• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL February 2015 |OT| The next Maple Leafs goal will be scored by Connor McDavid

Samyy

Sir.
I get upset immediately whenever I hear Stock even open his mouth.

Well thats exactly how I feel about O'Neil, Stock doesn't go on radio every day and indirectly bash Kessel every single chance he gets though.

Like they'll be talking about something completely unrelated to hockey but O'Neil will find a way to Bash Kessel.

I guess people still think he is the prodigal son Wendel Clarkson ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

tbh I don't really follow the specific sport media guys outside of Steve Dangle. It sounds like I'm better for it.

Parch

I haven't seen any comments from Clarkson yet, but he must be doing backflips of joy for getting the hell out of that Toronto mess.

The probably think it's a direct link to the Leafs getting Babcock. When something happens with the Leafs on HFB, I just stay away from the main boards. Even worse when they crash the site.

Sadly this is correct (random HFboard post):

To me, this is more about Toronto's (apparent) desire to bring in Mike Babcock, and maybe getting a couple of roster pieces that have had success under him.

Maybe the Leafs are looking at guys like Helm, Abdelkader, Sheahan, Jurco, Tatar, Andersson, Kindl, Dekeyser and Smith; and saying, with the team we want to be next year, we want some of those players.

Quick

Banned
I haven't seen any comments from Clarkson yet, but he must be doing backflips of joy for getting the hell out of that Toronto mess.

On Sportscentre, they had an audio clip of him talking about the trade. Probably on TSN's website now.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member

screenshot2015-02-27aa4uga.png

I had hockeystreams in 2013/14 - I'm going to need it again starting tomorrow when I'm cable-less. Now that a lot of you guys have had it for a couple of years, how does it perform? I remember it not being perfect when I had it, but pretty good. Are there streaming issues? I'm trying to decide if I should get a 6 month sub and freeze it once the playoffs are over, or a full year. The six months will let me ditch it a couple months into next season if I don't like it this time around.

I'm going to primarily be streaming it to my TV, so not watching it off a laptop/tablet/phone. Is this easy to do? Does anyone do this with Hockeystreams, and does it work well? I'm going to be looking into the how-to (I think Plex is an option, I hope Chromcast is one), but would appreciate anyone that has first hand experience with how well it actually works. Despite the blackouts (which was easy to circumvent), I had really little issue with Gamecenter.

Cake Boss

Banned
Jack Edwards is throwing out some next level salt right now

z1Xf3nR.png

How is it called manipulation when its within the rules?

Plus no one is stopping putting the Brooms on putting Kreji on IR and picking up another player before the deadline, just like the Hawks.

Cactus

Banned

z1Xf3nR.png

That Krejci stuff he mentions is pretty interesting. Conceivably, the team could put him on LTIR, replace his cap hit with other players, and then bring him back during the playoffs--putting the Bruins well over the cap--when the cap doesn't technically apply.

Not exactly sure how it's comparable to what the Leafs are doing with Horton, though.

Plus, it's pretty disingenuous (and laughable) for him to suggest that some sort of ingrained respect for the rules is what's preventing Chiarelli from doing it.

Its perfectly fine within the current system, but it may not be behavior that the NHL wants to see moving forward.

I'd be (slightly) surprised if they see this as a bad thing. The cap rules exist to ensure that small market teams remain financially stable. This isn't anything like the 'back-diving' contracts of yesteryear.

What is this Edwards guy talking about? Didn't the Bruins put Krejci on the LTIR?

Joe McDonald @ESPNJoeyMac · 20h 20 hours ago
Despite Krejci and Miller now on LTIR, there's no imminent trade for the Bruins, according to league source.

Some of this stuff makes me think that these guys are just upset they won't be able to indulge themselves in a particularly rich vein of schadenfreude anymore.

Stet

Banned
I'd be (slightly) surprised if they see this as a bad thing. The cap rules exist to ensure that small market teams remain financially stable. This isn't anything like the 'back-diving' contracts of yesteryear.

What is this Edwards guy talking about? Didn't the Bruins put Krejci on the LTIR?

Some of this stuff makes me think that these guys are just upset they won't be able to indulge themselves in a particularly rich vein of schadenfreude anymore.

your username is triggering me hardcore right now

I had hockeystreams in 2013/14 - I'm going to need it again starting tomorrow when I'm cable-less. Now that a lot of you guys have had it for a couple of years, how does it perform? I remember it not being perfect when I had it, but pretty good. Are there streaming issues? I'm trying to decide if I should get a 6 month sub and freeze it once the playoffs are over, or a full year. The six months will let me ditch it a couple months into next season if I don't like it this time around.

I'm going to primarily be streaming it to my TV, so not watching it off a laptop/tablet/phone. Is this easy to do? Does anyone do this with Hockeystreams, and does it work well? I'm going to be looking into the how-to (I think Plex is an option, I hope Chromcast is one), but would appreciate anyone that has first hand experience with how well it actually works. Despite the blackouts (which was easy to circumvent), I had really little issue with Gamecenter.

I've had it for a month or so now and the only issue I have is the stream stopping on Chrome every once in a while.

As a result, FireFox is my hockeystreams browser. I don't use it for anything else and it works every time. I use it only on my laptop though so I can't help you with the other devices stuff.

imBask

Banned
I've had it for a month or so now and the only issue I have is the stream stopping on Chrome every once in a while.

As a result, FireFox is my hockeystreams browser. I don't use it for anything else and it works every time. I use it only on my laptop though so I can't help you with the other devices stuff.

yep I do the exact same thing, HS is buggy on Chrome for some reason but FF seems to handle it well

the Android application and the player on consoles web browser works really well

calder

It's amazing how much I hate Jack Edwards, considering I have almost no exposure to him. It's just every time he comes up it's in the worst light.

And, as always, here he's being both a fucking moron and duplicitous. If only the Bruins didn't have so much class, alas!

I expected nothing less from the Sun.

Good thing the CBA is good till 2022 so the Leafs can trade more duds rebuild!

I'm not super familiar with this stuff, but I think it would be a hard position to argue. The players are getting paid, so the issue is on the side of the owners. It would be the owners of the richer teams having to relinquish this loophole to the poorer teams. So what would the bigger teams get?

zroid

Banned
This is a legit quote from Clarkson's agent

RJbsoOk.png

Translation: Leafs are smart now so I won't be able to make bank off them anymore :^(

Cactus

Banned
It's amazing how much I hate Jack Edwards, considering I have almost no exposure to him. It's just every time he comes up it's in the worst light.

And, as always, here he's being both a fucking moron and duplicitous. If only the Bruins didn't have so much class, alas!

It's just so hilarious how he casually suggests that keeping a presumably healthy Krejci away from a team that's fighting to make the playoffs for the last few weeks of the season would be beneficial.

Samyy

Unless you ban trading injured players, I don't see how.

Thinking about that right now and you're right. Initially I thought you could just ban trading players on LTIR but everyone would be able to then simply trade these guys in the offseason when they get the 10% cushion + all the teams operating with enough cap room wouldn't be impacted.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
I expected nothing less from the Sun.

Good thing the CBA is good till 2022 so the Leafs can trade more duds rebuild!

I'm not super familiar with this stuff, but I think it would be a hard position to argue. The players are getting paid, so the issue is on the side of the owners. It would be the owners of the richer teams having to relinquish this loophole to the poorer teams. So what would the bigger teams get?
"Trade more duds". Man, nobody is willing to give this new team a chance without the baggage behind it. Besides the possible Bolland blunder, I have had only one tiny problem with the moves in the summer.

Santorelli? Good.
Winnik? Good.
Komarov? Good.
Trading Franson, Santorelli, and Winnik? Good.
Robidas? Well.....
Moving FML and Orr down to the AHL? Good.
Bringing in Pridham, Hunter, and Dubas? Great.
Firing Loiselle and that other guy whose name escapes me? Good.
Firing Carlyle? Good but would've been gear had it been done earlier.
Getting rid of Clarkson? Apparently, it was the CBJ assistant GM that had the idea, bless his heart, but we still had to get Clarkson to agree to leave and management got it done. Great.

People talk about Shanny preaching patience but this is with less than 1 year we've done all this.

Curufinwe

z1Xf3nR.png

Edwards is a scumbag and a moron. He should know that having a player on LTIR for years like Boston have had with Savard and Philly has had with Pronger is far from an ideal situation. Toronto and CBJ made the best of a bad situation and Edwards should shut his mouth.

Solo

TSN:

Oilers and Habs?

Jim Matheson of The Edmonton Journal wrote on Thursday that Canadiens goaltending prospect Zach Fucale could be available (this summer) in a trade because he would be no more than a backup to Carey Price in Montreal. Matheson notes that the Oilers would be interested as they wanted to take him with the 37th pick in the 2013 draft, but the Canadiens took him one spot earlier.

Matheson adds that the Habs really want blueliner Jeff Petry on their second pairing and wonders if the Canadiens include Jared Tinordi in a deal for him. He also asks if a deal for Petry could fetch Ryan Sproul from Detroit, Pittsburgh's Scott Harrington, Washington's Madison Bowey or Josh Manson from Anaheim or Chicago's Klas Dahlbeck or Stephen Jones.

Matheson also wrote earlier this week that the Canadiens reportedly offered their 2013 first-round pick Michael McCarron to the Coyotes for defenceman Zbynek Michalek.

Stasis

Works flawlessly most nights. Occasionally there will be pausing/stuttering and some feeds are HD while others dont seem to be. Lucky for me MSG is great.

I've used it on a roku 3, android phone and tablet, iPad and various browsers on PC. I never tried it on my Chromecast or via the Plex app but I've heard both work fine as well. Most of the time I'm streaming to my upstairs TV via Roku without going through Plex since that's just a needless extra step. I have a Fire TV downstairs, but I dunno if there's an app for it. I'd get either a fire TV if it works there or a Roku 3 for best results. In that order.

Either way, its worth it.

zroid

Banned
I think my favourite defence of the Clarkson contract might be that there were other teams willing to give him the same contract.

Because that makes it okay.

I also love how the pundits use this to defend their own poor assessment of the deal when it happened. "I liked it, and I was right to, because a bunch of GMs did too."

Solo

Lmao Timmins what a bust when already trading him for a UFA rental dman.

Keep in mind its an Edmonton reporter, so his insider knowledge is dubious. I think Bergevin wanting Petry is a known thing though. Another reason why I think "advanced" stats are trash - we got Tom Gilbert for the same reason, and that hasn't exactly been an amazing acquisition.

zroid

Banned
I don't know how good Tinordi is but moving an NHL-ready or near-NHL-ready D prospect for a rental seems like a bad idea all around.

"Trade more duds". Man, nobody is willing to give this new team a chance without the baggage behind it. Besides the possible Bolland blunder, I have had only one tiny problem with the moves in the summer.

Santorelli? Good.
Winnik? Good.
Komarov? Good.
Trading Franson, Santorelli, and Winnik? Good.
Robidas? Well.....
Moving FML and Orr down to the AHL? Good.
Bringing in Pridham, Hunter, and Dubas? Great.
Firing Loiselle and that other guy whose name escapes me? Good.
Firing Carlyle? Good but would've been gear had it been done earlier.
Getting rid of Clarkson? Apparently, it was the CBJ assistant GM that had the idea, bless his heart, but we still had to get Clarkson to agree to leave and management got it done. Great.

People talk about Shanny preaching patience but this is with less than 1 year we've done all this.

kuro pls

Self-depreciation is one of my ways of coping!

I personally have no issue with keeping some components of this team. Results are results. But with the core we have, we aren't attaining them...

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
I don't know how good Tinordi is but moving an NHL-ready or near-NHL-ready D prospect for a rental seems like a bad idea all around.
lol at moving Tinordi for Petry. Bergevin wouldn't do that deal straight up, nevermind including Fucale and anyone else who thinks it could happen is stupid. There was another report about McCarron for Michalek which is just as dumb.

calder

Holy fuck I'm at work listening to today's Hockey Central at Noon and PJ Stock has never been stupider. It's astonishing, he somehow makes noted morons like MacLean and Kypreos seem like thoughtful wise men.

Colby Armstrong is there to say nothing as always. Sports broadcasting and media is broken, and still everyone just gets more and more recently retired players. THIS ISN'T HELPING. JUST BECAUSE THEY PLAYED THE GAME DOESN'T MEAN THEY KNOW *ANYTHING* OR CAN SPEAK INTELLIGENTLY. JUST STOP.

Curufinwe

Keep in mind its an Edmonton reporter, so his insider knowledge is dubious. I think Bergevin wanting Petry is a known thing though. Another reason why I think "advanced" stats are trash - we got Tom Gilbert for the same reason, and that hasn't exactly been an amazing acquisition.

I think Montreal (or Anaheim) would improve defensively by getting Coburn. Flyers could take back Allen (or Brewer).

Top Bottom