• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL January 2017 |OT| May 2016's reign of terror end with the Wild's sacrificial loss

Socreges

Banned
I think an old friend of mine has gotten himself involved in a pyramid scheme.....

Anybody here have experience with this BS? He seems to have fully drank their kool-aid and I don't know if I can convince him of what he has gotten himself into.
I'm guessing you're talking about MLM. Which one? Show him this video

I think an old friend of mine has gotten himself involved in a pyramid scheme.....

Anybody here have experience with this BS? He seems to have fully drank their kool-aid and I don't know if I can convince him of what he has gotten himself into.

One of my best friends from high school got deep into Amway. It was pretty sad because he was like the first one of my friends who got his own place after high school but he had to sell his car and move back in with his parents because he had no money after a while of making no money with them. And he still kept going with it after!!

It was really uncomfortable because I got the vibe that everything he said and did was like pre-approved by Amway, like he literally started to seem like a robot with how he acted.

Pretty sure he's not in it anymore but I haven't talked to him in like over a year, pretty much all of his existing friendships fell apart and he was only associating with other Amwanians for a while.

Parch

They're switching up the skills comp with different stuff this year. No more costume/hot dogging shootout anymore, which is fine by me. They screwed up more often and not, and sorry Ovechkin, wearing a stupid hat doesn't make you a comic genius. It's like the drunk uncle who wears a lampshade thinking he's the life of the party.

There are a few skeptoid episodes about it. Maybe point out that once you get past 14 levels of five that's every man, woman, and child on the planet? Try and make him understand that he is the customer, not the people he's trying to sell to? Point out that you have better odds of winning a game of roulette than making money off an MLM?

Edit: https://skeptoid.com/episodes/4176

Some fun facts:

-The nonprofit Consumer Awareness Institute analyzed available data published by the MLM companies themselves. Of the companies surveyed, they reported the least successful was Amway/Quixtar where 99.99% of distributors lose money, and the most successful was Herbalife, where 99.42% of distributors lose money.

-They also surveyed 200 tax preparers in three counties in Idaho and Utah, where 6% of residents are active network marketing participants. From over 300,000 tax returns, not a single one reported significant profits from network marketing activities.

-In a Wisconsin lawsuit, the tax returns of the top 200 of 20,000 network marketing participants were examined by the Attorney General. The average income of this top 1% was -$900.

-Newsweek found that fewer than 1% of MonaVie distributors ever qualified for any commission at all, and less than 1 in 1,000 recovered the cost of their required monthly purchases.

A lot of Montreal reporters are speculating that Beaulieu might be Trade Bait at the trade deadline.I know Nesterov doesn't change anything. But, maybe Bergevin is going to try to get a top center in RNH or Duchene or Top 2 Defenceman. A few months to go to for the trade deadline, we'll see

"Life Leadership"

I've heard of avon, amway, herbalife, etc. in the past but hadn't heard of these guys before.

Me neither.

Their careers page is ... interesting. It doesn't seem to actually link to a recruitment system, or even mention a single position title at all.

If all this sounds like the kind of place where you'd like to be, and you think you have what it takes to be part of our team, we invite you to review our MANADATORY checklist for all of our employees:

• Unquestionable integrity, honesty and character
• Old-school loyalty and work ethic
• Positive Attitude
• Drug-free
• Drama-free
• Insatiable desire to continuously grow and improve
• Work well with others
• You care about making a difference and not just a paycheck
• You are NOT an independent Life Member, or family member of an independent Life Member

Uhhhh. How did you friend get swept up in this?

Pre-edit: My friend's wife got caught up in one, and he basically had to stage an intervention. She was recruited by a 'friend' via Facebook. I think it was Primerica.

My own wife nearly got pulled into one of these too. She was invited over to a friend's house for coffee, and it ended up being this weird high-pressure sales pitch.

Old-school loyalty and work ethic! It's like a hockey coach wrote that list.

Maybe the best approach for your friend is to point him/her toward an actual sales job? I There are lots, and even some of the retail ones can provide a pretty good income.

Parch

A lot of Montreal reporters are speculating that Beaulieu might be Trade Bait at the trade deadline.I know Nesterov doesn't change anything. But, maybe Bergevin is going to try to get a top center in RNH or Duchene or Top 2 Defenceman. A few months to go to for the trade deadline, we'll see
Interesting. Beaulieu has been pretty good on the powerplay. Is another center really necessary? Danault and a healthy Galchenyuk can get the job done, so how much has Plekanek lost respect?
I'm just really, really reluctant to trade good, young defencemen for forwards unless there's some sort of salary cap or contract issue.

imBask

Banned
Interesting. Beaulieu has been pretty good on the powerplay. Is another center really necessary? Danault and a healthy Galchenyuk can get the job done, so how much has Plekanek lost respect?
I'm just really, really reluctant to trade good, young defencemen for forwards unless there's some sort of salary cap or contract issue.

Plekanec is atrocious this season

Danault is my boy but he's not a 2nd center, he's a good 3rd center. I'm also not too hot on the idea of trading Beaulieu but if it's what it takes, do it, we're all in anyway

Montreal definitely needs a True 2nd Line Center. Plekanec has lost a step this season for sure, if a team wants him, We probably would like someone similar, maybe younger and a draft pick. I don't think Hanzal is that guy for us.

Danault is a very very good 3rd Line Center, he's replacing Desharnais for sure so there no issues for the third line.

I feel that RNH is the right guy for Montreal to pursue as of right now unless someone else becomes available. He and Galchenyuk would be a powerful force in the east. But I doubt RNH will be available with the Oilers in a playoff spot.

Holy shit that Laine for Marner Twitter poll is at exactly 50/50 with almost 9000 votes. I feel like it's pretty obvious personally but people are split.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
I'd rather hold onto Brolieu, but if what it takes to get that impact top forward comes down to Beaulieu or Sergachev, see ya Beaulieu. I think it's been pretty obvious they're showcasing him, lots of PP time and just ice time in general, not to mention his name has come up before, and he's not a Bergevin type of player.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
It's funny how there's decent parity in the league if you just completely ignore the Yotes&Avs.

iLLmAtlc

Those MLMs are scary as f.

A friend once invited me to a presentation he was giving so I said sure I'll show up to support. Didn't know it was an MLM.

He spoke for like 2 minutes and the rest of the time the employees and manager were taking turns saying how great the company was. It was a recruitment show but the kicker was the employees attended every week to repeatedly get brain washed.

When I left the building I legit sprinted for a block before stopping.

Silexx

Talking about LV expansion draft:

Shawn Simpson ‏@TSNSimmer 3h3 hours ago

@Fffeisty Well he certainly would have signed Smith. Rumor has them liking Wideman. My guess is they take Lazar. If he's not protected.

Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaasssseee

Yawnier

Banned
Me neither.

Their careers page is ... interesting. It doesn't seem to actually link to a recruitment system, or even mention a single position title at all.

Pre-edit: My friend's wife got caught up in one, and he basically had to stage an intervention. She was recruited by a 'friend' via Facebook. I think it was Primerica.

My own wife nearly got pulled into one of these too. She was invited over to a friend's house for coffee, and it ended up being this weird high-pressure sales pitch.

I don't know how he got swept up in this, he wouldn't tell me and he has been vague about everything which gave me massive red flags. I was surpised he even gave me the company/business name.

There are a few skeptoid episodes about it. Maybe point out that once you get past 14 levels of five that's every man, woman, and child on the planet? Try and make him understand that he is the customer, not the people he's trying to sell to? Point out that you have better odds of winning a game of roulette than making money off an MLM?

Edit: https://skeptoid.com/episodes/4176

Some fun facts:

-The nonprofit Consumer Awareness Institute analyzed available data published by the MLM companies themselves. Of the companies surveyed, they reported the least successful was Amway/Quixtar where 99.99% of distributors lose money, and the most successful was Herbalife, where 99.42% of distributors lose money.

-They also surveyed 200 tax preparers in three counties in Idaho and Utah, where 6% of residents are active network marketing participants. From over 300,000 tax returns, not a single one reported significant profits from network marketing activities.

-In a Wisconsin lawsuit, the tax returns of the top 200 of 20,000 network marketing participants were examined by the Attorney General. The average income of this top 1% was -$900.

-Newsweek found that fewer than 1% of MonaVie distributors ever qualified for any commission at all, and less than 1 in 1,000 recovered the cost of their required monthly purchases.

Damn some of those facts are crazy. I'll check out the skeptoid episodes later.

Socreges

Banned
Me neither.

My gf's sister got pulled into Herbalife. She was obese and it was helping her lose weight (actually because the Herbalife crew was dieting otherwise and exercising a lot) so the entire family got behind her. They started ordering a ton of product as well. When I realized how deep in she was I spoke to my gf about all the negatives and she got upset. She didn't want to hear it. It was a positive thing for her sister and was making her happy, so nothing else matters. Inevitably things went sideways and the sister quietly backed away from Herbalife and now the family recognizes how poisonous it had been.

I was headhunted for a job interview years ago while working in sales. Primerica. Had never heard of it at that point. I showed up to a meeting at a coffee shop where the person pulled out a flip chart that was honestly pyramid-shaped. Got really bad vibes right away and ended it quickly. I'm a major skeptic, though, so I can see how it would be persuasive for anyone inclined.

Parch

I feel that RNH is the right guy for Montreal to pursue as of right now unless someone else becomes available. He and Galchenyuk would be a powerful force in the east. But I doubt RNH will be available with the Oilers in a playoff spot.
I'm getting the vibe that the Oilers are pretty happy with the way the team is playing right now. Team defense is good, and getting Nurse back helps even more. I personally would like to see a better point man for the powerplay so Beaulieu would be interesting. I just don't see them trading Nuge right now.
With Draisaitl looking so good on McDavid's wing right now, I'm thinking another winger would be Oiler's trade bait. But I wouldn't be surprised if the Oilers do nothing at the deadline. Right now when the team is on a roll, it's hard to give up a key piece of that.

imBask

Banned
I'm getting the vibe that the Oilers are pretty happy with the way the team is playing right now. Team defense is good, and getting Nurse back helps even more. I personally would like to see a better point man for the powerplay so Beaulieu would be interesting. I just don't see them trading Nuge right now.
With Draisaitl looking so good on McDavid's wing right now, I'm thinking another winger would be Oiler's trade bait. But I wouldn't be surprised if the Oilers do nothing at the deadline. Right now when the team is on a roll, it's hard to give up a key piece of that.

YOU don't see them trading RNH, and I completely feel ya

but you know how your team is.

I'm really excited for the expansion draft. So much speculation all year, it will be pretty interesting to see how it shakes out and what kind of team they actually put together.

Yawnier

Banned
Old-school loyalty and work ethic! It's like a hockey coach wrote that list.

Maybe the best approach for your friend is to point him/her toward an actual sales job? I There are lots, and even some of the retail ones can provide a pretty good income.

He's currently going to trade school to be an electrician and could have an actual decent job when he is finished his classes next year... which is I'm even a little more puzzled he got involved in this pyramid scheme/MLM thing even though I know that tuition and textbooks can be expensive as all hell.

Parch

I'm really excited for the expansion draft. So much speculation all year, it will be pretty interesting to see how it shakes out and what kind of team they actually put together.
There's going to be some scrambling going on as teams try to protect the players they want. The expansion draft is going to be a big factor on trades this year.

Vegas could end up with a decent team. They'll probably have to take on some crappy salaries but they have to reach the cap floor so that's not so bad. Mix that in with some exposed potential and they should be able to build a respectable roster. The expansion rules this time around are not as crippling as previous years. It will be interesting.

Socreges

Banned
He's currently going to trade school to be an electrician and could have an actual decent job when he is finished his classes next year... which is I'm even a little more puzzled he got involved in this pyramid scheme/MLM thing even though I know that tuition and textbooks can be expensive as all hell.
A big part about MLM is a sense of belonging, identity and purpose. So not everyone gets involved because they need to make some money.

Parch

what he said
Hall for Larsson worked.

New building, new management, new attitude. These Oilers are not from days of old. The evil McT has been replaced by the savior McD.

I'm still pissed that I occasionally see McTavish's face. If you're going to fire him, get him out of the organization completely. You physically remove him from the building and throw him in a snowbank. Then you trot him through the Edmonton streets like a Game of Thrones shame gauntlet so that fans can throw rotten vegetables at him.
As a fan, is that too much to ask?

calder

Glad he's working out for you guys. He wasn't getting the ice time here to be able to shine, really. I've hung out with him a few times. He's a real nice kid.

Yeah I've never heard anyone say a bad thing about Burmi (other than his play at times) and he seems like a great guy. Hope he sticks with the Coyotes.

C3IP4HWUMAAll-3.jpg:orig

What the shit lol. Really drives home just how incompetent the White House is on so many levels.

Its all beginning to look deliberate by the Trump Admin. Overload, wear down, desensitize the opponent while emphasizing the tribal differences between them and your supporters..

It worked during the election.

A big part about MLM is a sense of belonging, identity and purpose. So not everyone gets involved because they need to make some money.

Yea, like your gf's sis, the thing my wife was approached about sounded - initially - like it was nothing more than a workout group.

Socreges

Banned
Hall for Larsson worked.

New building, new management, new attitude. These Oilers are not from days of old. The evil McT has been replaced by the savior McD.

I'm still pissed that I occasionally see McTavish's face. If you're going to fire him, get him out of the organization completely. You physically remove him from the building and throw him in a snowbank. Then you trot him through the Edmonton streets like a Game of Thrones shame gauntlet so that fans can throw rotten vegetables at him.
As a fan, is that too much to ask?
Trades can "work" and still be bad. If I trade you a $100 CDN bill for a $50 US bill and people ask me why I got so little back, I could tell them that it "worked" because now I have US currency. But I'd look pretty stupid to the other people out there who would have offered $70.

Also, to be fair, McTavish is why you have McDavid, RNH and Draisatl. Oilers would be nowhere without all those high picks. So, thank him.

imBask

Banned
Trades can "work" and still be bad. If I trade you a $100 CDN bill for a $50 US bill and people ask me why I got so little back, I could tell them that it "worked" because now I have US currency. But I'd look pretty stupid to the other people out there who would have offered $70.

Also, to be fair, McTavish is why you have McDavid, RNH and Draisatl. Oilers would be nowhere without all those high picks. So, thank him.

and also it probably "worked" overall because McDavid wasn't injured for half the season this year

Socreges

Banned
Oilers are in a good spot now, but they'll have to sign McDavid, Draisatl, and Nurse to new contracts in a couple seasons.
McDavid will get 8x11
Draisatl should get an AAV of 6m at least unless they do a bridge

Their collective cap hit right now is under $2m, I think?

Should make for some interesting cap management over the next couple seasons, particularly if the ceiling doesn't rise much.

I got a game recommendation for you folks: Dragon Quest 8 3DS is a good port. It might be the definitive version of this game.

I bought Dragon Quest 7 on 3DS but haven't got very far. Partly because I have the smaller non-XL 3DS and I kind of hate playing it. Partly because the game is just kinda boring so far.

I've heard DQ8 is amazing though.

Top Bottom