• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL February 2015 |OT| The next Maple Leafs goal will be scored by Connor McDavid

image.php
I'll eat Kessel's jock if Tabris is black.

Welp, I've come to the superstitious conclusion that every Wings game now I actually am able to watch, they lose and the ones I miss they win. Thankfully this western trip means I won't really be able to see any games so they'll actually win games!

We are still going to lose and fall into 8th place.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Welp, I've come to the superstitious conclusion that every Wings game now I actually am able to watch, they lose and the ones I miss they win. Thankfully this western trip means I won't really be able to see any games so they'll actually win games!

Phaneuf for Mantha? :D

keezy

Regardless of how the Wings are seeded in the post season they're still going to have a first round exit.

Kave learns to play hockey update!!!

After 10 weeks of hockey school tonight it finally began. Tonight we played our first game of the season.

Although I didn't think I was nervous, looking back I totally was. I took a bit longer to get all my equipment on, I was tightening my skates a bit more then I usually did and was fumbling putting on all my equipment. But by the time the game started all of that anxiety and nervousness was gone.

My team was fairly organized before the game in the locker room we decided who would be playing what position for the most part. We only had 9 skaters so it was easy to know when to jump on or not. For the night I played predominantly left wing.

I didn't start the game and we started off looking a bit nervous all around. We've practiced and scrimmaged with the opposing team for the last 10 weeks we knew who they were and they knew who we were. We are a better team then them but with the game being real we looked a bit stiff...that is until I came in!

I hopped onto the ice and moved up into the offensive zone, we had a decent cycle game going but we couldn't get a shot to the net, the opposing team was eventually able to retrieve the puck behind their net as we backed off a bit. It then happened...I suddenly went in for the forecheck, the player behind the net instead of trying to just dump the puck out thought he could skate through me; big mistake. I stole the puck off of him and from behind the net threaded a perfect backhand pass through two defenders right into the slot for my teammate to score the first goal of the game!

...no wait that's wrong. That's what I thought happened. So I didn't see it so I got a recap of it from my teammates. So what actually happened is everything up there until the pass was exactly the same from there I was told my pass hit off one defender, then off of the goalie and very slowly trickled past the line!!! The reason I didn't see any of this is because I made the pass on my backhand and being terrible at skating I couldn't turn around to see what was happening in the play.

So congrats to me, I scored the first goal of our season and didn't even know it until I got back to the bench. The whole time I was complimenting my teammate who I thought scored the goal until 3 of the guys on the ice told me it was my goal and made sure to note it was my goal.

From there we dominated, we won 7-1, I played a good forechecking game I felt.

So I can now say I did something very few people have ever done! Scored on their first shift, first "shot" on goal.

Me, Mario Lemieux and Luca Caputi hold that distinction together. :D

Based Kave

calder

Armia not on the ice for the morning skate with the Ice Caps. Wonder if he's getting called up? If so, that doesn't sound good for the injuries to Perreault and/or Stafford. :|

fallout

Armia not on the ice for the morning skate with the Ice Caps. Wonder if he's getting called up? If so, that doesn't sound good for the injuries to Perreault and/or Stafford. :|
Given how long the dog sled trek to get from St. John's to Winnipeg is, maybe it's just precautionary?

calder

Given how long the dog sled trek to get from St. John's to Winnipeg is, maybe it's just precautionary?

Yeah. Really disappointed they didn't move the team to Thunder Bay already. Although I guess they may make the move next year, perhaps the new rink in TB wasn't going to be done in time?

Oh hey, you mentioned you got a job offer a few days ago. You take it?

Socreges

Banned
ClassicMatureKob.gif

He's a changed man since Sochi, his stats since he's returned are ridiculous.
It's true. Never felt that he deserved all the praise before (agreed he COULD become elite), but this season he's actually justifying it. Easily. I think he'll actually be good in the playoffs, too, where he's often been average.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
I posted a couple of these before, but it looks like it's a clean sweep today.

Extremely rare for hockey to sweep the back pages during the regular season, especially on a day where the Yankees retired a crap load of numbers and the Knicks ditched Amar'e Stoudemire.

The Rangers are taking a much needed day off. 3 games in 4 nights coming up, starting Thursday. Maybe we'll see Skapski in Buffalo on Friday?

zroid

Banned
I posted a couple of these before, but it looks like it's a clean sweep today.

Extremely rare for hockey to sweep the back pages during the regular season, especially on a day where the Yankees retired a crap load of numbers and the Knicks ditched Amar'e Stoudemire.

I want a second Toronto team so much :(

damn you, Bettman

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
...the same Rangers that were in the Conference Finals are dropping confetti over beating the fucking Islanders?

Christ, the Knicks suck.

It's going to be impossible for us to even get to the Conference Finals this year without the ability to beat the Islanders, so yeah, it's a decently big deal as far as mid-February regular season hockey goes.

Sanjuro

It's going to be impossible for us to even get to the Conference Finals this year without the ability to beat the Islanders, so yeah, it's a decently big deal as far as mid-February regular season hockey goes.

I know. I just find it funny the papers even are saying "Fuck the Knicks".

Also, I still feel for the Islanders. When I was out that way nobody gave a flying fuck about them.

zroid

Banned
oqY8Cj3.png

poor guy :lol

Uncle Leo hasn't really looked himself since returning from the concussion and shoulder injury either

Acid08

Banned
So I guss there's a rumor that Niemi is being shopped around? That would be weird, I'm not sure a Stalock/Groesnick tandem would be very successful.

Kave learns to play hockey update!!!

After 10 weeks of hockey school tonight it finally began. Tonight we played our first game of the season.

Although I didn't think I was nervous, looking back I totally was. I took a bit longer to get all my equipment on, I was tightening my skates a bit more then I usually did and was fumbling putting on all my equipment. But by the time the game started all of that anxiety and nervousness was gone.

My team was fairly organized before the game in the locker room we decided who would be playing what position for the most part. We only had 9 skaters so it was easy to know when to jump on or not. For the night I played predominantly left wing.

I didn't start the game and we started off looking a bit nervous all around. We've practiced and scrimmaged with the opposing team for the last 10 weeks we knew who they were and they knew who we were. We are a better team then them but with the game being real we looked a bit stiff...that is until I came in!

I hopped onto the ice and moved up into the offensive zone, we had a decent cycle game going but we couldn't get a shot to the net, the opposing team was eventually able to retrieve the puck behind their net as we backed off a bit. It then happened...I suddenly went in for the forecheck, the player behind the net instead of trying to just dump the puck out thought he could skate through me; big mistake. I stole the puck off of him and from behind the net threaded a perfect backhand pass through two defenders right into the slot for my teammate to score the first goal of the game!

...no wait that's wrong. That's what I thought happened. So I didn't see it so I got a recap of it from my teammates. So what actually happened is everything up there until the pass was exactly the same from there I was told my pass hit off one defender, then off of the goalie and very slowly trickled past the line!!! The reason I didn't see any of this is because I made the pass on my backhand and being terrible at skating I couldn't turn around to see what was happening in the play.

So congrats to me, I scored the first goal of our season and didn't even know it until I got back to the bench. The whole time I was complimenting my teammate who I thought scored the goal until 3 of the guys on the ice told me it was my goal and made sure to note it was my goal.

From there we dominated, we won 7-1, I played a good forechecking game I felt.

So I can now say I did something very few people have ever done! Scored on their first shift, first "shot" on goal.

Me, Mario Lemieux and Luca Caputi hold that distinction together. :D

Congrats Kave!

also poor Jokinen

and god damn at Price

Merguson

Banned
The "drive for 9th" tradition died at the conclusion of the 2007-2008 season.

You geezers reminiscing on days gone past.

Epic end-season collapses are tradition now.

yyzjohn

Banned
The "drive for 9th" tradition died at the conclusion of the 2007-2008 season.

You geezers reminiscing on days gone past.

Epic end-season collapses are tradition now.

I think the salient point here is that regardless of where the Leafs draft, they'd manage to fuck it up. Leafs could take McDavid and he'd turn into shit. It's our lot in life.

zroid

Banned
the Leafs defence right now is Rielly, Gardiner, Polak, Robidas, Holzer, and Granberg

a drive for 9th may not be physically possible

Merguson

Banned
I wonder if the Leafs are offering to retain salary for any of their players. Maybe Lupul and Bozak?

They can retain up to 50%, but can only do three contracts at any given time. Right now, they have two contracts available.

Lupul at $2.625 million @ 3 years, Bozak at $2.1 million @ 3 years would be a lot more appealing if you ask me. Assuming the Leafs retain up to 50% (which would be unlikely), but not too bad if you take into consideration that the Leafs would be bad for at least three years.

/armchairgm

Top Bottom