• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL February 2013 |OT| A Black History Month "Miracle in the Making"

Marvie_3

Banned
I don't think you're going to get any feedback/echo with USB headsets. And honestly, I am all for dong a great job on whatever I'm working on, but I just feel that you can get very similar results by just recording the convo as a whole on one end vs delivering separate recordings, assembling said recordings, treating each host with EQ, etc, with a shitload less work. Also, if someone happened to one of the host's recording process during the podcast, that would fuck everything up. I feel all that work could be spend editing the thing which takes a lot fucking longer for podcasts than you would imagine.

I think it's really up to the people hosting the podcast and if they want to set it up to record their mic and deliver it. If everyone is down, and who ever would be syncing/editing is down then I don't see why it is a problem.

I'm not trying to shit on your idea, but just trying to say that the benefits you would have in post by getting everyone's audio separately wouldn't outweigh the effort required compared to just recording the convo from Skype/Vent.

We could just run tests to see how everything sounds and try out different recording methods.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Yeah, I know. I usually don't post stupid shit like that. Guess I was just trying too hard to be funny. Damn, you guys are harsh. You don't fuck around.

I'm already not sure if you're fooling us or honestly feel bad.

Lesson Nr1: never feel bad.
Lesson Nr2: if you feel bad, see Lesson nr1

We're mostly not serious, unless it's about Tabris or FortunateSon.

We could just run tests to see how everything sounds and try out different recording methods.

That sounds like a great idea. Maybe do a five minute test podcast of everyone shooting the shit or something. I am really curious how Skype sounds/if you can change the quality of the audio. Back in the day we used Vent and it sounded amazing, but if Skype can get to that quality (I've only video chatted and I'm guessing the audio suffered from it while loading the video) that would be so clutch since you need to set up a server for Vent

I don't think you're going to get any feedback/echo with USB headsets. And honestly, I am all for dong a great job on whatever I'm working on, but I just feel that you can get very similar results by just recording the convo as a whole on one end vs delivering separate recordings, assembling said recordings, treating each host with EQ, etc, with a shitload less work. Also, if someone happened to one of the host's recording process during the podcast, that would fuck everything up. I feel all that work could be spend editing the thing which takes a lot fucking longer for podcasts than you would imagine.

I think it's really up to the people hosting the podcast and if they want to set it up to record their mic and deliver it. If everyone is down, and who ever would be syncing/editing is down then I don't see why it is a problem.

I'm not trying to shit on your idea, but just trying to say that the benefits you would have in post by getting everyone's audio separately wouldn't outweigh the effort required compared to just recording the convo from Skype/Vent.

I think you're overstating how much extra effort is required to record everybody clean. It's literally just a matter of however many people hitting record at the same time, then exporting a file at the end of the conversation. The person who complies it has to open four (or however many) files. That's it for work that wouldn't have to be done anyways.

There are plenty more benefits to doing that way as well, particularly when it pertains to editing. If you record it all at once, you've only got one volume level to play with. If one person is too loud for whatever reason, there's no way to fix that. You wouldn't be able to edit out a screaming spouse cough, or any other anomaly. Come on man, if a things worth doing, it's worth doing right.

As for what happens if somebody's machine craps out, you record the whole conversation on two different ends anyways. Always be redundant, because it's important to have redundancies.

Anyways, I said I'd be down to help in whatever way I can. I just cringe whenever I'm listening to a podcast and they've got somebody over skype. It sounds like one person is on the other end of a piece of string with a can on the end.

Socreges

Banned
Yeah, I know. I usually don't post stupid shit like that. Guess I was just trying too hard to be funny. Damn, you guys are harsh. You don't fuck around.
tumblr_m8gx1hykwA1qcgqmvo1_500.jpg

Marvie_3

Banned
Blackhawks suck.

*currently dumping salt on my meal*
Dump some down your throat and choke on it fucker.
I think you're overstating how much extra effort is required to record everybody clean. It's literally just a matter of however many people hitting record at the same time, then exporting a file at the end of the conversation. The person who complies it has to open four (or however many) files. That's it for work that wouldn't have to be done anyways.

There are plenty more benefits to doing that way as well, particularly when it pertains to editing. If you record it all at once, you've only got one volume level to play with. If one person is too loud for whatever reason, there's no way to fix that. You wouldn't be able to edit out a screaming spouse cough, or any other anomaly. Come on man, if a things worth doing, it's worth doing right.

As for what happens if somebody's machine craps out, you record the whole conversation on two different ends anyways. Always be redundant, because it's important to have redundancies.

Anyways, I said I'd be down to help in whatever way I can. I just cringe whenever I'm listening to a podcast and they've got somebody over skype. It sounds like one person is on the other end of a piece of string with a can on the end.
If we're not allowed to halfass it then it's not worth doing.

EdmondD

I'm already not sure if you're fooling us or honestly feel bad.

Lesson Nr1: never feel bad.
Lesson Nr2: if you feel bad, see Lesson nr1

We're mostly not serious, unless it's about Tabris or FortunateSon.

I don't feel bad I just don't want to shit up the thread with stupid posts. I don't want to be one of those juniors where everyone is like, "fuck this stupid clown." Anyways, you guys are alright and I got thick skin so it's cool.

Marvie_3

Banned
I don't feel bad I just don't want to shit up the thread with stupid posts. I don't want to be one of those juniors where everyone is like, "fuck this stupid clown." Anyways, you guys are alright and I got thick skin so it's cool.
Just don't be like Tabris and I don't think anyone will really have a problem with you.

I'm not going to argue here, this is one thing that I live by, especially when it comes to this kind of stuff. I guess what I'm saying is, if we're doing it this way, then I am gonna take my name off the list for people to put it all together in post. I'm out the ass with work and school right now anywho. It's the reason I'm barely in this thread to begin with

A combination of setting everyone's levels correctly in the beginning and using some compression should be more than enough to solve any issues of fucked up volume levels... there shouldn't be a need to do that in post.

I've recorded a few podcasts like this online and I never once had a problem where I wish I had more flexibility in the post end. It's not a matter of being lazy, I just feel like for what we would be trying achieve, it would be overkill.

But like Marvie said, we should just record it a couple of ways and see what people want the most.

Dump some down your throat and choke on it fucker.

If we're not allowed to halfass it then it's not worth doing.

That is halfassing. Doing it right would mean everybody goes out and buys a real mic, or worse, gets in the same room.

Think of it as halfassing to it's full potential.

I'm not going to argue here, this is one thing that I live by, especially when it comes to this kind of stuff. I guess what I'm saying is, if we're doing it this way, then I am gonna take my name off the list for people to put it all together in post. I'm out the ass with work and school right now anywho. It's the reason I'm barely in this thread to begin with

A combination of setting everyone's levels correctly in the beginning and using some compression should be more than enough to solve any issues of fucked up volume levels... there shouldn't be a need to do that in post.

I've recorded a few podcasts like this online and I never once had a problem where I wish I had more flexibility in the post end. It's not a matter of being lazy, I just feel like for what we would be trying achieve, it would be overkill.

But like Marvie said, we should just record it a couple of ways and see what people want the most.

I'm not above the possibility that I'm over thinking this.

Marvie_3

Banned
That is halfassing. Doing it right would mean everybody goes out and buys a real mic, or worse, gets in the same room.

That's still too much work to truly be called halfassing. Trust me. I'm an expert on halfassing things.

Revenant

what is all this teamwork and cooperation going on in here...this isn't how this place was when i left it mere hours ago.

I'm not above the possibility that I'm over thinking this.

Dude... again. Considering the audience and the purpose of the podcast is the absolute first step in deciding on how you should approach the rest. From what I understand, the aim of the podcast isn't to spread around the internet hockey community for glory and fame, but to post here in NHL-gaf and everyone can have a listen. In that case, I personally would not consider everyone buying new mics that sound decent "doing it the right way". That would just be a waste of money. No one is going to give a shit if one person's voice doesn't sound as crisp as the next person's

That's still too much work to truly be called halfassing. Trust me. I'm an expert on halfassing thing.

Haha, the only way to win this argument is to not participate.

Dude... again. Considering the audience and the purpose of the podcast is the absolute first step in deciding on how you should approach the rest. From what I understand, the aim of the podcast isn't to spread around the internet hockey community for glory and fame, but to post here in NHL-gaf and everyone can have a listen. In that case, I personally would not consider everyone buying new mics that sound decent "doing it the right way". That would just be a waste of money. No one is going to give a shit if one person's voice doesn't sound as crisp as the next person's

If you read that as me advocating everybody going out and buying a mic, you read that wrong. The point I was (poorly) making was that the biggest determinant of how your voice is going to sound is the microphone you capture it on. Since getting decent mics is out of the question, we're already halfassing it.

Haha, the only way to win this argument is to not participate.

Nah, we should just do the podcast a couple of ways and see what everyone likes the best. I'm not saying you're wrong to want to go above and beyond on this, I'm just saying it's not necessary. I'm one voice out of the whole thread, so it's not up to me

If you read that as me advocating everybody going out and buying a mic, you read that wrong. The point I was (poorly) making was that the biggest determinant of how your voice is going to sound is the microphone you capture it on. Since getting decent mics is out of the question, we're already halfassing it.

That's crazy ass logic. My buddies and I have an audio interface to record our band, but we don't have top shelf microphones, etc. To say that we're half assing it because we're not going to go out and buy more gear is crazy. It's using what you have available to you.

And I know that you're not suggesting for everyone to buy new mics for this, but at the same time you're saying that the fact we're not getting new mics is half assing it.

Marvie_3

Banned
Nah, we should just do the podcast a couple of ways and see what everyone likes the best. I'm not saying you're wrong to want to go above and beyond on this, I'm just saying it's not necessary. I'm one voice out of the whole thread, so it's not up to me

But you're Bill Cosby and everyone else is the rest of the Huxtables.

Blackhawks suck.

*currently dumping salt on my meal*

Fuck you. Those jerseys are hideous too.

Anyways. I think the individual clip idea is, frankly, a terrible idea. I'd like an actual conversation. More fun to listen to and honestly, the idea of a "simulated" conversation sounds stupid. Not worth the time to me to talk into a mic so you can pretend to have a conversation. I'd rather not participate if that ends up being done, really.

Marvie_3

Banned
Fuck you.

Anyways. I think the individual clip idea is, frankly, a terrible idea. I'd like an actual conversation. More fun to listen to and honestly, the idea of a "simulated" conversation sounds stupid. Not worth the time to me to talk into a mic so you can pretend to have a conversation. I'd rather not participate if that ends up being done, really.
You sorta missed the point there. Everyone would be on a skype conference call but also recording their own track at the same time.

No worries, if anything actually happens it's more likely that the path of least resistance is going to be the right one. it's so easy on the internet for helpful intentions to come out...wrong.

You sorta missed the point there. Everyone would be on a skype conference call but also recording their own track at the same time.

The idea would be that in post, you would have complete control over each person's voice, allowing whoever is editing it to EQ each voice separately, compress, etc.

No worries, if anything actually happens it's more likely that the path of least resistance is going to be the right one. it's so easy on the internet for helpful intentions to come out...wrong.

Again, I totally appreciate that you want to go above and beyond on this and I'm not stopping you at all. I'm just saying that it's (in my opinion) too much work than anyone would really care for (I mean that in a nice way).

Marvie_3

Banned

Nah it was a good idea. It's just a matter of determining how feasible the idea is.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
No I like wsoxfan's idea. Everyone just record a conversation with yourself in your own home, then someone put them together. :p

That's crazy ass logic. My buddies and I have an audio interface to record our band, but we don't have top shelf microphones, etc. To say that we're half assing it because we're not going to go out and buy more gear is crazy. It's using what you have available to you.

And I know that you're not suggesting for everyone to buy new mics for this, but at the same time you're saying that the fact we're not getting new mics is half assing it.

I find myself in the position of defending an all-too subtle joke, but you can't argue with garbage-in, garbage-out. Especially when you're recording bands nicer mics make nicer recordings.

Which mics are you using by the way?

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
No I like wsoxfan's idea. Everyone just record a conversation with yourself in your own home, then someone put them together. :p

I don't like the idea of hearing Solo jerk off every time Galchenyuk touches the puck.

Socreges

Banned
Fuck you. Those jerseys are hideous too.

That's too bad because that's most certainly the idea. You will be missed.

Marvie_3

Banned
I find myself in the position of defending an all-too subtle joke, but you can't argue with garbage-in, garbage-out. Especially when you're recording bands nicer mics make nicer recordings.

I was going to use the one that came with Hey You Pikachu

We basically used 57's on everything other than whatever we were using for drum overheads and some Shure kick mic. School has some great mics so I'm excited to do vocals with something a little more nicer (using a condenser would be a nice start)

Thinking about further on how we recorded our podcasts back in the day, we also used Vent and used the Push-to-talk function which eliminated any extraneous coughs/people yelling at you/whatever in the background

We basically used 57's on everything other than whatever we were using for drum overheads and some Shure kick mic. School has some great mics so I'm excited to do vocals with something a little more nicer (using a condenser would be a nice start)

Thinking about further on how we recorded our podcasts back in the day, we also used Vent and used the Push-to-talk function which eliminated any extraneous coughs/people yelling at you/whatever in the background

57s and 58s are gonna be sitting there with cockroaches and twinkies after the bombs go off. They're just workhorses. I'd use them on anything but vocals in a studio. I rock an SM7 for vocals. If you're looking for a good, but reasonably priced vocal mic, I can't recommend that one enough. What style of music does your band play?

Top Bottom