• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL February 2015 |OT| The next Maple Leafs goal will be scored by Connor McDavid

gaming_noob

Not much new but at least confirmation that Kessel is being shopped:

Chris Johnston ‏@reporterchris 1m1 minute ago
Dave Nonis tells Hockey Central at Noon that he's had "a number" of trade conversations with other teams on Kessel.

Dennis Bernstein ‏@DennisTFP 2m2 minutes ago
Leafs GM Nonis on @SNHockeyCentral on additional potential trades "Deals will likely come closer to deadline or on deadline day"

I don't think Kessel is being shopped. Nonis would listen to any teams that are interested, but I think it'll have to be an incredibly good offer before anything happens.

He's 27, has no injury history, and is a consistent 30 goal scorer. With a 1C and a better team he could hit 40. Maybe you don't build a contender around him, but he's still a very important piece and a very good player.

If Buffalo trades a roster player, two prospects, and a 1st for Kane, any trade involving Kessel would have to top that.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
I don't think Kessel is being shopped. Nonis would listen to any teams that are interested, but I think it'll have to be an incredibly good offer before anything happens.

He's 27, has no injury history, and is a consistent 30 goal scorer. With a 1C and a better team he could hit 40. Maybe you don't build a contender around him, but he's still a very important piece and a very good player.

If Buffalo trades a roster player, two prospects, and a 1st for Kane, any trade involving Kessel would have to top that.

Look at this smart, handsome motherfucker right here!

Cake Boss

Banned
Look at this smart, handsome motherfucker right here!

Yes but this motherfucker needs to look at the leafs plans. Do they want to tank? And doesn't keeping Kessel keep you from tanking properly? Plus when the tank projection of being a decent club 3-5 years from now, Kessel will be 32-33 years old and regressing at a 8M cap hit. For a guy that doesn't seem like he takes care of his body, he could decline like a mother fucker in the same mold as Heatley, who's only 34 and already out of the league.

Also at $8M cap hit at 7 years left compared to $5M something at 4 years left for a 23 year old Kane compared to a 27 year old Keseel. Kessels contract is somewhat a negative.

That Fialkov tweet seems like its tainted with a bit of homerism (the kind where a guy close to a club overvalues his own team's assets while undervaluing another team's), but then he might just be saying that Florida isn't looking at making that kind of deal right now.

I think he's moved out to the Western conference, if he's moved at all.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Yes but this motherfucker needs to look at the leafs plans. Do they want to tank? And doesn't keeping Kessel keep you from tanking properly? Plus when the tank projection of being a decent club 3-5 years from now, Kessel will be 32-33 years old and regressing at a 8M cap hit. For a guy that doesn't seem like he takes care of his body, he could decline like a mother fucker in the same mold as Heatley, who's only 34 and already out of the league.

Also at $8M cap hit at 7 years left compared to $5M something at 4 years left for a 23 year old Kane compared to a 27 year old Keseel. Kessels contract is somewhat a negative.

Look at this slut.

gaming_noob

Kessel flourishes IN the limelight

he doesn't give a crap about the media, just does his thang

Dytl5Tl.jpg

"Mmmmmmm limelight...."

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Oh yay, we lose to Montreal today because we can't beat top Eastern teams... :/
Habs have won the first 2 games, and Malholtra is still in the lineup along with Gilbert and no Gonchar. Wings got this, don't try and out reverse jinx me.

‏@renlavoietva
#canadiens Jiri Sekac healthy scratch for a 2nd game in a row.

Hm..
Also.
http://www.gohabsgo.com/en/2015/02/15/bergevin-interested-in-star-blackhawks-forward/

Maybe.. just maybe. C'mon MB

Lines Tonight:

Pacioretty-Desharnais-Weise (Still :lol)

Galchenyuk-Plekanec-Gallagher

Eller-de la Rose-Thomas

Prust-Malhotra-Bournival

Out: Sekac

Markov-Subban

Beaulieu-Weaver

Emelin-Gilbert

Out: Pateryn

I'll say this DLR is a nice addition to the team. I hope he gets a Permanent spot

Kessel hasn't missed a game in 5 years and has averaged 19:48 a game since joining the Leafs 6 years ago. I'm sure he's doing something right. Heatley has been injured a lot, and probably benefited from playing with Spezza and Alfredsson during his heyday in Ottawa.

In 3 to 5 years the cap could be $90M, which makes $8M more manageable. Barring injury, Kessel could still be a 30-goal scorer in his 30's. Kane has also been injured a lot and while he's still young who knows if he can match his one 30-goal season.

Personally I feel a tank does not involve cleaning house entirely. You still need talented NHL players to hold the line until the young players hit their stride. Otherwise you end up like Edmonton, bereft of veteran talent and full of young players rushed into pressure-packed starting roles.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member

Undoubtedly, conflicted Maple Leaf supporters would howl that a first–round pick and an ageing veteran is insufficient return for one of the most gifted scorers in the NHL. Which may hold water if a) Kessel was scoring for Toronto — he has all of four tallies during the Leafs 4–20–2 comedy act since Dec. 18 — and b) the Leafs, in the next two or three seasons, would benefit from a 50–goal eruption by their most talented player. With neither of particular value to a club in full re–design mode (yet again), the acquisition of another first–round pick is perhaps more than the Maple Leafs might otherwise anticipate.
If I’m Nonis and Shanahan, I make the offer now.

lol is this guy fucking retarded? I'm sure he was one of the ones who was shitting on the Leafs for now maximising their assets, and now we're going to give up a perennial 30 goal All-Star for Brad fucking Boyes, who is older, and a 1st round pick that is right now at 12th overall.

Kessel for a 32 year old Brad Boyes and a 12th overall pick (that could be higher if Kessel plays better for them)

It would take one of their young good players AND their first.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
lol is this guy fucking retarded? I'm sure he was one of the ones who was shitting on the Leafs for now maximising their assets, and now we're going to give up a perennial 30 goal All-Star for Brad fucking Boyes, who is older, and a 1st round pick that is right now at 12th overall.

Kessel for a 32 year old Brad Boyes and a 12th overall pick (that could be higher if Kessel plays better for them)

It would take one of their young good players AND their first.

Howard Berger still lives in a trash can doesn't he?

edit: He's a perfect example of what can happen when a media type thinks their bigger than the team they cover.

Cactus

Banned
Kessel + Bozak + cheap/useless AHL player (to shed a contract)

For

Barkov + 1st + 2nd + 2 salary dumps (Bergenheim + Boyes?)

Is this somewhat realistic or pure HFboards?

zroid

Banned
it is hilarious that I could watch the Marlies vs bSens game @ Canadian Tire Centre on TV yesterday but can't see the ACC game on TV today. MLSE needs to get its shit together.

zroid

Banned
well I'm seeing future Leaf Connor McDavid Dylan Strome play the Mississauga Steelheads which is better than a stupid Marlies game anyway :mad:

Marvie_3

Banned
Kessel hasn't missed a game in 5 years and has averaged 19:48 a game since joining the Leafs 6 years ago. I'm sure he's doing something right. Heatley has been injured a lot, and probably benefited from playing with Spezza and Alfredsson during his heyday in Ottawa.

In 3 to 5 years the cap could be $90M, which makes $8M more manageable. Barring injury, Kessel could still be a 30-goal scorer in his 30's. Kane has also been injured a lot and while he's still young who knows if he can match his one 30-goal season.

Personally I feel a tank does not involve cleaning house entirely. You still need talented NHL players to hold the line until the young players hit their stride. Otherwise you end up like Edmonton, bereft of veteran talent and full of young players rushed into pressure-packed starting roles.
Theres no way the cap is going up that high that soon.

Top Bottom