Don't forget Pavelski. You've got RWs coming out the ass, though, so I can understand why you did.

Also, looks like you traded Campbell. I think he's the only 4.5 G prospect in the game. You're putting a lot of faith in Lu down the road. ;)

In: Parise, Burrows, Brunette
Out: Markstrom, Schwartz, Martin, Holland, 1st, 4th

Went from one 79ovr LW to four LWs averaging 83. Couple great prospects gone, but they were made redundant anyhow. Might as well be for Parise.

Hilti92

My apologes Socreges, I have been meaning to reply to let you know. Just once I read a pm I usually forget to respond. I also didn't realize the schedule hasn't advanced over the past few days so I thought you knew I accepted it. I'll pay more attention GAF. My bad.
Well, not to me.

mibupe and I made a deal for Parise.

He said, and I quote: "Send the trade. I'm good for it."

That was three days ago. Since then he hasn't accepted the offers and hasn't been responding to my messages asking what's up (despite being online). It meant that I couldn't pursue another 1st line LW during that time and couldn't trade away the prospects/picks that were involved in our deal.

No one's asking you to take this as seriously as CrazedArabMan is, but come on... don't waste my time.

Rubber Ducky

Neo Member
Buffalo is 9-1 in the last ten. I guess we're making a desperation playoff run.

I should have traded my first rounder while it looked like it was going to be a top five pick.

Delryk

Lol. Thibk i was the only one with no injuries this year.. Up to this sim anyway. 33 and 41 games.. Ahahah.. Out for the season!

Cake Boss

Banned
I have no fucking idea what the fuck is wrong with this team, I have tried everything. Doesnt help that my 2nd C is gone for 14 games as well.

Edit: figured out that this team takes the most penalties and gets the least amount of PP oppertunities, so I scratched Ben Eager (leading the team with 111 pim and -4) and see what happens.

MacAttack

Also, looks like you traded Campbell. I think he's the only 4.5 G prospect in the game. You're putting a lot of faith in Lu down the road. ;)

Subban is a 4.5 goalie prospect. I have Cam Ward holding it down until he is ready, but hopefully it's sooner rather than later so I can get a return on Ward before he starts to decline.

A rather poor set of games by my team, only went 1-1-2. But now I have some new faces so I'm interested to see how these new players can play like in their first stint with my team. Just need to get Wheeler and Orlov back from injury and I'll be ready to go.

Red_Man

I hope Cammalleri and Briere are as deadly in the playoffs in the SIM as they are in real life...

Smiley90

Here's hoping Luongo lives up to his rep, too!

I just want to win the division and a playoff round. That'd be enough for this season.

I want to MAKE the playoffs.... then I'm happy and anything can happen. At least that's what I keep telling myself.

LOVING the mode, good job Marvie setting it all up.

EDIT: HRNG I just realized I'll be away from my xbox next friday til monday. I really hope the draft/resigning stage doesn't fall on that weekend, but I fear it might. mhmm.

Socreges

Banned
Couple Qs.. probably for Smiley. How often do RFAs not accept the QOs in Be a GM mode? Just the ones that have had huge seasons?

My apologes Socreges, I have been meaning to reply to let you know. Just once I read a pm I usually forget to respond. I also didn't realize the schedule hasn't advanced over the past few days so I thought you knew I accepted it. I'll pay more attention GAF. My bad.
No worries. It was just really confusing. Made more sense that you'd gotten cold feet and were ignoring my GAF/Xbox messages.

Smiley90

Couple Qs.. probably for Smiley. How often do RFAs not accept the QOs in Be a GM mode? Just the ones that have had huge seasons?

No worries. It was just really confusing. Made more sense that you'd gotten cold feet and were ignoring my GAF/Xbox messages.

Nearly noone accepts QO's. only really bad prospects/depth players do, and only towards the end of the offseason. QO's are just good to have so you don't lose rights to them. But yeah, you'll HAVE to make them a bigger contract offer and they'll tell you how much they want. QO's at least get you some picks if you can't agree on a contract.

Marvie_3

Banned
Nearly noone accepts QO's. only really bad prospects/depth players do, and only towards the end of the offseason. QO's are just good to have so you don't lose rights to them. But yeah, you'll HAVE to make them a bigger contract offer and they'll tell you how much they want. QO's at least get you some picks if you can't agree on a contract.

I've never had a RFA turn down a qualifying offer before.

Socreges

Banned
So QOs keep their rights as you negotiate, but meanwhile someone can overpay and give them an offer sheet? But if you take them to arbitration they can't be given an offer sheet.. right?

Hopefully we only see one or two offer sheets, tops. AFAIK there have only been seven since the lockout. Six of those were matched.

Marvie says otherwise... Hmm

Marvie_3

Banned
So QOs keep their rights as you negotiate, but meanwhile someone can overpay and give them an offer sheet? But if you take them to arbitration they can't be given an offer sheet.. right?

Hopefully we only see one or two offer sheets, tops. AFAIK there have only been seven since the lockout. Six of those were matched.

Marvie says otherwise... Hmm

There's no arbitration.

Smiley90

Say what? Hardly any RFA's accept QO's cause they're so low... QO's are like 1.5 mio while players ask for 3?

Soc, you get the 2 days of exclusive negotiation where player's contract demands will be lower for resigning. You submit a QO (just to be safe) while at the same time submitting a bigger contract offer. If they turn down your contract offer and it's now past July 1st, the player can be offer sheeted but you can still negotiate with him.

Arbitration isn't in it because EA, that's why. NHL 13 is the first game that has real waiver rules, so there'a that.

Marvie_3

Banned
Say what? Hardly any RFA's accept QO's cause they're so low... QO's are like 1.5 mio while players ask for 3?

Soc, you get the 2 days of exclusive negotiation where player's contract demands will be lower for resigning. You submit a QO (just to be safe) while at the same time submitting a bigger contract offer. If they turn down your contract offer and it's now past July 1st, the player can be offer sheeted but you can still negotiate with him.

Arbitration isn't in it because EA, that's why. NHL 13 is the first game that has real waiver rules, so there'a that.
Not sure what game you're playing but I've never had one turned down before.

Smiley90

Not sure what game you're playing but I've never had one turned down before.

Are you talking about qualifying offers or contract offers? I'm honestly surprised. They always ask for way more than QO's, and they've only accepted mine towards the end of the offseason, if even. If you click you can choose between qualify and submit offer. Just wanna make sure we're talking about the same thing.

Rubber Ducky

Neo Member
Are you talking about qualifying offers or contract offers? I'm honestly surprised. They always ask for way more than QO's, and they've only accepted mine towards the end of the offseason, if even. If you click you can choose between qualify and submit offer. Just wanna make sure we're talking about the same thing.

This has been my experience too.

Only young players and depth players accept qualifying offers and it's usually pretty late in the offseason. Good players expect a higher salary than what's required for the qualifying offer.

As long as you offer the player enough money, the contract offers themselves are almost always accepted, so I would assume that's what Marvie is referring to.

Smiley90

This has been my experience too.

Only young players and depth players accept qualifying offers and it's usually pretty late in the offseason. Good players expect a higher salary than what's required for the qualifying offer.

As long as you offer the player enough money, the contract offers themselves are almost always accepted, so I would assume that's what Marvie is referring to.

This.

Socreges

Banned
I can't really see the fun in having an arbitration hearing in a game.
I'm not suggesting they program offices, lawyers and depict persuasive arguments on either side. It would be simulated, based on stats and precedent, but obviously with a element of randomness. There would be a risk because it might end up costing you more, but it would also protect your RFA from being given an offer sheet.

*Click*, *Go to Arbitration*, *Simulate day*, *Get result*

Smiley90

I'm not suggesting they program offices, lawyers and depict persuasive arguments on either side. It would be simulated, based on stats and precedent, but obviously with a element of randomness. There would be a risk because it might end up costing you more, but it would also protect your RFA from being given an offer sheet.

*Click*, *Go to Arbitration*, *Simulate day*, *Get result*

It took them until this year to have proper "time played/age" waiver rules instead of "2way contract = no waivers", so I'm expecting arbitration for NHL 19.

Socreges

Banned
Really gotta make sure you get your RFAs signed before July 1st because of offer sheets (Smiley/Ducky, is getting them signed before 07/01 ever a problem?). People are going to be using them like crazy.

- No such thing as "small market teams". Everyone can spend to the cap. And there will be a ton of cap space out there.
- Compensation is not really enough. Future picks are worth less since there's less assurance that our league will ever see those players reach their potential.
- GMs in real life are concerned about maintaining good relationships.

Smiley90

Really gotta make sure you get your RFAs signed before July 1st because of offer sheets (Smiley/Ducky, is getting them signed before 07/01 ever a problem?). People are going to be using them like crazy.

- No such thing as "small market teams". Everyone can spend to the cap. And there will be a ton of cap space out there.
- Compensation is not really enough. Future picks are worth less since there's less assurance that our league will ever see those players reach their potential.
- GMs in real life are concerned about maintaining good relationships.

Yep, all your points are valid :lol hence I said there'll be loads of offer sheets.

And well, Marvie said we'll get two days to sign them. I'd prefer more days (to allow for more negotiating and thus better cap management (since more days to negotiate = more trials to find the perfect deal). If you give them what they want they'll accept but you'll possibly run into cap problems. So yes, it's no problem to get the players you want to stay, it WILL be a problem to keep ALL players you want, which is kinda realistic. And you can always match offer sheets too or hope they accept your offers before they get offer sheeted.

Top Bottom