• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Black Myth: Wukong | OT | IGNorant Ape

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Done with chapter 5. This one felt a bit rushed imo, or maybe it's just that it's short length and faster pace gave me that impression. Still having a lot of fun, and that final boss was quite challenging, until I learned the moves.
honestly i liked that it was only 3-4 hours long with maybe 2-3 hours of side content for you to go back and finish. chapter 3 and 4 were way too long. 10 hour chapters plus secret areas that can take another 3 hours is just too much.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
That whole bossfight against Erlang, dude now that was cool. Last part seemed like something straight out of Asura's Wrath.

I think I only have the final boss left. Pretty cool game overall, has a few flaws like many bosses being too easy and the game being full of invisible walls but, aside from that, it's pretty cool and a lot of fun.

Edit: just beat the game, and got the good ending! Nice.

I've enjoyed this a lot. Might even consider getting a copy of the book, although I gotta admit, it being 2000+ pages long sounds a bit overwhelming. :goog_relieved:

Last edited:

SkylineRKR

The final boss is probably one of the hardest ones, the last phase in particular. I ended up upgrading Snake armor since you're in water, and Ring of Fire luckily works in this case (and it should, because the final fight shouldn't lock out a build). This armor gives you health regen in water, with RoF its even more ridiculous. Not to mention the stamina buff you get from the full set.

Then I did NG+, talked to my girlfriend on the phone with the game on mute and when we stopped calling I just entered Chapter 3. Then you see how much you've progressed as a player, ofcourse everything is unlocked now but I evade a ton, abuse counterflow etc.. I run rock solid and no cloud step. I one shot both chapter bosses while talking. Chapter 2 shot up in my ranking, its actually not that big and it connects well. I let things play out different now, such as the 2 stone warriors duking it out and the order in which I killed the rat bosses.

I don't think I've played another game where respeccing is so fun. I also like it in Dark Souls mind you but it comes at a cost and its limited. I tried many, many builds during my first run. I went Centipede armor poison build, RoF build, Pluck of Many centered build, Golden armor Qi regen build etc. Changing your Curios, drinks, soaks and spirit can all play into a certain build, like self poison soak with a gourd that gives another attack bonus upon use. Or a soak that extends Ring of Fire duration and relic that gives a level 4 charge inside it. Its also worthwhile to spec on Bane protection for certain bosses, it greatly diminishes the effects. I never bothered with it until chapter 6.

The game has its flaws, indeed the invisible walls, and some boss balance and hit boxes are questionable (some big bosses like Duskveil actually evade a ton of attacks despite being huge, I hated these fights).

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
SkylineRKR SkylineRKR did you get the true ending?

Last boss was imo not too hard, but still quite fun specially thanks to how he taunts you, like when he paralyzes you when you are about to heal, grabs your bottle and takes a sip from it.

I think I had more trouble with the final boss of chapter 4, and of course with Erlang. Probably depends on build and playstyle tho.

SkylineRKR

SkylineRKR SkylineRKR did you get the true ending?

Last boss was imo not too hard, but still quite fun specially thanks to how he taunts you, like when he paralyzes you when you are about to heal, grabs your bottle and takes a sip from it.

I think I had more trouble with the final boss of chapter 4, and of course with Erlang. Probably depends on build and playstyle tho.

Chapter 4 boss was quite easy until he goes into this bullshit 25% health phase, that cost me a few retries. But he can be wrecked faster than any other chapter boss and its a single healthbar fight that isn't even 100% filled. I had a lot of issues with the last phase of Chapter 3 boss, but I was too stupid to respec. He's easy if you use spellbinder (and you should here), and lots of shock resistance.

I did get the true ending and many guides mention you need to beat the final boss twice, this is false though probably needed if you want all trophies.

I got the true ending by beating Erlang before I reached the final boss of chapter 6.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

man chapter 5's final boss is pure bullshit. the long attack combos stunlock me and i died like 10 or 20 times in a row to the same damn attack. in the end i got around it by activating cloud step for the entire duration of that combo and it was still a bitch because the guy never stops attacking.

the first boss in chapter 6 is the same. the secret area boss in chapter 5 was the same. these guys just dont stop attacking. flashes of elden ring. thanks but no thanks. i loved the game's first few chapters because the bosses would actually tire out and give you an opening after a long 3-4 hit combo. now the combos can take 10-12 swipes and they regroup in a flash. so fucking retarded.

Also, im level 90 and am using mythical armor with a lot of defense but it might as well not matter because every hit takes like 40% of my health.

went from loving this game to hating it in a span of around 4 hours today. 2 bosses back to back that are bullshit. no secret item for chapter 5's boss either. they really helped with chapter 1, 2, and 4 bosses. lets hope the rest of the game isnt like this.

april6e

I'm trying to deal with Loong and S-Lord before I finish chp 4 and it is breaking me. The latter is such a massive difficulty jump over any previous fight in the game. I'm playing a pure defensive build and it still can kill me in three hits.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
I'm trying to deal with Loong and S-Lord before I finish chp 4 and it is breaking me. The latter is such a massive difficulty jump over any previous fight in the game. I'm playing a pure defensive build and it still can kill me in three hits.
Defensive build sounds kinda useless.

Exentryk

I absolutely love starting a new chapter. The uniqueness and the difference in each chapter's aesthetic is a fantastic palate cleanser.

QBAqejB.jpg

Last edited:

Gaiff

went from loving this game to hating it in a span of around 4 hours today. 2 bosses back to back that are bullshit. no secret item for chapter 5's boss either. they really helped with chapter 1, 2, and 4 bosses. lets hope the rest of the game isnt like this.
Lol, I had the same complaint, but compared to SOTE, this was a walk in the park. I recommend abusing Cloud Step and your transformations. What I highly recommend is not to use your transformations only at the end of the fight. Golden Lining and Ebon Flow can get A LOT of damage in early into the fight and when you really need them in a pinch, they might have cooled down and you can reuse them again. This is a nice trade-off because during the transformation and Cloud Step, you're also invincible. Cloud Step is also invaluable in giving you time to breathe, heal, and apply buffs, even when unupgraded.

Also, the secret item in Chapter 5 is insanely useful against ANY boss. It essentially stuns them for a good 15-20 seconds. It's the best Vessel along with Wind Tamer.

Last thing, got bad news for you about the final boss and the secret final boss...

Last edited:

RainyNguyen

man chapter 5's final boss is pure bullshit. the long attack combos stunlock me and i died like 10 or 20 times in a row to the same damn attack. in the end i got around it by activating cloud step for the entire duration of that combo and it was still a bitch because the guy never stops attacking.

the first boss in chapter 6 is the same. the secret area boss in chapter 5 was the same. these guys just dont stop attacking. flashes of elden ring. thanks but no thanks. i loved the game's first few chapters because the bosses would actually tire out and give you an opening after a long 3-4 hit combo. now the combos can take 10-12 swipes and they regroup in a flash. so fucking retarded.

Also, im level 90 and am using mythical armor with a lot of defense but it might as well not matter because every hit takes like 40% of my health.

God bless you :messenger_tears_of_joy: , those bosses are pretty easy for me and most people, just a few tries and they're down. I'm afraid you might go crazy fighting the last two bosses, haha. Do you know Isshin from Sekiro? :messenger_beaming:

Scary_Larry

Neo Member
Here's another fun detail: here's the person who wrote that well-balanced article a full week after publishing it:

Keep in mind that the "female character" she(?) "finally crossed" here is not even mid-way through Act 3 (as soon as you reach the turtle).
In other words the previous article was demonstrably written without having experienced virtually anything about the game.

This is something else. The comments in this are savage.

skneogaf

I messed up as I checked my inventory and saw that I have deathstinger, I didn't realise there is two types! 🤦

One material for armour and one for curio I think its called.

I will have to try and get the armour on new game plus.

Gaiff

Female characters in this game are total knockouts. They aren't sexualized, but their models just look insanely good. The western studios should take note from this; you CAN have good looking females without being sexualized. Just look at these Wukong designs.

hq720.jpg
The women adhere to traditional Chinese beauty standards. They’re all beautiful, well-spoken, polite, elegant, and feminine. They aren’t sexualized because pretty much any pre-modern culture (and even modern ones) frown upon women exposing themselves or being flirty/provocative.

You are also correct that it’s entire possible to create beautiful women that aren’t sexualized, but the problem of these people is their insecurity. Beautiful women hit their deepest fears and they don’t want to see them because it reminds them of their own flaws. Instead of using them as fuel and inspiration like normal people would, they’d rather delete them and act like they don’t exist because self-improvement and striving to be better is oppression from the patriarchy.

Elios83

Got the true ending yesterday 🔥 🥇 🤯 🎊
Beating
Erlang
and the second phase of the final boss required a few hours of "get good" which is something I didn't have to do since Isshin in Sekiro but I did it.
These two and the scorpion king were the only seriously difficult bosses otherwise the game felt pretty balanced.

Fantastic game, I'd love a sequel with more NPCs and more attention to explaining the events and mythology with actual dialogues and cut scenes.

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

Gold Member

Defense doesn’t help in late game

Pick armor and build around the game’s spells. Perfect dodge imo is the main ability. Ochre armband for crit, Chest and legs fully upgrade galeguard pieces, see no evil headband,

I used a poison build from chapter 4 to mid ch 5. Then I realized that the bosses are sponges and it felt I barely made dents in them.

Spell binder build got me through the rest of the game, including Erlang and true ending. You have to put everything into crit chance and crit damage. Then you smack end game bosses with >4k dmg with a 4 focus. Perfect dodge armor bonus and the see no evil band allows you to be close by and actually build massive focus by just dodging, rather than trying to find an opening, because yeah, they make crazy combos. Practice a build on Tiger smith.

Exentryk

The audio design in this game is exceptional and it really helps build the atmosphere. Noticing it more in chapter 4 with all these things crawling about everywhere, but it was also cool to hear the chants in chapter 3.

Cmsgq2c.jpg

penb0R3.jpg

mLTOtRM.jpg

SlimySnake

Defense doesn’t help in late game

Pick armor and build around the game’s spells. Perfect dodge imo is the main ability. Ochre armband for crit, Chest and legs fully upgrade galeguard pieces, see no evil headband,

I used a poison build from chapter 4 to mid ch 5. Then I realized that the bosses are sponges and it felt I barely made dents in them.

Spell binder build got me through the rest of the game, including Erlang and true ending. You have to put everything into crit chance and crit damage. Then you smack end game bosses with >4k dmg with a 4 focus. Perfect dodge armor bonus and the see no evil band allows you to be close by and actually build massive focus by just dodging, rather than trying to find an opening, because yeah, they make crazy combos. Practice a build on Tiger smith.
Honestly, spell binder is the most fun i had with the game starting from chapter 3 when you get it to the end of chapter 5 when it becomes pretty much useless because of how much damage these bosses were doing to me forcing me back into cheesing them with pluck of many and vessels.

i will try going back to it, but tried the wind petal, rock spirit and giant ball trick to get Erland's shield down and it worked. i was able to get him down to just 25% health with almost all my health but he killed me in a combo. I just think the game becomes too mechanical at that point where you have to use all these very specific items and techniques and it takes away from the free styling almost bloodborne like combat system i loved so much. i guess they are making you use all the mechanics in the game for the game's final few bosses which is good game design, but its kind of annoying to get one shotted or stunlocked.

SlimySnake

Edge are such fucking clowns

Mr Rogers Clown GIF
Lets see what happens to this game come goty time. it will go up against ff7 rebirth, astro bot and space marine all of which scored higher. it will be interesting to see if this game simply clicks with more people like death stranding did back in the day after getting an 82 aggregate on metacritic because even though critics liked it they didnt think the game was for everyone.

i have played some astrobot. its really fucking good but wukong is doing so much more. ff7 rebirth i hated and i think the internet has also cooled down on it. the poor sales didnt help either so clearly word of mouth wasnt great. i dont know how goty talks will pan out but i hope wukong wins its fair share of awards from individual sites even if the VGAs snub it in favor of ff7 or astrobot.

i think they messed up by making the protagonist a silent protagonist and the story just a random collection of stories with randos you dont care about.

TintoConCasera

Lets see what happens to this game come goty time
Imo goty is more about popularity than quality. Poor monkey has nothing to do against Astro and FF.

i think they messed up by making the protagonist a silent protagonist and the story just a random collection of stories with randos you dont care about.
Yeah agree. I loved Wukong during the prologue, but the predestined one being silent through the whole game was kinda lame. The game also assumes you've read Journey to the West, which is a big mistake if you plan to make the game's story enjoyable to anyone and not just the chinese public.

Nasigil

Neo Member
It gets my vote for GOTY.

I am probably biased because I grew up with the 1986 Journey to the West TV show. When you are familiar with the source material, the story and lore in this game absolutely hits hard and makes for a great overall narrative. This is easily one of my favorite gaming experience in years.

SkylineRKR

Imo goty is more about popularity than quality. Poor monkey has nothing to do against Astro and FF.

Yeah agree. I loved Wukong during the prologue, but the predestined one being silent through the whole game was kinda lame. The game also assumes you've read Journey to the West, which is a big mistake if you plan to make the game's story enjoyable to anyone and not just the chinese public.

Agree because the story is pretty fucking good. But I almost never knew what was going on despite liking the characters. I kind of regret never diving into Journey to the West. I did watch some YT story explanation and I think the Black Myth does an excellent job successing it.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Back to the game. Defeated Wandering Wight and got some basic abilities.

Combat is alright. Everyone feels like a HP sponge because there’s not much reactivity. Also the light attacks have too much animation, but that’s Chinese martial arts for you. The ability that lets you continue with your combo after dodging helps a bit.

Progression feels good. Lots of different tools with the spirits and spells and whatnot.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
*DIES AT YELLOW WIND SAGE AGAIN*

FUCK

terrible game

im kidding i love it, but i cant beat this guy, without the wind nullifying potion or whatever the fuck. i aint got time to go around searching for all that. just gonna fight his ass proper til i beat him

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
I’m steamrolling chapter 1 & 2 so far in NG+. With spell binder on, I clear almost the whole chapter without the need to rest.

You basically become a god in NG+ and knowing the enemies and stages now I’m doing them much faster.

Who needs mana? Just monkey bonks

xi you ji sun hou zi GIF

SkylineRKR

I’m steamrolling chapter 1 & 2 so far in NG+. With spell binder on, I clear almost the whole chapter without the need to rest.

You basically become a god in NG+ and knowing the enemies and stages now I’m doing them much faster.

Who needs mana? Just monkey bonks

xi you ji sun hou zi GIF

I annihilated all chapter 3 bosses in one go. Not to mention the resurrection strand and the soak that refills your gourd should you die anyway.

Chapter 3 was great if you beeline it.

Chapter 4, not so much. You can just rush through the hollows and there is only 2 bosses there, but I don't like the layout of this place, it feels very haphazardly.

Basically no boss stands a chance against Ring of Fire, you're complete safe with it up and you can spam focus strikes. Also, upgrade the Pilgrim Set when speedrunning NG+. It makes you run twice as fast, running focus charge is twice as fast and there is a damage bonus up to 10 seconds of charged running. You will feel like ultimate monkey. I made the 2nd Loong staff, which is very powerful and puts enemies in shock state.

Last edited:

Gaiff

Back to the game. Defeated Wandering Wight and got some basic abilities.

Combat is alright. Everyone feels like a HP sponge because there’s not much reactivity. Also the light attacks have too much animation, but that’s Chinese martial arts for you. The ability that lets you continue with your combo after dodging helps a bit.

Progression feels good. Lots of different tools with the spirits and spells and whatnot.
I take it you’re still in Chapter 1? The enemy wolves in Chapter 1 are the basic trash mobs who barely attack. You’ll soon find yourself fighting much more complex and aggressive enemies.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
I take it you’re still in Chapter 1? The enemy wolves in Chapter 1 are the basic trash mobs who barely attack. You’ll soon find yourself fighting much more complex and aggressive enemies.
Yeah, still in Chapter 1. Just took out the three bell monk, water priest, and mistbro. The bosses are getting a bit more involved which is good.

Gaiff

Yeah, still in Chapter 1. Just took out the three bell monk, water priest, and mistbro. The bosses are getting a bit more involved which is good.
You played SOTE, so this game's difficulty is nothing you haven't seen. There are definitely challenging bosses, but none comes close to the likes of Messmer or Rellana, let alone Promised Consort Radahn. Usually, the White Clad Noble (which I believe is probably water priest in your case) is the first skill check. Following that, you get tougher enemies and bosses, but I'd say you won't see much of a challenge until 1-2 bosses in Chapter 2.

The game is decently challenging and can be VERY hard for someone not used to difficulty, but it's not SOTE or Miquella's Haligtree, so you'll do just fine. Just be aware that it does get a lot harder because Chapter 1 is by far the easiest. It's basically a tutorial level.

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
Also, upgrade the Pilgrim Set when speedrunning NG+. It makes you run twice as fast, running focus charge is twice as fast and there is a damage bonus up to 10 seconds of charged running. You will feel like ultimate monkey. I made the 2nd Loong staff, which is very powerful and puts enemies in shock state.

Yea, I learned about that too late, and now I don't have any goddamn fine gold thread, so that's an upgrade when they start to appear in ch 3 & 4.

I wish NG+ allowed the higher end crafting materials to drop randomly in all chapters.

SlimySnake

*DIES AT YELLOW WIND SAGE AGAIN*

FUCK

terrible game

im kidding i love it, but i cant beat this guy, without the wind nullifying potion or whatever the fuck. i aint got time to go around searching for all that. just gonna fight his ass proper til i beat him
what are you doing? each chapter has a secret level that gives you an item that is designed for each of the chapter's final boss. you should not be tackling bosses without them. you are just making them harder when they are already hard.

the secret levels start from basic to full fledged questlines with their own stories and the fifth and final secret area is literally the main ending of the game.

if you are not going to bother doing these secret levels, you might as well drop the game now. without spoiling anything, they are crucial to unlocking the fifth secret area which contains the true final setpiece. the best most insane holy shit moment ive seen this gen. it is what god of war fans wanted from ragnorak. if you just do the final boss you wont see any of this.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Finished the game. Brutal final few bosses aside, this game is something truly special for graphics whores and gamers who have been wanting next gen shit for almost 4 years now. This is by far the best looking, and most technically advanced game i've ever played. This is what GOW ragnorak should've been. The spectacle towards the end is just awe inspiring.

The game is just a bit too hard for an action adventure game like this. It's trying to be both souls and gow, and while it kinda works, it also ends up being a bit too frustrating at times if you arent googling the perfect strat for every major boss fight after chapter 4.

That said, it's extremely well designed and you are given all the tools you need to go become OP. It's fun almost 95% of the time, very focused and no filler. I loved doing the hidden areas not only for the rewards but also because they were fun to unlock even when following guides. It's like a game hidden within a game.

Lastly, the game is just beautiful. Yes, nanite and lumen are pretty. Blah blah blah. It's the cinematography that is top notch through out the game, and especially during the final few fights. It's like watching a big budget hollywood movie. It honestly looks better than the avengers end game finale which felt green screened to death. Without spoiling anything, it also delivers on the big spectacle thats been missing in this industry since GOW3 in 2010. Weird that they tied it to the secret final boss but whatever, it was absolutely the best next gen moment for me. This is by far my goty and probably my favorite game all gen.

Last edited:

Sentenza

I’m steamrolling chapter 1 & 2 so far in NG+.
Yeah, I finished my entire NG+ playthrough without ever taking more than a try against any of the bosses. Including Erlang who made me piss blood in the normal campaign.
I also flew through the entire thing in something like 10-12 hours (AND without skipping any content), when it took me more than twice as much the first time.

Nasigil

Neo Member
You played SOTE, so this game's difficulty is nothing you haven't seen. There are definitely challenging bosses, but none comes close to the likes of Messmer or Rellana, let alone Promised Consort Radahn. Usually, the White Clad Noble (which I believe is probably water priest in your case) is the first skill check. Following that, you get tougher enemies and bosses, but I'd say you won't see much of a challenge until 1-2 bosses in Chapter 2.

The game is decently challenging and can be VERY hard for someone not used to difficulty, but it's not SOTE or Miquella's Haligtree, so you'll do just fine. Just be aware that it does get a lot harder because Chapter 1 is by far the easiest. It's basically a tutorial level.

Idk, Erlang took me longer than Radahn or Malenia. Yellow Loong and Scorpion Lord is also on Elden Ring DLC level for me, if you fight them at the level you find them.

Gaiff

Idk, Erlang took me longer than Radahn or Malenia. Yellow Loong and Scorpion Lord is also on Elden Ring DLC level for me, if you fight them at the level you find them.
Solo? I don't think he's even close. I find him comparable to someone like Nameless King. Quite challenging, but he has plenty of openings, and his recovery window after some combos is quite long. He also doesn't attack you as soon as you stand up and has no guaranteed death attack that is hard to avoid like Waterfowl Dance. His damage output is much lower than those guys and he's a lot less aggressive than Radahn at least.

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
Lastly, the game is just beautiful. Yes, nanite and lumen are pretty. Blah blah blah. It's the cinematography that is top notch through out the game, and especially during the final few fights. It's like watching a big budget hollywood movie. It honestly looks better than the avengers end game finale which felt green screened to death. Without spoiling anything, it also delivers on the big spectacle thats been missing in this industry since GOW3 in 2010. Weird that they tied it to the secret final boss but whatever, it was absolutely the best next gen moment for me. This is by far my goty and probably my favorite game all gen.

Season 4 Wow GIF by The Office

That's high praise

BsilhSC.jpeg

Sentenza

Solo? I don't think he's even close. I find him comparable to someone like Nameless King.
Nah. Nameless king took me something like three tries. Malenia five or so.
I had to stumble against the wall called Erlang for two entire evenings and 30-40 tries to get him once and for all.

The thing is: your healing here is a lot more scarce in number and less reliable, your base attacks amount to basically nothing damage wise, he has hard counters for a lot of spells, while conversely he can take almost all your health with a single hit and (especially in its two last phases past his 50% HP) he''s absolutely fucking rentless spamming attacks to you. In his most concitate moments you don't have to dodge one hit or two, you have to avoid like five or six in a row.

He's a lot more unforgiving than most of what From Software usually put in your plate.
And that's without considering that people who use spirit summons and co-op always have a quick way out of difficult encounters in their games, that simply isn't an option here.

Last edited:

Gaiff

Nah. Nameless king took me something like three tries. Malenia five or so.
I had to stumble against the wall called Erlang for two entire evenings and 30-40 tries to get him once and for all.
Five or so? With Waterfowl Dance that just kills you if you don’t know the very unintuitive way to dodge it? With the health regen on hit? With the two health bars that give her a whopping 33K HP, almost twice as much as the hardest bosses?

Yeah, no. Erlang doesn’t have overly complicated mechanics. Learn the timing of his attacks and don’t fall prey to his delayed moves. You also have many more tools at your disposal such as transformations that completely nullify damage (and yes, you can stay transformed without him removing it), Cloud Step to avoid getting hit and getting time to heal/buff, Rock Solid to counter him, Vessels to stun/incapacitate him, etc.

Come on. Unless you looked up the specifics to beat Malenia because there are ten million builds in Elden Ring, you can’t come here and claim she’s easier than him.

Last edited:

Sentenza

Five or so? With Waterfowl Dance that just kills you if you don’t know the very unintuitive way to dodge it? With the health regen on hit? With the two health bars that give her a whopping 33K HP, almost twice as much as the hardest bosses?
I never had particular problems with it. Even without super-precise dodging, you back the fuck out as soon as you see the animation is starting and you are probably ok.
I had Malenia in her second phase since my very first try, and by the time I repeated that encounter other three or four times I had her dead.
She's relatively easy to stagger, for once.

I never had ANY FS boss stonewalling me like Erlang did.

Come on. Unless you looked up the specifics to beat Malenia because there are ten million builds in Elden Ring, you can’t come here and claim she’s easier than him.
"A bloodhound Fang and no fear to hit people in the face with it" is was what "my build" consisted in for most of my time with Elden Ring.

Last edited:
Top Bottom