• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL February 2015 |OT| The next Maple Leafs goal will be scored by Connor McDavid

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
I'm legit shook! LEGIT SHOOK I TELLS YA! I'm going to go watch the tank at a bar and get wasted. Fuck. Yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So we took CBJ's player and paid him money that we can put on LTIR and NOT have it against our cap and just pay him to sit in the fucking stands. AND we get rid of Clarktard??? I would love to be in that room right now when it's about 1 hour to puck drop.

CBJ are now my second favourite team after helping us out here.

Legit. SHOOK!

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Bob McKenzie @TSNBobMcKenzie
Here's bottom line on Clarkson-Horton trade: Horton's contract wasn't insured. CBJ paying him to sit in stands and he's longshot to play.

CBJ would rather pay Clarkson and have the player in the lineup. TOR must pay Horton's salary so there's no actual $ saving, BUT...

...TOR gets to put Horton on LTIR and use his cap hit $ elsewhere. so the net result is TOR loses David Clarkson's cap hit for the duration.

Huge cap maneuver for TOR. They lose Clarkson's contract entirely, must pay Horton to not play but get to use Horton's cap dollars elsewhere

Curufinwe

wtf if the NHL had any integrity they'd be vetoing this shit

Pronger's gonna get traded to a cap floor team in the summer.

Toronto made a good move but having a guy with a $5m cap hit on LTIR for 5 years can be a pain to work around. Which is why Hextall is determined to move him.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened

Because CBJ is paying for hornton to be in the stands instead of an insurance premium. So in order to fill the hole they'd pay someone else on top of his contract. Leafs can pay that and not even think about it. Jackets would rather have a player.

It's a big team / small team advantage trade.

iLLmAtlc

wshjUY6.png

imagine what it's like to actually believe this

Does Columbus have the cap room for Clarkson? Maybe that's why they were trying to move Wiz.

Leafs fans must be stoked. Their unwavering support of the team helped make this trade happen.

Samyy

Does Columbus have the cap room for Clarkson? Maybe that's why they were trying to move Wiz.

Leafs fans must be stoked. Their unwavering support of the team helped make this trade happen.

Just imagine, a competent front office with all this financial strength.

:)

I don't want Horton's career to be over, but I don't want to see him suit up as a Leaf. He may be an upgrade, but he's making way too much money.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
I never thought Clarkson would ever get traded. Worse yet, I never thought there was someone out there stupid enough to trade for him. Nonis should win GM of the year for pulling this off.

Overall, it was a loss for the Leafs though, they no longer have anyone to protect the water bottles ;)

We could get something good for Gardiner, and he's been on the ice for a ton of goals this year. He's not great at defence.

Also, educate me please: If Horton's contract isn't insured, does that means it can be terminated after this year?

Samyy

We could get something good for Gardiner, and he's been on the ice for a ton of goals this year. He's not great at defence.

Also, educate me please: If Horton's contract isn't insured, does that means it can be terminated after this year?

No I think it means there's no insurance as in an insurance company is not compensating Columbus due to the fact that Horton isnot playing?

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
No I think it means there's no insurance as in an insurance company is not compensating Columbus due to the fact that Horton isnot playing?

Basically... Columbus thought it was a great idea to not insure that huge contract

we just traded incompetent GM mistakes basically

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
I'm guessing Columbus approached the Leafs about the trade.
Sounds about right. This was very out of left field.

CBJ - instead of spending valuable money on a player that can't play, will trade him and pay roughly the same for a player that will play. So the only thing they lose is cap space, which they had room to use.

TML - instead of spending valuable money a player that can't play, will trade him and pay roughy the same for a player that also can't play BUT they gain valuable cap space and flexibility.

This is an absolute win for the Leafs and while the BJs aren't any better, At least they're getting someone on the ice for this.

I love it!

Horton's jersey is already hanging in the rafters at the ACC!

And how did CBJ not insure that contractt?!? I thought all contracts were insured

Top Bottom