• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL February 2015 |OT| The next Maple Leafs goal will be scored by Connor McDavid

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Gonchar won't play in Detroit, so we'll get a call up after 5. If it's not Tinordi, that's a pretty big red flag.

Winnik is good yo. Statistically he's a pretty legit second liner, and he's a great PKer. Hope the return is decent.
The last time he scored more than 6 goals was in 2011 and he's never had more than 30 points. I don't get the hype, and I'll laugh if a GM pays a 2nd for him, which seems likely at this point.

Terrible to learn that Montador has died. May he rest in peace. I remember him from Calgary's 2004 run.

----

I like the trade from the Leafs standpoint. Hopefully someone will take Jokinen for a 5th or 6th round pick.

Red_Man

PK throwing shade at the Toronto media:

B957kPwIIAAJQDO.png:large

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Gonchar won't play in Detroit, so we'll get a call up after 5. If it's not Tinordi, that's a pretty big red flag.

The last time he scored more than 6 goals was in 2011 and he's never had more than 30 points. I don't get the hype, and I'll laugh if a GM pays a 2nd for him, which seems likely at this point.
For a 2nd/3rd liner that is fantastic on the PK and can chip in 20-30 points on a terrible team? He's good value.

Red_Man

For a 2nd/3rd liner that is fantastic on the PK and can chip in 20-30 points on a terrible team? He's good value.
Serviceable 3rd liner? Sure, I don't see him as a 2nd liner on any contending team, or team hoping to make a run in the playoffs. We've made fun of Foligno all year for getting that massive contract while riding high shooting percentages and all that, and it's not any different with Winnik. 8 seasons in the NHL where he's never passed 30 points, I would pin this year as an outlier. That's how I see it anyways, I know there's some GM's out there that will probably see him as more than that.

zroid

Banned
Serviceable 3rd liner? Sure, I don't see him as a 2nd liner on any contending team, or team hoping to make a run in the playoffs. We've made fun of Foligno all year for getting that massive contract while riding high shooting percentages and all that, and it's not any different with Winnik. 8 seasons in the NHL where he's never passed 30 points, I would pin this year as an outlier. That's how I see it anyways, I know there's some GM's out there that will probably see him as more than that.

It would be stupid if a GM gives him any amount of term at a 2nd liner AAV, but if we're just talking about a rental, it might be worth doing. it's not like his P60 this year is a massive fluke. His on ice sh% has been 8.3% which is close to league average (and last season it was 8.2%). Dude's career hasn't been offensively oriented, and he's clearly not a goal scorer, but his great A60 definitely shows he can move up the lineup if needed and won't hinder the offence of his teammates.

bill0527

Nashville is a damn dangerous team, only major thing I can see knocking against them in a few months is that a decent chunk of their players don't have a lot of playoff experience and their core has never really had a deep run in the playoffs. Rinne is one of those goalies who can steal a series for you though.

A lot of us leaf fans are tired of seeing UFAs walking away for nothing over the last while, so you are not going to see many of us leafers unhappy with this trade.

I love the trade as a Preds fan. We're going all in to get that cup this year.

Razorskin

----- ------
Just went to my first NHL game. Preds vs. Devils. I live 2 1/2 hrs away from Nashville so they are the closest NHL a team.

What a fuck awesome experience.

I'm almost embarrassed to be a season ticket holder for my local ECHL AA minor league team after seeing this. Jesus there is a huge fucking gulf wide difference between the skill level of these NHL guys versus the bumbling stumbling, can't pass, can't shoot, can't score, minor league team in my city.

Glad you enjoyed it, Preds are on a tear.

Though the Devils are a pretty boring team to watch.

bill0527

Glad you enjoyed it, Preds are on a tear.

Though the Devils are a pretty boring team to watch.

The Devils were awful and made us play down to their level.

It was 1-1 going into the 3rd and the Preds had 29 SOG against 11 SOG for the Devils. The Devils goalie was in beast mode until he went to sleep with 4 minutes left in the game.

iLLmAtlc

Leafs fleeced smashville imo, getting 2 legit pieces fir 2 rental players, wtf

E: they made the right call. Exemplifies true great nhl reffing

Red_Man

Did Crosby just bitch his way out of a penalty? Unreal. Refs could at least try and make an effort to hide the lengths to pander to him.

Leafs fleeced smashville imo, getting 2 legit pieces fir 2 rental players, wtf
Preds are a top contending team and get a great top 4 guy who can play the PP and a depth winger that can provide good offence for his role and only gave up a very late 1st and a middle pack prospect. Seems about even all factors considered, and Preds did well going into the playoffs. Good chance that Franson signs there too.

Marvie_3

Banned
According to Jeremy Roenick the league has set a precedent for head shots. And that precedent is what exactly? Extremely light and inconsistent discipline?

zroid

Banned
supposedly the injured teammate whose absence Crouse apologists were citing as the reason he wasn't putting up many points is coming back (today? soon?)

so I'm looking forward to him continuing to not put up many points while his apologists continue to make excuses :p

gaming_noob

Hfboards says there's a random rumour of Bernier + Phaneuf + Leafs 2015 first for Oiler's 2015 first. I would do it for Eichel, assuming the best offer for Phaneuf is LA's Richards

Though with Bernier and Phaneuf the Oilers may actually finish ahead of the Leafs...

zroid

Banned
Hfboards says there's a random rumour of Bernier + Phaneuf + Leafs 2015 first for Oiler's 2015 first. I would do it for Eichel, assuming the best offer for Phaneuf is LA's Richards

Though with Bernier and Phaneuf the Oilers may actually finish ahead of the Leafs...

you know as well as I do that if they make this trade, the Leafs' traded pick will definitely win the lottery

Top Bottom