• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL February 2015 |OT| The next Maple Leafs goal will be scored by Connor McDavid

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
I know Kessel gets shit on a lot by Toronto media, but the amount of bitching that Toronto bloggers do about this is even more annoying. It's non stop. Stop giving these guys so much attention.

Best part of these trades is going back through and laughing at all the terrible HFBoards proposals involving the key players. Someone on the Pens board actually thought Kunitz for Kane was fair market value. Having the "Our GM is terrible because he didn't trade our washed-up trash for young, high-upside players" crowd shut up for even one day is a blessing.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
hot damn what a trade, I just saw it. That's some EA NHL style trading.

I hope Buffalo didn't have to give up their middle pick.

... I hope whatever pick they gave up won't win the lottery :lol

Buffalo is gonna be real scary real soon, and LOL OILERS. Just because.

Cleary for Green.

DdX1Yav.gif

Fei

Buffalo gave up their last 1st round pick. It could be either STL or the NYI.

I think the trade makes a lot of sense for both teams. Winnipeg gets a very nice package back and gets rid of their problem child. Buffalo gets a true top 6 player that fits nicely into their future. Buffalo had the prospect pool to spend that much and still not compromise their talent pipeline.

calder

I hope Buffalo didn't have to give up their middle pick.

It's the lowest of their three picks, so probably the St. Louis one? I guess the Islanders are close enough they could catch them in the overall standings. Either way, it'll be a bottom 10 pick in the first round for sure, maybe bottom 5.

EDIT: technically Buffalo decides which first rounder to give. So maybe Sabres management gets tipsy at the draft and decides to be generous and give us the second pick? ;)

CrankyJay

Banned
Buffalo gave up their last 1st round pick. It could be either STL or the NYI.

I think the trade makes a lot of sense for both teams. Winnipeg gets a very nice package back and gets rid of their problem child. Buffalo gets a true top 6 player that fits nicely into their future. Buffalo had the prospect pool to spend that much and still not compromise their talent pipeline.

Still mulling this all over...might be awesome.

WFH and listening to Hockey Central @ Noon, and I swear Doug MacLean said that he's never seen a team collapse like the Leafs have this season. The same Doug MacLean who has been covering, at least in part, the Leafs since 2010, and has thus been around for about 4 long losing streaks, including a 3-13-0 collapse last year!

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
I wonder who the Caps attention turns to now.

We really need a top 6 winger.

Fuck you McPhee.

Have fun giving up your second rounder for Vermette!

I like this trade for both teams, Buffalo has enough good, young talent coming up to trade some of their pieces, and Winnipeg gets some legit prospects in return.

Myers for Bogosian is a wash right now.

Cake Boss

Banned

Loser wants to stay with a losing club, instead of pursuing a cup like every other normal human being would have done. surprise surprise.

What leadership with a winning mentality, exactly the type of player you want to put in with your young players.

Great fucking franchise we got here. Instead of trading the loser, let's ask him nicely first then we will share a nice long ice tea after like the bunch of pansies we are.

I see no future with this shitty club.

/RANT

GO RAPS

BIG DICKROZAN!!!

zroid

Banned
Even more than most trades, this is totally impossible to judge for a while. At least a year or two, how do you compare a trade for a guy who's hurt for the rest of the season going to a team that looks to be on the upswing in two years?

Comparing Bogo to Myers might be possible, but I'm not sure how useful it would be when there are so many other moving parts. I actually consider Bogo and Myers to be very similar - high first round picks that are entering their primes who might not be quite as good as their skills set (or size) and draft position would indicate. Merely OK contracts for both based on current performance, Bogo has some injury concerns but Myers has some gets-knocked-the-fuck-down-like-a-shrimp concerns... I'd call it a pick 'em.

I agree, for me I just think it's a trade that makes sense for both teams. Who "wins" will be determined years from now. Maybe they both win.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
I know Kessel gets shit on a lot by Toronto media, but the amount of bitching that Toronto bloggers do about this is even more annoying. It's non stop. Stop giving these guys so much attention.

I don't really blame em.

It honestly feels like the media is trying to force him out of town while at the same time highfiving Clarkson and Bozak.

Well to me anyways they cancel each other out.

Silexx

Loser wants to stay with a losing club, instead of pursuing a cup like every other normal human being would have done. surprise surprise.

What leadership with a winning mentality, exactly the type of player you want to put in with your young players.

Great fucking franchise we got here. Instead of trading the loser, let's ask him nicely first then we will share a nice long ice tea after like the bunch of pansies we are.

I see no future with this shitty club.

/RANT

GO RAPS

BIG DICKROZAN!!!

I get the frustration towards Philips because we can't turn him into a tangible asset, but I think you're reaching here if you can't understand someone wanting to finish a career with one club where he has firmly planted his roots in the city.

I don't really blame em.

It honestly feels like the media is trying to force him out of town while at the same time highfiving Clarkson and Bozak.

Me neither.

I can't remember a time I heard much criticism of Franson, Clarkson, Lupul, JVR, Bozak, Robidas or Bernier.

But Kadri, Kessel and Reimer? They're always the problem. It gets exhausting.

zroid

Banned
Me neither.

I can't remember a time I heard much criticism of Franson, Clarkson, Lupul, JVR, Bozak, Robidas or Bernier.

But Kadri, Kessel and Reimer? They're always the problem. It gets exhausting.

JVR in particular gets off way too easy. It's odd. He is skilled as hell but his commitment to defence is non-existent.

fallout

Comparing Bogo to Myers might be possible, but I'm not sure how useful it would be when there are so many other moving parts. I actually consider Bogo and Myers to be very similar - high first round picks that are entering their primes who might not be quite as good as their skills set (or size) and draft position would indicate. Merely OK contracts for both based on current performance, Bogo has some injury concerns but Myers has some gets-knocked-the-fuck-down-like-a-shrimp concerns... I'd call it a pick 'em.
I'm hopeful that Myers might see an uptick with his new linemates. Will be interesting to see how it works out for him and if it affects his game.

EDIT: technically Buffalo decides which first rounder to give. So maybe Sabres management gets tipsy at the draft and decides to be generous and give us the second pick? ;)
A great hypothetical condition would be: "Tell you what ... if we get McDavid, you can have the second pick."

Socreges

Banned
Has Bogosian dropped off a bit in recent years? He's still just 24 so as a dman he arguably has his best years ahead of him.

Fei said it's a good deal if you don't believe in Myers. Do you believe in Bogosian, though?

Frankly Buffalo was/will be so loaded with elite prospects that giving up a couple great ones and a late 1st is easily worth it for them in exchange for two young roster players.

Cake Boss

Banned
I get the frustration towards Philips because we can't turn him into a tangible asset, but I think you're reaching here if you can't understand someone wanting to finish a career with one club where he has firmly planted his roots in the city.

Yeah only Chris Philips as a kid would dream of finishing his career with just 1 club then dreaming of winning a Stanley Cup.

I also blame the management for allowing it to happen, if Alfie couldn't finish his career here then its overrated as hell.

Red_Man

After much researched I've decided that I want Hall.
If Kane got what he just did, I don't want to even begin to imagine what it would take to get Hall out of Edmonton. Then again, Murray is a much better GM than MacTavish.

If Kane got what he just did, I don't want to even begin to imagine what it would take to get Hall out of Edmonton. Then again, Murray is a much better GM than MacTavish.

If you look at it as Bogo for Myers, Kane was traded for Armia+Lemieux+late 1st.

But Hall would definitely command way more.

I'd trade basically anybody not named Carlson/Backstrom/Ovechkin/Kuznetsov

Silexx

Yeah only Chris Philips as a kid would dream of finishing his career with just 1 club then dreaming of winning a Stanley Cup.

I also blame the management for allowing it to happen, if Alfie couldn't finish his career here then its overrated as hell.

Yeah and I wanted to be Batman as a kid, but my aspirations changed down the road when adjusted with reality. (e.g I could never convince my parents to walk down dark alleys with me.)

Red_Man

If you look at it as Bogo for Myers, Kane was traded for Armia+Lemieux+late 1st.

They would definitely want Carlson, that's probably where their demands start :lol

ShaneB

You'd have Burakovsky on the trade block? I want to see him develop into something.

Top Bottom