• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL February 2015 |OT| The next Maple Leafs goal will be scored by Connor McDavid

c3Q5jKh.jpg

Jets pls

ShaneB

It would have been a valid strategy with Hutch in net!

But seriously, the Jets PK has been absolutely abysmal. I'm tempted to blame it on the lack of Kane, but even when he was hurt and not playing, they were never this bad.

That sequence was a comedy of errors. Too many men on the ice, leading to a bad line change and mass confusion not wanting another penalty, and it's suddenly a 4 on 1.

Cake Boss

Banned
@SunDoniB: Not uncommonly, Bobby Ryan is the first player on the ice for practice #sens #leadership"

This is our beat reporter, has a thinking that who ever is on the ice first and last to leave is a good leader.

This is what we have to live with.

zroid

Banned
SHOT ATTEMPTS FOR
(SAT FOR)
Calculation = (5 on 5): Team shots on goal + team missed shots + opponent blocked shots (excluding empty net). Also called Corsi for

CORSI LIVES!

I'm a little disappointed they went with score close metrics instead of score adjusted. A bit outdated.

Curufinwe

No... :(

Can NHL.com do that as well? that would be so helpful.

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2015/01/31/bettman-willing-to-consider-making-cap-data-public/

Until recently, Capgeek.com was one of the greatest hockey resources out there, providing the fans and media with accurate contract information to lean on so that they knew how much flexibility each team had. It unfortunately closed earlier this month due to its founder’s health issues, which has led to people wondering if another site would fill that void.

Meanwhile, NHL.com is expanding its offering to the fans by making fancy statistics available. So could it be that the league itself would actually step forward to create its own capgeek?

“Well, we have our own site, it’s just that it’s internal,” NHL commissioner Gary Bettman said with a brief chuckle when the question was asked, per Canucks TV’s feed of his recent press conference. “You know what, I’ve been asked that now a couple times since I’ve been on the road this week. I don’t know, it’s something we’ll have to focus on.

“My own view is, I think entirely too much attention is paid to the cap and the economics and how much players make and so maybe we don’t want to do anything that buys into that approach. I’d rather see all the attention paid to the players performances on the ice and what’s happening in the game. I’m not sure that I think it’s a good idea, but now that I’ve been asked it a number of times in the last few days, I’ll go back and at least think about it.”

Socreges

Banned
But we live in a capped league now. If anything the cap in general is more important than the fancy stats.
You need to understand Bettman. He knows how important the cap is, and why many fans follow cap space and contracts so closely, but he's always going to represent the teams that struggle to hit the floor and take attention away from that. He doesn't want people to look at the disparity because he believes/hopes it's temporal. He probably also doesn't want fans to think of players as dollar signs, as millionaires.

What gets me more than that, though, are the people who see Bettman's aversion to more teams in Canada as mystifying, as if he has some personal vendetta. How do you not get it by now?

ZeroGravity

Tampa send him our way. You owe us for Bishop.
The sad thing is we'll probably acquire a forward before the deadline and he'll be stuck as a healthy scratch the rest of the year. I'll be shocked if he plays much at all in the playoffs.

That said he'll be a beast next year. Same thing happened to Kucherov last year.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
steve conroy ‏@conroyherald 10m 10 minutes ago

After long chat with Julien, Subban is the first goalie off
Could we be seeing Skapski and Subban both making their NHL debuts tonight? Happening bunker time?

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Julien confirmed it; it's happening.

Godspeed, Malcolm.

Stasis

Could we be seeing Skapski and Subban both making their NHL debuts tonight? Happening bunker time?

I dont know if I'm ready!

The way Cam stormed off last night, you know he's itching to go back in. Not saying Buffalo is a sure win, as they've been proving otherwise, but maybe it makes sense to let Cam have a bounce back against an, arguably, much easier opponent? I dunno. We need him for a while yet so it could be a booster. On the flip side, if Cam were to go down before Hank was back... Oy, I dont even wanna imagine that lol.

I think were gonna see Cam again.

I hope the backlash is swift, heavy, and brutal. Because that is truly the proper way to educate someone on what's socially acceptable to say in 2015.

Silexx

It's a dumb thing to say but COME ON

Pretty much all the Leafs-dudes in my timeline are pontificating on this right now. Do we need to crucify people for every single public misstep?

As innocuous a comment as it may seem, it must be viewed in the larger context of the sport (or sports, in general) being often an openly hostile place for women to participate. (and I'm not talking simply about women playing sports, but rather even just being fans.)

Top Bottom