• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL 13 |OT| You can't lock out virtual hockey

Its not more realistic at all, if anything its less intuitive. They assume that everyone is going to want to a max speed of "speed burst" as soon as they press up on the stick and it makes the players overall more clunky and less controllable. If they're going to add a speed burst, then god dammit put it on a button like FIFA does. At least that way, you have 100% control over your players functions and you can still go at a slower speed without having to gauge where you stick is at and slow down to a crawl the way it is now. Now, it takes him 4-5 seconds just to get skating at a decent speed and thats while pressing all the way up, and players still have the time to catch up to me even tho i just plastered them on the board and they fell on their asses. Its terrible. The NHL team should take a look at what the FIFA team is doing.

And dont even get me started on trying to play Defense in this game. This is easily one of the worst NHL games ive played since they added the skill stick.

Pro tip: Hockey is played on ice. Soccer is played on grass.

Filth

i think im doing much better on defense this year. skating isnt just about holding up and down anymore. you need to take into account how your body is leaning. plus they fixed poke checking. it doesnt lead to a tripping call every time now and actually does work a lot. same goes with across the crease passes. if there's a guy or 2 of defense in between the guy your trying to pass to, most likely its going to be a turn over. im happy with the game. i do notice the goalies give up a shit ton of rebounds and 5 hole goles.

Marvie_3

Banned
Pro tip: Hockey is played on ice. Soccer is played on grass.

What about field hockey or roller hockey?

NHL 13- The game where passing has died.

Dont even see the point of a playmaker anymore.

Passing is fine. Stop trying to pass through people. You also can't hold the trigger down forever like you could in 12. If you charge it up too long the pass recipient won't get a clean grab of it.

Filth

Passing is fine. Stop trying to pass through people. You also can't hold the trigger down forever like you could in 12. If you charge it up too long the pass recipient won't get a clean grab of it.

exactly and plus im pretty sure no one is alegend yet. so everyone is still playing with fairly low ratings. my guy is a beast and im 69 overall as a playmaker.

Filth

Yet I agree with him. Almost everything else is for the better, but the hitting physics and startup animation speed for skating are really broken.

how are the hitting physics messed up? i thought something was wrong to but last night i played my cousin who was flying down the ice and im not sure who i used but i was skating really fast backwards and lined up a hipcheck perfectly and his guy did a flip in the air and laid on the ice for a while. it was the hardest hit ive seen so far while playing.

Marvie_3

Banned
how are the hitting physics messed up? i thought something was wrong to but last night i played my cousin who was flying down the ice and im not sure who i used but i was skating really fast backwards and lined up a hipcheck perfectly and his guy did a flip in the air and laid on the ice for a while. it was the hardest hit ive seen so far while playing.

Hitting physics are messed up because you can hit a guy full speed and nothing happens. Other times you barely get touched and your guy is sent flying.

I've noticed that with my player, if I try to check someone, nothing happens. If I accidentally bump into someone, I can knock them down pretty easily.

Phthisis

Players standing still right beside you can knock your guy head over heels while a full speed check will do little more than stagger them.

It's really apparent if the AI has a hard forecheck going and you collect a rebound from a shot as a D, they will from a standstill check your guy from behind, causing him to fall over and lose the puck with no momentum behind it.

MacAttack

Occasionally passes should be able to sneak through a defenders legs or over/under his stick. It's unfortunate that EA can't fit that into the game without people abusing it.

My Eashl playmaker is still in the low 80's for passing but I'm not seeing noticeable value in increasing it from the 65-70 range of my other players. If there is a clear passing lane I can make the pass regardless of my passer rating.

Edit: Hitting is a pain in the ass, I never know if I'm going to actually hit the guy or just take myself out of the play. Usually means I'll just throw out the chop or poke check instead.

Filth

Hitting physics are messed up because you can hit a guy full speed and nothing happens. Other times you barely get touched and your guy is sent flying.

I've noticed that with my player, if I try to check someone, nothing happens. If I accidentally bump into someone, I can knock them down pretty easily.

something that could probably be fixed with a tuner update. if two people are just skating and not looking for a hit i think balance comes into play and you both go down or the guy with much lower balance falls. but my offensive defense man has checking at like 78 - 80 cant remember the actual stat, and a full speed - hard hit and the guy barely falls so i guess your right. i think ive knocked someone to the ice like 4 times total with my d man.

I have absolutely no idea what you guys are talking about ...sounds like a foreign language

Any good beginner guides or will the tutorials help me ?

Filth

I have absolutely no idea what you guys are talking about ...sounds like a foreign language

Any good beginner guides or will the tutorials help me ?

pretty simple. if you play verses you dont need to worry much about what we're talking about. you pick a team you skate up you skate down a good NORTH to SOUTH D. you attempt to put the puck in the other teams net. :p i never really heard of a tutorial for nhl games. but the right analog controls your stick. left trigger lets you skate backwards. if you have hockey knowledge then itll come to you. you try to set up plays, pass to the open guy. when it comes to EAHL well then it gets a bit more complicated because you only play as your character and you have to rely on your teammates

pretty simple. if you play verses you dont need to worry much about what we're talking about. you pick a team you skate up you skate down a good NORTH to SOUTH D. you attempt to put the puck in the other teams net. :p i never really heard of a tutorial for nhl games. but the right analog controls your stick. left trigger lets you skate backwards. if you have hockey knowledge then itll come to you. you try to set up plays, pass to the open guy. when it comes to EAHL well then it gets a bit more complicated because you only play as your character and you have to rely on your teammates

Hah, yeah most of my time will be spent with Versus I guess - and I presume I'll pick up the lingo through playing.

As I said earlier, the demo sold me on the game because I'm after a sports game to compliment FIFA and the gameplay felt like pure fun.

Same name on XBL btw, so if anyone fancies playing a few games tomorrow evening then it'd be cool - UK btw, but I have a nice fast connection at present.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Hey guys, I found the proper cover.
tumblr_ma7x7kQuiL1qe1x8qo1_500.png

Cake Boss

Banned

No its getting to people sticks just fine its what happens after, we had endless 2 on 0 breakways and we set up the nicest back and forth plays with the goalie spiderman saving everything. So now we just shoot on the goalies pads for a tap in rebound on breakways and odd man rushes.

Its like the game punishes you for being creative and rewards you for garbage goals.

Hah, yeah most of my time will be spent with Versus I guess - and I presume I'll pick up the lingo through playing.

As I said earlier, the demo sold me on the game because I'm after a sports game to compliment FIFA and the gameplay felt like pure fun.

Same name on XBL btw, so if anyone fancies playing a few games tomorrow evening then it'd be cool - UK btw, but I have a nice fast connection at present.

Honestly, i found playing against people much easier than playing against the cpu at pro. My recommendation to you is start against the cpu at easy until u get the feel for it and hop online when u got it. Real people will sometimes make mistakes and you can capitalize on them, cpu hardly ever make any.

Kingpen

Yet I agree with him. Almost everything else is for the better, but the hitting physics and startup animation speed for skating are really broken.

I haven't bought a hockey game for 3 years now. Going to try to give this version a go since they are the only option. Typically nhl2k series always won the head to head for my personal taste every year after playing both for extensive periods of time. At least this years sure looks pretty and has promise of better skating. Hope the PIMS are decently called.

Congrats on your kings Phthisis. I remember way back when telling you they had the raw young talent similar to the pens of 09.

Is this game playable with any of the other control options other than the default?

Phthisis

I haven't bought a hockey game for 3 years now. Going to try to give this version a go since they are the only option. Typically nhl2k series always won the head to head for my personal taste every year after playing both for extensive periods of time. At least this years sure looks pretty and has promise of better skating. Hope the PIMS are decently called.

Congrats on your kings Phthisis. I remember way back when telling you they had the raw young talent similar to the pens of 09.

Is this game playable with any of the other control options other than the default?

Oh hey, you're unbanned hahaha

It's funny, actually: I was talking to Marvie the other night and I made a comment that NHL 13 feels the most "2K-y" to me of all the games they've made, mostly due to the skating system. I wonder if EA Canada hired any of the former devs at VC this year...

In any case, outside of the hitting physics, rubberband AI, and slow skate start-up, the game plays quite well. It's really a treat human vs. human. Human vs. CPU... now that needs some work.

But hit me up if you want to get a game in.

KillerAJD

Did I miss something crucial? Rating on PSN Store is 2/5 with 400 votes... That bad??

A little old, but here's my post in the PS Store thread:
Yup, that was pretty annoying. I'm in California, and the buddies I stayed up with are in Toronto, so they ended up waiting till 5 am waiting for it to come online. My buddy ended up complaining to the EASportsNHL twitter account, and they told him first to take a 2 hour nap when they revealed it wouldn't be online till 6am pst, and then a 5 hour nap when they realized he was eastern time. We ended up being peeved not only because the download wasn't up (which we recognize is most likely Sony's fault), but with which the way the twitter pr person essentially told us to fuck off (which is how we saw it) :( I feel bad for the pr guy, because I'm pretty sure he has no control over when the game goes up, but come on! Then the game didn't even get uploaded at 6am anyways -_- Oh well, guess they got their money at that point regardless. We're not planning on using the Playstation Store pre-order stuff anymore though. I did find it funny that the store's background was a huge NHL 13 ad when I finally checked it later in the day, haha.

We stayed up and actually watched the rating steadily drop, haha. Finally got the game though, and considering the last time I played a hockey game was in the 90's, it's quite a lot of fun. I've never really cared for any sports games, but the league stuff is really enjoyable (when the games aren't laggy). I guess it also helps that I haven't sunk a lot of time in single player hockey, so the difference in speed between online and not isn't really apparent to me.

Kingpen

Oh hey, you're unbanned hahaha

It's funny, actually: I was talking to Marvie the other night and I made a comment that NHL 13 feels the most "2K-y" to me of all the games they've made, mostly due to the skating system. I wonder if EA Canada hired any of the former devs at VC this year...

In any case, outside of the hitting physics, rubberband AI, and slow skate start-up, the game plays quite well. It's really a treat human vs. human. Human vs. CPU... now that needs some work.

But hit me up if you want to get a game in.

I've been unbanned for a long time, just mostly lurking and life stuff. Remarried and baby girl so not as much time. On ps3 now as well.

How are the presentation aspects? Meaning relevant stat overlays, hats for hat tricks, crowd interaction to game situations lots of selectable jerseys?

Can you comment on franchise mode at all?

I used to pick 2k because it had all of the above in spades and actually had a fun fighting engine. I looks like the fighting engine in 13 is not that great. Honestly having the new broadcast cam, Mario lemieux as a legend, the NHL moments live and HUT are the reasons I am checking this out this year.

Hope to see a review vid from you on this.

Xathos

Neo Member
Got this game, but it's taking a bit to get used to the controls. What's the best mode for a beginner to start besides exhibition or practice?

Phthisis

I've been unbanned for a long time, just mostly lurking and life stuff. Remarried and baby girl so not as much time. On ps3 now as well.

How are the presentation aspects? Meaning relevant stat overlays, hats for hat tricks, crowd interaction to game situations lots of selectable jerseys?

Can you comment on franchise mode at all?

I used to pick 2k because it had all of the above in spades and actually had a fun fighting engine. I looks like the fighting engine in 13 is not that great. Honestly having the new broadcast cam, Mario lemieux as a legend, the NHL moments live and HUT are the reasons I am checking this out this year.

Hope to see a review vid from you on this.

The presentation is much improved this year, actually, and the commentary actually talks about the highlights being shown, which is kind of a shocking first for EA.

Franchise mode is as good as it's ever been in terms of usability. They added offer sheets and RFA contracts a few years back, so you get pretty much every realistic facet of being a GM.

Video should be going up tomorrow, but here's the text: http://www.insidegamingdaily.com/2012/09/12/nhl-13-review/

Cake Boss

Banned
I am going to have to learn a new control scheme because the new sprint button is destroying my analogue sticks and doesnt help that my player is only 50-60 overall.

RS4-

Yeah the menus have been shit for years.

Nice to know that the roll back/loop is still in.

As for control issues, the main one for me is that your char is sometimes locked into what looks like the protect animation (but without the puck) as you're making a turn.

Hari Seldon

Why is the UI for this game such shit? I have no idea where the fuck to enter in my online pass at all (PS3 version). The first time I loaded up a game there was a menu option. I clicked on it but there was some fucking error and it wouldn't let me enter in the code. I then played a game figuring I would try later and when I got back out the menu option for the code wasn't there. I then navigated to my online options and I can see my profile saying that I never entered int eh code, but there is no fucking button to enter it in. I can BUY ONE from that screen though. Jesus fucking christ EA. This is the last god damn EA sports game I buy, I'm totally sick of this fucking jank.

Why is the UI for this game such shit? I have no idea where the fuck to enter in my online pass at all (PS3 version). The first time I loaded up a game there was a menu option. I clicked on it but there was some fucking error and it wouldn't let me enter in the code. I then played a game figuring I would try later and when I got back out the menu option for the code wasn't there. I then navigated to my online options and I can see my profile saying that I never entered int eh code, but there is no fucking button to enter it in. I can BUY ONE from that screen though. Jesus fucking christ EA. This is the last god damn EA sports game I buy, I'm totally sick of this fucking jank.

Its been like that for as long as i can remember. I remember in NHL 2011 when id invite my friends or get invited to a "be a pro" team online, it took us literally 15-20 minutes to figure out where the hell to send the invite from and where to retrieve it.

Looks like theres not gonna hockey for a while after todays NHLPA conference. :(

I'm still cautiously optimistic on how NHL 13's EASHL/OTP games will play out. I'm not exactly a fan of having so few base XP points for attributes. The initial games are much sloppier than the ones during the first few weeks in NHL 12. Last year, games were initially slower paced, low scoring, and with goals that mostly looked like they should be goals. This year, games are initially again slower paced and low scoring (which I have no problem with), but goals that should go in are saved and quite weak goals are let in.

I understand,with attributes still being low now, the goalie spiderman maneuvers should becomes less and less effective as players ranked up, but seeing quite a few little, flubber shots trickle between the goalies' pads in just about 20 games played, is concerning. Did EA Vancouver give goalies Playoff Luongo AI for NHL 13 or something?

Some other things:

-I get that the acceptance of a pass relative to its charge is more sensitive this year (which is good in principle, as it adds more skill to the game), but in typical EA fashion, I think the developers went overboard on this one. Perhaps, they want to subtly balance the offensive attributes categories and force players to either choose between adding more XP to hand-eye or shoot accuracy/shot power. As of now, I'm (and telling my buddies) to go heavy into hand-eye, since were a heavy quick passing and cycling team. Then again, this still doesn't mitigate the unrealistic, massive anti-puck force field that develops when you try to pass to a teammate, whose skating anywhere near an opponent.

-The new skating engine really does cut down on the "figure skating" of NHL 12, which was the worst part of the EASHL in that game, yet from playing with the NHL players, I think EA went too far again. Top end NHL players should be able to take sharper turns at higher speeds, which implies things won't be much better for players with legend cards in the coming months. I'd prefer slightly higher agility at higher speeds, but just with more dynamic puck control and balance.

-Though overall, as someone who grew up playing both offense and defense in hockey, the greater focus on positional play from the new skating engine really does benefit me. It's far easier for me to close gaps and force players to the boards as a defensemen in this game than previous ones. Then again, greater focus on position is a bit of a gift and a curse. While it benefits myself, some of buddies on my EASHL team, who either never played hockey or were just bad positional players when playing, are struggling to adapt. Over-pursuing the puck, particularly on the forecheck, punishes players/teams much more in this one than the other games.

In the end, NHL 13 still is one the premier online MP experiences out there and I'll probably be having fun with it and bitching about it for rest the of year.

MacAttack

I'm at pro level for my Eashl player and things are getting more fun. The problem I have is that I shouldn't have to make the choice between playing 100 games or spending more money to unlock attributes before the game becomes enjoyable.

Its not more realistic at all, if anything its less intuitive. They assume that everyone is going to want to do a max speed of "speed burst" as soon as they press up on the stick and it makes the players overall more clunky and less controllable. If they're going to add a speed burst, then god dammit put it on a button like FIFA does. At least that way, you have 100% control over your players functions and you can still go at a slower speed without having to gauge where you stick is at and slow down to a crawl the way it is now. Now, it takes him 4-5 seconds just to get skating at a decent speed and thats while pressing all the way up, and players still have the time to catch up to me even tho i just plastered them on the board and they fell on their asses. Its terrible. The NHL team should take a look at what the FIFA team is doing.

And dont even get me started on trying to play Defense in this game. This is easily one of the worst NHL games ive played since they added the skill stick.
You need to glide. That's a massive part of the game. Putting top end speed on a button doesn't resolve the fact that you're not gliding. Hockey players don't move their feet 100% of the time that they are on the ice.

Marvie_3

Banned
You need to glide. That's a massive part of the game. Putting top end speed on a button doesn't resolve the fact that you're not gliding. Hockey players don't move their feet 100% of the time that they are on the ice.
Or maybe they're moving so fast that it looks like they aren't moving!!!!

Top Bottom